Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

LWBS - I’m so sorry

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 05:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
It's all good guys as I said in my Post above .............

It's your monies ..............
Which is really what it's all about usually. Money.

People who want/need to save money, don't select certain options and then they spend a lot of time bad mouthing them to try to convince themselves that the options suck and they're not missing anything. I always say that it seems on Rennlist, the people with the strongest opinion about an option are almost always people who've never actually owned a car with that option. It's comical, but it's the Rennlist way - wash, rinse, repeat.
The following users liked this post:
998R (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 07:11 PM
998R
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 112 Posts

Hello Bob,

You know as I see and read here on Rennlist.com about some of the options for the Spyder and the GT4.
I cannot sometimes Really-really believe what I see & read sometimes.
Example the Carbon-Bucket-Seats ...........
When I checked into either the New C8 Corvette VS Porsche GT4 I spent hours-days-weeks-months reading and watching every video I could find.
I decided to go with the GT4 for the year 2021 as Porsche offered the excellent 7-Speed PDK.
And everything I saw in text as well as videos said it is without doubt the Best of the Best when it comes to an automatic.
At that same time I checked-out the Carbon-Bucket-Seats and when I say I checked those out I'm talking about spending more time than I think any normal person would ever do.
However being retired I can and do spend as much time as I wish on making what I consider Very-very important decisions on building the GT4.
What I came away with was that since at 76-years old I knew I was not ever going to be tracking mine nor would I be drag-racing it.
So, why should I spend $8,000.00 US Dollars for the Yellow Caliber Carbon-Fiber-Brakes for the Street.
Or $5,900.00 US Dollars for the Carbon-Bucket-Seats.
And certainly not for a Manual-Transmission when Porsche for 2021 offered the 7-Speed PDK.
Keep in mind this is going to be a Street-Driven-Porsche GT4 "Not" a Track-Vehicle ^^^

And Bob since here is another Thread about the Carbon-Bucket-Seats and members Jumping Up & Down raving about how Comfortable they are for even Extended Traveling covering Thousands of Miles of Travel.
Below I'm going to post just one Magazine Article as to what the Reviewer had to say about those.
Also, for anyone with an Open-Mind this guys is just one Article.
Everything I read from Professional Reviewers as well as You-Tube videos had the same-thing to say about the Carbon-Bucket-Seats.
I honestly find it Extremely and I did use the word Extremely difficult and will even take it to the next level (Impossible) to convince myself All the Reviews as well as Videos are all what ???
Wrong ...............

In conclusion if anyone wishes to spend $8,000.00 US Dollars, $5,900.00 US Dollars and drive a New State-of-the-Art 2021 Porsche with a Manual Transmission that's exactly what thay person or persons should do.
After all it's their Porsche and it definitely is whose money ???
Their's !!!

Terry
Yes Terry, the reviews for ME are wrong! That’s the thing with all the reviews you read or watch on anything, what someone else thinks of something isn’t necessarily what YOU are going to think or feel.

I was terrified about my decision (really my wife’s decision) to get LWBS due to all of the negative reviews but those reviews clearly have no relevance to me as I drove 350km in the buckets on the weekend and found them to be the most comfortable seats I have ever been in.

At the end of the day, until you try something for yourself, reviews are just someone else’s perspective (often coloured or biased in nature).

(Oh, and the crusade you are on about how the decisions you have made choosing the options for your car are the best and that the decisions that others have made for their cars are wrong is becoming tiresome).

Cheers,
Harry.
The following 2 users liked this post by 998R:
minn19 (07-09-2021), Porsche444 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 07:20 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 998R
Yes Terry, the reviews for ME are wrong! That’s the thing with all the reviews you read or watch on anything, what someone else thinks of something isn’t necessarily what YOU are going to think or feel.

I was terrified about my decision (really my wife’s decision) to get LWBS due to all of the negative reviews but those reviews clearly have no relevance to me as I drove 350km in the buckets on the weekend and found them to be the most comfortable seats I have ever been in.

At the end of the day, until you try something for yourself, reviews are just someone else’s perspective (often coloured or biased in nature).

(Oh, and the crusade you are on about how the decisions you have made choosing the options for your car are the best and that the decisions that others have made for their cars are wrong is becoming tiresome).

Cheers,
Harry.
spot on!!
Old 07-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

People who want/need to save money, don't select certain options and then they spend a lot of time bad mouthing them to try to convince themselves that the options suck and they're not missing anything. I always say that it seems on Rennlist, the people with the strongest opinion about an option are almost always people who've never actually owned a car with that option. It's comical, but it's the Rennlist way - wash, rinse, repeat.
So when you badmouth ugly colors like that 90s barf teal as a PTS color, what you're really saying is you're trying to justify why you didn't order that amazing color lol? Nah, sometimes a spade is a spade.

I wanted 2 ways. If all the seats were the same price 2 ways would have been my pick. LWBs look the best, they'd hold up the best with me using them (although half them seam to get blown out by people) because I am easy on seats, but the thought of being in them on long trips is no thx. Been there done that with cars with buckets before it gave me anxiety; and now being fix positioned by a seat long term gives my brain anxiety. The only reason I can handle buckets on a race track is because it's non stop action. So saying I prefer 2 ways... there is no trying to convince myself I don't want LWBs, they just fix my *** in one position too much for me to be comfortable mentally. Another legitimate concern is I just don't need buckets to stay braced on a race track. There is no violent movements when I drive that throws me all over the place and affects my driving, so there is no performance advantage for me having LWBs. Then we have the 18 ways.... 18 ways are about as useless to me in a GT4 as getting a class 4 hitch installed.

