Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What are you all paying for your 4.0 or GT4 ? compared to MSRP ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021 | 12:33 AM
Sayemthree
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche757
$4,000 off MSRP on my CGTS but had to wait a few months longer...
recently ?
Old 07-17-2021 | 12:39 AM
CTDiesel
Advanced

I just picked up my GT4 this week. I paid MSRP, but I placed my order back in November. I am glad my dealer (Danbury Porsche) did the right thing and honored my deal. They undoubtedly could have gotten more for the car in the current market.
Old 07-17-2021 | 12:41 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sayemthree
recently ?
I’m pretty sure that like me, they earned their $4k discount by getting caught up in the engine recall. I paid MSRP but Porsche is giving $4k discount and $1k towards a Porsche experience center trip as compensation for the 3 to 6 month delay.
Old 07-17-2021 | 12:45 AM
Sayemthree
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I’m pretty sure that like me, they earned their $4k discount by getting caught up in the engine recall. I paid MSRP but Porsche is giving $4k discount and $1k towards a Porsche experience center trip as compensation for the 3 to 6 month delay.
is that for those that were delayed? Or those that had to have an engine replaced?
Old 07-17-2021 | 12:53 AM
Zhao
Drifting

other than taxes, which I am sure you all pay too, how does the USA rape us on car purchases? BTW your dollar is worth almost 3/4 what ours is. I am sure wages are different too.
I wasn't talking about the US raping (but cars do cost a fair bit more in the US). He's in Australia. msrp on a GT4 is over 200g. Aussie dollar is like .75 cents usd. He's paying close to double it is in Canada because of import duties as well as Porsche gouging. Same deal as China; heavy import duties there, but the manufacturer heavily gouges on top still. I'd call that rape. A 911 or cayenne is almost double in China what it costs in Canada, but duties are less than 50% of that difference. There is big business in people buying stuff like cayennes, GLS, GLEs in Canada and sending them to China. If you buy a car from BMW, mercedes, Porsche, Landrover, it is pretty much guaranteed they make you sign a non-export agreement document.

Canadian dollar has been like 80+ cents USD lately, but was closer to where the he aussie dollar is not that long ago vs the USD. last year MSRP in Canada on a GT4 when I started looking was around 83000 USD. It's closer now but still a lot less here. There is a big enough difference still that there are also people and dealers exporting new and used cars to the US from Canada. The guy across the street from me has shown up with 3 new Merc GT's in the last 6 months. Right now he has 2 GLC's, and had a S class last week. Those are going south of the border not overseas. I remember when my boss in Seattle bought his 991.2 C4S, we were talking about how it was too bad he didn't buy it before he left Canada as he paid more than a GT3 cost here. US car prices compared to here may not be total rape, but they're still a bit rape.

I don't think income has much to do with it either. Looks like the median household income in Canada is 60k USD, while the US is 54k. While some sectors in the US often earn far more than Canada, I do not think Canada is doing too bad for wages based off those numbers. In my province we literally had dump truck drivers and welders making over 200k. I have trade guys at my shop making 120k a year working 6 hours a day going this wage is bullsh*t! Grade school teachers with 10 years experience make 6 figures in my province and complain about being underpaid. Any one of those jobs could afford a GT4 if they wanted to.
The following users liked this post:
Sayemthree (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021 | 01:15 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Here's a breakdown from my invoice (in Australian dollars):

Car + Delivery: $176803
Tax: $66118
Total ~$243000

The Taxes are brutal, but Porsche are still fleecing an extra $20k-$30k from customers here over the top of other markets all things considered.
Sayemthree (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021 | 01:20 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

is that for those that were delayed? Or those that had to have an engine replaced?
In our case, the need for a new engine is what is causing the delay. Porsche doesn’t compensate for general delays outside of their control. Defective engines caused a long delay, hence the compensation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
P-car-Vancouver (07-17-2021), Sayemthree (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021 | 10:13 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

recently?
Define recent lol

Last edited by JAhmed; 07-17-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2021 | 11:40 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

MSRP on a Spyder but I had to work it. They wanted $15k over and I told them pass. Then they said MSRP if I financed and made at least 6 payments and I told them pass. They eventually said come get it but that was January and I doubt that would happen today.
Old 07-17-2021 | 11:46 AM
RoadRacer62
Intermediate

