Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Talk me out of factory ordering a poverty spec GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021 | 06:38 AM
elevensheep
Advanced

I had a GT4 with just the Bose upgrade, and I missed the nicer interior enough that leather was one of the first options I ticked for my 2022 Spyder.

When I was selling the GT4 it also put a few prospective buyers off as they were expecting at least the leather interior.
Old 12-05-2021 | 07:14 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

All great suggestions.. there are a few tasteful options that are low cost that can transform the cockpit experience if this is you're only Porsche. One of them is full leather... set yourself a budget and optimize ... led headlights is another ...
Old 12-05-2021 | 12:13 PM
slilley
Rennlist Member

I love the idea of a "poverty spec" car - I say do it! I've had my CGTS for 2.5 glorious months, and the car is phenomenal! I added a lot of options which candidly didn't enhance the driving aspect of the car.
  • I love the full leather with RaceTex, but there's nothing wrong with the default interior and RaceTex seats. Just pick the zero-cost option for the leather steering wheel and gearshift.
  • I went with GT Silver Metallic, but could certainly have been happy with White or Racing Yellow - both zero-cost options.
  • I went with the Premium Package, and I'd recommend getting this because it includes all the stuff that should be on the car from the factory
  • Definitely don't get Power Steering Plus - it's unnecessary imho.
  • I do like the Satin Platinum wheels - definitely would do that again
  • I went with the 18-way seats, but if I was spec'ing the car again I'd stick with the zero-cost 2-way Sports Seats Plus for a savings of $3K. My wife's been in the car a handful of times, and I don't think she's made a single adjustment to the passenger seat. And I've barely touched the controls on the drivers seat. So that was a waste for me.
  • I got the PDK transmission - my first time ordering an "automatic" on any car that was available with a manual transmission. But I've got knee problems, and will track and autoX the car a couple times per year, and the PDK is definitely a do-again! I hate to admit it because I've always been a manual guy, but I don't miss the manual one iota. The PDK transmission makes the car easy to drive sedately if I want, or like a banshee if I want.
So it looks like I could have saved myself $6K with a more basic build - and still had a phenomenal car with zero regrets. But that's the challenge of building the car - you don't want to skip options that you'll later regret. If the bucket seats had been available in the US with seat heating like they are in Europe, I probably would have selected those - even though they are a HUGE PITA for egress/ingress. So I'm glad Porsche made it a no-brainer (for me) to stick with the Sport Seats!
The following users liked this post:
Mdrury (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021 | 12:20 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catdog2
All great suggestions.. there are a few tasteful options that are low cost that can transform the cockpit experience if this is you're only Porsche. One of them is full leather... set yourself a budget and optimize ... led headlights is another ...
LED headlights are crippled in the US market. They're actually dimmer than the bi-xenons on high beam. Plenty of discussion about it in the 911 forums. Not saying don’t get them just be aware you’re not getting what other markets are getting.

Last edited by remington; 12-05-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2021 | 12:21 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

appreciate the purity of the base spec Porsche sports car”…not sure what that means, but sounds like bunch of tripe.

They’re called options as in optional.

I got exactly what I wanted, you should do the same.

Nobody is handing out “poverty” or “purist” spec awards on RL or elsewhere.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
MechEngr1287 (12-08-2021), minn19 (12-05-2021), Zhao (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021 | 12:22 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Why should we talk you out of a "stripper/poverty spec"? You could learn a lot from the experience. If your gut says get a basic car then do it! There is always a next car, trust me, and this maybe your keeper, Let us know what you decide and how it turns out for you.

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 12-06-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2021 | 01:07 PM
Deven
Pro

When I bought my first Porsche in 1998 (the original Boxster), I was annoyed with the excessive choices and a la carte approach to everything. I was used to Lexus, either you get the Premium Package or not, and that was pretty much it (especially with the flagship vehicles like the LS or LX) because most options were included already.

So, I opted for options I could not retrofit, sports package, cruise control, hard top (they used to offer it) upgraded audio and maybe the 17" wheels.

When I ordered my 911 in 2006, I realized that half the fun in ordering a Porsche is in fact customizing your car so it will be somewhat unique, and the a la carte approach (though overpriced) actually makes sense. Unless you plan on trashing/abusing the car, I think these cars 'deserve' full leather, deviating stitching, LED lights, upgraded stereo, upgraded seats, heck even things like the light design package, Porsche crests all sorts of places, illuminated door sills etc. as these upgrades makes your car somewhat semi-custom.

