Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder vs 458 Spider comparable performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 11:37 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
Based on Nordschliefe numbers amongst others, to say the 458 Spider runs rings around the 718 Spyder is completely fallacious. The 718 Spyder/GT4 as a track car appears to often get the better of the 458 based on the numbers from Fast Laps etc. Now the Aperta/Speciale is a different story but also a different price category.

Also, while certain modern Ferrari’s have indeed shown incredible appreciation metrics, the current market boom along with tight supply chain has made many cars particularly desirable high end sports cars appreciate in value. Similar appreciation can be said for those who bought recent used Porsches at the right time such as the 991.2 GT3.

while I appreciate the feedback, especially the info that the Ferrari double clutch is engaging, gross hyperbole like runs rings is pretty much worthless not to mention inaccurate unless you are comparing the Ferrari to a Fiat. And I would never confuse the precise and taught PDK with a slush box. Again that’s ridiculous. The Ferraris I drove with paddles shifters felt a bit more raw but so did BMWs first DCT and I don’t know if I’d consider either better than the surgical PDK. To be clear, I know how well my 718 Spyder performs, I’d like to know how much feel and handling dynamics will suffer in comparison if I add a 458, Cowl shake appears to be an issue, I’d like to know if there are any others before I grab a 458 as a dance partner.
I test drove a used 458 Spider right after I bought my GT3T. Might have only been that particular example, but pedal placement is cramped and narrow (made for Italian loafers) and brake feel/feedback was blunt and crude. The engine, of course, is thrilling (even coming from a 991.2 GT3) but the build quality has something to be desired: adjusting the seat back caused it to torque/twist in a way that Porsche would never have allowed out of the factory.

By way of comparison, I was loaned a 488 GTB for an afternoon and that car was heavenly to drive and felt modern in every way.
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 01:14 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,743 Likes on 956 Posts

Good to know that reliability is reasonable. Thanks to all who contributed useful information. It seems performance wise the 718 Spyder and 458 Spider are comparable with the former being stiffer and a touch more buttoned down and the later having greater acceleration.

Again I don’t understand the need for fallacious hyperbole or engaging in hot air pissing matches. I mean seriously, “Blow the doors off”, what are we on the playground.
Did a hyperbole touch you in a bad way? I saw how you went off the deep end on ilko for using a hyperbole while trying to be helpful to you so I wanted to see how you'd react again... and you need to take a chill pill.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:20 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartleby7334
I test drove a used 458 Spider right after I bought my GT3T. Might have only been that particular example, but pedal placement is cramped and narrow (made for Italian loafers) and brake feel/feedback was blunt and crude. The engine, of course, is thrilling (even coming from a 991.2 GT3) but the build quality has something to be desired: adjusting the seat back caused it to torque/twist in a way that Porsche would never have allowed out of the factory.

By way of comparison, I was loaned a 488 GTB for an afternoon and that car was heavenly to drive and felt modern in every way.

I appreciate the info, The price delta between the 488 and 458 is not great. Still, I find the 458 the prettier car with a way sweeter exhaust note.
Frank718Spyder (12-21-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 02:37 AM
Underblu
Banned

Originally Posted by Zhao
Did a hyperbole touch you in a bad way? I saw how you went off the deep end on ilko for using a hyperbole while trying to be helpful to you so I wanted to see how you'd react again... and you need to take a chill pill.
“Touch me in a bad way” “deep end” lmfao. Why you feel the need to insert yourself in someone’s thread for the sole purpose of trying to antagonize them speaks volumes about who you are. Maybe you should follow your own advice re: “chill pills”

I have nothing against ilko and have enjoyed many of his posts on this forum but I want to keep this particular thread an informative based discussion that stays on track rather than one that goes off the rails with erroneous hyperbole.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,743 Likes on 956 Posts

Hey, really nice guy who definitely has no problems, I was providing info you clearly were in the dark about; those cars are further apart than a Boxster S is from a Spyder for performance because a decade of tire development and a totally different classes of tires accounts for seconds. Try not to **** all over people who are trying to be helpful. No one normal would get antagonized by a commonly used line so it gave me the info I needed to know not all is well in the world of underblu.

Btw, no, a Spyder is not an exhaust and header away from being comparable to a Speedster. What a ridiculous statement.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:48 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 722 Likes on 395 Posts

Well, according to Fastest Laps: "The 458 Italia Spider is the fastest by a huge margin".

It's got more HP, more torque and is lighter. Half a second faster to 60, one second faster in the 1/4 mile and a higher top speed. Plus it sounds far better.

