Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 06:33 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 476 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I am not so sure about this, the cross-sectional intake area right where the mesh screen sits looks to be about the same. I would also think that the engineering goal was to keep the overall flow characteristics similar as well.

I agree that they may not sound the same but that would be more about the shape and orientation of the intake as opposed to the size of the air inlets.
I don’t think it will be as loud but with the intakes right by your ear I think (and hope) some of it will be maintained. Then it would be best of all worlds.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:59 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
I’ve been playing with a shark SRS build, and I love the gold wheels on that, but that requires WP. Boo.
satin neodyme is basically a better gold color my man
The following 2 users liked this post by smegman:
flynlo (06-20-2023), Underblu (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 07:10 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I actually meant satin neodyme, because I could have sworn it forced me to mag wheels (with WP) when I selected it. Did that change recently, or did I just misconstrue what the configurator was telling me? Apparently the latter. Score! My imaginary car just got a lot less expensive!
Old 06-19-2023, 07:12 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePetrolHeart
This is one of my track runs.
You animal. Drive it like you STOLE it! Those poor tires, well atleast you were having a lot of FUN! 👍

This in the UK?
Old 06-19-2023, 07:51 PM
McClown
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

Just to remind the naysayers here what the first Porsche production racing car looked like...

Last edited by McClown; 06-19-2023 at 09:13 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by McClown:
Adrift (06-19-2023), flynlo (06-20-2023), Underblu (06-19-2023), vcp13 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 08:02 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by McClown
Just to remind the naysayers here what the first Porsche first production racing car looked like...
Now you crossed a line! Who said you were allowed to argue with facts!

The 718 was developed in 1957 as a successor to the legendary 550 Spyder. In 1978 Porsche developed 718 RSK, the first Porsche to bear the honor of the “RS” name.
The following users liked this post:
McClown (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:38 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
The hoods are the same... both CF... one just has clear and the other paint... heck WP can be specced with a painted hood now. The real weight savings is the Magnesium wheels and you can buy those after the fact without the WP if weight was really a concern. WP real difference is CF mirror caps, CF lower side scoops, the uppers are already CF just paint matte black. You get the added duck tail lip... Racetex dash and the WP logo on the seats and roof (which from a distance looks like a stain). To me... not worth the ticket of admission. I think it makes more sense on the 4RS.
WP on SRS gives you a duck tail?
Old 06-19-2023, 09:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,675 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Originally Posted by skafia
WP on SRS gives you a duck tail?
No, CF Gurney flap on the duck tail...

Last edited by Westcoast; 06-19-2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:56 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That used to be what RS meant. 996 GT3/RS were specifically made to satisfy street legal homologation requirements for the factory 996 Cup car. They were the GT3/RS models closest to the race cars which they homologated, practically Cup cars with interiors. Every subsequent GT3/RS model watered down this concept more and separated the GT3/RS further from its equivalent Cup car. RS means RennSport (Renn = Race). No one races Spyders.
Wasn’t there a 718 RS and RSK spyder some years back that were quite active on the race track. As a matter of fact, didn’t these early Porsches precede the vaunted 911. So I’m not sure what the issue is with the current Spyder RS. Historically it’s a quite fitting moniker.

And again, the RS designation is a term that Porsche can use as liberally as they see fit. Currently it appears to be a marketing term to designate more hardcore or extreme versions of the GT3, GT4 and Spyder. I’d say a fair number of these Porsches hardtop or not will never see a race track.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:36 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,672 Likes on 2,091 Posts

According to Porsche Newsroom:

RS
The RS (RennSport, or ‘racing sport’) is a road-legal model that has been derived from its motor racing equivalent. The designation is, however, also used for particularly sporty models, such as the 911 RS America.

AP has said similar…”sporty..fun…”

Don’t know why this upsets and confuses so many…just a marketing term PAG uses as it pleases.
Underblu (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 11:05 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by McClown
Just to remind the naysayers here what the first Porsche production racing car looked like...

Period.
Frank718Spyder (06-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 11:32 PM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

The softer suspension compared to the GT4RS doesnt mean the car is soft or not suitable for the track or unworthy of the RS designation. The GT4RS has much more downforce, so the suspension specs are justifiably different without signaling something negative about the spider's capability. They optimized the spyder suspension rather than leaving it with a setup better suited to a high downforce car.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:18 AM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

For all of you that say the Weissach Package is a marketing gimmick and feel that there are market forces that make them feel they need to spec it…..I will say this. That is EXACTLY the same thing with LWBS. There is nothing redeeming about LWBS. They are not better seats. They are not more comfortable seats. They weigh less…that is about it. And from what I have read, the SS+ weigh about the same. LWBS are just as much of a (perceived)marketing gimmick as Weissach Package. I think it is quite humorous in that Porsche could make a more comfortable LWBS….but instead, they choose to torture their customers that feel that it is required to spec them.

With all of that said, if I get an allocation, I would keep my current Spyder, which is an absolutely amazing car and just drop dead gorgeous, and then see which one I love more. I would then sell the “loser” on consignment to my dealer. ANd yes, I would spec LWBS and Weissach in the SRS because I honestly think it would be the “loser” of the two and would end up on the chopping block. My 6MT Spyder with Kline exhaust is just about as perfect a sports car that I could ever imagine. I honestly think Porsche sacrificed aesthetics in their quest for intake noise on an open top car. I don’t drive a convertible for intake noise. My Spyder absolutely wails top down at full song. I do not yearn for intake noise at all. I fully understand the awesomeness of the intake noise on a 4RS. But this is a convertible. I really wish they would have done away with the cowbells and concentrated on the noise coming out of the back of the car. But who knows, it might heavenly!

Last edited by flynlo; 06-20-2023 at 12:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flynlo:
AndrewLakes (06-20-2023), DFW01TT (06-22-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 12:22 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePetrolHeart
I basically lived at the track with my 718 Spyder, and with few tweaks it was as fast as 991 GT3's. Can't wait to freaking thrash that new SRS as well, open roof or closed
This is one of my track runs.
https://youtu.be/o4MH3WjQwWs
Hat tip to the guy driving his 120k$+ car like it's a shifter cart!
Old 06-20-2023, 01:14 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,326 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
For all of you that say the Weissach Package is a marketing gimmick and feel that there are market forces that make them feel they need to spec it…..I will say this. That is EXACTLY the same thing with LWBS. There is nothing redeeming about LWBS. They are not better seats. They are not more comfortable seats. They weigh less…that is about it. And from what I have read, the SS+ weigh about the same. LWBS are just as much of a (perceived)marketing gimmick as Weissach Package. I think it is quite humorous in that Porsche could make a more comfortable LWBS….but instead, they choose to torture their customers that feel that it is required to spec them.

With all of that said, if I get an allocation, I would keep my current Spyder, which is an absolutely amazing car and just drop dead gorgeous, and then see which one I love more. I would then sell the “loser” on consignment to my dealer. ANd yes, I would spec LWBS and Weissach in the SRS because I honestly think it would be the “loser” of the two and would end up on the chopping block. My 6MT Spyder with Kline exhaust is just about as perfect a sports car that I could ever imagine. I honestly think Porsche sacrificed aesthetics in their quest for intake noise on an open top car. I don’t drive a convertible for intake noise. My Spyder absolutely wails top down at full song. I do not yearn for intake noise at all. I fully understand the awesomeness of the intake noise on a 4RS. But this is a convertible. I really wish they would have done away with the cowbells and concentrated on the noise coming out of the back of the car. But who knows, it might heavenly!
You missed the most important aspect of LWBS: you can use harnesses with them.
AndrewLakes (06-20-2023)

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread