Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

How raw does the GT4 feel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 11:17 AM
DP8
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven't driven a 991.2 but coming from a C63 AMG and a E90 M3 (manual) I find the GT4 (manual) to definitely have higher driver engagement and it feels more "raw". With the GT4 you definitely feel like you are actively engaged in the act of driving. The overall sound, driving position, steering feel, 6-speed all add up to a great driver experience.

I still have the E90 M3 and honestly I find myself wanting the feel and engagement of the GT4 when I am in the M3. I am thinking about getting MCS 2-ways and changing out some of the bushings to solid bushings on the M3 to see if that will get it a little closer to the GT4. The M3 feels like I am driving a Mercedes E-class after driving the GT4 lol.

I think the GT4 is a great daily. The hp/torque of the engine is just enough that when the road opens up you can just hit the higher RPM bands without feeling like you are being reckless. The manual is great and has a very satisfying mechanical feel. The gearing is much talked about but I find second gear to be perfect for blasting through some curvy and open backroads. It makes my daily 25 minute commute significantly more fun and I look forward to the drive home! I don't find the suspension too harsh for daily use and the roads I usually drive are average to ok at best. If you are ok with the overall space of a 911 as a daily then I think you'll be fine with the the GT4 as well. In my other cars I was used to using the backseat to put my backpack etc. In the GT4, I put my work backpack in the front passenger seat usually and use the rear trunk a decent amount to hold my gym or tennis bag.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:56 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

The gts4.0 is a better daily for most people. You CAN daily a gt4, but it's going to be more a labor of love than a reasoned choice. The gt4 is very fast on the highways, but it's real strengths don't shine there, so all you're doing is giving up the comfort and conveniences in the 911. If you're comparing the gt4 to a 911 for a daily, you should throw the gts4.0 into the consideration mix. More sports car feel than the 911, same engine as the gt4, smaller and nimble but not as stiff, more options available, and not as prone to scraping the front splitter everywhere like the gt4.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:29 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

Almost 12,000 miles on ****ty midwest roads, original splitter, can count on 1 hand the number of scrapes. Its a non-issue; if concerned get a backup from Suncoast for a few Benjamin's and store it until needed. To scrape the nose, you really have to try to scrape the nose. A little awareness and altering your approach angle slightly goes a long way when required.

Get a GT4. You won't regret it. Anything else and you'll go on wondering.
The following users liked this post:
DP8 (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 05:21 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Almost 12,000 miles on ****ty midwest roads, original splitter, can count on 1 hand the number of scrapes. Its a non-issue; if concerned get a backup from Suncoast for a few Benjamin's and store it until needed. To scrape the nose, you really have to try to scrape the nose. A little awareness and altering your approach angle slightly goes a long way when required.

Get a GT4. You won't regret it. Anything else and you'll go on wondering.
LOL pretty much sums up my current thoughts. Keep getting SAs telling me consider the GTS 4.0, but I am certain that is only because they know they have a better chance of delivering an allocation/sale.

I have read much on the splitter and I agree. A few hundred from time to time to turn back to brand new on a +$100k car seems like a non-issue IMHO.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:55 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
LOL pretty much sums up my current thoughts. Keep getting SAs telling me consider the GTS 4.0, but I am certain that is only because they know they have a better chance of delivering an allocation/sale.

I have read much on the splitter and I agree. A few hundred from time to time to turn back to brand new on a +$100k car seems like a non-issue IMHO.
I also recently had a choice of near new GT4 or new GTS 4.0. Its a personal use of what you want in a car. The GT4 has considerable NVH levels vs the GTS. For me I am swinging toward the GTS. I track 2-3 times/year, canyon runs and city drives most days. I know myself well enough from owning other track focused cars that I would likely not choose picking up the GT4 keys if going to the office etc, whilst the GTS I would. I have test driven both a few times, and the GTS is a brilliant allrounder, whilst the GT4 is a brilliant track car which can be used on the road.

Its a difficult choice, as the GT4 looks so good and aggressive. I wish Porsche had made the GTS look a bit more aggressive to match its performance.

As for lip scraping, depends where you live. My outgoing F80 M3 has a 20mm drop with a splitter and doesn't scrape my driveway. The dealer let me try getting the GT4 down my driveway and we could see no way it wouldn't rub. I can deal with the occasional scrape, but not everytime I take the car out. The GT4 isnt actually that low, but it is the huge distance between the front wheels and the splitter that kills your approach angles.

