Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-4-0-gt4-gt4rs-spyder-25th-anniversary-255/)
-   -   718 Spyder vs 458 Spider comparable performance? (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-4-0-gt4-gt4rs-spyder-25th-anniversary/1263308-718-spyder-vs-458-spider-comparable-performance.html)

Underblu 08-07-2021 01:03 PM

718 Spyder vs 458 Spider comparable performance?

I’ve been thinking about picking up a 458 Spider. The last great Ferrari NA V8. Beautiful lines too. While I’m aware the 458’s extra horses will provide slightly better 0-60 and 1/4 times, the other performance metrics that Porsche GT cars excel at: steering feel, handling dynamics, stiffness etc, are always on another level. How does the 458 hold up? I mean for all intents and purposes, the Spyder is within an eyeblink of the GT3 Speedster. A little exhaust and header mod for Spyder would put it right next to the Speedster so I don’t think comparing the 718 Spyder to the 458 is at all a stretch. Any thoughts?

Bob Z. 08-07-2021 02:00 PM

I have not owned one but have driven a couple. Not as comfy and my Spyder and it seemed a bit dated, especially compared to the newer models. It does not sound that great stock (like the 718) but I drove one with exhaust mods and it sounds much better. Performance is comparable to me but it is a different car so you should really drive one to experience it since I am sure others will not agree with me. Finally, no manual option so that made the decision an easy one, at least for now.

awtiger1 08-07-2021 02:31 PM

I too was thinking about a 458 Spider before ultimately ordering a 718 Spyder. I flew to Las Vegas to rent one for a day in 2019 and drove it a couple hundred miles through a state park that was a great driving road. The exterior looks were a 10/10 for me, the interior a bit dated as mentioned. Ultimately, though, the drive was a disappointment. Tons of cowl shake. Since this was a rental car and had a ton of miles, it may be unfair to conclude this is what all 458 Spiders would be like, but even if it had half the cowl shake new, it wasn't a car I could fall in love with. Having driven a few Ferrari convertibles, I have concluded that Ferrari either doesn't care about cowl shake or the fact that most of their cars are designed as coupes first means that it is hard to engineer it out with additional bracing (vs. Boxsters which have always been designed as convertibles from the beginning). I suspect even with modifications, the 458 might have the edge over a 718 Spyder with PDK but in the corners there would be no comparison - the 718 Spyder would eat the 458 for lunch. Finally, despite the engine revving to 9k, I was disappointed with it (perhaps because I also have a 991.1 GT3) - the engine lacked excitement for me, perhaps because 7.5-9k in the powerband seemed pretty much the same as 6-7.5k, unlike in the GT3 where all hell breaks loose and the sounds change.

Jamie140 08-07-2021 05:54 PM

I’ve owned two of the first and one of the latter.

458 Spider all day, every day.

Top down, full throttle like a chainsaw cutting through a chain link fence. Much more involving than the 488, although the 488 is significantly faster.

ilko 08-08-2021 02:42 AM

Last year I had the choice between a 10-year-old 458 and a brand new Spyder. I ended up buying the horse and am so glad I did. At the time a 30K-mile 458 was a little more expensive than what a new Spyder would've cost me, but now that same car is worth $50K more than what I paid. In terms of performance, it runs circles around the 718 GT platform even though it's a decade older. I'm still considering a Spyder as an addition to the fleet, but no way is the 458 leaving my garage. They are truly special cars, arguably from what will end up known as the peak era of the internal combustion engine.

My fear prior to purchasing the 458 was that the paddle shift gearbox would not be as exciting to drive. Boy was I wrong! It adds to the drama immensely. The shifts are so violent and explosive, it makes a PDK feel like a slush box. And the howl of the flat plane V8 is just out of this world. If I had one complaint about the car it would be that the steering is a bit light. And perhaps the brakes aren't as good as my 997-2 RS's PCCB, but then again it is nearly 300 lbs heavier...

Underblu 08-08-2021 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ilko (Post 17594673)
Last year I had the choice between a 10-year-old 458 and a brand new Spyder. I ended up buying the horse and am so glad I did. At the time a 30K-mile 458 was a little more expensive than what a new Spyder would've cost me, but now that same car is worth $50K more than what I paid. In terms of performance, it runs circles around the 718 GT platform even though it's a decade older. I'm still considering a Spyder as an addition to the fleet, but no way is the 458 leaving my garage. They are truly special cars, arguably from what will end up known as the peak era of the internal combustion engine.

My fear prior to purchasing the 458 was that the paddle shift gearbox would not be as exciting to drive. Boy was I wrong! It adds to the drama immensely. The shifts are so violent and explosive, it makes a PDK feel like a slush box. And the howl of the flat plane V8 is just out of this world. If I had one complaint about the car it would be that the steering is a bit light. And perhaps the brakes aren't as good as my 997-2 RS's PCCB, but then again it is nearly 300 lbs heavier...

