Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS 4.0 vs. GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 07:59 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

If $$$ were not object I'd get one of each. Boxster GTS for comfy cruising and GT4 for track (with buckets). Well, if money were truly not an object I'd get GT3 for the latter task...

Since money is an object, I won't be tracking the car, the answer is simple. GTS with comfy accoutrements (sofas, Burmeister, etc...).
The following 3 users liked this post by unclemat:
Alpha Ice (10-26-2021), IL_Pete (10-26-2021), minn19 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 08:16 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Not quite sure I understand all the discussion about “street” differences.

You don’t need to drive at “8/10s” to feel significant differences at any speed on the street.

GT car upgrades over GTS in chassis, suspension, brakes, tires, steering rack, etc. sharpens everything on the GT4. If this appeals to you get the GT4.

The entire front chassis a-pillar forward is lifted off 991.2 GT3.

Sure aero and engine differences not really evident on street. With that being said the extra ponies, higher redline, peak power higher, and broader max torque curve don’t suck either.

Get the GT4 if you can accept the higher price and understand the gripes of such a platform.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:13 PM
REDCOMET
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
I wonder - did you add more options to the GT4? That's a big difference.

My GTS build (from memory here... but the highlights) had the carbon buckets, carbon trim, PDLS+, carmine red, nav, carplay .... and I think I came up around 105k USD.

My initial Spyder build had carbon buckets, PDLS+, nav, carplay... and came up just under 109k. Really the main difference between the two builds was the carbon trim, and the color on the GTS being a premium color (I wanted white for the Spyder, I think it looks best in white - but the GTS I liked the carmine red... and I didn't like how I couldn't also get the carbon steering wheel and shift **** on the Spyder, probably would've ordered it if I could)

I eventually wound up adding in the leather dash to my Spyder build because I wanted the extra alcantara on the lower dash, etc. but I was at $112k for a final build.
I just tried to add all the features that come with GTS premium package & GTS interior package to my GT4. lot of standard feature of GTS are being option in GT4 such as automatic climate control, heated seat...etc. That's add up. As I said, I don't plan to track my 718, I just love the look of GT4 so much that I have to settle without memory seat and comfort access that's what I miss from a GTS
The following users liked this post:
daaa nope (10-26-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 11:46 PM
REDCOMET
Instructor

My before & after comparison. 2 pic taken exactly 2 yr apart. 2yr ago when dealer taking order on GT4, I was debating should I trade in the 2.5 GTS for a GT4 but after doing some math, the cost to upgrade is even higher than buying a FK8 TypeR, so I decide to spend that money and get a type R. I really enjoy driving the Civic but after start seeing all the GT4 on the street, I know I eventually will go for one. Looks is pure the reason I pick GT4 over GTS. I am sure I am happier than 2 years ago

The following 3 users liked this post by REDCOMET:
75north (10-26-2021), Annona (10-27-2021), baege (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 12:51 AM
momo360
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
I wonder - did you add more options to the GT4? That's a big difference.

My GTS build (from memory here... but the highlights) had the carbon buckets, carbon trim, PDLS+, carmine red, nav, carplay .... and I think I came up around 105k USD.

My initial Spyder build had carbon buckets, PDLS+, nav, carplay... and came up just under 109k. Really the main difference between the two builds was the carbon trim, and the color on the GTS being a premium color (I wanted white for the Spyder, I think it looks best in white - but the GTS I liked the carmine red... and I didn't like how I couldn't also get the carbon steering wheel and shift **** on the Spyder, probably would've ordered it if I could)

I eventually wound up adding in the leather dash to my Spyder build because I wanted the extra alcantara on the lower dash, etc. but I was at $112k for a final build.
Thats not really a fair comparison. You added a lot more to your GTS configuration than you did the Spyder build. Keep them similar, and the Spyder will be $10k-$15k more.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:42 AM
baege
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by REDCOMET
My before & after comparison. 2 pic taken exactly 2 yr apart. 2yr ago when dealer taking order on GT4, I was debating should I trade in the 2.5 GTS for a GT4 but after doing some math, the cost to upgrade is even higher than buying a FK8 TypeR, so I decide to spend that money and get a type R. I really enjoy driving the Civic but after start seeing all the GT4 on the street, I know I eventually will go for one. Looks is pure the reason I pick GT4 over GTS. I am sure I am happier than 2 years ago
cool pics,
they really confirm that for me it's the front end and wheels that I like better on the GT4, the more pronounced side scoops and wing aren't my thing...if only they made a touring GT4
MendraSlife (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 12:02 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Thats not really a fair comparison. You added a lot more to your GTS configuration than you did the Spyder build. Keep them similar, and the Spyder will be $10k-$15k more.
Yes and no... you also "get" more with the GT4/Spyder in the way of performance, better suspension, etc.

