Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS 4.0 vs. GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022 | 05:27 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Panther Driver
Long time reader, first time caller.

I’ve also been searching around for a Spyder allocation. Managed to find two open ones for 25k ADM, but was really hoping for something closer to 15k.

I know there has been much debate over whether there will be a MY23 GT4/Spyder, but has anyone managed to secure an allocation for a mid-late 2022 build? If so what ADM did you agree to?

I’m not in a rush to get the car so I’m fine waiting, but I’m worried about them being discontinued, at which point I’d seriously consider eating the 25k ADM.

FWIW too, the dealer confirmed no PCCB available, which I also wanted.
I placed an order for a GT4 in November and there were over 20 GTS/ GT4’s in queue in front of me. The dealer showed me these cars were grouped in the same pool so their system that’s why I suspect the car could be built into 2023. So I was given a likely 2nd half 2022 build and delivery but he couldn’t guarantee it. I was smart enough to put an expression of interest deposit down for a GT4 RS before the official release and I’m basically floating in the space of what becomes available to me, as the dealer can’t promise me either but has committed to me ‘we won’t not be delivering you a GT car’

I have to say my dealer has been good to me by saying I basically have an order in on their books for both cars and by the time my GT4 gets an official production slot they will know what 2023 allocations of the GT4 RS will look like, plus moto journo reviews.

No ADM just RRP as ADM is illegal in Australia. Though it doesn’t stop the dealership ordering the car to their spec, driving it 100km and selling it above RRP in their show room as a used car…
Old 02-10-2022 | 06:48 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Prime
I placed an order for a GT4 in November and there were over 20 GTS/ GT4’s in queue in front of me. The dealer showed me these cars were grouped in the same pool so their system that’s why I suspect the car could be built into 2023. So I was given a likely 2nd half 2022 build and delivery but he couldn’t guarantee it. I was smart enough to put an expression of interest deposit down for a GT4 RS before the official release and I’m basically floating in the space of what becomes available to me, as the dealer can’t promise me either but has committed to me ‘we won’t not be delivering you a GT car’

I have to say my dealer has been good to me by saying I basically have an order in on their books for both cars and by the time my GT4 gets an official production slot they will know what 2023 allocations of the GT4 RS will look like, plus moto journo reviews.

No ADM just RRP as ADM is illegal in Australia. Though it doesn’t stop the dealership ordering the car to their spec, driving it 100km and selling it above RRP in their show room as a used car…
Honestly i still much prefer that then dealing with ADM. It sounds like Australia gets less allocations though so maybe thats the trade off.
Old 02-10-2022 | 07:24 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Honestly i still much prefer that then dealing with ADM. It sounds like Australia gets less allocations though so maybe thats the trade off.
Lol, hold onto that thought until you see the AU MSRP.
The following users liked this post:
Zhao (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022 | 07:53 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

At current exchange rate of about .72c to the USD and without any options

GT4 $227,300 AUD converted = $165,000 USD
GT4 RS $325,500 AUD converted = $236,000 USD.

We basically have a tax the rich car tax in Australia where any you have to pay 30c to the dollar of the vehicles value over around $70k AUD (50k USD)
That is on top of the existing sales and import taxes...

I couldn't imagine paying ADM on top of that, though some people surely would. At the moment with the current back log of orders, used 2020 GT4's are selling for more than a brand new one with the same options...
A 981 GT4 is selling for their original price 6 years ago, with 20,000km...
Old 02-10-2022 | 08:00 PM
Zhao
Drifting

I think Australia gets a high amount of allocations per capita because MSRP down there is around double, both from import taxes and Manufacturer gouging.

Canada is a pretty good place to buy a Porsche though, or was. MSRP is 91g USD here when I bought my MY22 GT4 and I only paid 5% tax and no ADM allowed either. Not sure about other dealers but my local ones aren't playing the 'selling it to a receptionist and buying it back 2 minutes later game' to claim it's used. Things have changed a bit this year in Canada and some provinces pay stupidly high taxes on purchases so it's not all sunshine and roses though. BC for example pays that same 5% tax + a provincial sales tax + a provincial luxury tax + our new federal luxury tax on top. So another 20g minimum flushed down the toilet in taxes over what I paid there if you bought this year.

Canada also gets more allocations per capita than the US for some reason even though our Porsches are the cheapest in the world. No idea why that is.
Old 02-10-2022 | 08:08 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

At current exchange rate of about .72c to the USD and without any options

GT4 $227,300 AUD converted = $165,000 USD
GT4 RS $325,500 AUD converted = $236,000 USD.

We basically have a tax the rich car tax in Australia where any you have to pay 30c to the dollar of the vehicles value over around $70k AUD (50k USD)
That is on top of the existing sales and import taxes...