Based on Nordschliefe numbers amongst others, to say the 458 Spider runs rings around the 718 Spyder is completely fallacious. The 718 Spyder/GT4 as a track car appears to often get the better of the 458 based on the numbers from Fast Laps etc. Now the Aperta/Speciale is a different story but also a different price category.

Also, while certain modern Ferrari’s have indeed shown incredible appreciation metrics, the current market boom along with tight supply chain has made many cars particularly desirable high end sports cars appreciate in value. Similar appreciation can be said for those who bought recent used Porsches at the right time such as the 991.2 GT3.

while I appreciate the feedback, especially the info that the Ferrari double clutch is engaging, gross hyperbole like runs rings is pretty much worthless not to mention inaccurate unless you are comparing the Ferrari to a Fiat. And I would never confuse the precise and taught PDK with a slush box. Again that’s ridiculous. The Ferraris I drove with paddles shifters felt a bit more raw but so did BMWs first DCT and I don’t know if I’d consider either better than the surgical PDK. To be clear, I know how well my 718 Spyder performs, I’d like to know how much feel and handling dynamics will suffer in comparison if I add a 458, Cowl shake appears to be an issue, I’d like to know if there are any others before I grab a 458 as a dance partner.

Adrift 08-08-2021 10:25 AM

And there is always the reliability and maintenance question; relevant for 99% of us. Every time I flirt with the idea of buying a Ferrari, I think…would I be comfortable taking it to the hill country to blast around back roads? From an accumulated mileage or reliability perspective? Or to the track for a DE weekend?

clutchplate 08-08-2021 11:38 AM

The GT4 and 458 are pretty close on a race track. That wouldn't stop me from getting a 458 though, it's one of the all time greats. And that sound...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6e9b63b160.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e2b2ad7d2d.jpg

triode 08-08-2021 01:32 PM

I'm gobsmacked that a GT4 could run close to a 458 on a track (assuming same driver & conditions); after all, the Ferrari does 3.2 0-60 and 202 top speed, both significantly better than a 718 Spyder/GT4. I suppose the latter's lighter weight and Porsche suspension magic account for similar lap times?

Zhao 08-08-2021 02:05 PM

It's tires. OE tires for the 458 are Bridgestone S001's. A ok but nothing special summer tire. Or the Pirelli Pzero which is also nothing special. 10 years ago tires were a lot different also without the same class of tire. That was 5? generation of tires ago for bridgestone, and each generation was faster then the last.

Compared to the dunlops or cup2s on the gt4... that's a big gap in tire grip. Put good tires on the 458 and it'll blow the doors off the 718. It's the same with the Mclaren from that era. It'll get a good time with a great driver when it was first tested, but then you see people putting great tires on it with a decent driver and dropping seconds off the original test time on OE tires.

TRZ06 08-08-2021 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Zhao (Post 17595255)
It's tires. OE tires for the 458 are Bridgestone S001's. A ok but nothing special summer tire. Or the Pirelli Pzero which is also nothing special. 10 years ago tires were a lot different also without the same class of tire. That was 5? generation of tires ago for bridgestone, and each generation was faster then the last.

Compared to the dunlops or cup2s on the gt4... that's a big gap in tire grip. Put good tires on the 458 and it'll blow the doors off the 718. It's the same with the Mclaren from that era. It'll get a good time with a great driver when it was first tested, but then you see people putting great tires on it with a decent driver and dropping seconds off the original test time on OE tires.

YEP, THIS.

When you see records always being broken at tracks of new cars, at least 50% of that (over time) is the result of better tire tech. and more available grip.

Jamie140 08-08-2021 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Adrift (Post 17594896)
And there is always the reliability and maintenance question; relevant for 99% of us. Every time I flirt with the idea of buying a Ferrari, I think…would I be comfortable taking it to the hill country to blast around back roads? From an accumulated mileage or reliability perspective? Or to the track for a DE weekend?

Really hasn't been an issue since the 430. Through about 7 or 8 post 360 cars, I've never been let down or had an issue except for a flat battery caused by user error. (leaving the door ajar)

JAhmed 08-09-2021 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Adrift (Post 17594896)

Daily drove my 458 for 9000 miles, including winter in Illinois and a road trip to the tail of the dragon to flog it. They are fine.

Underblu 08-09-2021 02:18 PM

Good to know that reliability is reasonable. Thanks to all who contributed useful information. It seems performance wise the 718 Spyder and 458 Spider are comparable with the former being stiffer and a touch more buttoned down and the later having greater acceleration.

Again I don’t understand the need for fallacious hyperbole or engaging in hot air pissing matches. I mean seriously, “Blow the doors off”, what are we on the playground.

clutchplate 08-09-2021 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Underblu (Post 17596986)
Again I don’t understand the need for fallacious hyperbole or engaging in hot air pissing matches. I mean seriously, “Blow the doors off”, what are we on the playground.

If anything it may blow the lightweight convertible top off but definitely not the doors.