Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder 1 year ownership review

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 07:56 PM
jimbo11
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 718 Spyder 1 year ownership review

Hi Folks, I have driven my chalk/red interior Spyder for a year and put 3700 miles so far. I thought I'd do a quick 1 year ownership experience writeup.

My initial posting here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ter-owner.html

Some context first: Picked it up 12/30 2020. This is my weekend car and I take it to backroad/mountain driving. This is not for track use and I am doubtful I ever will. I love convertibles and this is my 3rd (past cars: BMW Z4 &981S Boxster).

- Manual tranny is awesome. I haven't owned a manual tranny since 1992 and with a 30 year gap, I was worried about getting back to manual. Tranny is really snappy and the clutch feels pretty light. It took me just a few days of driving to feel comfortable. I don't do DD with this car and I'm glad I made the right call. As for the long 2nd gear, I don't find issues with it. I am pretty much in 2nd and 3rd gear on local driving and back road driving. The stock exhaust opens up after 4000 RPM and oftentimes I like driving at 30-50 mph with 2nd gear with a nice exhaust tone. With 3rd gear, you don't get to 4K RPM on local roads to hear the sound. More on the exhaust below.

- Bucket seats: The best option available period. If I can choose only 1 option, this is it. I had a 981S Spyder with regular seats and the bucket seat makes a world of difference to allow you to feel the road through your entire body. In every other car I've owned, I have back pain after a couple of hours of driving and need a break. Surprisingly, I don't have back pain with the bucket seats. Somehow, having a fixed tight seat appears to help reduce pressure on my back.

- Heated steering wheel: Glad I picked this option as well. I consider this a must for the Spyder. Bucket seats are tight and it keeps me warm so no heating in the bucket seat is not a problem. However, when it gets cold and with top open, you will need this option. Driving at 45 degrees is doable with a combination of heat blasting, bucket seats and heated steering. Without this, I have to either wear gloves or close the roof.

- Manual roof top operation: Fine with me in terms of operation. Once used to, it takes less than a minute to open or close. Over the summer, I just left it open most of the time. Since November, I have closed the roof and it has remained closed till now. If one wants an automatic roof, the next closest thing is the Boxster GTS and that is a major choice to make. To me, an alternative to the Spyder is the Cayman GT4 and from that perspective, the manual roof becomes a great option to have.

- Audio: I chose BOSE and under light driving, it's fine. On the back road, the air intake and exhaust overwhelms audio sound. Actually, I just turn it off to enjoy all the noise from the car. If I go back to choose my option, I will take the standard audio. My 981S Boxster, I had much better use of the BOSE system.

- Factory exhaust: It's loud enough for me, if I can leave the valve open all the time. I don't know why it has a sports exhaust switch and valve opening is controlled independently. Everything comes alive once you reach 3500-4000 RPM and the valve opens up. I want to leave it open and I will be looking for an aftermarket valve controller soon.

Chassis/suspension: A notch (or two) above my 981S Boxster setup. When I got the 981S back in 2015 (from BMW Z4), the difference was pretty big and I felt the similar gap here as well. When I first got the 981S, I thought there was no body roll. Back to back driving between 981S and Spyder, I sensed small body roll from 981S and even slight feel of body flex on hard cornering. Not easy to describe the sensation but this is how I would describe the 'delicate' difference: For Spyder, someone built the suspensions/chassis first and put the rest of the car around it. For the 981S, the car was built already and the suspension was added afterwards. Again, it may be an exaggeration but there was a definite improvement. The road manner is still good enough for regular driving. With that being said, it is close to the limit for my taste and I don't think I will be ok with anything stiffer.

- Tire choice: I chose the Michelin PS4S and it's great for what I need. I am pretty sure the tack tire is better but for my driving, PS4S serves just fine. So far, I had only 2 times where it slipped in tight corners. I doubt I will take this car to a track.

- Front lip: The original one is still intact while the bottom of the lip has some scratch (not visible unless you look for it from underneath). I was a bit worried when I bought the car initially. With careful driving, I don't see that someone will damage the bumper (I heard bumper replacement cost is crazy).

PPF films/ceramic coating: I did ceramic coating and it cost me $800. I thought about PPF but the cost ( got a quote as high as $10K) is simply not justifiable to me. For a weekend car, the ceramic coating was great and so far all I need to do is a quick bath every 2 months in my driveway.

Overall, the car is beautiful. I chose the Spyder because I love open air driving and it is my favorite design in the Porsche lineup. Compared to my 981S, it feels a notch or two above in terms of driving experience.

