Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

So many miles of smiles...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 03:00 AM
bubbledragon
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I am not aware of any other car brand/model that can give so many happy regardless daily / weekend / track miles (smiles). Even in traffic with MT I am very happy .

Stuck in my city only managed 2500 miles in 8 months. So envy of those of you who have done so many more! Congrats to everybody here!
The following 3 users liked this post by bubbledragon:
Alpha Ice (07-06-2021), FASTRKMAN (07-06-2021), halfmonkey (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 02:23 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Decided to just take the car out for a drive tonight. Asked the kids who wants to come with and they're all asking to go. Keep in mind, my middle child is the car lover. My oldest son and little girl; not so much. Before I got the car, I would ask if they would go for drives with me and they kind of said "eh" so it's funny now that they're all saying that they want to go. To my shock and surprise, my oldest son actually said to me tonight, I should take him because he's going to be going off to college soon. Keep in mind that's 4 years from now. My middle son said I haven't taken him to drive at night and keep in mind, he's done the most riding by far especially since he was literally the first person to sit in the car. Not even I sat in the car at PECLA first. He got in and stayed in.

Love how the kids and I are bonding over something as simply as a car. Goes to show how anything can bring people together for so many miles of smiles.They also ask to make sure when we do the drives, I put the top down.

BTW, I now have about 1550 miles. Counting down to 2000 miles....
The following 5 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
AdamIsAdam (08-04-2022), flynlo (07-15-2021), mranderson (10-16-2021), Paul E. Dodd (07-15-2021), tigerhonaker (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 11:19 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Decided to just take the car out for a drive tonight. Asked the kids who wants to come with and they're all asking to go. Keep in mind, my middle child is the car lover. My oldest son and little girl; not so much. Before I got the car, I would ask if they would go for drives with me and they kind of said "eh" so it's funny now that they're all saying that they want to go. To my shock and surprise, my oldest son actually said to me tonight, I should take him because he's going to be going off to college soon. Keep in mind that's 4 years from now. My middle son said I haven't taken him to drive at night and keep in mind, he's done the most riding by far especially since he was literally the first person to sit in the car. Not even I sat in the car at PECLA first. He got in and stayed in.

Love how the kids and I are bonding over something as simply as a car. Goes to show how anything can bring people together for so many miles of smiles.They also ask to make sure when we do the drives, I put the top down.

BTW, I now have about 1550 miles. Counting down to 2000 miles....
halfmonkey,

You know I like reading your post as they are so down to earth.
Reads like you have some of the Family as in the kids all wanting to take their turns in the New-Machine.

BTW,
Speaking of your miles and what your using as your Break-in-Procedures ???
Are you by chance using the below ???

I think I'm going to go with the above ^^^ or as close as I can to it.
Terry
Old 07-13-2021, 12:49 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
halfmonkey,

You know I like reading your post as they are so down to earth.
Reads like you have some of the Family as in the kids all wanting to take their turns in the New-Machine.

BTW,
Speaking of your miles and what your using as your Break-in-Procedures ???
Are you by chance using the below ???

I think I'm going to go with the above ^^^ or as close as I can to it.
Terry
Thank you for the kind words. They're all wanting to take a turn in the car. It's funny because I never would have guessed my oldest son and youngest daughter would be like this with riding in the car. Love it and I'll take it. Getting to spend 1 on 1 time with them is awesome, especially when they have that smile on their face while riding in the car. I also found this app where you can record the front and rear camera of my iPhone at the same time and turns it into a PIP video. I bought a suction cup mount and used the app to record them on each of their first rides. Once I hit 2000 miles, I'm going to record them again, once I can floor it to 8k.

Funny thing is, when I drive them around with the top down, they seem to get a little sleepy. Maybe I'm driving it too calmly or maybe the sun on the face, wind in the hair, and cool breeze is putting them to sleep.

As for break in miles, I have not been using the schedule above. I've read it and I know AP apparently suggested this schedule but I decided to just go by the book. Now keep in mind that every now and again, I do go over 4k to about 4.5k but I am keeping to the 4k limit. I have about 450 miles to go so it won't be long now but I will say that Porsche recommending a 2000 mile break-in is definitely the longest break-in period I've ever experienced. Most are like 500 miles.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 07-13-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:01 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thank you for the kind words. They're all wanting to take a turn in the car. It's funny because I never would have guessed my oldest son and youngest daughter would be like this with riding in the car. Love it and I'll take it. Getting to spend 1 on 1 time with them is awesome, especially when they have that smile on their face while riding in the car. I also found this app where you can record the front and rear camera of my iPhone at the same time and turns it into a PIP video. I bought a suction cup mount and used the app to record them on each of their first rides. Once I hit 2000 miles, I'm going to record them again, once I can floor it to 8k.

Funny thing is, when I drive them around with the top down, they seem to get a little sleepy. Maybe I'm driving it too calmly or maybe the sun on the face, wind in the hair, and cool breeze is putting them to sleep.

