Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Valve Controller Only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022 | 10:51 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Default Valve Controller Only?

Has anyone done just the Soul or Cargraphic valve controller and nothing else? I have found a few videos that seem to make a case that just the valve controller on its own might be enough?

Also, seems the Cargraphic contoller is worth the extra due to easier installation, but still reading comments that it might be troublesome? I would have my Porsche dealership install so thinking that wouldn’t be an issue for them?

Old 02-27-2022 | 11:00 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Coming from someone with 200cell headers and full exhaust... VC alone is no where near enough. The CG VC is the best choice.
The following users liked this post:
v3on (02-28-2022)
Old 02-27-2022 | 11:00 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

I brought a Cargraphic 3-mdoe from SupremePower shipped to Toronto.... all smooth transaction... Can't wait for my car to get here.....
Do you have your car yet ? When do you expect your car to come in ?
Old 02-27-2022 | 11:13 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

I like having a full exhaust as it makes the sound much higher pitched for me. I do recommend the Cargraphics 2 way over the soul due to the cleanliness of the install. It was easy to do on your own, its more annoying then it is hard. You basically only need a flat head screw driver and the right torx bit.
dnimi123 (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022 | 12:19 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

I put a cargraphics controller on my spyder and that’s it. It sounds great, but I have never turned it off so I recommend saving the money and just plugging the vacuum lines (eg valves always open)
dnimi123 (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022 | 02:52 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Good 1st step, but you'd probably want more.

Old 02-28-2022 | 04:26 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Have Cargraphic Valve Controller on my car, first mod I did along with T9 Memory Module. The VC definitely helped but it was still a bit muted for my taste and I don’t like loud. These are GT cars and command presence both visually and acoustically, though not shout ‘look at me’; pun intended.

To me, the car just needed a couple (2 or 3) dB over stock with valves open in my personal view. With Akra OAP and valves closed it sounds pretty sweet! With the valves open I think it sounds like a proper sports car.
Old 02-28-2022 | 09:20 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

You can always do just the VC first and see if that's enough for you. For most, it's not. The OAPs really transform the otherwise OEM exhaust IMO.

Old 02-28-2022 | 09:39 AM
Csquared-
Instructor

I would recommend tackling the exhaust in an iterative process; valve controller, OAPs, and then rear section.

Valve controller gives you a bit more control over volume and "mood" of the car. OAPs wake up the system, increase volume, and offers a bit more personality with some over run. Rear section can completely transform the tone of the note, and an x-pipe system is essential. For what it's worth, I believe both the Soul and CG products are great - give the installation instructions a read and choose which you are most comfortable with.
AdamIsAdam (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022 | 11:17 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Thank you everyone for the great comments...very helpful.
AdamIsAdam (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022 | 11:23 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by Csquared-
I would recommend tackling the exhaust in an iterative process; valve controller, OAPs, and then rear section.

Valve controller gives you a bit more control over volume and "mood" of the car. OAPs wake up the system, increase volume, and offers a bit more personality with some over run. Rear section can completely transform the tone of the note, and an x-pipe system is essential. For what it's worth, I believe both the Soul and CG products are great - give the installation instructions a read and choose which you are most comfortable with.
I think this is where I struggle with the order. I am coming from my 991.2 with PSE, and did the Soul sport cats on it because I found it much too mellow..ESPECIALLY inside the cabin.

I am leaning towards the OAPs first in this case, realizing that prob is out of order. I just have this feeling that they on their own might be ok for me, and I won't feel the need to have the availability to open the valves all the time. I wonder if in the end the PSE programming is their for a reason to limit the drone during that RPM section as others have noted, and that playing with it might be too much.
Old 02-28-2022 | 11:32 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I am leaning towards the OAPs first in this case, realizing that prob is out of order. I just have this feeling that they on their own might be ok for me, and I won't feel the need to have the availability to open the valves all the time. I wonder if in the end the PSE programming is their for a reason to limit the drone during that RPM section as others have noted, and that playing with it might be too much.
I would agree that the PSE programming is designed to reduce droning, but as someone who did the OAP first, I HATED having the valve automatically close during low speed driving, especially when I was hanging around with my friends or even just coming to a stop light. When I want it in loud mode, I don't want the car automatically turning down the volume.

On the flip side, yes, it's obvious that Porsche worked to reduce droning at moderate speed and throttle position. I like being able to switch back to the OEM program when I'm driving with the misses.
Old 02-28-2022 | 11:50 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I would agree that the PSE programming is designed to reduce droning, but as someone who did the OAP first, I HATED having the valve automatically close during low speed driving, especially when I was hanging around with my friends or even just coming to a stop light. When I want it in loud mode, I don't want the car automatically turning down the volume.

On the flip side, yes, it's obvious that Porsche worked to reduce droning at moderate speed and throttle position. I like being able to switch back to the OEM program when I'm driving with the misses.
Adam, do you ever find it too loud or annoying with the valves open all the time and OAP?

Sounds like installing the OAP first accentuated the fact a lot that the valves close during that RPM stretch, which made it much, much worse in your mind?
Old 02-28-2022 | 12:04 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
Adam, do you ever find it too loud or annoying with the valves open all the time and OAP?
Let me put it to you this way: I drive with the valves open all the time, but when I took my wife for a drive for about an hour, I intended to keep them closed but accidentally left them open. Then after 30 minutes, realized it and closed them. She never complained, but for a comfortable highway drive like that, I would close the valves. When I'm alone, the valves are always open unless I'm on the phone.
Sounds like installing the OAP first accentuated the fact a lot that the valves close during that RPM stretch, which made it much, much worse in your mind?
Well, yes, I suppose.

My opinion is that doing both gives you good flexibility and well worth the money. And that's coming from someone who choked over the prices of both the VC and OAP. They seemed over priced just because they go on a Porsche. But as they say, quality (or enjoyment) is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
Old 02-28-2022 | 12:13 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey guys, with M-Tuner on your 718 4.0L, we can provide custom code in our tunes to keep the PSE always on when you activate the button, so there's no need to buy a standalone controller.

-Charles@M

yellolab (11-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Valve Controller Only?