Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First oil change for my GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 07:42 AM
Nick_CT
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
I agree with you! Normally I change my oil every 7,500 miles for my cars with naturally aspirated engines (like the GTS4.0), and every 5,000 miles for my cars with turbocharged engines. But when I track a car, like I do with the GTS, I cut all the normal service intervals in half. One day at the track may only be 150-180 miles on the odometer, but each track mile is easily 10x harder on a car than a mile on the street. So things like oil changes, transmission/PDK fluid changes, and brake fluid changes need to happen on a greatly accelerated schedule.
Ah sure, track days are a totally different story - agreed.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:31 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
I agree with you! Normally I change my oil every 7,500 miles for my cars with naturally aspirated engines (like the GTS4.0), and every 5,000 miles for my cars with turbocharged engines. But when I track a car, like I do with the GTS, I cut all the normal service intervals in half. One day at the track may only be 150-180 miles on the odometer, but each track mile is easily 10x harder on a car than a mile on the street. So things like oil changes, transmission/PDK fluid changes, and brake fluid changes need to happen on a greatly accelerated schedule.
FYI, on the 992 GT3 the oil change interval is actually only 1/4 as long for track miles (3k track vs, 12k street miles), but there is no accelerated schedule for Manual gearbox oil change (still 96k miles):

These are the only items that have accelerated maintenance on the track (I assume same for GT4 RS, but not sure about other 718)::

Last edited by GrantG; 06-13-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:09 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
FYI, on the 992 GT3 the oil change interval is actually only 1/4 as long for track miles (3k track vs, 12k street miles), but there is no accelerated schedule for Manual gearbox oil change (still 96k miles)
Thanks for sharing that! I'd never seen an official recommendation for track driving from a manufacturer before. But many of those tracked GT3s do track events every other weekend, and very few miles on the street, so the 3K number makes sense for them. I only do 3-4 track days per year, and most of my miles are on the street. When I'm on-track, I actually monitor the oil temps to keep things under 250 degrees (and more often than not, under 240 degrees). It's amazing how easy it is to keep the oil temps down, simply by shifting 500 or 1,000rpms before reaching redline. I don't care (much) about lap times, so the lost seconds in doing this doesn't bother me - where I'm really losing time on track is scrubbing off way too much speed going into the turns anyway. My previous track car was a Miata, and you barely had to use the brakes in that car because the acceleration was pretty anemic. This car, on the other hand, wow - it's got gobs of power in comparison.
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (06-14-2022)

Quick Reply: First oil change for my GTS