Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New Video! AP Racing by Essex Brakes vs. Stock Porsche GT4 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 12:56 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Nice! I thought you had a red 981 GT4...did you upgrade? I can't keep track of everyone. My wife says if it were up to me I would change cars as often as I change my socks, so I totally get it.
You are right, I did have a 981 GT4 with J hooks as well. I was stupid and sold that car to try something else, but got back to Porsche with a 718 GT4.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:04 AM
paffinity
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

We won't know definitively until we see a car, but my hunch is that our new 992 GT3 kit will have a strong possibility of fitting properly.
What's different between the 718 GT4 kit vs the 992 GT3 kit?
Seems like it's the same caliper, maybe slightly different hardware/brackets?
Would you offer an upgrade kit?
I'm asking because I have a 718 GT4 incoming early next year and then hopefully getting delivery on GT4 RS in the summer.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:57 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 625 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by paffinity
What's different between the 718 GT4 kit vs the 992 GT3 kit?
Seems like it's the same caliper, maybe slightly different hardware/brackets?
Would you offer an upgrade kit?
I'm asking because I have a 718 GT4 incoming early next year and then hopefully getting delivery on GT4 RS in the summer.
The 981 and 718 GT4 use different discs vs. the 991 and 992 GT3, but we will offer upgrade kits to swap among any of these cars.
  • For example, if you own an 991 GT3 and want to go to a 992 GT3, you would need new front disc assemblies and brake lines. The entire rear kit from the 991 GT3 would bolt right up to the 992 GT3.
  • If you owned a 718 GT4 brake kit and wanted to move it to a 992 GT3, you would need new front and rear disc assemblies and brake lines. The Caymans use a 5 bolt mounting pattern, whereas the GT3 variants use center lock.
  • We don't yet have data on the GT4 RS, but our expectation is that it will be a simple swap with a few new parts, just as it is with any of these other variants.
Thanks for your interest, and please let us know what other questions you have.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 12-25-2021, 12:33 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 605 Likes on 348 Posts

Mwuhahaha...all your money are belong to us!

Old 12-25-2021, 01:57 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro
Niiiice! I have wing and brake envy! I half assed both and you did it right!

Old 12-25-2021, 12:12 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

@electron mike Yeah, but when you get the RS, I'll have everything envy!

I consider these my fancy pants PCCB budget. I have to say that after just a few bedding and shakedown street miles, I think they're incredible, and that's saying something as the OEM iron brakes are IMO very good, and considering many of the claimed benefits of these involve track related consumables cost and heat tolerance. I'll have more to say after I get some more miles on them, but I suspect my observations will just mirror the usual positive reviews. They aren't for the foo foo starbucks polisher crowd tho... they make some racecar noises which I love, but will drive some ppl's OCD nuts. Like a big brake pad clack clack when I go from forward to reverse and vice versa.

WRT the wing, I don't think @DesignsbyJacob gets enough love. It's all function over form, yet the wing looks awesome IRL... tho among my friends, its aesthetics are quite polarizing. Lots of detail on the risers that doesn't show up in pics, and I really dig the proportions, especially when viewed from the front 3/4. I'll try out the splitter and some slightly aggressive AOA prob mid Feb.

I gotta put in the headers + OAP next. I have a feeling you have me beat in the exhaust regard; I may be taking a step back / get kicked out of my track after running that setup for a bit.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:55 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Interesting the pads clack when switching from F to R. My M3 did that with pagid yellows as they were a bit of a loose fit. The Ferodo DS3.11 that I used didn't do it. Which pads are you using?

Agree on the DBJ wing, if I don't land an RS I might have to get the bigger wing just to have a nice picnic table out back for lunch at the track.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:48 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Currently running DS2500. Rears currently have no tensioning springs (Covid supply chain issues), but fronts do, and the F to R clacks are most noticeable from the front. Now that I think about it, both the OEM and the DS2500s I have in my M have what I think is a milder version of the clack. I think the Radi-Cal calipers are designed this way; the pads have noticeable margin to move, prob on the order of one mm, both radially and tangentially. I believe this is to let the pad backings expand without binding when hot. The fronts have Essex supplied springs which press the pads toward the axle (and quash rattle when hitting bumps), but not a set of springs which press them forward or back tangentially. Either way, I'm fine with the clack, but it'll prob be offputting for the polisher types.

