Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Gt4 charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 09:16 AM
Big Fabri
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gt4 charging issue

Hi guys,I have a 2020 gt4 which is great. I brought the car to get a lightweight flywheel installed. Since then I got problems with the battery charging. Sometimes the voltage is around 14.5v and it's normal. The problem is that for a big part of the time,it goes around 13.1v and I had it once going 11.9v. I cannot find the issue. I replaced the ground wire from engine to drive train without success.

Do you guys have an idea or somebody had similar problem?
Old 04-15-2023, 04:52 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Isn't it under warranty still? Troubleshooting electrical/wiring is one of those things that is next to impossible to do over the internet.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:52 PM
planolemans
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

What is it at the output of the alternator? Check voltage and then current. That is where I start. +1 with letting warranty deal with it.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:29 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

In theory could be a bad battery too with the age since the car is about 4 years old it is technically long enough to have a battery issue especially if that car didn't sit on a trickle charger over 3-4 winters. I've seen a bad cell in a battery cause some really wonky issues. It would be very odd to have an alternator problem, especially on a car so new.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Larry Cable (04-15-2023), Rupert16 (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 09:23 AM
Big Fabri
AutoX

Thanks for the reply guys. I know electrical problems aren't easy to diagnose I wrote because I though that somebody could have gotten the same issues. The Car has the approved however the problem is that they don't seem to know what they are doing because they keep telling me the coding is the problem 😐.

I bought and replaced the ground wire to be absolutely because I though they might have been pulled during the flywheel change. The output is 13.1to 13,7.
I have a liteblox coming this week so we will see if it's a matter of a battery.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:38 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Fabri
Thanks for the reply guys. I know electrical problems aren't easy to diagnose I wrote because I though that somebody could have gotten the same issues. The Car has the approved however the problem is that they don't seem to know what they are doing because they keep telling me the coding is the problem 😐.

I bought and replaced the ground wire to be absolutely because I though they might have been pulled during the flywheel change. The output is 13.1to 13,7.
I have a liteblox coming this week so we will see if it's a matter of a battery.
Who is 'they' and what coding? Confirming, still under warranty?
Old 04-16-2023, 10:44 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
In theory could be a bad battery too with the age since the car is about 4 years old it is technically long enough to have a battery issue especially if that car didn't sit on a trickle charger over 3-4 winters. I've seen a bad cell in a battery cause some really wonky issues. It would be very odd to have an alternator problem, especially on a car so new.
Yes I agree with this person, my 2022 build Spyder has an issue with it’s battery I believe.
It was a June build but we didn’t receive it until mid September.
I followed it from place to place in Germany, including being caught up in that Labour dispute at the shipping port.

I also believe, once our dealership received our vehicle and being late, they spent little time checking all possibilities of a weak battery etc.
I can say this, because my wife and I only drove it a few times before placing her into winter storage.
I was surprised to find after less than 3 weeks, in my heated garage the battery was way below 12 Volts.
I had purchased the Porsche battery tender, so she has been on the charger most of the time.
Yesterday was it’s first time out this Spring, so now she’s insured again I’ll be making an appointment with my dealership.
Hopefully they might replace the battery?🤔
🇳🇿🇨🇦
Old 04-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rupert16
Yes I agree with this person, my 2022 build Spyder has an issue with it’s battery I believe.
It was a June build but we didn’t receive it until mid September.
I followed it from place to place in Germany, including being caught up in that Labour dispute at the shipping port.

