Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Tips/Tricks/Warnings Installing Cargraphic Valve Controller on BGTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 06:58 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Tips/Tricks/Warnings Installing Cargraphic Valve Controller on BGTS?

I purchased a Cargraphic 2-way valve controller before I got the car, and have never gotten around to installing it. But, I'm thinking of doing it in the next few weeks.

This video shows how to install it in a spyder:

This video is similar, but must be for the 3-way version, as it requires power. Mine doesn't have a power connection, just the two connectors for the exhaust wiring:

This video shows how to get into the engine compartment on a 981 Boxster, which I think will be extremely similar to a 718 BGTS:

Does anyone have any warnings, tips, or other advice on doing this install. I'm a bit nervous about it. If you've done it and it all went well and was worth it, I'd be happy to hear that too.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2021, 07:22 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 184 Posts

One tip or word of caution, is to be aware of the position of the vacuum hose on top of the vacuum solenoid before you start unplugging the factory wiring. When I installed my custom VC, that plugs in the same as the Cargraphic unit, I bumped the Vacuum line off by accident and couldn't figure out why my valves were stuck open. It was not a tight fit and easy to bump the hose off and not know it. At least on my car.

Also don't force the electrical connectors. Ensure to unlock it and work it carefully. If you break the vacuum solenoid, the whole intake plenum needs to come off to replace it.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:25 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
I purchased a Cargraphic 2-way valve controller before I got the car, and have never gotten around to installing it. But, I'm thinking of doing it in the next few weeks.

This video shows how to install it in a spyder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVN6...ist=WL&index=2

This video is similar, but must be for the 3-way version, as it requires power. Mine doesn't have a power connection, just the two connectors for the exhaust wiring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVHi4WltAhk

This video shows how to get into the engine compartment on a 981 Boxster, which I think will be extremely similar to a 718 BGTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMvm...ist=WL&index=1

Does anyone have any warnings, tips, or other advice on doing this install. I'm a bit nervous about it. If you've done it and it all went well and was worth it, I'd be happy to hear that too.

Thanks!
So the video's were good and representative of the install, work slowly and carefully and you should be ok, the area where the connector has to be swapped is tight so expect a little frustration when doing that part, otherwise the path for the wires and module placement was the same I used.

One caution and one tip, the edges of the engine cover are very sharp and will scratch plastic and paint very easily, be extremely careful when removing the cover from the car, and that tip, really study how the connector releases, you will be doing by feel, it was what slowed me down the most.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:16 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast

One caution and one tip…
Thanks, did you feel the sound improvement was worth the effort of the install?
Old 12-18-2021, 12:03 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Since you purchased this to begin with you must not have been happy with the sound - you will love it with the valve open all the time. Personally, I did not think it was not enough so I got rid of the stinking valves with an open exhaust, which now sounds fantastic.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:11 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttcbj
Thanks, did you feel the sound improvement was worth the effort of the install?
100% worth the effort, for a few reasons, when the valves are held open the sound is way more intense, cleaner too, secondly the ability to do this from inside the car while driving is perfect, finally when the need is there, late at night or when eyes are upon you, you choose factory PSE control and leave PSE off and fly under the radar.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:48 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

If my car was here, I'd look into mounting the control unit inside the cabin with wires coming thru the Symposer opening from the engine bay......I prefer that to having the wire coming through under the engine cover.....
Old 12-18-2021, 01:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
If my car was here, I'd look into mounting the control unit inside the cabin with wires coming thru the Symposer opening from the engine bay......I prefer that to having the wire coming through under the engine cover.....
I considered that route for the wires but was a tad concerned about sealing the opening, I suppose you could fabricate a plug that allows the wires to pass through and yet seal. Hmmmm?

And FWIW the seal on the engine cover is extremely forgiving, the wires are under no significant compression exiting that way.

Last edited by Westcoast; 12-18-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:48 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 184 Posts

I considered that route for the wires but was a tad concerned about sealing the opening, I suppose you could fabricate a plug that allows the wires to pass through and yet seal. Hmmmm?

And FWIW the seal on the engine cover is extremely forgiving, the wires are under no significant compression exiting that way.
Used the Soul Symposer delete caps to route my wires. Small hole, stretched over the wires. Not sure if the Cargraphic wires are long enough for that or not.

Old 12-18-2021, 01:55 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

I considered that route for the wires but was a tad concerned about sealing the opening, I suppose you could fabricate a plug that allows the wires to pass through and yet seal. Hmmmm? .....
2 layers of duct tape then poke a hole...... I did that on a different car, seal good, works great and cheap .... haha

......FWIW the seal on the engine cover is extremely forgiving, the wires are under no significant compression exiting that way.
Pinching the wire wasn't my concern, I want the mod to be more stealthy so it is not so obvious when the dealer take off the engine cover.....

Old 12-18-2021, 05:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh_357
Used the Soul Symposer delete caps to route my wires. Small hole, stretched over the wires. Not sure if the Cargraphic wires are long enough for that or not.

The Cargraphic modules wires would certainly be long enough, this is tempting, maybe next time that I am in there for something else.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2 layers of duct tape then poke a hole...... I did that on a different car, seal good, works great and cheap .... haha
I am sure the seal is good, I was thinking more about preventing sound transmission.

Pinching the wire wasn't my concern, I want the mod to be more stealthy so it is not so obvious when the dealer take off the engine cover.....
I have an understanding with my service guys about stuff like this... or should I say that they are used to me and my mods now.

Last edited by Westcoast; 12-18-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:18 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,066 Likes on 1,761 Posts

I'll be doing this soon. Has anyone cut the carpet on the Cayman so that the engine cover can be removed next time without having to remove all the plastic trim pieces?
Old 12-24-2021, 09:01 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

Absolutely worth it! Plan to take out the soundsymposer at the sametime. Also get some foam padding for where you run the wires. Finally buy some dynamat and press onto the top of engine cover. The car will sound much better and you will be ready for exhaust mods!
Old 12-31-2021, 10:26 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,066 Likes on 1,761 Posts

I installed mine today. If it ever stops raining, I'll take it for a test drive!

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17876589

Quick Reply: Tips/Tricks/Warnings Installing Cargraphic Valve Controller on BGTS?