...So I ordered 18 ways, imo the worst seat logically (but one that won't make me want to kill myself sitting in for 12 hours), because I was told I could have an allocation if I did. Price is a factor overall, but price was not a factor in seats as there really wasn't a lot of options I absolutely needed, and my experience is you can't really get a GT car allocation in Canada unless you're ordering a decent amount of options if you're a nobody.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zhao
So when you badmouth ugly colors like that 90s barf teal as a PTS color, what you're really saying is you're trying to justify why you didn't order that amazing color lol? Nah, sometimes a spade is a spade.
Do you have to own a car to be able to experience color? You don't see the difference?

BTW, to your example, you won't ever see me on here commenting on 2-way seats. Because I've never owned them so I have no ****ing clue how good or bad they are.

But if someone asked for my opinion about something I actually owned, I'd be happy to provide my opinions based on my actual ownership of them.

Last edited by Archimedes; 07-08-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:28 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 68 Posts

I have the 18 ways in my turboS which is used more track than street. On track I bring the side & back bolsters all the way in and it’s not bad at all. When I finally get my GT4 in the fall it’ll have the LWBS, I’ll add the 1/2 cage & belts and it will be great. My .02, if you do a modest amount of track days and mostly street driving get the 18 ways. If you doing a significant amount of track time get the LWBSs
The following 2 users liked this post by lnirenberg:
lovetoturn (07-08-2021), slilley (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:34 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,099 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by lnirenberg
I have the 18 ways in my turboS which is used more track than street. On track I bring the side & back bolsters all the way in and it’s not bad at all. When I finally get my GT4 in the fall it’ll have the LWBS, I’ll add the 1/2 cage & belts and it will be great. My .02, if you do a modest amount of track days and mostly street driving get the 18 ways. If you doing a significant amount of track time get the LWBSs
Agree with that sentiment 100%.
StilettoPat (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:58 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Because of cost, both the PCCB and LWBS will fall victim to this.

We all play mind games with ourselves to justify certain decisions and actions. Human nature.

For me, the LWBS were a no go because it will be my daily and only car. The PCCB option is the one I went back and forth over hundreds of times. I ended up checking that option, can't wait to see them in action.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:02 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 226 Posts

I love the carbon buckets in my spyder and I finally taught my wife how to get in and she now likes them. Sans roof it's an easy "dip" into seat with one hand on door sill and one hand on armrest. I'm even used to the uptight seating and now adjust all my other cars this way.

Building a gt3 now... I prefer buckets, but might go with 4/18s because my son isn't a fan and I want to be able to get my dog in the back of the car. I can either put more miles on the seats I prefer less or less miles on the seat I prefer more... decisions.

Porsche seats are all great choices, just need to match them to your personal use case.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:30 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
I love the carbon buckets in my spyder and I finally taught my wife how to get in and she now likes them. Sans roof it's an easy "dip" into seat with one hand on door sill and one hand on armrest. I'm even used to the uptight seating and now adjust all my other cars this way.

Building a gt3 now... I prefer buckets, but might go with 4/18s because my son isn't a fan and I want to be able to get my dog in the back of the car. I can either put more miles on the seats I prefer less or less miles on the seat I prefer more... decisions.

Porsche seats are all great choices, just need to match them to your personal use case.

Good luck!!! I hear trying to get a GT3 is almost impossible. The wait lists are crazy long and the allocation process is even worse than the GT4.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:06 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Do you have to own a car to be able to experience color? You don't see the difference?
Exactly my point. You don't really need to own something to know it's not for you. Trying it out, knowing people with it, sometimes that's far more than enough experience.

I get your point the guy who's never driven a car with a bucket for more than 5 minutes around the dealership block probably shouldn't comment, completely useless information that garbages up a thread... much like the guy who buys one set of tires 5 years apart saying michelin PS4s are the best!! But having owned and street driven a car long term with buckets before and dealing with buckets in race cars, one sit of a LWB was enough info to for me to know it's a heck of a lot better for a street car than any other bucket I've sat in, and something the naysayers should definitely sit in before they write them off as an option, but still not close enough to a sofa to work for me. The LWB sport seat debate reminds me of when I gave my boss flak for ordering a 991.2 with the 14 ways (I don't like those at all), until he was like I don't fit comfortably in the sport plus seats at my shoulders. Then I was like hmm, it never crossed my mind the sport seats might not work for some people (he's not fat, just wide), I guess valid point!
Old 07-09-2021, 01:10 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Good luck!!! I hear trying to get a GT3 is almost impossible. The wait lists are crazy long and the allocation process is even worse than the GT4.
As long as they're building them for 3 years it should be possible to get one. 2 year ballpark wait at MSRP at the smaller dealership I bought my gt4 through, so if you do the ADM game or hunt around for a dealership it might be less than a 2 year wait.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:46 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Rennlist cracks me up sometimes.... seems the LWB/18-way debate is the GT4's version of all the deviated stitching arguments in the 911 section lol.
tigerhonaker (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 11:52 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Rennlist cracks me up sometimes.... seems the LWB/18-way debate is the GT4's version of all the deviated stitching arguments in the 911 section lol.
Or ................

Manual VS PDK which are Always-always super-fun to see and read.

Terry
Old 07-09-2021, 02:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

It's all good guys as I said in my Post above .............

It's your monies ..............

T.
What's really funny about your posts in this thread is the fact that, in an effort to obtain one of the benefits of PCCB, i.e., low brake dust, you're going to mount up some of the ****tiest brake pads on the planet (Hawk Ceramics) to your brand new GT4. So you're gonna compromise performance for lower dust, rather than improve it by just going PCCB in the first place. Like I said, it's usually about the Benjamins.

Quick Reply: LWBS - I’m so sorry