Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Do interesting colors make your car a "cop magnet"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 09:22 AM
confused66
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Do interesting colors make your car a "cop magnet"?

First, apologies, I accidentally posted this on the 718 thread instead of this one and don't know how to delete it, but....

I don't really care for Porsche's options of colors for BGTS so I was thinking of wrapping the car in the following (yes, I know, it would look different on a BGTS, but I saw a Youtube review of the BGTS 4.0 in (I think) UV and fell in love.)

KPMF Matte Iced Amethyst Titanium

The color change wouldn't affect resale as I would get it stripped before I sold it and it would be back to the unblemished Silver for the prospective buyer.

For anyone who's got a wrapped or PTS car that is different from the normal palette, do you feel like you've attracted any additional attention (from law enforcement specifically) because your car stood out even more? My current build (supposedly a Fall delivery, but who knows) is Dolomite Silver with 911 Turbo Wheels and a Blue roof.

Thanks for your insights!
Old 08-08-2021, 10:08 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by confused66
First, apologies, I accidentally posted this on the 718 thread instead of this one and don't know how to delete it, but....

I don't really care for Porsche's options of colors for BGTS so I was thinking of wrapping the car in the following (yes, I know, it would look different on a BGTS, but I saw a Youtube review of the BGTS 4.0 in (I think) UV and fell in love.)

KPMF Matte Iced Amethyst Titanium

The color change wouldn't affect resale as I would get it stripped before I sold it and it would be back to the unblemished Silver for the prospective buyer.

For anyone who's got a wrapped or PTS car that is different from the normal palette, do you feel like you've attracted any additional attention (from law enforcement specifically) because your car stood out even more? My current build (supposedly a Fall delivery, but who knows) is Dolomite Silver with 911 Turbo Wheels and a Blue roof.

Thanks for your insights!
In NVA? As long as you have your front plate on the car you should be good! Keep it under 80 on the Dulles through way and there will always be somebody passing you. Lol.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:10 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 230 Posts

In Virginia the only guarantee is to take the bus.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:32 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 654 Posts

A good radar detector and good judgement. Save your major speeding for the racetrack. Then color doesn't matter.
The following users liked this post:
confused66 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 12:55 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

No.

Speed and large groups attract unwanted attention
Old 08-08-2021, 01:16 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Obviously it does. Anything that brings attention to yourself brings attention to what you're doing.
Goodwood (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 01:25 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

In a sea of white, black, silver, and grey colors, anything other than those colors will stand out especially if you're going with a bright Jelly Bean color. It will naturally draw more attention, both good and bad. What ultimately seals the deal for a ticket is how you're driving your car. If you're speeding and swerving in and out of traffic and just driving like a typical d-bag, then you will get the attention and the accompanying ticket.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
sin911 (08-09-2021), tigerhonaker (08-09-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 01:48 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

I used to think so, but in my experience, it hasn't mattered at all.

My first 3 Corvette Z06's were all Torch Red (hence my screen name) and had no issues in any of them. A couple cars later, I had a 08' M3 and I put a loud *** Gintani Exhaust on it and I got hassled all the time. I have received many speeding tickets over the years and most tickets were from doing stupid things at stupid times.

The way you drive, the loudness of your exhaust, and the darkness of your tint seem to carry most weight with law enforcement over the color of the paint.
The following 3 users liked this post by TRZ06:
confused66 (08-08-2021), fantom (08-08-2021), StilettoPat (08-08-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 04:52 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 107 Posts

Well, my Spyder isn't my first yellow sports-car, besides yellow will attract the police a bit more than regular colors, a Porsche attracts the local police (here in Belgium/Netherlands) whether retired or not a bit more because of the history of Police and their Porsches https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26108/lot/19/

But maybe my racing yellow attracts more because of the JCR race headers and Fabspeed valveless Competition exhaust, I don't know

Just don't consider the highway as your personal race-track, and it won't matter.