Don't confuse an emotional decision with facts. Both are fantastic cars. But not even close to equivalent.
JAhmed (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 11:58 PM
Underblu
Banned

I think you’re In the dark or you just like to be confrontational for no good reason

The speedster and Spyder are quite close. But be in denial all you like. Ridiculous is your attitude. Maybe you should spend less time acting confrontational on a car forum and more time enjoying life and these beautiful cars be it a Speedster, Spyder or a 458.

Speedster based on Car and Driver data
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.4 sec
60 mph: 3.7 sec
100 mph: 7.9 sec
130 mph: 12.9 sec
150 mph: 18.4 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.4 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 6.9 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 7.1 sec
¼-mile: 11.9 sec @ 124 mph
Top speed (mfr's claim): 192 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 148 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.07 g
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...numbers/Spyder based on car and driver data

Spyder based on Car and Driver data
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
60 mph: 3.8 sec
100 mph: 8.7 sec
130 mph: 14.7 sec
150 mph: 21.6 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 6.3 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 6.2 sec
¼-mile: 12.0 sec @ 118 mph
Top speed (mfr's claim): 187 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 150 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.06 g
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Even closer based on fast laps
https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...-speedster-991
https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsche-718-spyder

Hey, really nice guy who definitely has no problems, I was providing info you clearly were in the dark about; those cars are further apart than a Boxster S is from a Spyder for performance because a decade of tire development and a totally different classes of tires accounts for seconds. Try not to **** all over people who are trying to be helpful. No one normal would get antagonized by a commonly used line so it gave me the info I needed to know not all is well in the world of underblu.

Btw, no, a Spyder is not an exhaust and header away from being comparable to a Speedster. What a ridiculous statement.

Last edited by Underblu; 08-11-2021 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:04 AM
Underblu
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Well, according to Fastest Laps: "The 458 Italia Spider is the fastest by a huge margin".

It's got more HP, more torque and is lighter. Half a second faster to 60, one second faster in the 1/4 mile and a higher top speed. Plus it sounds far better.

Don't confuse an emotional decision with facts. Both are fantastic cars. But not even close to equivalent.
I know the 458 Spider is faster and acknowledged that fact. My question was focused on things such as steering feel, chassis stiffness, braking, and handling dynamics. A C8 and Huracan put up better acceleration numbers than a Spyder too but neither are on my short list. From the feedback it appears the 458 would be comparable in handling and feel. I haven’t driven a 458 enthusiastically enough to gain any real insight but I concur the sound and power on tap is phenomenal. I feel reasonably certain that if I find the right 458 it won’t disappoint and will be as enjoyable as my Spyder

Last edited by Underblu; 08-11-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:13 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 719 Likes on 436 Posts

It's tires. OE tires for the 458 are Bridgestone S001's. A ok but nothing special summer tire. Or the Pirelli Pzero which is also nothing special. 10 years ago tires were a lot different also without the same class of tire. That was 5? generation of tires ago for bridgestone, and each generation was faster then the last.

Compared to the dunlops or cup2s on the gt4... that's a big gap in tire grip. Put good tires on the 458 and it'll blow the doors off the 718. It's the same with the Mclaren from that era. It'll get a good time with a great driver when it was first tested, but then you see people putting great tires on it with a decent driver and dropping seconds off the original test time on OE tires.
Yeah, very unfair to compare a car that used the tires from a decade ago. Tire technology has come a long way. Comparing what 458 did 10 years ago to 718 GT4 is like comparing apples and oranges. Put them on equal tires and the difference will certainly be there.
Zhao (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 05:51 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 766 Posts

I know the 458 Spider is faster and acknowledged that fact. My question was focused on things such as steering feel, chassis stiffness, braking, and handling dynamics. A C8 and Huracan put up better acceleration numbers than a Spyder too but neither are on my short list. From the feedback it appears the 458 would be comparable in handling and feel. I haven’t driven a 458 enthusiastically enough to gain any real insight but I concur the sound and power on tap is phenomenal. I feel reasonably certain that if I find the right 458 it won’t disappoint and will be as enjoyable as my Spyder
The 458 is an incredibly enjoyable car. It is theatrical in ways a stock Spyder/GT4 cannot be. It has a sense of occasion to it that cannot be quantified. I did not have a Spider, so I won't comment on cowl shake...but the steering feel, braking (feels almost like unassisted brakes) and handling are very enjoyable. The noise is top shelf (my car had factory Ferrari sport exhaust with the valves disabled).