I ordered my GT4 in January at msrp. The dealership had no allocations when I picked up my car in June and planned to have adm of $20,000 over sticker for 2022 models.
Old 07-17-2021 | 12:15 PM
Russv
Instructor

MSRP for GTS 4.0, ordered in February, received in early June.
Old 07-17-2021 | 01:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zhao
I wasn't talking about the US raping (but cars do cost a fair bit more in the US). He's in Australia. msrp on a GT4 is over 200g. Aussie dollar is like .75 cents usd. He's paying close to double it is in Canada because of import duties as well as Porsche gouging. Same deal as China; heavy import duties there, but the manufacturer heavily gouges on top still. I'd call that rape. A 911 or cayenne is almost double in China what it costs in Canada, but duties are less than 50% of that difference. There is big business in people buying stuff like cayennes, GLS, GLEs in Canada and sending them to China. If you buy a car from BMW, mercedes, Porsche, Landrover, it is pretty much guaranteed they make you sign a non-export agreement document.

Canadian dollar has been like 80+ cents USD lately, but was closer to where the he aussie dollar is not that long ago vs the USD. last year MSRP in Canada on a GT4 when I started looking was around 83000 USD. It's closer now but still a lot less here. There is a big enough difference still that there are also people and dealers exporting new and used cars to the US from Canada. The guy across the street from me has shown up with 3 new Merc GT's in the last 6 months. Right now he has 2 GLC's, and had a S class last week. Those are going south of the border not overseas. I remember when my boss in Seattle bought his 991.2 C4S, we were talking about how it was too bad he didn't buy it before he left Canada as he paid more than a GT3 cost here. US car prices compared to here may not be total rape, but they're still a bit rape.

I don't think income has much to do with it either. Looks like the median household income in Canada is 60k USD, while the US is 54k. While some sectors in the US often earn far more than Canada, I do not think Canada is doing too bad for wages based off those numbers. In my province we literally had dump truck drivers and welders making over 200k. I have trade guys at my shop making 120k a year working 6 hours a day going this wage is bullsh*t! Grade school teachers with 10 years experience make 6 figures in my province and complain about being underpaid. Any one of those jobs could afford a GT4 if they wanted to.
Median incomes are close, but when you look at average income, the US is about 33 percent higher than Canada because the delta in the upper income range is even higher. Canada’s lower income strata earn more than the U.S. But that group isn’t buying too many new Porsches. The upper income groups in the U.S. are much higher income than Canada.
P-car-Vancouver (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021 | 01:49 PM
LnC993
Pro

2022 GT4 at MSRP.
Old 07-17-2021 | 02:10 PM
JWBestJr
Rennlist Member

GT4 MSRP. Ordered 7/8 with expected delivery end of Oct. Live in FL.
Old 07-17-2021 | 03:22 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Median incomes are close, but when you look at average income, the US is about 33 percent higher than Canada because the delta in the upper income range is even higher. Canada’s lower income strata earn more than the U.S. But that group isn’t buying too many new Porsches. The upper income groups in the U.S. are much higher income than Canada.
That is true, the US has more people on the extremes for earners. Canada's upper end wages have definitely stagnated in the last 5+ years while the US's have taken off and it's pretty much non existent to work for someone and make 300k+ here (people in this bracket get poached by companies south of the border) so the tides are turning, but you don't really need to make 300k+ to comfortably buy a new Porsche in Canada. I think people here are comfortable buying far more expensive things than the US because we do not have the crazy financial peaks and valleys south of the border seems to get. No crippling medical expenses to plan for, no major real estate crashes in our history, yet lots of real estate booms, so the middle class/upper middle class in Canada might not be too afraid to buy stuff their counterparts in the US would.

Pre-covid per capita far more Porsches were sold in Canada than the US so I think the numbers support this. One month about 700 were sold here while 4800 were sold in the US (that was a US record sales month in 2019 too, yet 25-30% more Canadians per capita are buying Porsches).

Quick Reply: What are you all paying for your 4.0 or GT4 ? compared to MSRP ?