Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Can't downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear? Tranny oil problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 12:54 AM
csg76
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had exactly this same issue today at Sonoma with my 2020 GT4. In the fifth session of the day, right out of pit lane, I was unable to downshift from third to second on turn two. I shifted back into third gear, made that turn and then had the exact same issue on turn four, at which point I stayed in third until I could exit the track. Testing out in the paddock area couldn't reproduce the issue, so I went back out for another lap and immediately had the same issue. It feels like there is something plastic or rubber blocking second gear from engaging. I didn't try to force it in, but I did try coming at second from multiple angles (diagonal, down/left/down, down/diagonal, etc) and couldn't get it to engage at all. Downshifts from third to second have been clean and easy for me since getting the car (unlike upshifts from two to three, which are hard for me to keep smooth!).

I'm back to driving a manual car after a long hiatus, so user error is certainly a possibility, I just can't figure out how it was working the rest of the day.

I'm very curious to hear what you learned from your dealer. I'll be calling mine on Monday.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:10 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by McMGC
Was at Sonoma track the past Sunday. About 10 minutes into my 3rd session, I suddenly wasnt able to downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear. Gear just refused to go in.
Has anyone experienced similar problem?
Had the same problem at COTA, focused on shifting precision more than speed after that and the problem never returned.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:48 AM
McMGC
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Confirmed that I was shifting passing through the reverse gate, which was preventing me shifting down to 2nd.
Same thing happened to me again on 10/30 at Sonoma, and just like DFW01TT mentioned, focusing on shifting and it never happened again.
I ended up doing straight down pulling with just a tiny bit of push to the left. If you have auto blip on, you would know that gear is in the correct 2nd gear (auto rev match) or the wrong 4th gear.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Long term, no zip tie needed solution is Porsche should put the reverse on the right side of the gate not the left. A 5th to 6th shift or 6th to 5th you’re not pulling the lever over, just down or up, so there’s no chance of going over into the reverse detent. I haven’t had the lockout issue but I have put it into the reverse channel a few times before when there are some cornering forces going on. Probably shouldn’t be changing gears and cornering at the same time but the need does arise from time to time.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:12 AM
theEnd
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 72 Posts

I’ve had the same problem perhaps a dozen times in 23,000 miles of driving my 718 Spyder. Sure, we could all shift more carefully, but when you are attacking a track or b-road, you need reliable shifts with a certain tolerance for user input variation.

It’s unfortunate that Porsche carried across a flawed manual transmission from the 981 into the 718 with no update.

Between the shifter issues, long ratios and inability to handle maximum torque of the new 4.0, I’m hoping someone develops a complete aftermarket replacement.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:58 AM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by theEnd
Between the shifter issues, 2nd gear grinding, long ratios and inability to handle maximum torque of the new 4.0, PDK looks like a logical choice in this car.
FTFY

Seriously, I was debating manual vs. PDK in this car, but came to that conclusion personally... YMMV, of course

Old 11-06-2021, 12:05 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,213 Posts

To anyone elsewhere reading this - don’t let forum stories scare you away from the best manual transmission on the market.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Jeff Jones (11-06-2021), sanderabernathy (11-13-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 12:13 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
To anyone elsewhere reading this - don’t let forum stories scare you away from the best manual transmission on the market.
That's pure fanboism. Obviously it is far from best. You haven't driven enough cars apparently. GT3's manual is superior. So would be Subaru STI's gearbox: better feel and a better performance (ratios). I liked the feel of C7 Z06's Tremec and direct shift linkage much better. Granted, C7 is no longer on "the new market".

Yes, I drove a manual 718 (S, but it's the same box).

Last edited by unclemat; 11-06-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:16 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,213 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
That's pure fanboism. Obviously it is far from best. You haven't driven enough cars apparently. GT3's manual is superior. So would be Subaru STI's gearbox: better feel and a better performance (ratios). I liked the feel of C7 Z06's Tremec and direct shift linkage much better. Yes, I drove a manual 718 (S, but it's the same box). Granted, C7 is no longer on "the new market".
My overall point stands.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,671 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
FTFY

Seriously, I was debating manual vs. PDK in this car, but came to that conclusion personally... YMMV, of course
Thanks for the PSA, so now you can go lurk in the "Why I bought a PDK" thread...
Old 11-06-2021, 12:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,671 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by theEnd
I’ve had the same problem perhaps a dozen times in 23,000 miles of driving my 718 Spyder. Sure, we could all shift more carefully, but when you are attacking a track or b-road, you need reliable shifts with a certain tolerance for user input variation.

It’s unfortunate that Porsche carried across a flawed manual transmission from the 981 into the 718 with no update.

Between the shifter issues, long ratios and inability to handle maximum torque of the new 4.0, I’m hoping someone develops a complete aftermarket replacement.
Crikey, after 23,000 miles I would have thought you have the shifts perfected by now!

As for need for a replacement, not necessary, gear sets are available should you wish to change the ratios, and they also increase the ability to handle increased power...
Old 11-06-2021, 01:21 PM
csg76
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by McMGC
Confirmed that I was shifting passing through the reverse gate, which was preventing me shifting down to 2nd.
Same thing happened to me again on 10/30 at Sonoma, and just like DFW01TT mentioned, focusing on shifting and it never happened again.
I ended up doing straight down pulling with just a tiny bit of push to the left. If you have auto blip on, you would know that gear is in the correct 2nd gear (auto rev match) or the wrong 4th gear.
That is excellent news. I mean, it's good news that there is nothing wrong with the car. I'm not a mechanic, so fixing my own issues is going to be a lot easier and cheaper.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:46 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

20,000 plus miles on my 981 GT4 and zero issues with shifting the transmission. Added Dundon headers/tune
and the long ratio issue became a non issue.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:30 PM
gvk42
5th Gear

Hi folks,

I had a similar experience with my 2022 718 GT4 on the track at Laguna recently. It started in one of the afternoon sessions - under hard braking like in the entries to turns 11 and 2, I felt physically blocked from shifting down to 2nd from 3rd. As soon as I exited the track, the downshifts started working again smoothly. I tried and just could not reproduce this behavior on the street.
To check the reverse gate theory, I deliberately tried to over extend towards the left, but there is a distinct click that you feel before it goes to reverse and I am very confident that I didn't get there on the track.
Once it stopped downshifting on the tracking, I was free rolling in neutral trying to downshift to 2nd, but it still wouldn't let me, so if it is due to the braking load, the effect lasts for a while..
Old 07-03-2024, 08:58 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3
Yes, it's happened before (at least 2 other threads on RL about this), and it's a driver issue not a car problem.

What's happening is that you're getting too enthusiastic bringing the gearshift lever over to the 1-2 channel and blowing through the reverse-block detent. At that point, you are in the reverse channel, and can't pull the lever back because there's no gear there.

If you don't believe me, try this: Sit in the car, move the shift lever to the left slowly and then into the reverse channel. That reverse-block seems very stiff, right? Now, move the shift lever all the way to the right and quickly move it left into the reverse channel -- if you do it "right", you'll blow right through the reverse-block like it isn't even there. That's what happened to you on the track.

Try shifting a little more gently and with your fingertips/wrist instead of your whole arm -- you'll be able to feel what you're doing better.
This is the correct answer and reflects my own experience.

Quick Reply: Can't downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear? Tranny oil problem?