Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 12:00 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

What people “pay” is pretty meaningless as each circumstance is as unique as DNA.

Most of the technical questions can be answered by examining the policy itself, it’ll spell out in detail the process. Ask for a copy and read the fine print yourself.

You’ll find most calls just go to a call center so don’t expect any help beyond a simple quote.

A worthy discussion is how companies service customers and handle claims.

I’ve only ever totaled one car. My insurance company paid “market” value and sent me a large package on the analysis. We dickered on “condition”—I had pictures—and unique options and found an agreeable settlement.

I’ve looked at “collector” or agreed value insurance and never found the small discount worth worrying about “how” I’m driving my car.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
AlexCeres (09-10-2021), flynlo (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:28 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
What people “pay” is pretty meaningless as each circumstance is as unique as DNA.

Most of the technical questions can be answered by examining the policy itself, it’ll spell out in detail the process. Ask for a copy and read the fine print yourself.

You’ll find most calls just go to a call center so don’t expect any help beyond a simple quote.

I’ve only ever totaled one car. My insurance company paid “market” value and sent me a large package on the analysis. We dickered on “condition”—I had pictures—and unique options and found an agreeable settlement.

I’ve looked at “collector” or agreed value insurance and never found the small discount worth worrying about “how” I’m driving my car.
I am not really asking how much people are paying. But it is nice to know if it "exhorbitant". I am simply asking HOW they insure it. I have bewtween this post and my last talked to my Agent. She will be calling me back shortly. With a quote. But she did say they look at "current market value" and what it would cost to replace the car. I asked about a car that might be potentially worth more than MSRP. She seemed to think they would pay market value above MSRP and even had an example. They bought her son a Mustang GT about 10 months ago before the inventory crunch and when the economy was still uncertain. So they got a really good deal on the car. Son recently totalled the car. And due to the good deal they got on the car and the current market conditions, they got more than they paid for the car. The only question left really is whether they would treat a car that costs almost three times that car the same way. It sounds like they would unless there is a some sort of arbitrary cap.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:11 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
.... It sounds like they would unless there is a some sort of arbitrary cap.
And that's the big warning I've been posting about. Many of the common policies I've looked at over the last few days have a hard $100k cap. Make sure to ask what the coverage limits are.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:59 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StormRune
And that's the big warning I've been posting about. Many of the common policies I've looked at over the last few days have a hard $100k cap. Make sure to ask what the coverage limits are.
I did and she said NO. BUT...it was his secretary....but she is one of those secretaries that run the place...the HMFIC! So she likely knows what she is talking about. But I will confirm again with him.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:24 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Agreed

Your first and last sentences somewhat contradict. And your last sentence contradicts in itself. And agreed value policy is usually a collector car policy and they will not insure your DD with it. It is either a collector...or a DD. By their definition, it cannot be both.

So your choices are either a "regular policy" with the "legacy" incurance companies. Or an agreed value(collector) policy by someone like Grundy. So far on this thread, the only agreed value mentioned by one of the legacy companies was the one Stormrune mentioned....and it was $400 a month.
My daily driver policy with a legacy insurance company provides agreed value for my new and vintage sports cars.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:27 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SKM
My daily driver policy with a legacy insurance company provides agreed value for my new and vintage sports cars.
What legacy company do you use? That would surely be helpful.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:42 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

Just got off the phone with my state farm agent and it will be about $1400 a year to insure a 2022 GT4 with pretty good coverage in Nevada which has high rates
Old 09-10-2021, 04:00 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

Has anyone come across any kind of annual mileage limit on these cars through insurance, as they typically don't get driven much in comparison to most cars? I ask, as I do at least 10,000 miles per year.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:03 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

I was just quoted from Progressive $1862 for 12 months $100k/$300k, $495 deductible on a GT4, central Texas.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by incursion
I was just quoted from Progressive $1862 for 12 months $100k/$300k, $495 deductible on a GT4, central Texas.
So 100/300 would be the bodily injury number. What were the property damage and uninsured/underinsured limit numbers? Normally they quote only $100k.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:42 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
So 100/300 would be the bodily injury number. What were the property damage and uninsured/underinsured limit numbers? Normally they quote only $100k.
Correct, it's just over $100k for property and 6000-7999 miles.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:50 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by incursion
Correct, it's just over $100k for property and 6000-7999 miles.
So I'm just pointing out that with that coverage the car is only insured up to $100k and any loss in excess of that will not be covered. So if you have a low-optioned GT4 at $103k that isn't bad, but if it is highly optioned at $130k+ then that extra $30k+ is an uncovered loss to you IF you are unfortunate enough to have the car get totaled. It's up to each our financial situations and risk tolerance if you are willing to absorb that additional loss out of our own pockets or not.

I just got back from visiting a State Farm agent at people's recommendations here and he pointed out that around 80% of the driver's on the road only carry liability coverage limits at the legally required limit of $25k! That's all their insurance is going to pay on your car. That's were you need to at least make sure you have good uninsured/underinsured coverages in place.

The next tier of coverage State Farm had to offer above $100k jumped to $300k coverage limits by the way. Of course getting that raises the 6 month rates a fair amount.

Last edited by StormRune; 09-10-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:42 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
totally agree, shaggy. that’s why i’ve been with usaa for years. i’ve always been treated right when the **** went down and have never felt screwed.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:08 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

What legacy company do you use? That would surely be helpful.
Erie Insurance.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:28 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
I've used State Farm for at least 30 years. In the past two years, they have become insufferable when a claim is filed. They basically want every repair done by one of their shops and won't even visit two of the three Porsche certified repair shops in town to do an estimate or an adjustment. Then they say upfront that they won't pay the full cost of the repair and the customer will be stuck with the difference between their estimate and the final bill. I'll be shopping around if my new car ever gets here.
Had the same story from SF for my claim. You can use any shop but if it’s not one of their approved shops you may have to pay more than your deductible for the repair. (Sounds like the medical industry treatment for out of network claims). Used a certified shop and after the shop and SF could not agree after weeks of back and forth, I filed a complaint with the state insurance commissioner. Car was fixed a few weeks later with no additional expense to me except the deductible.

Quick Reply: Insurance