The only things really lacking on the Spyder build that was on my GTS build was the carbon trim and the paint color. GTS looks blah in white, better in Carmine. Spyder OTOH looks better in white. Sucks that they charge so much extra for most colors.

Those who WANT a Spyder but settle for a GTS because of the cost bump.... you can forego something like "carbon fiber trim" and get yourself pretty damned close.
IL_Pete (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 12:41 PM
REDCOMET
Instructor

Originally Posted by baege
cool pics,
they really confirm that for me it's the front end and wheels that I like better on the GT4, the more pronounced side scoops and wing aren't my thing...if only they made a touring GT4
And the brake too
Old 10-26-2021, 12:48 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Not quite sure I understand all the discussion about “street” differences.

You don’t need to drive at “8/10s” to feel significant differences at any speed on the street.

GT car upgrades over GTS in chassis, suspension, brakes, tires, steering rack, etc. sharpens everything on the GT4. If this appeals to you get the GT4.

The entire front chassis a-pillar forward is lifted off 991.2 GT3.

Sure aero and engine differences not really evident on street. With that being said the extra ponies, higher redline, peak power higher, and broader max torque curve don’t suck either.

Get the GT4 if you can accept the higher price and understand the gripes of such a platform.
Some of us disagree. For me was there a difference? Sure as much as you are making it out to be, again for me, no. Speaking of tires, the standard R comps was another negative to stepping up to the GT4, I don't like street driving on them for a number of reasons. I would've needed to buy two extra sets of wheels/tires instead of just one. One of the many reasons I went with a GTS.

Also, your last line is kind of odd. Why put up with "gripes" when there is a really nice alternative that you don't have to. I know a lot here in this sub forum don't understand why some would buy a GTS 4.0 over a GT4 or I've even read people here asking why it even exists. For me and a lot of other people it is a perfect alternative to the GT4.

Last edited by minn19; 10-26-2021 at 12:53 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by minn19:
Alpha Ice (10-26-2021), Annona (10-27-2021), flynlo (10-26-2021), unclemat (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 12:56 PM
vtmikev
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecheng244
Hey Everyone,

My first post on here. I am looking for some insight to help with a decision I am faced with. Some quick background info, I currently have a '15 981CS that I love to drive but has alot of miles and would like to trade up for either a moderately optioned CGTS 4.0 or a light spec GT4. I like the 4.0 alot, but I love the look and pedigree of the GT4. I have a few friends who have them and they rave about the car constantly.

My question is does the GT4 drive discernibly better than the 4.0 on the street? I think the 4.0 is a great car, but I always loved the look of the GT4. I have not driven either yet, but will be going to the Atlanta PEC soon and will be driving a GT4.

Appreciate any insight.
the GT 4 is more lively , lower, better planted on the road and tracked focused.
The GTS 4.0 is more dampened , takes the bumps better, more insulated ,less likely to damage the front lip and bumper and a bit more agile, and tossable with the smaller wheel package. It is more like the 981 Spyder than the 718 GT4…..A friend and I I just ran both cars this weekend through Vernon up to High Point NJ this weekend
Old 10-26-2021, 01:05 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
Some of us disagree. For me was there a difference? Sure as much as you are making it out to be, again for me, no. Speaking of tires, the standard R comps was another negative to stepping up to the GT4, I don't like street driving on them for a number of reasons. I would've needed to buy two extra sets of wheels/tires instead of just one. One of the many reasons I went with a GTS.
You can spec PS4S right off the bat for no charge. So you're still only buying your winter tires if you don't trust the 4S's
The following 3 users liked this post by flynlo:
daaa nope (10-26-2021), minn19 (10-26-2021), StilettoPat (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 01:07 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
You can spec PS4S right off the bat for no charge. So you're still only buying your winter tires if you don't trust the 4S's
Nice, I didn't know that/got bad info from CA. Thanks for the correction/sorry for spreading more bad info.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
cool pics,
I totally agree, but Porsche is not in the business of making cars, they're in the business of making money, and they will sell more total cars and make more money by offering a softer, GTS model than they would if they offered a GT4 Touring.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:29 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
Nice, I didn't know that/got bad info from CA. Thanks for the correction/sorry for spreading more bad info.
Also please check me on that. I was basing that on the Spyder and assuming the GT4 offered the same. That is not always a safe assumption as certain things are different between the cars.

Also, referring to what Archy is saying, look at the 981 GTS. It had more aggressive styling…especially the front. In full agreement with what he is saying. I do believe MANY more people would lean toward the GTS had it had more aggressive styling like the 981. As always, a brilliant move by Porsche….assuming the margins/yields are higher in the 718 GT cars.
minn19 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 01:37 PM
LanterneRouge
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
No, not on a GT4.
minn19 (10-26-2021)

Quick Reply: GTS 4.0 vs. GT4