Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Classic Interior build questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 01:20 PM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 84 Posts
Question 718 Classic Interior build questions

Hey guys still in allocation purgatory and what else are you going to do in a cold mid-January day in the North other than play with potential builds. I am 99% going with the GB and classic interior - and just realized that if you select Leather option for the climate control panel and the steering wheel that it replaces the standard black panel with the Bordeaux red leather! Not sure about the steering wheel but the climate control option looks really good! Current build (with steering wheel - but won't get) http://www.porsche-code.com/PNAWUIS2

here are my questions
1) what do you guys think of the the climate control leather option? impressions on looks? please let me know if you have speced this and if you have photos...
2) Is the Dashboard Trim Package in Leather/Race-Tex worth it for Classic Interior given that you already have contrast between BR, black and silver throughout the cabin and the stitching is in BR
3) what does the "Door Trim Package Leather/Race-Tex" get you - I have read the description and still can't figure it out other than the Mirror panel... is this worth the selection

Thanks appreciate your thoughts and advice- hope all northern Spyders are safe and snug in their winter
hibernating dens and may spring come soon!

The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:52 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
Hey guys still in allocation purgatory and what else are you going to do in a cold mid-January day in the North other than play with potential builds. I am 99% going with the GB and classic interior - and just realized that if you select Leather option for the climate control panel and the steering wheel that it replaces the standard black panel with the Bordeaux red leather! Not sure about the steering wheel but the climate control option looks really good! Current build (with steering wheel - but won't get) http://www.porsche-code.com/PNAWUIS2

here are my questions
1) what do you guys think of the the climate control leather option? impressions on looks? please let me know if you have speced this and if you have photos...
2) Is the Dashboard Trim Package in Leather/Race-Tex worth it for Classic Interior given that you already have contrast between BR, black and silver throughout the cabin and the stitching is in BR
3) what does the "Door Trim Package Leather/Race-Tex" get you - I have read the description and still can't figure it out other than the Mirror panel... is this worth the selection

Thanks appreciate your thoughts and advice- hope all northern Spyders are safe and snug in their winter
hibernating dens and may spring come soon!

I have a similar build but with buckets.

Let me start by saying I currently own a 981 Spyder with the extended dash leather but let me try to answer your questions the best I can below.

here are my questions
1) what do you guys think of the the climate control leather option? impressions on looks? please let me know if you have speced this and if you have photos--I have not seen it in person but to my eye, it just adds a red stripe on a black center console. The interior is very red (which is a good thing) but I personally don't feel the need for more of it.
2) Is the Dashboard Trim Package in Leather/Race-Tex worth it for Classic Interior given that you already have contrast between BR, black and silver throughout the cabin and the stitching is in BR--I'm a bit confused on this option and I have not been able to get a straight answer. I have it on my 981 Spyder and I like it as the defroster vent area is black leather with red stitching and the sides of the dashboard in the door is also black leather with red stitching. IF that was the case with the 718, I would go for it. I have asked for anyone with pictures but have yet to see them. However, at least on the dash my SA (and the configerator) show it in red leather so I have no reason to believe it will be black as I would much prefer that. I think the ends of the dash in the door opening are black leather and that is what they are asking your stitching preference on. Without knowing exactly what it is I'm getting, I'm passing on this option. If anyone has pictures, please share them.
3) what does the "Door Trim Package Leather/Race-Tex" get you - I have read the description and still can't figure it out other than the Mirror panel... is this worth the selection. This does that little triangle on the inside of your mirror in red leather and it does the lower part of the door where the storage pockets are in Race-Tex. Not worth in IMO and I think I would end up scuffing the lower door panel if I'm getting out of a tight parking spot so I passed on it.

I also specced the leather steering wheel and shifter in my car as I think they age better and I like the way they look. I had Race-Tex in my last two cars and I don't like the way it ages in those high-touch areas and the shifter always looks dusty to me. I also went with leather sun visors to tie it together.

My other thing that I'm trying to get CXX on is the silver trim that comes in the Classic Sypder interior. Perfect for a silver car but not a GB. I'm trying to get it in either black leather, CF, or black brushed aluminum. If I can't get the CXX, I will live with it or wrap it.

