Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS 4.0 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 03:49 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,059 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
give the pirellis a fair chance, other than stretched I'm still not sure what I'm not supposed to like about them, they seem perfectly fine to me in the wet and dry
THEY IS UGLY, especially the rear. I mean, really bad. Unacceptable looking. I was following my friend home from the dealership and even on the highway it looks hideous. Not to mention that they give zero rim protection from curbs.
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 04:17 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,824 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
THEY IS UGLY, especially the rear. I mean, really bad. Unacceptable looking. I was following my friend home from the dealership and even on the highway it looks hideous. Not to mention that they give zero rim protection from curbs.
Do you mean that Pirelli look where it looks like they put a 205 wide tire on a 10in wide rim? If so, then ya... I'm not sure who likes that look.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:26 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Bro, they're bad-**** man! yea! I did that to my Honda. --- NOT.

Joking aside, the Porsche rims look very much like these with Pirelli's on them:

Last weekend there happened to be two Caymans there and one had Bridgestone and one Pirelli. the difference is worth the $2k in tires!
Old 10-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Zhao
Drifting

ya I hate that look. Looks like you cheaped out buying the wrong tires. And we aren't driving on steelies.... Rims cost more than tires, so why would I want to protect my tires with my rim? Better to protect the rim with the tire...
Old 10-20-2021, 05:32 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,242 Posts

My reply was based more on the performance of the tire. If you hate the look that much (your sample images are hyperbole) then you should definitely change them. It doesn't really bother me that much to be honest, and I'm still getting used the bigger sidewall (visually) on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ that I have on the car now.
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
AdamIsAdam (10-20-2021), Alpha Ice (10-21-2021), P-car-Vancouver (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:42 PM
JP4931
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

give the pirellis a fair chance, other than stretched I'm still not sure what I'm not supposed to like about them, they seem perfectly fine to me in the wet and dry
rr.
I was so upset that both of my cars (stop sale and ordered another car) came with Pirelli tires. The only thing that I could not pick on my order and it did not go my way either time. That being said, I have run the car twice at the local SCCA autocross and at Barber Motorsports Park for a two day HPDE. I am surprised at the performance of the tires so far. I had two sets of the Michelin PS4S tires on my previous car and that is what I wanted on my new car. Now would I buy the Perilli tires....NO! I agree that they look bad on our cars.
P-car-Vancouver (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 10:43 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

I'll give them a chance, but I'm looking forward to having on the Alpins nonetheless (we're getting frost warnings already in Southern Minnesota). I do agree there is no curb protection and that's part of my fear with them. Another thought I had was, I still have the stock Classic Carrera wheels in a 19" size...which could actually be kinda fun given they are smaller and possibly lighter (plus with a higher end Michelin either PS4S, or maybe cup 2s?).
Old 10-21-2021, 12:48 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I just came back from the dealership and there was a Boxster outside with Pirelli's on it. It's really just the rear tires that seem too narrow for the rims. The fronts look ok, and that brand tire on various other 911's all looked fine. So for some reason it seems Porsche chose a tire that's just too narrow for that 10.5" rim. Hmmm
Old 10-21-2021, 01:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

If you are expecting the tires to protect your wheels from the curb... then you are doing it wrong.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:39 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
If you are expecting the tires to protect your wheels from the curb... then you are doing it wrong.
I was going to say the same thing.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:09 PM
Zhao
Drifting

They’re fine to get for free or a discount but they cost way more than they should for what you get, much like Michelins. Imo people buy Pirelli because of marketing and sizing. People buy Michelins because they are way better than Pirellis for bang for buck but also mostly because of sizing and marketing. If you can choose from any tire, something most Porsche owners can’t say as sizing is limited, then you’d want another manufacturer over Michelin or Pirelli. When it's time to replace your Pirellis cross shop with michelin, bridgestone, and other brands. you'll likely find out the pirellis are stupidly expensive and not that great.