I also believe, once our dealership received our vehicle and being late, they spent little time checking all possibilities of a weak battery etc.
I can say this, because my wife and I only drove it a few times before placing her into winter storage.
I was surprised to find after less than 3 weeks, in my heated garage the battery was way below 12 Volts.
I had purchased the Porsche battery tender, so she has been on the charger most of the time.
Yesterday was it’s first time out this Spring, so now she’s insured again I’ll be making an appointment with my dealership.
Hopefully they might replace the battery?🤔
🇳🇿🇨🇦
Regarding the bolded, trying to follow your story... You put the car in storage with a Porsche battery tender (CTEK?) and the voltage still dropped below 12 volts?
Old 04-16-2023, 02:33 PM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 131 Posts

Just checking that you have connected the charger directly to the battery poles. This is because the Internal Electric sockets disconnect from the electrical systems after a short period of time post locking/closing the car. I think this was to stop people draining their car accidentally by leaving a GPS/camera connected. So connect battery direct to poles in the frunk and see if the charger can sort the problem !
Old 04-16-2023, 03:11 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowy999
Just checking that you have connected the charger directly to the battery poles. This is because the Internal Electric sockets disconnect from the electrical systems after a short period of time post locking/closing the car. I think this was to stop people draining their car accidentally by leaving a GPS/camera connected. So connect battery direct to poles in the frunk and see if the charger can sort the problem !
This has never happened to me while using a CTEK charger and the smoking package receptacle. Over 15000 miles and 2.5 years in my 718.

If you connect an accessory such as a camera or radar detector that is drawing/draining the battery it will shut down. IIRC after about 30 minutes.

If you’ve experienced otherwise post up the charger and conditions that disconnected in a 718. There are some problem chargers out there.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:23 PM
Big Fabri
AutoX

Originally Posted by Westcoast
they means the dealership which replaced the flywheel. I started having problems after they replaced it. I have This issues when the engine is on of course. It seems the alternator isn't charging the battery with the proper voltage. It sits around 13, but sometimes it goes at 14.5 which is normale.

The dealership,keeps telling me it's due to the battery coding and that the car sometimes could loose it. Of course I don't believe them.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
This has never happened to me while using a CTEK charger and the smoking package receptacle. Over 15000 miles and 2.5 years in my 718.

If you connect an accessory such as a camera or radar detector that is drawing/draining the battery it will shut down. IIRC after about 30 minutes.

If you’ve experienced otherwise post up the charger and conditions that disconnected in a 718. There are some problem chargers out there.
Add me to the group that uses their CTEK charger plugged into the smokers package receptacle previously in their 981 and now 718 going on 7 years and never had it disconnect, and FWIW I do this on our 2016 Macan as well, through the smokers package.

I will however, go on to say that I connect up the maintainer within 5 minutes of turning the vehicle off and I leave the garage parked vehicle unlocked. This process survives for weeks and even months as long there is no AC power interruption.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Originally Posted by Big Fabri
they means the dealership which replaced the flywheel. I started having problems after they replaced it. I have This issues when the engine is on of course. It seems the alternator isn't charging the battery with the proper voltage. It sits around 13, but sometimes it goes at 14.5 which is normale.

The dealership,keeps telling me it's due to the battery coding and that the car sometimes could loose it. Of course I don't believe them.
Interesting, can we assume this is a Porsche dealership? As for battery coding, never heard of the car loosing that coding, unless perhaps the electrical system went entirely dead? Is this a Porsche supplied and approved battery?

Mine gauge indicates charges voltages that vary, but generally in the mid 14V range and quite often in the 15V range.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:46 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

My first CTEK was the official Porsche branded charger that was disconnecting after 30 mins. I replaced that charger with the CTEK MXS 5.0, since then I plug it in and it stays connected. I have always used the cig lighter port in the passenger footwell. When I return from a drive I turn the car off, turn the power on the charger off, connect the charger to the Spyder then power the charger on. I keep it in "CAR" and "AGM" mode. I have left it on trickle charger mode for over 3 weeks without any issues or it turning itself off.

This is the charger I use.

CTEK MXS 5.0

Last edited by Unstock; 04-16-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:57 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstock
My first CTEK was the official Porsche branded charger that was disconnecting after 30 mins.
There have been other complaints about the Porsche CTEK…

Quick Reply: Gt4 charging issue