Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Comments on GT Silver CGTS build

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 01:26 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by BzzzBom
Doesn’t plug in CarPlay come as a standard option?
Originally Posted by sonicworld
...In the U.S. yes
I first thought: Hey this is wrong! But then I looked on OP's configuration page and see that is true. It's another one of those things that does NOT come standard on a GT4, we get the honor of paying extra for it - Grrr. (Not sure If Spyder is in that same boat).
Old 08-02-2021, 01:42 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I first thought: Hey this is wrong! But then I looked on OP's configuration page and see that is true. It's another one of those things that does NOT come standard on a GT4, we get the honor of paying extra for it - Grrr. (Not sure If Spyder is in that same boat).
2021 added few things to non GT cars Standard Equipment like PDLS, dual zone, and Apple CarPlay.

That’s ok with me. I’m completely happy with the Spyder Standard Equipment—like the 991.2 GT3 front clip, aero, wheels, brakes, PSM, etc
Old 08-02-2021, 01:52 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

I have a 981 with luxor beige interior, which looks lighter than it does in these photos. I love it, as it looks classy. The red calipers do not have anything to do with the interior in my mind...they look great. However, my exterior is Basalt Black Metallic, which works well with the luxor beige. As has been commented many times, you should only please yourself...advice is good...but ultimately ensure you do what YOU want. Your choices are well informed and unusual...which in my book, is good.
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 02:52 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

Forum member hf1 has one (albeit the leather is darker) which gave me the idea. He has another pic in his forum signature which looks lighter but still works IMHO.

Ya know, that actually looks pretty nice 👍.
I stand corrected.

also, didn’t know about car play being standard, it wasn’t on my Spyder
The following users liked this post:
StilettoPat (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 05:21 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
It looks nice to me, but don’t be afraid of the Bordeaux. It’s really beautiful and the space is quite small in there. Brakes? You can always paint them later if that bothers you. For me, the leather trim is just okay. If my only choices were leather trim and standard interior options, I would do the standard and use the $1K for something else.

This is a very focused build and congrats to you.
Thanks Dan for all your support here and on other threads.
I posted the same question over at hf1's Boxster Combo thread and you responded the red calipers were fine and so happy everyone here agrees with you as well.
I love the leather trim on the Black/Luxor combo. And I agree, I would rather spend that $1K somewhere else. But as it's an already highly stylized interior I find matching it with the dash calms everything down

Last edited by sonicworld; 08-02-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:40 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Your build strikes me as a wisely-configured build for trying to make good use of your money. If eventual resale is a thought of yours: All of the money many of us - myself included - pour into options often doesn't show back up at trade-in or sale time.

The red calipers looks great against the silver regardless of the interior color choice. I think that concern about caliper color/interior color is overthinking it on a hard top; which is admittedly easy to do. I can see it being more a concern on a Boxster or Spyder. This becomes even more true if you end up tinting the windows.

I think the Luxor/Black combo looks great! And I love GT Silver for showing off the lines and curves of a Porsche. In my current avatar it almost looks liquid. I had it on my most recent 911 and strongly reconsidered it on my recent order. (I'm only going to a different color this time since I've always wanted to do a brighter color choice at least once!)
Thank you sir, you are most kind. Your car (avatar) looks gorgeous. I'd have an even tougher time with the 911 as I think the car looks stunning in nearly any color!
Old 08-02-2021, 05:48 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Originally Posted by Dyim
IMO, red from calipers, top, and interior doesn’t have to match 100%. I am biased though. My Macan in the background has black/ garnet interior. Doesn’t match 100% with brakes either. Red calipers is different red from brake lights anyways.

Having said that, I personally would pick black/chalk over Luxor with GT silver, if red is no go with you. Of course, I picked all red in my Spyder, but black belts and gauges.
My SA suggested Chalk as well, he said he saw it once and it really popped. Your Spyder sounds awesome, it's an amazing car, congrats!
Old 08-02-2021, 06:29 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Originally Posted by slilley
I think your build looks great! Although if I'm being honest, I think the Black/Bordeaux Red interior (or even Black/Chalk) complements the GT Silver better than the Black/Luxor interior. All of these choices get the nice contrasting stitching, which really looks good to me.

After lots of teeth-gnashing, I ended up with the Black Leather/RaceTex interior since I wanted the seats to be extra grippy when I do AutoX and track events. But no contrast stitching, since I couldn't justify the extra cost. I considered the bucket seats (even drove to a dealer to try them out), but lack of a heated seat option in North America took them out of contention...funny that you can get heated bucket seats in Europe, but not here in the US.