Ha, and 'poverty spec' I think seems a little insulting for a $100K car, but I think most of us call the minimalist spec'd car as a 'stripper' as in car is stripped to bare minimum options. Personal choice but my philosophy is to make sure you spec something that cannot be retrofit and you might want otherwise you might regret it. People rarely 'regret' options they don't use at these price points.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deven:
jeanrabelais (12-06-2021), minn19 (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021 | 01:20 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

In the interest of full disclosure I didn't invent the term poverty spec . It's perhaps more commonly used over the pond in Europe to describe the no-options spec of a particular car. So maybe I picked it up having lived over there a couple years and owning some poverty spec cars LOL.
Old 12-05-2021 | 01:21 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by remington
LED headlights are crippled in the US market. They're actually dimmer than the bi-xenons on high beam. Plenty of discussion about it in the 911 forums. Not saying don’t get them just be aware you’re not getting what other markets are getting.
Source? If true it can’t be by much.

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
appreciate the purity of the base spec Porsche sports car”…not sure what that means, but sounds like bunch of tripe.

They’re called options as in optional.

I got exactly what I wanted, you should do the same.

Nobody is handing out “poverty” or “purist” spec awards on RL or elsewhere.
I agree with this. Never understood why some care what strangers think of either what they should get or what others think of what they got cosmetic wise. I get asking functionality or an idea of what something looks like holds up of xyz etc. If that makes sense.
Old 12-05-2021 | 01:24 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

In the interest of full disclosure I didn't invent the term poverty spec . It's perhaps more commonly used over the pond in Europe to describe the no-options spec of a particular car. So maybe I picked it up having lived over there a couple years and owning some poverty spec cars LOL.
BMW forum non comp M3/4s are known as Civic builds.

Funny but far from the truth just like trying to call a base nearly six figure car poverty anything.

what are you really looking for from this thread. Do you really not have an idea of what you want?
Old 12-05-2021 | 01:48 PM
leaf345
Racer

If you don't want the options, don't get them. I personally wouldn't order a car without the leather interior, but to each their own.
Old 12-05-2021 | 01:59 PM
Deven
Pro

My understanding is that the 'Matrix LED' lights are not 'activated' in the US, probably because they have not yet been approved by the DOT. There are rumors that they will be allowed in the next 1-2 years, and then they can be activated. LED light are much brighter than the bi_xenons except on hi-beams, where they are slightly less bright.

VIDEO: Scientific Comparison of Porsche 911 LED vs Xenon Headlights - The Supercar Blog

The purpose of the Matrix feature is for the computer to selectively turn on and off parts of the LED's to increase or decrease intensity of the lights, primarily for on coming traffic. I think the camera system detects on coming traffic and adjust light intensity accordingly. I think it is an interesting feature that probably cannot be retrofit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deven:
minn19 (12-05-2021), remington (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021 | 02:26 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

I specced my GT4 with full leather, red stitching, carbon fiber trim, red seatbelts, white gauges, LWB seats, auto climate, and a few other things.

I use it on weekends and at the track and it feels special every time I get in. I love it. If I went with the plastic interior it would bug me every time I drive it.

Buy what makes you happy.
Spike Spiegel (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021 | 02:31 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deven
My understanding is that the 'Matrix LED' lights are not 'activated' in the US, probably because they have not yet been approved by the DOT. There are rumors that they will be allowed in the next 1-2 years, and then they can be activated. LED light are much brighter than the bi_xenons except on hi-beams, where they are slightly less bright.

VIDEO: Scientific Comparison of Porsche 911 LED vs Xenon Headlights - The Supercar Blog

The purpose of the Matrix feature is for the computer to selectively turn on and off parts of the LED's to increase or decrease intensity of the lights, primarily for on coming traffic. I think the camera system detects on coming traffic and adjust light intensity accordingly. I think it is an interesting feature that probably cannot be retrofit.
The 718 PDLS+ is not the same as the Matrix lighting system.
catdog2 (12-05-2021)
Old 12-07-2021 | 12:04 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Plot twist from the OP...ended up tracking down and buying a poverty-spec 3,600 mile 718 GT4 and giving up my GTS allocation. In for a dime, in for a dollar as they say. Loving that rubber dash and OMG is this thing fast. And yes it has the LED lights LOL.

(*not my driveway, thanks for the car Andrew!)

Last edited by remington; 12-07-2021 at 12:16 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by remington:
2020Spyder (12-07-2021), 75north (12-07-2021), LnC993 (12-07-2021), minn19 (12-08-2021), UncleDude (12-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Talk me out of factory ordering a poverty spec GTS