Here is my build, by the way. 70 days till lock so it may still be adjusted:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PN1TRDG8

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-21-2022 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:41 PM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

Default Thanks for the input

Thanks Maddmike for the input. For some reason I think the leather kind of joins the centre console visually speaking. But haven’t seen it in person so hard to tell.

WRT to silver trim - I think it works. it ties in with the silver accents with the vents and the seat backs as well and ties in with the silver wheels (I will be getting silver wheels) rear lights and Porsche logo. I am definitely keeping it.

for dash trim - as far as I understand it defrost vents centre speaker and chrono clock are in leather and stitching and upper side trim (which is hidden by the doors when closed) is BR leather up top and lower part is Race Tex to match the front dash look.

hopefully someone can chime in on the door trim difference for the CI option.

btw love the look of the LWBS but heated seats is a mandatory in my opinion for northern climates like Ottawa especially if you want to extend the open top season well into fall and early in spring!

cheers!

Last edited by TriggerHappy; 01-21-2022 at 03:43 PM.
MaddMike (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 04:30 PM
Randy_B
Racer

Received 540 Likes on 243 Posts

Here is an image I did a while back pretty close to that spec:

Old 01-21-2022, 04:44 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Hey I'm from KW! I currently have in a demand order (no allocation) but if it happens I'll be going black w/classic interior w/red roof and silver wheels. Some of the things I'm considering:

FYI, I have a 2020 GT4 with the black/red stitch interior and both leather/race tec options you ask about. On the classic interior, the extended leather dash pkg is red w/red stitch. At this point, not worth the $$ for something you won't really be able to see. Extended on door is a tiny bit different as the little triangle behind the mirrors get BR leather. THen again, if its in the budget, load 'er up!

GT Silver trim strip - I have the std brushed alum. in my GT4, not the same as the painted with the classic interior but for reason's you mention, not a big deal, there is enough silver to go around that will match. CXX would be spendy and you can always wrap or get replacement parts right from Porsche

Leather climate control - definitely a yes with this interior. Its a nice touch even if you're the only one who knows..

BR seat belts, that would work well but don't even ask about matching the door pulls on CXX, I was quoted north of $2k..Again, get them later from Porsche if you want them to match the BR belts

Leather seat backs - of course you need the 18way but looking at the configutor, they are in black leather. A definite yes for me.

Silver wheels - I've seen them on a GB spyder and they are very nice, 2nd choice would be platinum, then black.

Roof - The red roof will look really nice against the GB

Brakes - steels, keep them red. PCCBs, go black.

Enjoy.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:13 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Puggz
Hey I'm from KW! I currently have in a demand order (no allocation) but if it happens I'll be going black w/classic interior w/red roof and silver wheels. Some of the things I'm considering:

FYI, I have a 2020 GT4 with the black/red stitch interior and both leather/race tec options you ask about. On the classic interior, the extended leather dash pkg is red w/red stitch. At this point, not worth the $$ for something you won't really be able to see. Extended on door is a tiny bit different as the little triangle behind the mirrors get BR leather. THen again, if its in the budget, load 'er up!

GT Silver trim strip - I have the std brushed alum. in my GT4, not the same as the painted with the classic interior but for reason's you mention, not a big deal, there is enough silver to go around that will match. CXX would be spendy and you can always wrap or get replacement parts right from Porsche

Leather climate control - definitely a yes with this interior. Its a nice touch even if you're the only one who knows..

BR seat belts, that would work well but don't even ask about matching the door pulls on CXX, I was quoted north of $2k..Again, get them later from Porsche if you want them to match the BR belts

Leather seat backs - of course you need the 18way but looking at the configutor, they are in black leather. A definite yes for me.

Silver wheels - I've seen them on a GB spyder and they are very nice, 2nd choice would be platinum, then black.

Roof - The red roof will look really nice against the GB

Brakes - steels, keep them red. PCCBs, go black.

Enjoy.
On my 981 Spyder I have the 18 ways and leather seatbacks. It does look nice but I don't think I would splurge on it if I created the build. I'm 6'1" so my seats pretty much are in the full back position.

Seatbelts, on my 981 are silver which matches the exterior and the trim. On this build, I'm keeping them black as I think there is plenty of BR to go around.

I guess I would like to see the AC panel in leather. I admit that I have not seen it in person so I may like it. Not sure if I would pony up.

I'm waiting to see if they will do the CXX on the interior trip and the price. I thought CF would look good with the buckets. But, north of $4-$5k, I won't do it.

On the PCCB with GB and classic interior, I'm keeping mine yellow the way the Porsche gods intended. I like the way the yellow works with either Shark or Genitian Blue. In the configurator I don't think it clashes with the interior. Of course, I have not seen this in the flesh or pictures of a real car so if anyone has that, I would love to see it. I figured, worst case if I hate it I can always get them painted by my paint guy who touches up all the high end dealer cars in my town and is quite reasonable ($600 to respray and blend a bumper). Bit, I have a feeling that I'll like it as the blue and red are dark enough.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-21-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:15 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz
Hey I'm from KW!.
KW?

WCI for me. Played against Gretzky every year until 14 or 15 or so.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:50 PM
goretexpretzels
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Moved recently from Ottawa to Vancouver. Have a GB+classic+silver wheels. Would have been neat to have our cars together 😉

No insight into the questions you asked as I didn't go that deep into options, but certainly can voice my happiness with the general colour combo!
MaddMike (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 04:26 PM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

Originally Posted by goretexpretzels
Moved recently from Ottawa to Vancouver. Have a GB+classic+silver wheels. Would have been neat to have our cars together 😉

No insight into the questions you asked as I didn't go that deep into options, but certainly can voice my happiness with the general colour combo!
Yes really enjoy your pics from @vancityspyder of your Beautiful GB + classic interior + silver wheels - every time I have doubts about the colour combo or get temped by sexy GT Silver or chalk builds - I just have to go look at your posts to come back in line. 😂 and screw driving here in Ottawa I’ll join you in BC! Me thinks you have slightly better driving roads! Road Trip! That is if I get a build…🤞🙏
Old 01-23-2022, 05:07 PM
998R
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 112 Posts

I think CXX Carbon Fibre trim is a must if you are going a colour other than GT Silver.

Cheers,
Harry.

MaddMike (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 05:33 PM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 998R
I think CXX Carbon Fibre trim is a must if you are going a colour other than GT Silver.

Cheers,
Harry.
thanks for the input - to be honest not a big fan of the carbon trim. And if I were getting the LWBS’s might say yes but the backs of the sports+ are silver then you have the silver accents in the vents, steering wheel etc so think the silver trim ties in nicely. Plus who much does the CXX carbon fibre trim cost? - doubt it’s cheap!
Old 01-23-2022, 06:07 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
thanks for the input - to be honest not a big fan of the carbon trim. And if I were getting the LWBS’s might say yes but the backs of the sports+ are silver then you have the silver accents in the vents, steering wheel etc so think the silver trim ties in nicely. Plus who much does the CXX carbon fibre trim cost? - doubt it’s cheap!
I requested CXX in either CF, leather, or brushed black aluminum. It has to be approved and my SA said he will get back with me next week if approved and pricing so I'll let you know. Leather may be interesting. Not sure if leather would be BR or black.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:04 AM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

Again thanks for all the input - after some additional research and going through a lot of video reviews with cars with the classic Interior I think that -
2) I will not be getting the extended dash Race-Tex option - does not make a lot of difference from what I can see given there is no deviated stitching in the classic interior and the side of the dash is only visible with the doors open - and I will not be doing a lot of driving with the doors open lol!
3) I will not get getting the extended door trim Race Tex option - as it only seems to replace a couple of pieces and not worth it - IMO

...and going back to more original question with the money saved on not getting options 2 and 3 -
1) will get the BR leather cover for the climate controls panel - just a nice unique touch I think that fits in well with the whole centre console. I know not worth $850 but....

Cheers!
vrae2009 (01-26-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 Classic Interior build questions