Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

fuel injector cleaners/additives

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 08:11 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Conversely, when I took it in to TPC Racing for the issue, one of the techs said, "its a Porshce, you should never use fuel additives/cleaners". That said, there are always more "Cup", and "GT3" than street cars there, so I'm thinking not a lot of stop/go kinda driving.
I wonder what fuel the tech uses since all of them have additives and cleaners - nothing but 93 Shell V-Power for all of my vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 08:44 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I wonder what fuel the tech uses since all of them have additives and cleaners - nothing but 93 Shell V-Power for all of my vehicles.
No idea. The rest of the conversation is a blur after he told me it will cost "at least" $1,200 to change the spark plugs.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:05 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Bob,

Also a Shell 93-Octane user and have Never-Ever had any issues.

Terry
Old 09-19-2021, 08:57 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Up here since buying my first Porsche in 2006 I have always used Chevron 94 containing Techron, a fuel system cleaner, never had the need for any other additives and all of my cars are driven spiritedly, they seem to like it that way...

From the Chevron US website I see that this additive is also used by other brands: Fuels: Which Cleans and Protects your Engine — Chevron.com

In Canada, Supreme Plus (94) contains the highest concentration of Techron as compared to their lower grades of fuel, 91, 89 and 87.

I see that Techron is available for purchase separately: Amazon.com: Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner - 20 oz. : Automotive
We.., Texaco and Caltex are part of Chevron, after all,, so it makes sense.. You can buy Techron at Walmart as well.. I use it occasionally, but I try to always make a couple of redline shifts every time I drive my GTS. At the very least, try to buy top tier gas, they all have more detergents.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:01 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

I buy the cheapest regular gas for my work van, and started getting some poor fuel injector performance. Now I dump a can of Berryman's B-12 in the tank every 2,500 miles. The injectors (and the rest of the engine) cleaned up and remain quite clean, as indicated by regular used oil analysis.

Conversely, I use only Shell Premium in my GT4, and used oil analysis shows it's effectively keeping the injectors, valves, etc., clean.

It's cheaper to use a can of Berryman's every 2,500 miles than it is to buy premium gas, but I don't mind spoiling my Porsche.

Quick Reply: fuel injector cleaners/additives