Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS 4.0 Drivers, Sport or Sport plus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 10:18 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick_CT
If you go into the car menu settings there's a place there to 'define' your individual mode, I can't remember the name for suspension modes, PASM? Just make sure the setting related to suspension is not set to the sporty setting.
Yeah, its really easy. I checked mine yesterday after reading this thread because I couldn't remember doing it and I haven't been using it lately(just forgot about it, duh). From the Vehicle window go to settings and Individual, and it will show all options, just check the ones you want and scroll back and you're done.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:45 PM
Keith4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I use Sport+ all the time and soften the suspension with the console button as needed to deal with rough roads or RR track crossings. I strongly prefer the linear throttle response offered in Sport+ and Normal modes. I do not understand the need for non-linear throttle mapping. If you want more throttle just move your foot farther. Aggressive throttle mapping can get you in trouble when driving the car hard and using subtle throttle inputs to “steer”.

Normal mode is no good for most driving due to auto start/stop and cylinder deactivation but is probably the best mode for spirited driving and track if you must rev match manually. The throttle response is linear and you can set SPASM, PSE, etc. with the console buttons. I think many GTS 4.0 owners would appreciate the ability to deactivate rev matching with a console button. I personally like auto-blip but would like the option to do it manually from time to time and without having to fiddle around with a bunch of ***** and switches.

Individual mode is good but some of the settings are grouped. I’d like to see more granularity. I can’t find a setting that will give me linear throttle mapping AND the extra burbles and backfires of Sport mode.

This car needs a “mode” that makes it sound exactly like a 981 GTS….
The following 4 users liked this post by Keith4.0:
baege (11-16-2021), manifold danger (04-19-2023), UncleDude (11-16-2021), Will-i-am718 (08-01-2022)
Old 11-16-2021, 11:02 PM
SwanSong
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 45 Posts

Great thread! One more question - what's going on with PSM (traction control, stability control, etc.), in normal, sport, and sport + driving modes? In sport +, is stability control greatly diminished or completely turned off? I can't seem to find the answer to this one, but want to be sure I understand it if I'm going to use it daily or on most drives. I’m assuming it’s always on, at least to some extent, regardless of drive mode unless I turn it off with the center console button?

As an aside, I also agree that the throttle mapping is too aggressive in sport. Therefore I prefer driving in sport +, so I can get the auto blip feature when I want it, but also like to dial the chassis back to normal.

Last edited by SwanSong; 11-16-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:26 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I always turn the dial to sport plus. The car feels right/focused to me in that mode.
Do you have a MT or PDK? For me with the PDK Sport is the sweet spot. In Sport Plus the transmission holds the gear a bit too long and it seems to be suited to the track more. My preflight routine is Sport and off I go.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:09 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by SwanSong
Great thread! One more question - what's going on with PSM (traction control, stability control, etc.), in normal, sport, and sport + driving modes? In sport +, is stability control greatly diminished or completely turned off? I can't seem to find the answer to this one, but want to be sure I understand it if I'm going to use it daily or on most drives. I’m assuming it’s always on, at least to some extent, regardless of drive mode unless I turn it off with the center console button?

As an aside, I also agree that the throttle mapping is too aggressive in sport. Therefore I prefer driving in sport +, so I can get the auto blip feature when I want it, but also like to dial the chassis back to normal.
this might help…….

The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
P-car-Vancouver (11-25-2021), triode (04-19-2023)
Old 11-25-2021, 02:06 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
Weird, I get that it’s subjective/personal but I don’t find that at all with the sport throttle tuning. I think it’s perfect and prefer it to normal or sport + because I think it is the most natural/linear feeling. I really don’t share the view that full throttle is 50% travel. Mine is a manual as well.

It’s good there are different modes so it suits everyone’s specific tastes.
Agree. For me with the PDK Sport is the sweet spot. In Sport Plus the transmission holds the gear a bit too long and it seems to be suited to the track more. My preflight routine is Sport and off I go.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:12 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
Do you have a MT or PDK? For me with the PDK Sport is the sweet spot. In Sport Plus the transmission holds the gear a bit too long and it seems to be suited to the track more. My preflight routine is Sport and off I go.
I have a manual transmission, so our experiences are a bit different. Again, I am so thankful my friends here convinced me not to downgrade to PASM. The ride is great with SPASM and this BGTS handles wonderfully. In S+ it feels the car is in its ultimate configuration for my driving style.

I’ll program the Individual mode for comfort settings on the highway at some point. Right now, when I have the time to do that stuff I’d rather just get in and take a ride.

I do not like Auto/Start/Stop and have not and hope to never experience three-cylinder activation, so I only use the drive mode dial past Normal mode.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
Alpha Ice (11-30-2021), P-car-Vancouver (11-25-2021), triode (04-19-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 04:21 PM
SierraGTS
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking New GTS

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
I always switch to Sport+ immediately upon startup and only dial it back on the roughest backroads to maintain tire contact.
I just picked up my New 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 in a manual in GT Silver Metalic ! I am absolutely in love with it and have put 700 miles on it in less than a week. I am blessed to live at the
foothills of the Sierra Nevada mtns below lake Tahoe.. North , South , East , West there are some great driving opportunities for a car like this. I traded in my 2006 Cayman S for this
properly outfitted Cayman with 400 horse So far my preflight checklist is the following
Sport Plus - ON
Auto Start / Stop - OFF
Proximity Surround Sensors - OFF

I can't wait to put more miles on this awesome machine and get it on some road trips this summer

The following users liked this post:
slilley (04-19-2023)

Quick Reply: GTS 4.0 Drivers, Sport or Sport plus?