Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS 4.0 vs. GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022 | 05:59 PM
BrianShaw23
Advanced

You remind me of exactly my situation. I originally wanted the 718 Spyder. Then after more research decided that the 718 GT4 would be closer to what I wanted. Ultimately I decided on the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0. Much of the same car as the GT4 but far better as a daily which is what I use the car for. Same engine and exhaust, slightly less power but you'd never really notice it, nearly the same 0-60, etc. The GT4 looks more aggressive obviously but the Cayman GTS 4.0 looks amazing as well, especially in person.

Only have 350 miles on my GTS 4.0 so far and it's by far the best road sports car I've ever driven, the suspension is amazing - it does everything. Amazing handling and comfortable for the road at the same time. As far as the GT4, decided it didn't make sense to daily that car with its stiffer suspension and less road clearance as its front splitter is very low. Also didn't want to drive around with a big wing on the back.

Last edited by BrianShaw23; 02-07-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2022 | 06:16 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianShaw23
You remind me of exactly my situation. I originally wanted the 718 Spyder. Then after more research decided that the 718 GT4 would be closer to what I wanted. Ultimately I decided on the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0. Much of the same car as the GT4 but far better as a daily which is what I use the car for. Same engine and exhaust, slightly less power but you'd never really notice it, nearly the same 0-60, etc. The GT4 looks more aggressive obviously but the Cayman GTS 4.0 looks amazing as well, especially in person.

Only have 350 miles on my GTS 4.0 so far and it's by far the best road sports car I've ever driven, the suspension is amazing - it does everything. Amazing handling and comfortable for the road at the same time. As far as the GT4, decided it didn't make sense to daily that car with its stiffer suspension and less road clearance as its front splitter is very low. Also didn't want to drive around with a big wing on the back.
Yeah i think the GTS definetly makes more sense as a daily driver. I also dont think i could daily something as aggressive as the GT4. I think what my real dilemma comes down to really is price. We're in a car market where my ideal build for the GT4 only comes out to 116k. With ADM, that drives the price up anywhere from 136k-150k. Normally at that point i would consider used...however used are selling for an average of 135k-144k.

While the GTS 4.0 is a very compelling buy, this car would not be my daily and would be primarily for track/autocross/weekend. With that, its hard for me to justify the "softer" car but at the same time i CANNOT justify a used GT4 as i wouldnt save any money at all. I have considered the 981 GT4, but man, i just like the 718 better, and i amd heavily considering the PDK.
Old 02-07-2022 | 07:43 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Get the GT4. I’ve gone 15 GT3 to 981 GT4 to 18 GT3 6 speed to 18 GT3 PDK to my current 22 GT4 PDK. Out of the box the current GT4 is a very capable car. It feels just about as good as my modified 981 GT4. After I bring it to the same level as the modified 981 GT4 I won’t be missing the 18 GT3 PDK.
Old 02-07-2022 | 07:58 PM
BrianShaw23
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Yeah i think the GTS definetly makes more sense as a daily driver. I also dont think i could daily something as aggressive as the GT4. I think what my real dilemma comes down to really is price. We're in a car market where my ideal build for the GT4 only comes out to 116k. With ADM, that drives the price up anywhere from 136k-150k. Normally at that point i would consider used...however used are selling for an average of 135k-144k.

While the GTS 4.0 is a very compelling buy, this car would not be my daily and would be primarily for track/autocross/weekend. With that, its hard for me to justify the "softer" car but at the same time i CANNOT justify a used GT4 as i wouldnt save any money at all. I have considered the 981 GT4, but man, i just like the 718 better, and i amd heavily considering the PDK.
Ah I see your dilemma. Just regarding the PDK, it's amazing in the GTS 4.0. I can't imagine it being any better/faster yet it's slightly faster from what I've heard in the GT4 which is mind boggling.
Old 02-07-2022 | 09:00 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Get the GT4. I’ve gone 15 GT3 to 981 GT4 to 18 GT3 6 speed to 18 GT3 PDK to my current 22 GT4 PDK. Out of the box the current GT4 is a very capable car. It feels just about as good as my modified 981 GT4. After I bring it to the same level as the modified 981 GT4 I won’t be missing the 18 GT3 PDK.
So you'd highly recommend the PDK with the Gt4?
The following users liked this post:
Alan C. (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 09:34 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Only you should answer the manual or PDK question on your build.