It's born for an open-roof canyon-carving experience. I am planning to keep this one for the next 15+ years and by then, I am pretty sure my daughter will try to take it over. :)

Last edited by jimbo11; 01-07-2022 at 08:03 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by jimbo11:
Adrift (01-07-2022), IRM (01-07-2022), jeanrabelais (01-07-2022), StilettoPat (01-07-2022), Valeyard (01-08-2022), vcp13 (01-07-2022), WGJP 993 (10-14-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2022, 08:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Most of the Spyder reviews I have read are similar other than a choice of seats, which shows how great the car is since they have all been quite positive. It seems that Spyder owners could care less about the manual top, noisy cockpit and radio (for the most part)...long live the Spyder!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
bubbledragon (01-08-2022), StilettoPat (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 08:49 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

Ugh, between you and @Westcoast you have convinced me. I wanted the heated steering wheel but prefer the cleaner look without the buttons. Now I went and added the heated wheel--just when I thought I had submitted my final build.

I do love the Burmester sound on my 981 Spyder so that is coming over. You can wear earplugs at 90MPH and still listen to audiobooks.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-07-2022 at 08:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
StilettoPat (01-07-2022), Westcoast (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 08:53 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Ugh, between you and @Westcoast you have convinced me. I wanted the heated steering wheel but prefer the cleaner look without the buttons. Now I went and added the heated wheel--just when I thought I had submitted my final build.
Don't do it, that's what gloves are for!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Guaji (01-08-2022), Jeff Jones (01-07-2022), MaddMike (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 08:58 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I just did it. F it.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:11 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I just did it. F it.
Your hands, your money, your choice; however, the non-heated wheel looks better - I always chose looks over function.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:24 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Your hands, your money, your choice; however, the non-heated wheel looks better - I always chose looks over function.
I do agree with you that it looks better. However, with my bony fingers, even in the low 60s at highway speeds, I find my hands getting cold. Gloves are an option but can be quite fussy and one more thing to mess with. The MF isn't that bad, a little busier but not crazy. I guess I'm getting old.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:37 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

what exactly looks different?
Old 01-07-2022, 10:42 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,695 Likes on 2,732 Posts

I do love the Burmester sound on my 981 Spyder so that is coming over. You can wear earplugs at 90MPH and still listen to audiobooks.
LOL!

Depending on the gloves... the ones I use let that glorious heat right on through!

I guess I am the other way, function before looks and in my case on the rare occasions I look at the wheel It looks great, the rest of the time I am looking where I should be, out at the road ahead!

Originally Posted by Unstock
what exactly looks different?
Only the minimal addition of the multi-function buttons which also remove that goofy stock for navigation the MF screens.

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-07-2022 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,695 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo11
Hi Folks, I have driven my chalk/red interior Spyder for a year and put 3700 miles so far. I thought I'd do a quick 1 year ownership experience writeup.

My initial posting here:

Some context first: Picked it up 12/30 2020. This is my weekend car and I take it to backroad/mountain driving. This is not for track use and I am doubtful I ever will. I love convertibles and this is my 3rd (past cars: BMW Z4 &981S Boxster).

- Manual tranny is awesome. I haven't owned a manual tranny since 1992 and with a 30 year gap, I was worried about getting back to manual. Tranny is really snappy and the clutch feels pretty light. It took me just a few days of driving to feel comfortable. I don't do DD with this car and I'm glad I made the right call. As for the long 2nd gear, I don't find issues with it. I am pretty much in 2nd and 3rd gear on local driving and back road driving. The stock exhaust opens up after 4000 RPM and oftentimes I like driving at 30-50 mph with 2nd gear with a nice exhaust tone. With 3rd gear, you don't get to 4K RPM on local roads to hear the sound. More on the exhaust below.

- Bucket seats: The best option available period. If I can choose only 1 option, this is it. I had a 981S Spyder with regular seats and the bucket seat makes a world of difference to allow you to feel the road through your entire body. In every other car I've owned, I have back pain after a couple of hours of driving and need a break. Surprisingly, I don't have back pain with the bucket seats. Somehow, having a fixed tight seat appears to help reduce pressure on my back.

- Heated steering wheel: Glad I picked this option as well. I consider this a must for the Spyder. Bucket seats are tight and it keeps me warm so no heating in the bucket seat is not a problem. However, when it gets cold and with top open, you will need this option. Driving at 45 degrees is doable with a combination of heat blasting, bucket seats and heated steering. Without this, I have to either wear gloves or close the roof.

