Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 Tow Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 02:21 PM
stove
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 982 Tow Hitch?

Hey everyone! I got incredibly lucky and managed to secure an allocation for a 718 Cayman GTS (within 6 hours of starting my search, no less!). I should be taking delivery in ~3 months and I'm planning on DDing the car as my only vehicle.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to attach a tow hitch to their 982. Not sure if the different suspensions matters, so please let me know if this would be better in the regular 718 forum (couldn't find anything using the forum search). I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get a small trailer attached to the back of this thing to handle loads <150 lbs.

Thanks!

Popular Reply

08-10-2021, 03:18 AM
faizaan2000
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by stove
Hey everyone! I got incredibly lucky and managed to secure an allocation for a 718 Cayman GTS (within 6 hours of starting my search, no less!). I should be taking delivery in ~3 months and I'm planning on DDing the car as my only vehicle.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to attach a tow hitch to their 982. Not sure if the different suspensions matters, so please let me know if this would be better in the regular 718 forum (couldn't find anything using the forum search). I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get a small trailer attached to the back of this thing to handle loads <150 lbs.

Thanks!
I have one for my 718 S that I use with a Leroy Engineering trailer. This car was DD for 3 years and I don't want to buy a truck/trailer so I still use this setup for track days.

1. Oliver at Gururack designed the hitch. Basically he ordered a bumper beam, installed the hitch, shipped me the assembly along with a license plate frame that slides down to reveal the hitch (see picture). Once installed, I shipped him back my original bumper beam for some $$. You could keep it if you wanted to easily be able to go back to stock.
2. I got the trailer from Leroy Engineering. A bit pricey but independent suspension, really nice design, and automotive wheel bearings/wheels/tires mean it handles really well.
3. I was originally just using the hitch for a bike rack, then decided to tow. Added https://www.tekonsha.com/product/119...ersal-modulite (I think that's the exact model?) for trailer wiring. Also D rings so I can run safety chains

You'll have to cut a square area of the bumper around where the hole for the tow hook is, and of course wiring for the lights. Other than that no modifications required to the car. The hitch sits right above where the tow hook would mount, so hidden when not in use.

Have done thousands of miles with no issue now. 60ish lbs on the tongue, fully loaded trailer at about 600 lbs. FWIW have run this setup with both SPASM and Ohlins R/T with no real difference. You only feel the trailer very slightly under acceleration or braking, otherwise nothing.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:04 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Based on the rear end of the 718... you're going to have a tough time mounting a hitch to anything without cutting in to the bumper.
there is a tow hitch mount behind the license plate so if you could find something to mount there, I think that's the cleanest solution (and moving the license plate somewhere else while towing).
Old 08-09-2021, 03:07 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 271 Posts

Like this? Saw this on post in GT3 forum. If I recall, there’s a company that makes these, but I called them, no answer, no reply

Last edited by Porsche444; 08-09-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:18 AM
faizaan2000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stove

Thanks!
I have one for my 718 S that I use with a Leroy Engineering trailer. This car was DD for 3 years and I don't want to buy a truck/trailer so I still use this setup for track days.

1. Oliver at Gururack designed the hitch. Basically he ordered a bumper beam, installed the hitch, shipped me the assembly along with a license plate frame that slides down to reveal the hitch (see picture). Once installed, I shipped him back my original bumper beam for some $$. You could keep it if you wanted to easily be able to go back to stock.
2. I got the trailer from Leroy Engineering. A bit pricey but independent suspension, really nice design, and automotive wheel bearings/wheels/tires mean it handles really well.
3. I was originally just using the hitch for a bike rack, then decided to tow. Added https://www.tekonsha.com/product/119...ersal-modulite (I think that's the exact model?) for trailer wiring. Also D rings so I can run safety chains

You'll have to cut a square area of the bumper around where the hole for the tow hook is, and of course wiring for the lights. Other than that no modifications required to the car. The hitch sits right above where the tow hook would mount, so hidden when not in use.

Have done thousands of miles with no issue now. 60ish lbs on the tongue, fully loaded trailer at about 600 lbs. FWIW have run this setup with both SPASM and Ohlins R/T with no real difference. You only feel the trailer very slightly under acceleration or braking, otherwise nothing.

The following 12 users liked this post by faizaan2000:
Chrismalberts (03-17-2023), ducsfly (03-14-2023), edub (08-10-2021), jwr9152 (08-10-2021), maschinetheist (05-14-2024), Nickshu (01-17-2022), paffinity (10-12-2021), PGTGULF (08-10-2021), r2thek (03-03-2022), slilley (08-10-2021), sonorous (08-10-2021), TripleL (01-19-2022) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2022, 05:59 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

Is that a 2" hitch?
​​​
@faizaan2000
Old 01-16-2022, 08:35 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Is that a 2" hitch?
​​​
@faizaan2000
No, it's 1"-1/4. I have the same setup
The following users liked this post:
faizaan2000 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:14 AM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

That's pretty slick!!! That trailer hitch would be very interesting for a spot to put a spare tire too? For a longer road trip with a spare and spot to put the rim/tire that will not fit in trunk. Interesting....

Originally Posted by faizaan2000

ilucky1 (03-15-2023)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:24 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by jwr9152
No, it's 1"-1/4. I have the same setup
Looks great. What did you do for the chains? Kinda hard to tell and the mfg doesn't show that on his site.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:54 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Looks great. What did you do for the chains? Kinda hard to tell and the mfg doesn't show that on his site.
Hildirix 3-Way Trailer Hitch Adapter
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-17-2022, 03:22 PM
faizaan2000
Rennlist Member

I added 2 D rings to the bumper beam itself. Not part of Gururack solution.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:46 PM
r2thek
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know of a place in COLORADO that has some experience with this conversion? If so, please advise.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:32 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Forget the hitch and just haul the whole car along: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2022-03-20

The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
confused66 (03-17-2023), jwr9152 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 10:40 AM
flytosail
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 03-14-2023, 02:50 AM
ilucky1
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faizaan2000

faizaan2000,
Did you have any trouble installing your trailer wiring harness? I'm trying to install the same Tekonsha wiring harness on my 2012 987S and the brake light sensor won't work correctly, and causes all lights to come on. The turn signals and taillights work correctly until I add in the brake light sensor. Trailer/tester lights come on, but won't go off. If you have any insights, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2023, 09:41 AM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ilucky1
faizaan2000,
Did you have any trouble installing your trailer wiring harness? I'm trying to install the same Tekonsha wiring harness on my 2012 987S and the brake light sensor won't work correctly, and causes all lights to come on. The turn signals and taillights work correctly until I add in the brake light sensor. Trailer/tester lights come on, but won't go off. If you have any insights, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
I set mine up with the brake light going to the third brake light and the running lights going to the light for the license plate. I was having the same problem that you're describing
ilucky1 (03-15-2023)

Quick Reply: 982 Tow Hitch?