Instead of the interior-colored leather trim that you went with, I went with the Brushed Aluminum trim to brighten up the interior a bit and replace the stock plastic trim.

Don't worry about the red brake calipers - they look good with every exterior color, imho!
Thank you for the honest response. Funny thing is I agree with you but not sure I want the red interior in this car. The Black Leather/RaceTex you mentioned is nice as well. Caught it in a white CGTS at my dealer and was impressed. If I didn't get the Black/Luxor that would be a serious contender. Do you find it comfortable in the Summer? I bet it's better than leather after leaving a car outside in the sun.

Last edited by sonicworld; 08-02-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:53 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Originally Posted by GarrettGTS
Your options are very similar to mine, which is GT Silver with full Bordeaux. I went with the free standard trim in the interior, and it looks fine, plus the finish matches on dash, steering wheel, shifter, etc. unlike many here, I am not a fan of the leather interior trim. I think it makes things look like there were too many pieces stuck together to build the dash. And doors. I almost ordered the free silver wheel, and I like the look. I stuck with the regular headlights but spent money on Carrera Sport wheels in GT Silver to pretty much match your MSRP.

For other small things to consider, the light design package puts lights in the foot wells and visor mirror, which would be nice if you drive in the dark with those fancy headlights. The multifunction steering wheel gets rid of the somewhat awkward wand to control car functions, plus it’s heated, if that matters to you. I’ve only had my car a short time, so I can’t say how important some of these functional choices are to me.

For colors, all of the two-tone interiors look great to me, and I think your color choice looks totally fine. Plus Luxor is more practical than chalk. I see soooooooo many cars with black interiors that I feel like we should get something else when there is a choice.
You make some great points. The GT Silver is awesome isn't it. I love the Carrera Sport wheels too. I first saw them in black on a white Cayman and the look blew my mind, so sharp. I'm glad you mentioned the Light Design Package. My current Boxster has it and I love it, especially with an all black interior. And I agree, I considered black again on this build. But like you told myself I needed to get something else. My first Porsche was a black 944 Turbo with a black/beige interior. I missed it, so it was an obvious choice.

Last edited by sonicworld; 08-02-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:07 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Originally Posted by Goodwood
All I will say is my only regrets about my $103k build is not opting for LED headlights and contrasting stitch with my full leather interior. You have the LEDs chosen already. Contrasting stitch adds so much richness and depth to the interior.
The PDLS+ lights look great too and your rims are killer. I considered the GTS interior for a day or two, then looked into the contrasting stitching but the cost for either put me off. So when I came upon the two-toned interior and saw it was included it felt like a good value and the right choice. If my current car didn't have a black interior I might have chosen it for this one. It's a good match for GT Silver.

Last edited by sonicworld; 08-02-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:11 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Originally Posted by Paiceyfan
I have a 981 with luxor beige interior, which looks lighter than it does in these photos. I love it, as it looks classy. The red calipers do not have anything to do with the interior in my mind...they look great. However, my exterior is Basalt Black Metallic, which works well with the luxor beige. As has been commented many times, you should only please yourself...advice is good...but ultimately ensure you do what YOU want. Your choices are well informed and unusual...which in my book, is good.
OMG, that is a classic color combination, you must love it! Thank you for the compliment. And you are right, I just didn't want to make a possible mistake or overlook something that may be obvious to everyone else.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:53 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

See if your dealer has paint and leather swatches though, then you’ll be sure if they match rather than relying on a pic.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:10 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
See if your dealer has paint and leather swatches though, then you’ll be sure if they match rather than relying on a pic.
Good point, they didn't, two Dolomites but no GT Silver, I thought my SA was kidding. Would it be cool for me to visit another dealer and just walk into their sample area?
Old 08-02-2021, 10:25 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Yes, Spyder is in the same boat. And my saying goes......"PORSCHE.......pay more....get less!!!". Sad to say there is truth to that statement.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:19 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Good point, they didn't, two Dolomites but no GT Silver, I thought my SA was kidding. Would it be cool for me to visit another dealer and just walk into their sample area?
Yeah, I don’t think that would be a problem. How did the Luxor look with the Dolomite?
Did they have a GT Silver in the lot?

Seeing colors in the sun really can help too. I really wanted Gentian Blue, but once I saw it in the sun, I changed my mind.

Quick Reply: Comments on GT Silver CGTS build