Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Can't downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear? Tranny oil problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 09:16 PM
gvk42
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, with the caveat that I tried it on the street after I got back, the feeling of going into reverse was quite different. I guess one option for me is to go back to the track and try these instructions out. Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 07-04-2024, 09:33 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by gvk42
Hmm, with the caveat that I tried it on the street after I got back, the feeling of going into reverse was quite different. I guess one option for me is to go back to the track and try these instructions out. Thanks for sharing your experience
Also happened to me in my mate’s 992 GT3. Without sounding like “that guy”, on track I’m used to racing cars with dog ring boxes where you can just jam it in, (so to speak) so I need to learn to be more delicate with the road car gearboxes. As soon as I slowed my arm movement down and did less of a diagonal motion between third and second, and followed more of a down to neutral, across, and then down to second motion the issue went away. YMMV but in my case the issue was the nut behind the wheel 🤪
Old 07-05-2024, 04:50 PM
gvk42
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to go back to the track and focus on clean shifting. I am hoping thats the answer because I am still new to this car. The reason for my doubts are that I always go down->left->down to get from 3rd to 2nd (my previous car was a Lotus Elise and it had to be shifted in just the right way). I tried going less to the left, but then I felt like I was falling into 4th. I have video from the previous time at Laguna that shows my shifting in case that helps (unfortunately I didn't record when I was actually facing the issue):
Also, when I faced the issue, a few times back to back I was coasting in neutral just trying to get it to fall into 2nd. I tried a few different motions and it didn't work, but at the same time I not sure how clear minded I was when I tried it.
Once it started happening on the track, every time I came to the same 2 corners, it refused to down shift; but literally within 30 seconds when I exited to the pit lane, it started effortlessly going into second again. That's what I found to be most confusing.

Last edited by gvk42; 07-05-2024 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Can't downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear? Tranny oil problem?