Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Speed limit display and electric steering column adjustment - victims of chip shortag

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 03:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts
Default Speed limit display and electric steering column adjustment - victims of chip shortag

Hi,

I just picked up a new 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0, probably one of the last 2021 models.

I noticed it does not display the speed limit in the multifuction display.

I do have the entry & drive option and I also noticed the steering column adjustment is manual. On our 981 Boxster GTS (also with entry & drive) it has the electric steering column adjustment. With the 981, the seat and steering column both move back upon vehicle exit.

Are these missing features due to the chip shortage? Or a change in options?

Thanks for any insight!

The manual is rather generic and is of no help. 2021 configurator is no longer active, so I can't see what options it should have had.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:24 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Hi,

I just picked up a new 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0, probably one of the last 2021 models.

I do have the entry & drive option and I also noticed the steering column adjustment is manual. On our 981 Boxster GTS (also with entry & drive) it has the electric steering column adjustment. With the 981, the seat and steering column both move back upon vehicle exit.

Thanks for any insight!

The manual is rather generic and is of no help. 2021 configurator is no longer active, so I can't see what options it should have had.
I wouldn't think that the same board to adjust the steering column would also power the digital speedo. The instrument panel is one piece when installed on the factory assembly line and the steering column isn't part of that assembly piece.

I have no real clue though, I am just thinking out loud.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:31 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for any insight!

If you look at the waiting thread, you’ll see one forum member had a no chip delivery of his electric adjustable steering - only the dealer can move it. So if you can move yours with the regular lever, I would think that’s the way it came. Isn’t the power adjustable wheel only in conjunction with the memory seats??

Not sure on the speedo.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:47 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 308 Posts

In the display section of the MFD if you go under scope it should have the speed limit as one of the selections.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:19 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by sgreer78
In the display section of the MFD if you go under scope it should have the speed limit as one of the selections.
It doesn't, that's why I asked.

And I have the 18-way seats, so it should have the electric steering column adjustment.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:30 PM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 128 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for any insight!

Odd. I have a late build ‘21 CGTS with the 18 ways and power steering column adjustment. I’d have to look for the speed limit feature as I haven’t really explored the vehicle MFD screens in detail. When was the car built?
Old 08-16-2021, 01:08 AM
Arty09
Track Day

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for any insight!

I took delivery of a BGTS4 just over a week ago and I too have a manual steering column where the power one should/will be. Several people have reported communication from Porsche regarding this issue but I haven't received anything yet. I have 14-way seats and I'm torn on having it replaced when the chip issue is solved - seems like an invitation for dash squeaks and creaks. I'm having issues with the car remembering my mirror settings, but it could be me - too early to blame chips at this point.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:37 AM
pcarGTS4.0
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

It doesn't, that's why I asked.

And I have the 18-way seats, so it should have the electric steering column adjustment.
I have 18 ways and premium package - 2021 CGTS 4.0 with a manual adjustment for steering column. My SA said its like that when I asked if it should be power - just picked it up 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:51 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

I think if you have memory seats(ie 1, 2, key button on door), steering column should be power since the seat settings should go with steering column adjustments.

It shouldn’t matter 14 vs 18 way seats.

FWIW, my 991 with 14 way memory seats has power column adjustment. I would assume that should translate to 718.

I did read on the cayenne forum power column came non adjustable. Dealer can use special tool to adjust until chip comes in.

Now if you have memory seats but manual column, that will be a new one IMO.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:45 AM
pcarGTS4.0
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dyim
I think if you have memory seats(ie 1, 2, key button on door), steering column should be power since the seat settings should go with steering column adjustments.

It shouldn’t matter 14 vs 18 way seats.

FWIW, my 991 with 14 way memory seats has power column adjustment. I would assume that should translate to 718.

I did read on the cayenne forum power column came non adjustable. Dealer can use special tool to adjust until chip comes in.

Now if you have memory seats but manual column, that will be a new one IMO.

Yes, I have memory seats and a manual steering column.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:16 AM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 128 Posts

As a data point I’ll add that my CGTS was built June 7.

18 ways with memory
premium package
E&D
power steering column

I suspect they started allocating chips/features based on when the allocation was secured. Mine was Dec ‘20. My car was built exactly as specified.
The following users liked this post:
pcarGTS4.0 (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 09:24 AM
pcarGTS4.0
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLCAYMAN

18 ways with memory
premium package
E&D
power steering column

I suspect they started allocating chips/features based on when the allocation was secured. Mine was Dec ‘20. My car was built exactly as specified.
My car was built June 26th but I did not secure an allocation until Mid April. Allocation date is probably the issue here. I almost didn't get my 18 ways due to chip shortages per my SA - but ended up getting them.

I do have 18 ways, Prem package, e and d, with no power steering
FLCAYMAN (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 07:47 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by FLCAYMAN

18 ways with memory
premium package
E&D
power steering column

Originally Posted by pcarGTS4.0
My car was built June 26th but I did not secure an allocation until Mid April. Allocation date is probably the issue here. I almost didn't get my 18 ways due to chip shortages per my SA - but ended up getting them.

I do have 18 ways, Prem package, e and d, with no power steering
I guess later builds don’t get the power column.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:11 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
I guess later builds don’t get the power column.
I hope that change for MY2022
TikiLou (08-17-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The dealer didn't tell you about these issues upon delivery? This is almost certainly a chip issue and they should have told you that they will make the swap later once the parts are available. That's what people have been experiencing across the model lines.

Quick Reply: Speed limit display and electric steering column adjustment - victims of chip shortag