Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

LOST 10 HP with JCR EXHAUST (Non-silences Valved Race Pipes)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 11:23 AM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Except that with exhaust mods you're not moving more air so much as reducing pumping losses. How does an ECU measure pumping loss? I'll wait.

Also, our car do not have air flow sensors. They calculate air flow from the MAP plus stuff like Pbaro, IAT, engine speed and fixed values that were based on the stock car's characteristics. It works fine with a modified exhaust because the airflow into the engine actually changes very little. But the ECU can be effectively slightly "wrong" about the amount of air it ingests if you change anything that is necessarily defined by a fixed value. The slight correction required is taken care of by the wideband o2 sensors in the exhaust, but it's a very small correction that is easily within the tolerance allowed.

With less backpressure he ECU will have an easier time running more timing (it cannot distinguish the mods from good fuel in this case) but most of the power is simply "made" by not losing it to shoving the exhaust gases out through a straw.

There are certainly ways that different cars with different configurations that would have an easier time catching on but that's not really the point in this case.
if your position is that backpressure changes and exhaust flow dynamics don't change the flow dynamics of the air pump, we are at an impasse.

Regarding fuel corrections and inaccuracies in air estimation, you seem to be suggesting that the air estimation is deviating from a stock car. That would imply airflow changes with hardware changes.

Regarding the ECU running more timing due to less backpressure, what phenomenon is allowing more timing? And if more timing can be run (let's assume it can for the sake of your argument), it means the ECU is reacting to modifications (therefore it knows) that drives it to run more timing. So effectively you agreed the ECU recognizes the modifications. That aside, if Porsche had set out to limit torque if mods were made, they wouldn't allow the control to run more advance than what is possible with stock hardware. Again, that is if Porsche has elected to deploy a torque limiting strategy, and I'm not arguing they are.

About pumping loses, you probably know this, but they have the biggest impact when the engine is throttled. That is why our cars have cylinder shutoff. To minimize pumping loses and improve efficiency.
The following users liked this post:
4lflat6 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 07:37 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

OP - you do not get meaningful gains from a cat back type exhaust "upgrade" - usually you get more noise and thats about it.

To get meaningful gains from a NA engine (ideally) you have to work the input side and output side. In effect you need to get the engine to breathe better so, for example on the input side look at the plenum and the output side headers. These have to be well designed and manufactured and ideally, you tune to optimise the mods.

Round a track you will post quicker times with stickier tires, track focussed wheel alignment and more driver training - round a track its optimising braking points and maximising corner speed that generally leads to quicker times.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-04-2021 at 08:09 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by groundhog:
4lflat6 (10-04-2021), abarthguy (10-04-2021), minn19 (10-05-2021), porscheflat6 (10-04-2021), Z06jerry (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:24 AM
4lflat6
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
1. Logging AIT’s or at least being aware of them should be very simple in that case, is that something that was considered or measured?

2. Consistency (no side air intake fans) between the before & after tests doesn’t take away the issue mentioned above. It will definitely impact results because you’re introducing a factor which you will not encounter in the real world unless you almost entirely blocked the side vents.

3. Comparing a header back exhaust to a rear silencer replacement on a different car, 9 months ago really bares no relevance at all. No bashing here, just presenting factors that can lead to skewed results, I’m trying to help.

4. 100-200kph acceleration data is the test to use to compare before after but again these really need to be completed on the same piece of road (we use track) and with conditions as close as possible too. 0-60mph is way more to do with the launch than anything else.

5. If our rear silencer ‘loses’ power then we certainly wouldn’t be posting the times that we are, we’re actually quite a long way ahead and we have data from our race manifolds / OPF delete with stock rear and race manifolds / OPF delete with JCR rear and there is a very distinct gain in performance.

5.1. In regards to stock vs rear box only 100-200kph data this is something that I will be able to gather in the next few weeks with the next willing customer car we have in, no issues, I’ll share on this thread ASAP.

6. Again, I was trying to be polite, very happy that you’re successful and earning lots of money. I think you’re getting the wrong end of the stick with a number of responses on this thread. You have to be reasonably open to criticism when presenting this kind of information in this way.

JC
AIT matched the ambient temp by a couple of decimal points. I look forward to seeing the 100-200kph data. Contrary to what you are saying, I am pretty happy about the different suggestions/explanations that I got here. There are for sure some people who comment without reading the post or just come here to troll but that is internet for you some people are passionate about JCR and I get it. Like I mentioned these are my numbers, my reality, my facts. People are free to draw their own conclusions. This is a data point that I wish I had before I purchased the exhaust, hence I am sharing it here for the next person who may want to make the same purchase.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:27 AM
4lflat6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Simple solution to this OP. Find someone local with a stock car to run them back to back on the dyno on the same day, being careful to match fuel, pressures, etc. Porsche tolerances are very tight on their motors, so the stock baselines should be similar.
I thought about that but then I realized depending on how many miles you have and how you have broken in the car, you might get different HP outputs.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:43 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 672 Posts

If you are just changing the rear and want a bit more power... just get the ECU tuned - I did and its amazing. Many very good tuners out now for GT4/Spyder....
Old 10-04-2021, 01:02 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by 4lflat6
AIT matched the ambient temp by a couple of decimal points. I look forward to seeing the 100-200kph data. Contrary to what you are saying, I am pretty happy about the different suggestions/explanations that I got here. There are for sure some people who comment without reading the post or just come here to troll but that is internet for you some people are passionate about JCR and I get it. Like I mentioned these are my numbers, my reality, my facts. People are free to draw their own conclusions. This is a data point that I wish I had before I purchased the exhaust, hence I am sharing it here for the next person who may want to make the same purchase.
I really doubt that logged / PIWIS measured AIT's matched ambient temp within a couple of decimal points, thats almost impossible, especially with no fans by the side air intakes.

Very much appreciate you're telling your story but I think you're on your own with the results that you have gathered.

We have a customer who is willing to help with the data gathering so we will be completing the back to back dyno at an independent dyno shop with proper testing techniques and logs and will follow up / back up each result with 100-200kph runs. 100% stock 718 GT4 with only our rear silencer replacement and approx 5000 miles.

As part of the dyno test we will also log AIT's and run with and without fans to demonstrate the point that im making above.

Planning to be able to get this test completed on 20th of this month, everything within one day. It's a little more difficult as im not prepared to run / publish 100-200kph testing on the road. Tests mean nothing without accompanying video of the run so we will be completing the runs on track at Donington Park.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following 13 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
2XIPA (10-04-2021), 4lflat6 (10-04-2021), Alpha Ice (10-04-2021), IL_Pete (10-04-2021), Jevi Javi (10-05-2021), mp2day (11-22-2021), mprog (10-04-2021), Nish G. (11-04-2021), porscheflat6 (10-04-2021), rahtid (10-04-2021), rp2000r (10-05-2021), sobiloff (10-05-2021), UncleDude (10-04-2021) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:49 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I really doubt that logged / PIWIS measured AIT's matched ambient temp within a couple of decimal points, thats almost impossible, especially with no fans by the side air intakes.

Very much appreciate you're telling your story but I think you're on your own with the results that you have gathered.
As part of the dyno test we will also log AIT's and run with and without fans to demonstrate the point that im making above.
It always amazes me that people think dyno results are "scientific" without actually being scientific about it. Without airflow into the side vents, the car will produce much less power than with, and be much more sensitive to conditions within the dyno cell. You end up testing a situation where the car will never be. The DME we have is very sensitive to air temperature and the only way to do testing is to make sure conditions are identical and controlled as best as possible - fans simulating the car moving are the first step.
The following 3 users liked this post by kitwetzler:
Alpha Ice (10-04-2021), JCR-Porsche (10-04-2021), porscheflat6 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 02:57 PM
rahtid
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 27 Posts

Planning to be able to get this test completed on 20th of this month, everything within one day. It's a little more difficult as im not prepared to run / publish 100-200kph testing on the road. Tests mean nothing without accompanying video of the run so we will be completing the runs on track at Donington Park.