As mentioned above, I did 9k miles in 8 months in my 458. Loved every mile. It was very robust and enjoyable to drive. I have many miles in stock 718 GT4/Spyder variants and they are not comparable to a 458 in terms of overall experience* (depending on how much of your enjoyment comes from rowing your own gears). My re-geared/tuned/heavily modified Spyder gets much closer to the overall 458 experience, and the fact that I like rowing my own gears pushes it over the top for me.
Underblu (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 06:01 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
The 458 is an incredibly enjoyable car. It is theatrical in ways a stock Spyder/GT4 cannot be. It has a sense of occasion to it that cannot be quantified. I did not have a Spider, so I won't comment on cowl shake...but the steering feel, braking (feels almost like unassisted brakes) and handling are very enjoyable. The noise is top shelf (my car had factory Ferrari sport exhaust with the valves disabled).

As mentioned above, I did 9k miles in 8 months in my 458. Loved every mile. It was very robust and enjoyable to drive. I have many miles in stock 718 GT4/Spyder variants and they are not comparable to a 458 in terms of overall experience* (depending on how much of your enjoyment comes from rowing your own gears). My re-geared/tuned/heavily modified Spyder gets much closer to the overall 458 experience, and the fact that I like rowing my own gears pushes it over the top for me.
What gearing setup do you have and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking? I haven't seen too many on here that have actually re-done the gears but to me that seems like the best mod.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:42 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I rented a 458 Italia in Dubai for a month and now owning a nicely modded GT4, i know to some this is about comparing caprios but what my point is, the 458 is an AMAZING car in everyway except using it as a track car.
- Interior (doesn't even feel dated if you sat in one right now) especially if its red
- Comfier than my GT4 (not sure why others stated opposite) but also depends if I put Pilot Sport 4S it will make the GT4 comfier
- Sound (no comparison)
- Feel of driving in the streets a %100 458 and easy to drive but as for a track car stay away as its not that reliable as GT4
- Feel of interior and leather 458, GT4 feels more track and gives you that feel even while driving slow in the streets
- engagement GT4 /spider- Power the feel of V8 trq is wonderful and revving sometimes to 9K is truly rewarding specially when you have the option for the top down
- wife and other riders will appreciate you more while driving the 458 spider.

We are in Rennlist and some maybe biased with Porsche but with due honesty i driven for quite sometime a 458 and to this day i still remember it. if i wouldn't want a GT4 the 458 would be the only Ferrari that i would want to own
josephr25 (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 01:05 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 614 Likes on 280 Posts

I rented a 458 outside the Ferrari factory in Maranello (probably even guided by F1 team members on their day off; they were wearing the uniforms with the Marlboro barcode which aren't publicly available) before they were even available in the US. If I ever wanted a "classic" car it would definitely be a 458 or its "Speciale" variant. That engine sound can make up for a lot of things its missing today. I would agree with the others that if I wasn't worried about maintenance costs I would have gotten one as well. In fact, before gopro was invented I even have a 30 min DVD of me driving it
Old 08-12-2021, 01:54 PM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts

I’m blessed to have friends with great cars and often get to swap back and forth. 458 is one of the all time greats. So too is the 718 4.0. Add exhaust to 718 and BOOM! Porsche perfection. 458/488 are dated interiors, but only to those who know newer models.

My only hesitation to choose one over the other is maintenance costs. I’m somewhat familiar Ferrari seems to punish you in the pocket book for driving. The long term maintenance costs are ridiculous. Porsche runs circles around any manufacturer in this department……DRIVE IT & BE REWARDED IN RELIABILITY. Like anything else, if money not a problem, get them both.
Underblu (08-12-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 12:45 AM
993turboplease
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a few words of caution when looking at the Ferrari's 'numbers'. (I am a huge 458 Italia fan and plan on getting one after my current GT4). The HP figures are from an era when Ferrari was exaggerating. They knew Mclaren was coming in terms of competition, with turbo engines. So the Italia, when dyno'ed and with drivetrain losses back-calculated makes around 500 HP at the crank, not the 562 listed. These results are widely available in various Youtube videos etc. all over the web.
Also, the 458 acceleration times were misleading. Ferrari used to provide 'ringers' at this time to the testing magazines. Widespread accounts of full teams arriving with a special, likely very special car from Italy for the magazine tests and an entire Italian race team of technicians. Chris Harris called Ferrari out on its ringer 599 (hilariously the Michelins disintegrated on a dyno because they were actually soft compound race tires) and had to leave Evo magazine because of it. Oblique references by Catchpole and others about this phenomenon since. Magazines were often blocked by the factory from testing customer cars for many, many years, and none in a quantitative fashion.
The above commentators are completely correct in saying that ten years of Michelins is worth many seconds around a lap, and that the 458 would be faster today than a GT4 on the same rubber.
The following 4 users liked this post by 993turboplease:
DFW01TT (12-08-2021), enduro (12-09-2021), Underblu (08-10-2022), wizee (12-08-2021)

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder vs 458 Spider comparable performance?