I couldn't imagine paying ADM on top of that, though some people surely would. At the moment with the current back log of orders, used 2020 GT4's are selling for more than a brand new one with the same options...
A 981 GT4 is selling for their original price 6 years ago, with 20,000km...
Yup, the used market is the same here in the US. Its cheaper for me to buy a new GT4 with a 20k ADM than it is for me to buy a used GT4 with none of the options i want with 10k miles on it.

Yeah price wise i wouldnt want to pay AUS prices, but i assume its kinda the same with any car really. And also with any location. We always like to think about cost relative to our own COL but i find it actually doesnt really work that way. A Honda Civic in the US is about 20,000$ but in the UK its 20,000pounds. For an American, that means if they bought a civic from the UK they are paying close to double. But cant really look at it like that. All the UK car reviewers talk about how the GT4 is a 90,000pound car but we in the US pay well over 100k$.

Anyways what i'm trying to say is, i'm pretty sure the cost of a GT4 in australia matches with the current car market and you shouldnt be comparing it to another country.
Old 02-10-2022 | 08:09 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zhao
I think Australia gets a high amount of allocations per capita because MSRP down there is around double, both from import taxes and Manufacturer gouging.

Canada is a pretty good place to buy a Porsche though, or was. MSRP is 91g USD here when I bought my MY22 GT4 and I only paid 5% tax and no ADM allowed either. Not sure about other dealers but my local ones aren't playing the 'selling it to a receptionist and buying it back 2 minutes later game' to claim it's used. Things have changed a bit this year in Canada and some provinces pay stupidly high taxes on purchases so it's not all sunshine and roses though. BC for example pays that same 5% tax + a provincial sales tax + a provincial luxury tax + our new federal luxury tax on top. So another 20g minimum flushed down the toilet in taxes over what I paid there if you bought this year.

Canada also gets more allocations per capita than the US for some reason even though our Porsches are the cheapest in the world. No idea why that is.
i'd be willing to bet thats the reason why. Due to the car cost being lower they probably imagine they can sell more.
Old 02-10-2022 | 08:30 PM
Panther Driver
Intermediate

I basically secured an allocation for a potential August (at the earliest) delivery. My allocation spot will be open to me in May as my local dealership gets about 2 every 2 months and i'm 2nd in line right now. I'll be paying 20k ADM. I agree with you, i'd like to get 15k ADM if i can and i'm going to attempt to talk them down a bit at every turn if i can (without getting aggressive). If you are ok with working with a broker and paying a 2500$ finders fee, i was working with one who found a few 20k ADM with delivery estimated around May-July time frame.
Makes sense, so with the broker fee it pretty much ends up bring a wash.

I guess the two options are:

1) Order now without PCCBs and eat the ADM, but get a guaranteed build.

2) Wait for late 2022 build in the hope that PCCBs become available and ADM goes down as the supply gets better. Obviously the big risk is that if they end production at the end of MY22 I could be without a chair when the music stops.

I've done a lot of reading on whether PCCBs are worth it, and I definitely want them if possible due to the lack of brake dust. My Spyder would be my "forever car" and would be purely for street use and spirited mountain driving as a weekend car. Any owners of PCCBs or Steel brakes think this is a misguided desire?
Old 02-10-2022 | 08:40 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Yup, the used market is the same here in the US. Its cheaper for me to buy a new GT4 with a 20k ADM than it is for me to buy a used GT4 with none of the options i want with 10k miles on it.

Yeah price wise i wouldnt want to pay AUS prices, but i assume its kinda the same with any car really. And also with any location. We always like to think about cost relative to our own COL but i find it actually doesnt really work that way. A Honda Civic in the US is about 20,000$ but in the UK its 20,000pounds. For an American, that means if they bought a civic from the UK they are paying close to double. But cant really look at it like that. All the UK car reviewers talk about how the GT4 is a 90,000pound car but we in the US pay well over 100k$.

Anyways what i'm trying to say is, i'm pretty sure the cost of a GT4 in australia matches with the current car market and you shouldnt be comparing it to another country.
I'm only comparing the extra the Americans pay on ADM is relative to what we pay in extra taxes, possibly less. The money Porsche factory gets from each vehicle sale is probably much the same.
We get a decent amount of allocations in Aus because the demand has historically been high, for over 50 years. I swear every 10th car on the road is a Cayenne or Macan. At least where I live.
We tend to get batches of deliveries because of the setup change for RHD and other configuration changes. 100 GT4 RS expected in 2022 with a 26M population. I think they will all probably come on 2 ships over a few week period later this year.
Old 02-10-2022 | 09:58 PM
bubbledragon
Advanced

Originally Posted by p_uk
I own and track 718 GTS 4.0. Given that I the car is used 90% of time on track or getting to/from it, I sometimes wonder if I should have bought a GT4 but (1) at the time I thought I may use the car more for “normal” driving on public roads (2) the front splitter in GT4 wouldn’t (and still won’t…) clear the steep ramp in my underground car park.