As much as I dislike Michelin, Michelin is probably the smartest choice for me in OE sizing due to the bang for buck factor. But if I could choose any tire it would be a Bridgestone RE71R which is both significantly cheaper and a much better tire from a performance standpoint than a Cup2, and I’d do falkens, hankooks, goodyear, etc etc before the Michelins in that tire class if those manufacturers made tires in 20s for it. I see zero people showing up to a track event on Pirellis or cup2s unless they were the free OE tire for their car or are stuck with oddball sizing for their car.

And for my car at least (gt4) if you want a tire that isn’t a crazy summer tire you’re looking at basically 2 choices that make sense to me. Michelin 4s for a non-track summer tire you could track lightly or Bridgestone’s performance all-season Re980as if you plan to never track it ever and plan to drive with the potential for surprise snowstorms (mountains for example).
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
George from MD (06-20-2023), kwikit356 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 02:21 PM
Zhao
Drifting

I was going to say the same thing.
Originally Posted by Westcoast
Lol, touche.

But... a quick walk of my shop and I see over 90% of the vehicles in my shop have curb damage on them so odds are good if you’re in this thread you have curbed a rim and you will do it again. The worst rashed rims by far are the vehicles with stretched tires like how Pirelli does it. The ones with the most minor have the rubber rim guard, or a bulgy truck tire.

I’ve only curbed one rim in 25 years and it was very minor thx to the tire.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
They’re fine to get for free or a discount but they cost way more than they should for what you get, much like Michelins. Imo people buy Pirelli because of marketing and sizing. People buy Michelins because they are way better than Pirellis for bang for buck but also mostly because of sizing and marketing. If you can choose from any tire, something most Porsche owners can’t say as sizing is limited, then you’d want another manufacturer over Michelin or Pirelli. When it's time to replace your Pirellis cross shop with michelin, bridgestone, and other brands. you'll likely find out the pirellis are stupidly expensive and not that great.

As much as I dislike Michelin, Michelin is probably the smartest choice for me in OE sizing due to the bang for buck factor. But if I could choose any tire it would be a Bridgestone RE71R which is both significantly cheaper and a much better tire from a performance standpoint than a Cup2, and I’d do falkens, hankooks, goodyear, etc etc before the Michelins in that tire class if those manufacturers made tires in 20s for it. I see zero people showing up to a track event on Pirellis or cup2s unless they were the free OE tire for their car or are stuck with oddball sizing for their car.

And for my car at least (gt4) if you want a tire that isn’t a crazy summer tire you’re looking at basically 2 choices that make sense to me. Michelin 4s for a non-track summer tire you could track lightly or Bridgestone’s performance all-season Re980as if you plan to never track it ever and plan to drive with the potential for surprise snowstorms (mountains for example).
Interesting, my Spyder came with Dunlop Maxx Race 2 tires, incredible on the track but man oh man do they pick up every sharp rock or metal shard and embed them deep! My plan is to wear them out and to switch to Michelin PS 4S for summer and light track duty. As for non-summer tires I have already switched over to the Bridgestone RE980AS, honestly I love this tire, it doesn't pick up all of the road crap, awesome in the rain and dry (non track) and the car no longer darts about the road (as compared to the Race 2).

Lol, touche.

But... a quick walk of my shop and I see over 90% of the vehicles in my shop have curb damage on them so odds are good if you’re in this thread you have curbed a rim and you will do it again. The worst rashed rims by far are the vehicles with stretched tires like how Pirelli does it. The ones with the most minor have the rubber rim guard, or a bulgy truck tire.

In the last 20 years or so I have only curbed my tires (GMC 4X4) once, I was in a hurry, not remembering what I was driving and pulled into a banking drive through, yep way too tight... very minor scuffs on one side but the air was blue with commentary!

With the Porsche's I try not to go near curbs and if I do my wife always chides me about how I am going to get a ticket for parking to far away...
Rupert16 (07-13-2022)
Old 10-21-2021, 02:43 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Lol, touche...

Same here. It's more about looks than protection, but at a VERY low speed gentle touch of the curb, the tires may help a bit, better than nothing. But again, it's more about the look for me, and the better Michelin tires overall.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:17 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Alan C.; 10-22-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: GTS 4.0 Tires