Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 10:25 AM
Don Fitzpatrick
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
The same people also said the Spyder couldn't be an RS because no roof.

AP said recently RS also means fun car.

I don't think RS definitions stopped the manual; just couldn't make a business case of it.
Additionally the 996 and 997 RS was manual. So there is nothing cut and dried in blood saying it has to be a manual. I get it, doesnt meant I have to like it.
The following users liked this post:
flynlo (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 10:34 AM
SpidyGonzo
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
PTS shows as an option in the configurator
not in the Spanish, not even in the German configurator
Old 05-10-2023, 10:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,326 Likes on 2,460 Posts

It's a somewhat odd amalgation of a car:

- It's an RS, but lacks a big wing and has less racy presence than a GT3
- It's an RS, but softer suspension than GT4 RS
- It's an RS, but not meant for the track
- It's meant to be a road car, but PDK only
- Effort has been made to save weight, but the small weight savings won't make a real difference on the road
- As a road car, the top isn't very practical. But it's not suitable as a track car without a hard top

Overall, I see this as a 718 Spyder with an upgraded engine and probably a more interesting sound show.
The following 5 users liked this post by Manifold:
flynlo (05-10-2023), Gorthaur (05-11-2023), GT4MF (05-10-2023), Pcar81 (05-10-2023), very green R (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 10:59 AM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Where can we test drive a GT4 RS? Don't think they're that abundant to take it out for a spin. It's not an Audi A4 that every dealer you visit there's 20 sitting on the lot. Also with these cars taking a 'test drive' around the block of the dealership does not allow one to really get a feel for the true potential of the car. The closest you can get to really experience any of these cars, unless you already own one and can take it to a track, are at PECs. Even PEC tracks are mostly BS (no runoff, small and narrow track). Going to UK next week, thought about visiting PEC there since it's in Silverstone (and is one of my dream is to drive on the GP track along with Spa and Ring) but they're not using the real circuit there either, Porsche built a mini-track within the unused inner parts of the track, so not really worth it. It's an online forum, how else are we supposed to have fun mate? We're dreamers! What is wrong with wanting a more pure and involving driving experience?

Porsche is pretty much the only remaining manufacturer to truly offer a sports car with a naturally aspirated engine and a manual transmission these days. Hats off in that regard. That is why they have my business. But, at the end of the day they're making cars to make money and the bean counters are trying to maximize the profits. Therefore they obviously did not want to spend the $$$ for the R&D for a manual transmission for a car that they will only make 1,000-1,500 and then switch to all EV Cayman/Boxster platform. From a business perspective it makes sense, just sucks for the small portion of us fans that want the manual experience still. They're covering it up under the excuse of 'it's an RS meant for the track' and keep changing the definition of what the 'RS' moniker represents. Always said it and will keep saying it: if the GT4 RS was offered with a manual...
BTW, Porsche has been the most profitable auto manufacturer on the planet. Maybe not volume, but pure profit. And good on them, they found a formula that works and lets face it, they do deliver a pretty awesome product. Regarding your rant over a manual, suck it up, buttercup and be happy that they offer it at all. Everyone else in the word has gone automatic and forced induction.
lilbza (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 11:00 AM
Puggz
Pro

Originally Posted by Manifold
It's a somewhat odd amalgation of a car:

- It's an RS, but lacks a big wing and has less racy presence than a GT3
- It's an RS, but softer suspension than GT4 RS
- Effort has been made to save weight, but the small weight savings won't make a real difference on the road
- As a road car, the top isn't very practical. But it's not suitable as a track car without a hard top

Overall, I see this as a 718 Spyder with an upgraded engine and probably a more interesting sound show.
Sounds good! Once less allocation to fight over :-D.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:05 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
If there's one tiny detail I don't much care for, it's those attachment points on the roll hoops. I'm assuming that's for the back section of the roof. It's a shame though that they break up the smooth lines of those covers and couldn't be more integrated.
It's to secure the pegs on Sunshade Support Bar.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:07 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 175 Posts

Far as I'm concerned this thing would be epic on the track. There are plenty of open top track cars. Of course, fitting a roll bar seems to be an issue as I'm not aware of any currently existing for the current Spyder either. But if the built-in rollover protection is enough then a harness bar can probably be fitted.

People keep talking about the weight savings from the top being negligible. I agree that it's not a big deal but I think people are missing the purpose here. I don't think for a second that they developed this top to save weight. That's just a bonus talking point. It seems to me they developed it because they needed the space for the new intakes.