- Manual roof top operation: Fine with me in terms of operation. Once used to, it takes less than a minute to open or close. Over the summer, I just left it open most of the time. Since November, I have closed the roof and it has remained closed till now. If one wants an automatic roof, the next closest thing is the Boxster GTS and that is a major choice to make. To me, an alternative to the Spyder is the Cayman GT4 and from that perspective, the manual roof becomes a great option to have.

- Audio: I chose BOSE and under light driving, it's fine. On the back road, the air intake and exhaust overwhelms audio sound. Actually, I just turn it off to enjoy all the noise from the car. If I go back to choose my option, I will take the standard audio. My 981S Boxster, I had much better use of the BOSE system.

- Factory exhaust: It's loud enough for me, if I can leave the valve open all the time. I don't know why it has a sports exhaust switch and valve opening is controlled independently. Everything comes alive once you reach 3500-4000 RPM and the valve opens up. I want to leave it open and I will be looking for an aftermarket valve controller soon.

Chassis/suspension: A notch (or two) above my 981S Boxster setup. When I got the 981S back in 2015 (from BMW Z4), the difference was pretty big and I felt the similar gap here as well. When I first got the 981S, I thought there was no body roll. Back to back driving between 981S and Spyder, I sensed small body roll from 981S and even slight feel of body flex on hard cornering. Not easy to describe the sensation but this is how I would describe the 'delicate' difference: For Spyder, someone built the suspensions/chassis first and put the rest of the car around it. For the 981S, the car was built already and the suspension was added afterwards. Again, it may be an exaggeration but there was a definite improvement. The road manner is still good enough for regular driving. With that being said, it is close to the limit for my taste and I don't think I will be ok with anything stiffer.

- Tire choice: I chose the Michelin PS4S and it's great for what I need. I am pretty sure the tack tire is better but for my driving, PS4S serves just fine. So far, I had only 2 times where it slipped in tight corners. I doubt I will take this car to a track.

- Front lip: The original one is still intact while the bottom of the lip has some scratch (not visible unless you look for it from underneath). I was a bit worried when I bought the car initially. With careful driving, I don't see that someone will damage the bumper (I heard bumper replacement cost is crazy).

PPF films/ceramic coating: I did ceramic coating and it cost me $800. I thought about PPF but the cost ( got a quote as high as $10K) is simply not justifiable to me. For a weekend car, the ceramic coating was great and so far all I need to do is a quick bath every 2 months in my driveway.

Overall, the car is beautiful. I chose the Spyder because I love open air driving and it is my favorite design in the Porsche lineup. Compared to my 981S, it feels a notch or two above in terms of driving experience.

It's born for an open-roof canyon-carving experience. I am planning to keep this one for the next 15+ years and by then, I am pretty sure my daughter will try to take it over.
Great review and I agree with most everything you say (especially the LWBS seats), but will add that I do take my Spyder to the track a few times a year, great experiences and the chance to explore it's limit in a safe and controlled environment, highly recommended.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:58 AM
mojo12345
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Boxster s owner

Originally Posted by jimbo11

My initial posting here:

It's born for an open-roof canyon-carving experience. I am planning to keep this one for the next 15+ years and by then, I am pretty sure my daughter will try to take it over.
Thanks for the review. I currently own a 981 boxster s and I am looking currently at the same color and spec you got.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:20 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts

Your Spyder is exactly spec'd like mine, except radio. If I wrote a review after my 2200 miles, your comments would reflect mine almost to the tee. I agree with LWB, love them. Very comfortable and looks are killer - for me the sofa seat are a deal killer. I agree with stock exhaust, just have the vacuum lines fixed to have them open all the time. I have the heated steering wheel, so nice to have for those that drive during the winter and cooler months. Didn't know there was an aesthetic thing between the two and never noticed. Kinda wish I had PCCB's, but not available at the time of my build. Love the Burmester, it is quality and loud enough to be above the engine sounds when you choose that mode. I've heard the Bose is bad, so go big or don't go for music at all IMO. Not many have the Burmester, kinda why I selected it just to be different, plus I love music sometimes. For those still building their Spyder, I highly recommend all the leather and carbon fiber options. Don't settle for the plastic dash and door panels - looks so cheap. Aluminum foot controls is a great quality touch too.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:41 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by mojo12345
Thanks for the review. I currently own a 981 boxster s and I am looking currently at the same color and spec you got.
OP hasn’t been on RL since Jan…

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder 1 year ownership review