I now have a confirmed allocation for GT4 (I’m in the UK). And TBH I still wonder if I’ll be able to tell the difference. I should make it clear I care very very little about looks - it’s all about how the car drives for me. A sentence from a GTS 4.0 review stuck with me, something along the lines you’d struggle to tell the difference between it and GT4 even after many hours behind the wheel. And that’s coming from a car journalist who is obviously much more skilled than I am…
The more miles I have put on my Spyder, the more dubious I have become as to whether most car journalists truly know about cars, with the exception of the few professional (ex) race drivers.
Old 02-10-2022 | 10:22 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Panther Driver
Makes sense, so with the broker fee it pretty much ends up bring a wash.

I guess the two options are:

1) Order now without PCCBs and eat the ADM, but get a guaranteed build.

2) Wait for late 2022 build in the hope that PCCBs become available and ADM goes down as the supply gets better. Obviously the big risk is that if they end production at the end of MY22 I could be without a chair when the music stops.

I've done a lot of reading on whether PCCBs are worth it, and I definitely want them if possible due to the lack of brake dust. My Spyder would be my "forever car" and would be purely for street use and spirited mountain driving as a weekend car. Any owners of PCCBs or Steel brakes think this is a misguided desire?
Honestly i went with this decision in my mind as well before placing my order and ultimately decided that i didnt need them. From what i've read, they definitely perform significantly above the steel rotors and for a street driven car, they will most likley last the life of the car. And with the benefit of no brake dust, it allows for keeping your baby spotless a much easier task.

For heavy track use however, i've read that they can last longer than the steel variant, however what people end up talking about is the cost when it comes time to replace. I believe i read that replacing the PCCB is something like 10-15k compared to replacing steel which can be done for a few thousand. Since i'll be mainly using this car for the track/autocross/mountain runs, the cost just didnt really make sense for me. I do also plan on the GT4 being my forever race car and i really wouldnt look forward to that bill when it comes.

Talking with the Porsche broker, he was telling me that the PCCB's are only available on the Turbo S currently. Not sure how true that is but when i was placing my order the dealership didnt even bring it up so i have to assume there is some truth to that.
Old 02-10-2022 | 10:24 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by bubbledragon
The more miles I have put on my Spyder, the more dubious I have become as to whether most car journalists truly know about cars, with the exception of the few professional (ex) race drivers.
Yeah i'd have to agree. I still remember reading an article about a comparison between the Miata ND1 vs the S2000 and the journalist talked about how he would choose the Miata for the "better driving dynamics" and i just kinda stopped reading there.
Old 02-11-2022 | 01:27 PM
Zhao
Drifting

I'm only comparing the extra the Americans pay on ADM is relative to what we pay in extra taxes, possibly less. The money Porsche factory gets from each vehicle sale is probably much the same.
We get a decent amount of allocations in Aus because the demand has historically been high, for over 50 years. I swear every 10th car on the road is a Cayenne or Macan. At least where I live.
We tend to get batches of deliveries because of the setup change for RHD and other configuration changes. 100 GT4 RS expected in 2022 with a 26M population. I think they will all probably come on 2 ships over a few week period later this year.
Not a clue what Australia’s tax breakdown on imports is but I wouldn’t assume the price difference is 100% taxes. China has very similar MSRP to Australia and gouging from the manufacturer is so significant you can pay retail for a vehicle in Canada, pay for all the charges with exporting it out and importing it into china with the taxes, sell it for cheaper, and still make big money on it. Porsche has no moral barriers making more or less money on selling vehicles in certain countries.
Old 03-02-2022 | 01:10 PM
PorscheDude42
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
and my wife refuses to ride in it, ever.
LOL!!!
Old 03-23-2022 | 01:26 AM
Stefanus
Track Day

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
Popularity is certainly not an indication of quality or performance, nor is it an indication of long term value. My perspective is that in 10-15 years or so the GTS 2.5 is going to be a unicorn that a lot of people will want. So far, with all the issues I'm reading about with the 4.0s, I'm really happy I have my little 2.5L beast.
MOO & FWIW.
What issues?
The following 3 users liked this post by Stefanus:
Alpha Ice (03-23-2022), BrianShaw23 (03-23-2022), Russv (03-23-2022)

Quick Reply: GTS 4.0 vs. GT4