Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

DRL

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 10:35 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts
Default DRL

A couple of years ago I started noticing that nearly every other car on the road seems to a burned out headlight. I couldn’t figure it out. Then I realized that it was a new feature! For some reason manufacturers started programming the lights so one of the DRLs would extinguish when the turn signal was activated. I was sitting at a red signal this morning looking at the opposing traffic waiting to turn and thought how silly and wrong they look with only one headlight on. Then I thought, hmmm, I hope my car doesn’t do that and realized I never looked! I looked. Thankfully, our cars don’t do that. I’m sure glad it’s not mandated. It looks so stupid to me.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:49 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
A couple of years ago I started noticing that nearly every other car on the road seems to a burned out headlight. I couldn’t figure it out. Then I realized that it was a new feature! For some reason manufacturers started programming the lights so one of the DRLs would extinguish when the turn signal was activated. I was sitting at a red signal this morning looking at the opposing traffic waiting to turn and thought how silly and wrong they look with only one headlight on. Then I thought, hmmm, I hope my car doesn’t do that and realized I never looked! I looked. Thankfully, our cars don’t do that. I’m sure glad it’s not mandated. It looks so stupid to me.
Thanks for sharing ..........
I sure hope my GT4 doesn't do that.

Terry
Old 07-12-2021, 11:04 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 178 Posts

My understanding is that it is mandated and has to do with the proximity of the turn signal to the DRL. If they are in close proximity than the DRL has to turn off while the turn signal is activated. If that is not the case, I'm sure someone will chime in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Last_935:
Alpha Ice (07-12-2021), TikiLou (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 11:13 AM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Last_935
My understanding is that it is mandated and has to do with the proximity of the turn signal to the DRL. If they are in close proximity than the DRL has to turn off while the turn signal is activated. If that is not the case, I'm sure someone will chime in.
That was always my observation, too (although I don't know if it's mandated).
Old 07-12-2021, 01:20 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Last_935
You are 100% correct. It has to be a certain distance from the headlight if on, so that with the light one one could distinguish that the turn signal was lit up while the lights are on. I believe most manufacturers probably don't want to make the light housings as large or big, unless you're Jeep with their headlight design on the Cherokees and trail hawks 🤯

I read about it on another forum previously as I thought too it was silly. I'm never outside my car with the lights and turn signal on haha.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:21 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
It started in Europe about 10 yr ago, I recall Spanish Audis had this "feature"
Old 07-12-2021, 03:53 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
You are 100% correct. It has to be a certain distance from the headlight if on, so that with the light one one could distinguish that the turn signal was lit up while the lights are on. I believe most manufacturers probably don't want to make the light housings as large or big, unless you're Jeep with their headlight design on the Cherokees and trail hawks 🤯

I read about it on another forum previously as I thought too it was silly. I'm never outside my car with the lights and turn signal on haha.

I’m not following. In all my cars, the turn signal is immediately adjacent to the DRL, yet the light stays on when the turn signal is activated. I think it’s just something that some manufacturers decided to do. I don’t think there is any mandate.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 07-12-2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:16 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Last_935 and others are correct that ot is due to a government mandate in certain circumstances.

See: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...sec571-108.xml
Section S5.5.11(a)

Keys phases are:
"If optically combined with a turn signal lamp, is automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated."
"If not optically combined with a turn signal lamp, is located so that the distance from its lighted edge to the optical center of the nearest turn signal lamp is not less than 100 mm, unless:(i) The luminous intensity of the DRL is not more than 2,600 candela at any location in the beam and the turn signal meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7;"

Last edited by StormRune; 07-12-2021 at 04:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StormRune:
Denny Swift (07-12-2021), Last_935 (07-13-2021)

Quick Reply: DRL