You'll get people on both sides who highly recommend both in the common debates on seats, brakes, and transmission. The only wrong answer is buying what you don't like because someone else said to.
The following 4 users liked this post by Zhao:
Alan C. (02-07-2022), OttawaSteve (02-07-2022), TripleL (02-08-2022), UncleDude (02-08-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 09:54 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zhao
Only you should answer the manual or PDK question on your build.

You'll get people on both sides who highly recommend both in the common debates on seats, brakes, and transmission. The only wrong answer is buying what you don't like because someone else said to.
I'm actually unsure which one to get honestly.

Both are great options and have merits on both sides. I've actually never been conflicted on transmission so much before. I normally opt for MT unless the car has over 300 hp. Then i generally want a DCT. I've always been a slow car fast guy, and the one time i got a fast car (M2 competition) in a manual, i actually hated the transmission so much it almost made me never want a manual again.

And then i drove the Boxster GTS, and had so much fun i never expected a car to feel as good as it did.

Last edited by Xxyion; 02-07-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2022 | 10:45 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
You should do some research; the various Porsche Press releases do a good job discussing the GT4. Use the de press room…better poop.

Entire front clip and mount is 991.2 GT3. Axle and ratio, brakes, suspension, etc. Obviously rear is ME unique but same GT3 suspension.

Brakes, wheels, tires, PASM, PSM, etc are different One is a GT division car the other top range 718.

PDK, you’ll want the GT specific programmed unit that comes the GT4.

The engine makes more power, RL higher, makes max HP higher, max TQ band wider as well.

Don’t know about the hard tops but I have a Spyder and son has the BGTS 4.0…IMO huge difference.

Close to a PEC? Perhaps find a way to try them out.
Excellent summary of the differences!

Honestly, and this is not intended as offense in any way towards GTS owners, but I feel if the 4.0 wasn’t available in the GTS, there wouldn’t be much cross shopping with the GT4.

Recently a good friend picked up a GTS and I had a chance to have a go in it. IMHO, they are very different vehicles. Not quite the difference between 911 GTS and GT3 but still very close. If they didn’t have the same motor (GTS making less power) they would feel like distant cousins.

Based on what you said here, it’s clear to me the GT4 is probably the better fit. But I still think you should consider whether or not the purchase price of the GT4 will impact your ownership experience.

If every time you turn the key to the GT4 you think “Ooof I spent too much money”, it may not be worth it.
Old 02-07-2022 | 10:51 PM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

My dad always said, pick the one that has door handles
Old 02-07-2022 | 11:17 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by phow
Excellent summary of the differences!

Honestly, and this is not intended as offense in any way towards GTS owners, but I feel if the 4.0 wasn’t available in the GTS, there wouldn’t be much cross shopping with the GT4.

Recently a good friend picked up a GTS and I had a chance to have a go in it. IMHO, they are very different vehicles. Not quite the difference between 911 GTS and GT3 but still very close. If they didn’t have the same motor (GTS making less power) they would feel like distant cousins.

Based on what you said here, it’s clear to me the GT4 is probably the better fit. But I still think you should consider whether or not the purchase price of the GT4 will impact your ownership experience.

If every time you turn the key to the GT4 you think “Ooof I spent too much money”, it may not be worth it.
Some really good points. I dont think i'll have the "i spent too much money" thought as i'll probably just be so happy i even got the GT4 in the first place. We'll see. Me and the girlfriend actually ran through some of the numbers again tonight and the GT4 (even with ADM) might actually still be really possible without me freaking out over the price. it definitely does require somethings to fall into place, but she suggested that i go find an allocation now and put in my order in, and then give myself a hard goal to get my down payment and funds in order by the time the car arrives at the dealership.