JC
I haven't received my non-silenced race exhaust yet but this is why I chose JCR, the extensive track testing they do for their products. Dundon is also good but JCR have easy bolt ons and sounds better imo.
The following 4 users liked this post by rahtid:
Alpha Ice (10-04-2021), JCR-Porsche (10-04-2021), josephr25 (10-05-2021), rp2000r (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 03:05 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 207 Posts

The results were shocking. I gained 3HP at the very top of the rev range but LOST 10 HP throughout the rev range (where it actually matters). So not only I didn't gain 13HP as JCR claimed, but I lost 10HP from the factory output throughout the rev range. I discussed the results with Kenny from Jotech. Kenny is the owner and Jotech is a well respected performance shot here in Dallas. They do 1500HP stage 3 R8s, GTRs, Mclarens (very respectable performance shop) and he said the change in humidity could potentially reduce output buy 3-4HP but no 20HP (which is the delta between what JCR claims and what I got in dyno).
I don't know nothin about all of that, but love your Python Green!
The following 2 users liked this post by TikiLou:
4lflat6 (10-04-2021), JCR-Porsche (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:00 PM
4lflat6
Intermediate

We have a customer who is willing to help with the data gathering so we will be completing the back to back dyno at an independent dyno shop with proper testing techniques and logs and will follow up / back up each result with 100-200kph runs. 100% stock 718 GT4 with only our rear silencer replacement and approx 5000 miles.

JC
Looking forward to it!
Old 10-04-2021, 08:04 PM
4lflat6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
It always amazes me that people think dyno results are "scientific" without actually being scientific about it. Without airflow into the side vents, the car will produce much less power than with, and be much more sensitive to conditions within the dyno cell. You end up testing a situation where the car will never be. The DME we have is very sensitive to air temperature and the only way to do testing is to make sure conditions are identical and controlled as best as possible - fans simulating the car moving are the first step.
So you are saying putting a 50 dollar constant speed fan blowing air at the speed of 20 mph into the side air intake is scientific?
Old 10-05-2021, 09:16 AM
4lflat6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Edit: I also question the RPM scale being accurate for the second run. The baseline run ends about where you usually see on a dynojet - well short of 8K RPM - but the second run actually goes past 8000 which is impossible without an ECU tune. It appears to me like the second plot is shifted to the right by a few hundred RPM.
Seems like the rev limiter will only kick in at 8100RPM so hitting 8000RPM should not be an issue without an ECU tune. See article here.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:51 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 598 Posts

Seems like the rev limiter will only kick in at 8100RPM so hitting 8000RPM should not be an issue without an ECU tune. See article here.
The limiter is at 8000. In fact I've never actually seen 8000 as it cuts in at 79XX. That's OBD logged on the dyno.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:11 AM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks OP for your efforts and time posting up another exhaust dyno thread. I also appreciate all the vendors who offer great exhaust options.

My SOUL gains with softronic ECU were very pleasing. Completely transforms the car in all the right ways.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:34 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by rahtid
I haven't received my non-silenced race exhaust yet but this is why I chose JCR, the extensive track testing they do for their products. Dundon is also good but JCR have easy bolt ons and sounds better imo.

The JCR does sound better because it address the #1 problem with the 718 4.0l sound...the rear section....Dundon + OEM PSE is not that great in the sound department. It does deliver the goods (power) and no drone.
Dundon is still working on their muffler. The Crack Pipe is just to loud. Wonder how my Dundon setup would sound with a JCR Silenced rear section.
The following users liked this post:
leozip (08-06-2023)

Quick Reply: LOST 10 HP with JCR EXHAUST (Non-silences Valved Race Pipes)