Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

fuel injector cleaners/additives

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 03:06 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts
Default fuel injector cleaners/additives

Curious to know if using fuel injector cleaner/additives is a recommended thing with Porsche engines and if so how often do you use it and which one do you recommend? Are these engines susceptible to carbon build up?
Old 09-17-2021, 03:26 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

I would say it is not necessary

Just use premium fuel like you're supposed to
Old 09-17-2021, 03:31 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by smegman
I would say it is not necessary

Just use premium fuel like you're supposed to
Think you meant “Top Tier”…
Old 09-17-2021, 03:50 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Think you meant “Top Tier”…
whatever...

I'm not putting race fuel in mine though
Old 09-17-2021, 04:23 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Curious to know if using fuel injector cleaner/additives is a recommended thing with Porsche engines and if so how often do you use it and which one do you recommend? Are these engines susceptible to carbon build up?
halfmonkey,

You know that's a really good question.

I think if it was me and I wanted to know I'd reach out to a Porsche Certified Senior Technician that's been in the business for a great many years.

On any internet site I think you will simply have opinions ..............

I'm not going to use it ...........

Terry
Old 09-17-2021, 04:39 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

FWiW, when I bought my 981 GT4 as CPO, I noticed some hesitation, and a slight knock/ping at early throttle, but really hard to replicate. Took tech from the dealership where I bought it for a test drive, who was able to confirm. Left the car with them for a few days..."no problem found". However when I picked up the car, tech gave me a bottle of BG-44k (as he stated, "this is what we use"), and was instructed to do a few WOT pulls in 3rd, after adding full bottle to empty tank, and then filling up with gas. I didn't notice an immediate improvement, and ran a 2nd bottle, but also around the same time, changed the air filters, which were obviously not checked during the CPO process, nor troubleshooting, or just disregarded, as several teaspoons of loose dirt fell out of both when removed. This after 2nd trip to same dealer, and 1st trip to a 2nd dealer for the same issue.

Car has been running fine since. I bought it with 30k miles, and apparently the original owner daily commuted from rural to northern VA area (heavy traffic), so probably a fair amount of stop/go usage, and "not tracked". That said, there was a significant amount of marbles in the intakes when I checked while the car was on the showroom floor, prior to purchase.

As always, YMMV.

p.s. - I also ran a bottle of BG-44k through my Mk6 GLI, after having carbon cleaned from head via "walnut blasting", and its running like new, and better than after the cleaning.

Last edited by colnagoG60; 09-17-2021 at 04:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 04:48 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Originally Posted by colnagoG60
FWiW, when I bought my 981 GT4 as CPO, I noticed some hesitation, and a slight knock/ping at early throttle, but really hard to replicate. Took tech from the dealership where I bought it for a test drive, who was able to confirm. Left the car with them for a few days..."no problem found". However when I picked up the car, tech gave me a bottle of BG-44k (as he stated, "this is what we use"), and was instructed to do a few WOT pulls in 3rd, after adding full bottle to empty tank, and then filling up with gas. I didn't notice an immediate improvement, and ran a 2nd bottle, but also around the same time, changed the air filters, which were obviously not checked during the CPO process, nor troubleshooting, or just disregarded, as several teaspoons of loose dirt fell out of both when removed. This after 2nd trip to same dealer, and 1st trip to a 2nd dealer for the same issue.

Car has been running fine since. I bought it with 30k miles, and apparently the original owner daily commuted from rural to northern VA area (heavy traffic), so probably a fair amount of stop/go usage, and "not tracked". That said, there was a significant amount of marbles in the intakes when I checked while the car was on the showroom floor, prior to purchase.

As always, YMMV.

p.s. - I also ran a bottle of BG-44k through my Mk6 GLI, after having carbon cleaned from head via "walnut blasting", and its running like new, and better than after the cleaning.
colnagoG60,

What you have said makes perfect sense.

Also, just for information .........
I know guys that have plus $100,000.00 dollar sports cars and they run 87 Octane Gas in them.
And they don't run them hard at all.
Meaning ^^^ no High-RPM use at all.

And as you said for those in the Super-Large-Cities with Hours & Hours of Stop & Go traffic.
Those conditions might very well call for running the Additive.

Terry
Old 09-17-2021, 05:01 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
colnagoG60,

What you have said makes perfect sense.

Also, just for information .........
I know guys that have plus $100,000.00 dollar sports cars and they run 87 Octane Gas in them.
And they don't run them hard at all.
Meaning ^^^ no High-RPM use at all.

And as you said for those in the Super-Large-Cities with Hours & Hours of Stop & Go traffic.
Those conditions might very well call for running the Additive.

Terry

"Italian tune-ups" are essential.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:13 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 379 Posts

I have no evidence, but I suspect that sometimes 93 isn’t really 93.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:30 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey

FWIW, that same tech advised I go to SUNOCO, along with one or two others, as the gas was "better".
Old 09-17-2021, 06:06 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

"Italian Tune-Up" is definitely one way to do it . Porsche engine, like many other modern engines are GDI, thus carbon deposit will be an issue; however, Porsche may circumvent that if they had a secondary port injection in conjunction with their DI injector. I recalled that the 997.2 and beyond DI engines may have this secondary injector to minimize carbon deposits. Hoping that if this is true, then the Spyder/GT4 would be the same. Anyway, if not, then BG-44K is supposedly designed for GDI engine. I use it on my Tuned BMW X1, and thus far has not had any knocks, misfires, or loss in power, in my experience. But then again, I started using the BG-44K at 10K mileage, so I would not know if it really made a difference.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:29 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808c2s
"Italian Tune-Up" is definitely one way to do it . Porsche engine, like many other modern engines are GDI, thus carbon deposit will be an issue; however, Porsche may circumvent that if they had a secondary port injection in conjunction with their DI injector. I recalled that the 997.2 and beyond DI engines may have this secondary injector to minimize carbon deposits. Hoping that if this is true, then the Spyder/GT4 would be the same. Anyway, if not, then BG-44K is supposedly designed for GDI engine. I use it on my Tuned BMW X1, and thus far has not had any knocks, misfires, or loss in power, in my experience. But then again, I started using the BG-44K at 10K mileage, so I would not know if it really made a difference.
Conversely, when I took it in to TPC Racing for the issue, one of the techs said, "its a Porshce, you should never use fuel additives/cleaners". That said, there are always more "Cup", and "GT3" than street cars there, so I'm thinking not a lot of stop/go kinda driving.
tigerhonaker (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 06:35 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

What I'd like to know is why the hell you can't find anything above 91 octane here on the left coast
Old 09-17-2021, 06:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Up here since buying my first Porsche in 2006 I have always used Chevron 94 containing Techron, a fuel system cleaner, never had the need for any other additives and all of my cars are driven spiritedly, they seem to like it that way...

From the Chevron US website I see that this additive is also used by other brands: Fuels: Which Cleans and Protects your Engine — Chevron.com

In Canada, Supreme Plus (94) contains the highest concentration of Techron as compared to their lower grades of fuel, 91, 89 and 87.

I see that Techron is available for purchase separately:
Amazon.com: Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner - 20 oz. : Automotive Amazon.com: Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner - 20 oz. : Automotive

Last edited by Westcoast; 09-17-2021 at 06:56 PM.
KBS911 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 07:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

ditto I only use Chevon also for the same reasons

Quick Reply: fuel injector cleaners/additives