Old 02-07-2022 | 11:22 PM
phow
Pro

Some really good points. I dont think i'll have the "i spent too much money" thought as i'll probably just be so happy i even got the GT4 in the first place. We'll see. Me and the girlfriend actually ran through some of the numbers again tonight and the GT4 (even with ADM) might actually still be really possible without me freaking out over the price. it definitely does require somethings to fall into place, but she suggested that i go find an allocation now and put in my order in, and then give myself a hard goal to get my down payment and funds in order by the time the car arrives at the dealership.
Honestly, I think that’s the best plan. Get an allocation and just set a goal of getting it done. Really the worst that could happen is that you walk away from the order but I don’t see that happening. I think you’ll be happy you did it.
The following users liked this post:
Xxyion (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 11:53 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

I went through the GT4 vs GTS debate and ended up with the GT4. For you at this point the debate may be academic, can you even get an allocation for a GT4 still? I doubt it. I think you missed the boat. There's always the aftermarket. They're selling used about $15-20k over sticker lately on BAT.

Last edited by remington; 02-07-2022 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2022 | 01:02 AM
Chinchilla
Advanced

I made the mistake of settling for a car years ago, when I really wanted the manual trans version. While I was happy with the car, that lingering thought of "what if" was always present. There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted a stick shift GT4 with this purchase. Unless the numbers are just absolutely impossible to reconcile, go with what you really want.
Old 02-08-2022 | 01:21 AM
Zhao
Drifting

I'm actually unsure which one to get honestly.

Both are great options and have merits on both sides. I've actually never been conflicted on transmission so much before. I normally opt for MT unless the car has over 300 hp. Then i generally want a DCT. I've always been a slow car fast guy, and the one time i got a fast car (M2 competition) in a manual, i actually hated the transmission so much it almost made me never want a manual again.

And then i drove the Boxster GTS, and had so much fun i never expected a car to feel as good as it did.
I can tell you how I would do it. I'm heavily weighted to the manual side of the argument for sports cars (but I will always have at least one automatic to use as a DD) so IMO:

PDK: If you plan to track this thing extensively and dump it after 1-2-3 years (the numbers are better. Good for real life, good for office bench racers; either way before it's replacement is released those numbers will matter to people), or you plan to daily drive this thing/only have one car (I know you don't but if I'm stuck in stop and go traffic with a manual.... especially a stupid race clutch equipped car I had once... I want to throw my left leg out the window after about 45 minutes of clutching in and out).

Manual: If you planned to keep it long term (worth more), planned to use it mostly as a canyon carver (more engaged with the car), or for a bit of everything but nothing specific (safer bet you won't get bored with it). Or if you want to save 3g. I rather have a stripper GT4 with a few must have options than a full load GTS.

IMO if you're truly 50/50 on what to get remember the gearing is long in this car so the only gear that comes at you fast is actually first. I feel the power level is perfectly fine to have in manual form. Also consider you'll likely never be able to buy a new manual again after 5-10 years so you can always go automatic in your next car but you may not be able to go manual in your next car. But realistically if you're on the fence, you probably won't miss manual? So potentially PDK. Manual was like my most important option so it was a no brainer to me what I was going with. If there were only 2 GT4's on the planet, frozen berry with a manual, or PTS PDK. I'm taking the frozen berry manual. My options I was on the fence with really I have no regrets on at all. Color I was super on the fence with and no regrets with CWM. If i went with shark blue or guards red or one of the others I liked I'm sure I'd have zero regrets too because being on the fence I thought they were all great.

Last edited by Zhao; 02-08-2022 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2022 | 02:31 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Thanks for all the insight. And yes getting an allocation at this point is going to be my real challenge. I have some deposits in with a few dealerships and i'm working with a Porsche Broker right now to try to secure an allocation. However the good news is, all my finances have worked out and my debate is no longer GTS vs GT4 as i was really only considering the GTS as it was cheaper. I can 100% absolutely make the GT4 work so at this point its about trying to get that allocation and deciding on options. That already is a huge weight off my shoulders.

In regards to the PDK vs the MT. I think i'm pretty settled on the PDK actually. As much fun as the MT was when i drove it, i know for a fact there will be times where i'll be driving it around and hitting traffic (down to Monterey for Car Week or up to Napa for a day out with the girlfriend) and i dont want the Manual to make it so i'd be limping the rest of the day.

Well! Onto my search for an allocation! Wish me luck! If not, then i'll purchase used but i want to see if i can get my dream perfect spec first. If i cant get one this year then i'll probably look for a used one near the end of the year when it gets cold and people dont buy sports cars.

Quick Reply: GTS 4.0 vs. GT4