Last edited by Wild Weasel; 05-10-2023 at 11:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wild Weasel:
Jay Cordeiro (05-10-2023), SpidyGonzo (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 11:08 AM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 917 Likes on 444 Posts

Huge miss on not offering the Spyder RS with a manual, it's obviously not a track focused car so why not provide both? Maybe that's what the 718 R is going to be.

I had the 987 Spyder with the manual roof. Don't let anyone fool you, doing it by yourself is a PITA with high potential for things to knock into each other, can't imagine all the scratches on the carbon fiber. But it is pretty cool they offer it to save weight, it's just weird they don't offer MT to save even more weight.

This car has mixed ethos'
The following 4 users liked this post by DodoBrd:
AndrewLakes (05-10-2023), Larson E. Rapp (05-11-2023), Pcar81 (05-10-2023), very green R (05-13-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 11:09 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
It's to secure the pegs on Sunshade Support Bar.
Yeah... I know. I just don't like it.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:10 AM
Puggz
Pro

Originally Posted by lilbza
Lol at this thread.... it's gone from the most anticipated release of the year, to a bunch of people telling us how they're not interested and will be keeping their *insert car model* because of XYZ.
I know, personally I think its a defense mechanism because we all secretly want one but know we either cant afford it or get an allocation (or both) What better way that to diss the hell out of it to make yourself feel better.. lol

The following 3 users liked this post by Puggz:
arek (05-10-2023), lilbza (05-10-2023), n4v4nod (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 11:11 AM
Puggz
Pro

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
Huge miss on not offering the Spyder RS with a manual, it's obviously not a track focused car so why not provide both? Maybe that's what the 718 R is going to be.

I had the 987 Spyder with the manual roof. Don't let anyone fool you, doing it by yourself is a PITA with high potential for things to knock into each other, can't imagine all the scratches on the carbon fiber. But it is pretty cool they offer it to save weight, it's just weird they don't offer MT to save even more weight.

This car has mixed ethos'
I can just see AP reading this over his morning coffee saying to himself "wow, we really eff'd up this one" NOT.
Odin (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 11:13 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Puggz
BTW, Porsche has been the most profitable auto manufacturer on the planet. Maybe not volume, but pure profit. And good on them, they found a formula that works and lets face it, they do deliver a pretty awesome product. Regarding your rant over a manual, suck it up, buttercup and be happy that they offer it at all. Everyone else in the word has gone automatic and forced induction.
Didn't say I won't buy one. It looks like a fun weekend good-weather car. Not a daily driver, and not a track car. But the biggest limitation as a weekend fun car is that it's not manual.

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Far as I'm concerned this thing would be epic on the track. There are plenty of open top track cars. Of course, fitting a roll bar seems to be an issue as I'm not aware of any currently existing for the current Spyder either. But if the built-in rollover protection is enough then a harness bar can probably be fitted.

People keep talking about the weight savings from the top being negligible. I agree that it's not a big deal but I think people are missing the purpose here. I don't think for a second that they developed this top to save weight. That's just a bonus talking point. It seems to me they developed it because they needed the space for the new intakes.
Personally, I'm not comfortable with tracking a convertible. The added risk doesn't seem worth it to me.
geistspyder (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 11:15 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Puggz
I can just see AP reading this over his morning coffee saying to himself "wow, we really eff'd up this one" NOT.
They'll sell as many as they make (which will be limited, even if not numbered), but that doesn't mean we can't critique the car.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:20 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,675 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
every RS variant is PDK.

A manual would make the model non RS.
It can be whatever Porsche wants it to be... IIRC there was a single year that the RS was available with a manual, that citation might even be in this thread.

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
The same people also said the Spyder couldn't be an RS because no roof.

AP said recently RS also means fun car.

I don't think RS definitions stopped the manual; just couldn't make a business case of it.
Or could it be time to now start the rumor of a 6MT only being held back until testing is complete?
Old 05-10-2023, 11:23 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Personally, I'm not comfortable with tracking a convertible. The added risk doesn't seem worth it to me.
I'm fine with it. I used to track a 981 Boxster GTS and had the time of my life with it.

Then again... self-preservation isn't my strongest quality...
The following 3 users liked this post by Wild Weasel:
Jay Cordeiro (05-10-2023), Odin (05-10-2023), SpidyGonzo (05-10-2023)

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread