Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Big Bird 1, Spyder 0

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 07:08 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Big Bird 1, Spyder 0

Earlier this afternoon on the highway, something large, gray and black suddenly appeared and in a fraction of a second smashed into our windshield, resulting in the following (shots taken at our Porsche dealer which was nearby). Insurance claim filed by phone, we declined resolution by Safelite (to whom the glass team at our insurer usually routes the claims), dealer ordered OEM Porsche replacement, and we're awaiting a call from the assigned adjuster who, we hope, will authorize coverage of OEM replacement. We are immensely grateful that we were not injured or worse. My best guess is that it was an extremely unfortunate goose; we've seen a lot of them around.

Last edited by AviBen; 07-22-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:22 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Thank goodness for safety glass! Glad you are all okay, and a new windshield is easy enough to fix.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:26 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Glad you're ok. Dang, that must have been some big bird!

...on a lighter note. I recommend you watch this along with all of their episodes if you've never watched the show. Best show ever!

The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 07:37 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

UGH! Glad it stayed outside and you all were not hurt. Good call on the Safelite!
Old 07-22-2021, 08:27 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 773 Likes on 382 Posts

Whew! No goose poop either…👍
Old 07-22-2021, 10:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Dealer will probably use Safelite to install the OEM windshield. Mine did.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:12 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

Great to hear you’re safe!
Old 07-22-2021, 10:53 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the support to all!
The following users liked this post:
slilley (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:44 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

In regards to Safelite, I had them replace my windshield due to a pretty large crack that appeared after a rock chip.
The first time they came out was with a "OEM like" replacement, but the tech actually didn't install it due to the replica having extra antenna wires (in front of the driver's view) compared to the OEM glass. I'm glad he did that because I'm not sure most installers would have cared.
They eventually came back out with an OEM piece of glass from a local dealership (same deductible to me) and did that replacement which I was much happier about.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:57 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 773 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
In regards to Safelite, I had them replace my windshield due to a pretty large crack that appeared after a rock chip.
The first time they came out was with a "OEM like" replacement, but the tech actually didn't install it due to the replica having extra antenna wires (in front of the driver's view) compared to the OEM glass. I'm glad he did that because I'm not sure most installers would have cared.
They eventually came back out with an OEM piece of glass from a local dealership (same deductible to me) and did that replacement which I was much happier about.
Yes, glass shops will call it OEM replacement and then also offer the more expensive OEM, but that more expensive OEM doesn’t mean it’s really OEM.
On my Ridgeline, I wanted that little Honda “H” logo that’s in the lower corner and I had to review my claim with my insurance agent to approve it.
The lesson is to make sure you’re getting what you want with any vehicle you own
Old 07-23-2021, 12:59 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,806 Likes on 987 Posts

My worry with glass is not so much the type of glass, but the installer. Bad installers gouge the frame down to bare metal all behind the glass and 5+ years later you wonder why your car is rusting there or why your windshield is leaking, or they break expensive mouldings and glue them. The dealership just brings someone random in to do it, so very hit or miss.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
Yes, glass shops will call it OEM replacement and then also offer the more expensive OEM, but that more expensive OEM doesn’t mean it’s really OEM.
On my Ridgeline, I wanted that little Honda “H” logo that’s in the lower corner and I had to review my claim with my insurance agent to approve it.
The lesson is to make sure you’re getting what you want with any vehicle you own
Simple way to ensure this is to go through a dealer and make sure they order the glass from Porsche. They use local installers, usually Safelite, to then come and do the install.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zhao
My worry with glass is not so much the type of glass, but the installer. Bad installers gouge the frame down to bare metal all behind the glass and 5+ years later you wonder why your car is rusting there or why your windshield is leaking, or they break expensive mouldings and glue them. The dealership just brings someone random in to do it, so very hit or miss.
Dealerships don't bring some rando in to do it. They have relationships with experienced local installers, usually Safelite. Do you honestly think Porsche dealerships would use just some Joe Blow to do work for their customers?
Old 07-23-2021, 01:47 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 671 Posts

No doubt it was a Canada goose! :-)

Old 07-23-2021, 02:42 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,806 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Dealerships don't bring some rando in to do it. They have relationships with experienced local installers, usually Safelite. Do you honestly think Porsche dealerships would use just some Joe Blow to do work for their customers?
Bit of a disconnect on our definitions of ‘experienced local installers’ and ‘randos’.

Dealerships like to use banner shops; price and availability are why IMO, and quality is not really a factor. Banner shops are hit or miss who they are staffed by and who they send out; you could get a guy coming out that is one of the best guy's in the area for quality, or one of the worst. They generally pay installer staff very little and get what they pay for too. So they’ll send out some random who is available right now vs cherry picking their best guy.

If you want a good glass install you want to use a specific guy as it eliminates the random employee factor. All (and I do mean all) the high end bodyshops in my area use one guy’s company, but he’s not cheap and he works to a schedule so he won’t come right now, but he doesn’t screw stuff up and when he’s instantly telling you about it and making it right, not trying to hide it. I once asked him if he tried to do business with high end dealerships and they all were not interested; they just don’t care enough about quality as it’s not their problem imo. I also tried to pass his name on to a dealership we were fixing a particularly bad F up by a banner shop (about $2500 in damage done) and they also weren’t interested, they were just going to go with another cheap banner shop.

Quick Reply: Big Bird 1, Spyder 0