PS, I've discovered that a stripe on your frunk helps fellow drivers in front of you to keep you lane free 😜
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ramon Vennik; 08-09-2021 at 10:43 AM.
maplefrm (08-10-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:40 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Guys,

Speaking of doing the Performance car/truck/motorcycles thing since the mid-60's.

This is me living in Kentucky and also Tennessee in the USA.
And me starting from a young age of 21 to current 76 years old my experiences.

Super Bright "Eye-Catching-Colors" definitely will get the instant attention of all Law-Enforcement.

So will LOUD exhaust ..........

And as some pointed out if your driving like an idiot passing everything in sight and swerving in and out while doing so.
Get ready for your Butt to get pulled over and receive that ticket with multiple counts.
And if it just happens to be a Law Enforcement Officer that's not at all into Fast Vehicles you might very well end up with sitting in the Back-Seat of his or her Patrol Vehicle on your way to JAIL.
And your vehicle on the way to the Tow-in-Facility.
Keep in mind I'm speaking of Kentucky & Tennessee in the USA only where I have personal experience 1st hand.

If the above doesn't get one's attention the following will.
There are States here in the USA and also Canada where they actually have Laws where they sell your vehicle for certain Traffic-Violations.

I do the Bright Color thing as I prefer those colors on a Sports Car.
And for the most part at now 76 years old I don't drive like an idiot.

BTW, when I was younger and even middle-aged I did drive like a Moron/Idiot sometimes and yes I have certainly gotten speeding tickets galore.

Terry
Russv (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 03:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
In a sea of white, black, silver, and grey colors, anything other than those colors will stand out especially if you're going with a bright Jelly Bean color. It will naturally draw more attention, both good and bad. What ultimately seals the deal for a ticket is how you're driving your car. If you're speeding and swerving in and out of traffic and just driving like a typical d-bag, then you will get the attention and the accompanying ticket.
this is the key issue ... although I am not sure that "just" speeding immediately qualifies you as a d-bag. YMMV.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:28 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Its loud music and loud exhausts... it's anti-social

loud colours aren't simply because it doesn't intrude into other people's space. Colour is good when not accompanied by loud music or loud exhaust but add all 3 and you have the knock out punch....
Old 08-09-2021, 06:00 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
A good radar detector and good judgement. Save your major speeding for the racetrack. Then color doesn't matter.
Radar detectors are illegal in VA (and DC for that matter)..You're liable to end up in jail or with a hefty fine if you're caught. Better off turning it off when there.

To answer OPs question, I don't think the color matters to police. I've had a carmine red 911 (pictured) and never once was pulled over, and I consider that a standout color. Of course it all depends on where you live..YMMV
Old 08-09-2021, 10:07 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

this isn't true:

https://www.americanautoinsurance.co...over-the-most/

But if you do get pulled over, the cop might consider just how much of ******* the car screams. Being in a Lambo at all is probably a bigger problem than Purple...
Old 08-09-2021, 11:15 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
this isn't true:

https://www.americanautoinsurance.co...over-the-most/

But if you do get pulled over, the cop might consider just how much of ******* the car screams. Being in a Lambo at all is probably a bigger problem than Purple...
bad article. White is the most common color of vehicle, by far compared to red. Red is actually a very small minority for car color, so it being 2nd on that list actually proves that color is potentially a big factor in getting pulled over, or it's the type of person that buys a red car. Most red cars are more maroon too rather than something like guards red. Silvers, greys, blacks are also very common, so not surprising silver and greys are pulled over in great numbers too. What is surprising is black isn't the 2nd most pulled over color, as it is the 2nd most common color.

By the logic of that article white also is responsible for more accidents, gets in more accidents it isn't at fault for, is stolen in greater numbers, is vandalized more often, and breaks down the most. IMO someone had a deadline for an article and threw that mess together on the subway ride in to work.

Quick Reply: Do interesting colors make your car a "cop magnet"?