So, in summary, its where you live and what your intended use case for the car is. Don't think of the GTS as the lesser car, think of it as a GT4 "Touring". It is a very capable track car too (1.2 secs slower around Hockenheim GP than a GT4)
The following 3 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
Alpha Ice (08-13-2021), Dan Nagy (08-13-2021), slilley (08-13-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 06:15 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
I also recently had a choice of near new GT4 or new GTS 4.0. Its a personal use of what you want in a car. The GT4 has considerable NVH levels vs the GTS. For me I am swinging toward the GTS. I track 2-3 times/year, canyon runs and city drives most days. I know myself well enough from owning other track focused cars that I would likely not choose picking up the GT4 keys if going to the office etc, whilst the GTS I would. I have test driven both a few times, and the GTS is a brilliant allrounder, whilst the GT4 is a brilliant track car which can be used on the road.

Its a difficult choice, as the GT4 looks so good and aggressive. I wish Porsche had made the GTS look a bit more aggressive to match its performance.

As for lip scraping, depends where you live. My outgoing F80 M3 has a 20mm drop with a splitter and doesn't scrape my driveway. The dealer let me try getting the GT4 down my driveway and we could see no way it wouldn't rub. I can deal with the occasional scrape, but not everytime I take the car out. The GT4 isnt actually that low, but it is the huge distance between the front wheels and the splitter that kills your approach angles.

So, in summary, its where you live and what your intended use case for the car is. Don't think of the GTS as the lesser car, think of it as a GT4 "Touring". It is a very capable track car too (1.2 secs slower around Hockenheim GP than a GT4)

A wheel/tire package with wider wheels and more aggressive off-sets would resolve most of the aesthetic issues on the GTS.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:39 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
A wheel/tire package with wider wheels and more aggressive off-sets would resolve most of the aesthetic issues on the GTS.
Yes, already spec'ing those
Old 08-13-2021, 06:45 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
OPs question is on the GT4..not sure why all these Spyder guys are jumping in.........
Because they are mechanically identical. They only difference in the driving experience are the aspects concerning top vs no top. One could argue, I suppose, that this may contribute to "rawness", but there is a fine line here in that rawness can easily cross over into unpleasant loudness, and unnecessary harshness (with no performance benefit). Personally, I find this platform to be absolute driving perfection.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:48 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Yes, already spec'ing those
Does anyone know if the GT4/Spyder wheels and tires will fit on Boxsters and Caymans? I am considering selling my Platinum wheels with Michelin PSC2 and going aftermarket.

Last edited by VVG; 08-13-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:23 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
Does anyone know if the GT4/Spyder wheels and tires will fit on Boxsters and Caymans? I am considering selling my Platinum wheels with Michelin PSC2 and going aftermarket.
GT4 wheels dont have inner clearance. Options are quality wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels. Keep in mind going from a 265 > 295 adds around 4-5lbs in unsprung weight.

The odd thing is how stretched the 265 in on the 10.5" is. Its actually outside the recommended Michelin spec, which states 265/30 is max 10" wheel.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:47 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 57 Posts

As previously stated, "raw" is a highly subjective term. I was looking for was a fun, manual car. I didn't want to pay the current premium for a manual GT3 or GT3 Touring. And the new 911s have just gotten so bloated. More touring car than sports car. I have been more than pleased with the GT4. It can be refined on a daily basis, but a kick in the pants when pressed. The handling is quite impressive. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:48 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

GT4 wheels dont have inner clearance. Options are quality wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels. Keep in mind going from a 265 > 295 adds around 4-5lbs in unsprung weight.

The odd thing is how stretched the 265 in on the 10.5" is. Its actually outside the recommended Michelin spec, which states 265/30 is max 10" wheel.
What you gain in weight though is easily made up for with the higher lateral G limits of having wider tires. I'll take that trade-off any day.

Pulling G's around on/off ramps and clover leafs is so much fun.

Also, if you go with something like HRE, you can custom the off-sets and widths. Find the tire you want to run and the sizes, then build the wheel custom from there.

Last edited by TRZ06; 08-13-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:24 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
What you gain in weight though is easily made up for with the higher lateral G limits of having wider tires. I'll take that trade-off any day.

Pulling G's around on/off ramps and clover leafs is so much fun.

Also, if you go with something like HRE, you can custom the off-sets and widths. Find the tire you want to run and the sizes, then build the wheel custom from there.
Yep, 265's are too small for GTS. It is the incorrect spec for that rim width. Likely just swap out immediately with 245/285
Old 08-13-2021, 06:00 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Same here. Except I owned a 992 for almost a year before I bought my GT4 haha!
Old 08-16-2021, 10:09 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

GT4 is lively but no raw.
2018-2019 GT3 Touring is raw even when compared to 996/997 GT3s.

It’s got the 4 liter race engine, mechanical diff and sound deadening materials between the engine bay and cabin removed: gear box rumble and fly wheel whine are all felt and heard in the cabin.

Quick Reply: How raw does the GT4 feel?