I gotta stop at a coffee shop during a cruise sometime soon so I can have coffee on the wing.

Last edited by enduro; 12-26-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:02 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

The 981 and 718 GT4 use different discs vs. the 991 and 992 GT3, but we will offer upgrade kits to swap among any of these cars.
  • For example, if you own an 991 GT3 and want to go to a 992 GT3, you would need new front disc assemblies and brake lines. The entire rear kit from the 991 GT3 would bolt right up to the 992 GT3.
  • If you owned a 718 GT4 brake kit and wanted to move it to a 992 GT3, you would need new front and rear disc assemblies and brake lines. The Caymans use a 5 bolt mounting pattern, whereas the GT3 variants use center lock.
  • We don't yet have data on the GT4 RS, but our expectation is that it will be a simple swap with a few new parts, just as it is with any of these other variants.
Thanks for your interest, and please let us know what other questions you have.

Hi Jeff...thanks for the info on the 992. As you know the 992 GT3 (with Iron brakes) uses the 408 mm disc with CL, same for the GT4RS.
Will your kit bring down the rotor size so we can use 19" wheels or will it fit at 19" without a change in rotor size??
Almost sure any info you have for the front of the 992 GT4 brakes will translate to the GT4RS.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:23 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,340 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Hi Jeff...thanks for the info on the 992. As you know the 992 GT3 (with Iron brakes) uses the 408 mm disc with CL, same for the GT4RS.
Will your kit bring down the rotor size so we can use 19" wheels or will it fit at 19" without a change in rotor size??
Almost sure any info you have for the front of the 992 GT4 brakes will translate to the GT4RS.
Since the calipers didn't change between series its fair that the uprights changed in length. Can't see PAG using spacers due to increased rotor size to mount the caliper.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:42 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Since the calipers didn't change between series its fair that the uprights changed in length. Can't see PAG using spacers due to increased rotor size to mount the caliper.

Probably so wonder how The AP brake kit gets down in rotor size when using their 992 GT3 kit......this is looking like an option for me before ordering new Forgelines for the 4RS.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:51 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Probably so wonder how The AP brake kit gets down in rotor size when using their 992 GT3 kit......this is looking like an option for me before ordering new Forgelines for the 4RS.
Just saw this comment. The front suspension is indeed very different on the new cars. However, there is a difference in the OEM calipers as well. To add some space for the larger 408mm stock disc, the OEM front 992 GT3 calipers have a larger boss (the part of the caliper that rests against the suspension upright). There is more material on the underside of the caliper in that area, which makes them sit further away from the wheel hub. This is similar to what Porsche does with cars equipped with PCCB. They add more meat on the bosses to push the caliper outwards to accommodate a larger disc. That gives us some vertical space to work with. In this case, our 394mm disc kit sits inside the 408mm disc envelope. Our AP Racing Radi-CAL calipers are also more compact without the tall fixed bridge, so they don't sit as far out towards the wheel barrel. Both of these items mean we have superior wheel clearance vs. stock brakes, and by a considerable margin, which will certainly help with 19" wheel fitment. The pics below should better illustrate.

Below is a pic of a black 992 GT3 OEM caliper...note the larger boss hanging down from the caliper on the right side of the picture, below the bolt head. Those bosses push the caliper further outboard to accommodate a larger disc when it is mounted.

Below is a shot of a red OEM caliper from a 991 GT3 with iron 380mm discs, which is the same caliper as the 981/718 GT4. Note that there aren't any bosses hanging down, which means the caliper doesn't sit as far from the wheel hub when bolted down.

Below are some pics that show the difference in caliper height between the AP Radi-CAL and the 991/981/718 GT3/GT4 front caliper. The height difference is even greater with the 992 GT3 front calipers, because of the taller boss as described above.

In summary, our AP Radi-CAL setup is more compact by a considerable margin, while still providing ample thermal mass to get the job done. Our system offers superior wheel fitment and will offer more space when trying to fit smaller, lightweight wheels.
The following users liked this post:
jwr9152 (01-19-2022)
Old 08-16-2023, 12:52 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bumping this tech video walk-through of our product vs. stock for those who missed it previously. Thanks for your continued support gents!

Quick Reply: New Video! AP Racing by Essex Brakes vs. Stock Porsche GT4 Brakes