As for break in miles, I have not been using the schedule above. I've read it and I know AP apparently suggested this schedule but I decided to just go by the book. Now keep in mind that every now and again, I do go over 4k to about 4.5k but I am keeping to the 4k limit. I have about 450 miles to go so it won't be long now but I will say that Porsche recommending a 2000 mile break-in is definitely the longest break-in period I've ever experienced. Most are like 500 miles.
halfmonkey,

So your going by the Porsche Operators Book on the 2,000 mile Break-in-Period.
As quick as you are putting miles on it's not going to be very long before you will be at that Magic-Moment for the 2,000 miles.

Thanks for all your many posts on Rennlist.
I personally find them of interest and very informative.

Next month I'm suppose to have mine so thanks to you and others here on Rennlist I'm much more knowledgeable on the PDK and the different Brake-in-Methods.

Terry
The following users liked this post:
halfmonkey (07-15-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 04:44 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

halfmonkey,

So your going by the Porsche Operators Book on the 2,000 mile Break-in-Period.
As quick as you are putting miles on it's not going to be very long before you will be at that Magic-Moment for the 2,000 miles.

Thanks for all your many posts on Rennlist.
I personally find them of interest and very informative.

Next month I'm suppose to have mine so thanks to you and others here on Rennlist I'm much more knowledgeable on the PDK and the different Brake-in-Methods.

Terry
Yes, I'm following the manual's break-in procedure. I have gone over 4k rpm every now and again but I try not to and it's only for a split second. I figured, if it's in the manual, it's there for a reason. In other words, if it didn't matter why even have a break in procedure or why not cap it at 500 miles or list to incrementally increase your revs as your mileage increases. Without being the engineer that designed and developed the engine, who really knows how much of the break in procedure is truly needed vs how much of it is required by the warranty/repair dept at PAG or how much of it is required by lawyers at PAG, etc. Meaning, maybe an engineer said we think the consumer should break in the car for 500 miles and they can limit it to 6k rpm but then maybe the warranty repair people at PAG said, well let's just be safe and increase it to 1000 miles and drop the rev limit to 5k rpm because maybe 500 miles is not enough time to allow the engine to settle in and it gives us a little time in case the customer rushes it and breaks something within the first 500 miles. Again, I don't know how these things really work but I just figured, it's there so I'll follow it. I know some people don't follow break in procedures and some will follow AP's method that he mentioned. I'm not saying any way is right or wrong, just responding to you asking me about following the manual's procedure.

Regarding putting miles on my car, it gives me an excuse to just take the car out and drive around and come back. My kids love it so why not. I'm sure when you get your car, you'll find many reasons/excuses to just go driving with your wife. I'm sure it will bring you many miles of smiles. Keep in mind, this is our first Porsche, first car that we've custom built and first convertible so we're all loving it. My kids even say good morning to the car if they go in the garage to get in one of the other cars to go out. It's funny. I call the car a smurf because it's light blue and so they're trying to be silly and come up with a Smurf name. They're still working on it. I had to explain to them how the smurf's are named like how the jokester is called Jokey Smurf or how the smart one is called Brainy Smurf.
The following 3 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
cnw126 (07-14-2021), P-car-Vancouver (07-15-2021), tigerhonaker (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 02:45 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

I (we all) know the feeling of anxiously waiting. I was living vicariously through everybody on this forum and enjoying their deliveries and drive reports as if it were my own reports. There are some videos on You Tube that I've lost count of how many times I've watched.
Same here! Watched SOO many YouTube videos! My car set to arrive in Port of Halifax on Saturday July 17. Then by truck or train to Vancouver. Soon…Then I can also stop living vicariously through other people. Also bought mine without test driving it, as there were no cars to test drive. Thanks again for all the great threads you started halfmonkey ! I keep coming back for more.
halfmonkey (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 11:53 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Yes, I'm following the manual's break-in procedure. I have gone over 4k rpm every now and again but I try not to and it's only for a split second. I figured, if it's in the manual, it's there for a reason. In other words, if it didn't matter why even have a break in procedure or why not cap it at 500 miles or list to incrementally increase your revs as your mileage increases. Without being the engineer that designed and developed the engine, who really knows how much of the break in procedure is truly needed vs how much of it is required by the warranty/repair dept at PAG or how much of it is required by lawyers at PAG, etc. Meaning, maybe an engineer said we think the consumer should break in the car for 500 miles and they can limit it to 6k rpm but then maybe the warranty repair people at PAG said, well let's just be safe and increase it to 1000 miles and drop the rev limit to 5k rpm because maybe 500 miles is not enough time to allow the engine to settle in and it gives us a little time in case the customer rushes it and breaks something within the first 500 miles. Again, I don't know how these things really work but I just figured, it's there so I'll follow it. I know some people don't follow break in procedures and some will follow AP's method that he mentioned. I'm not saying any way is right or wrong, just responding to you asking me about following the manual's procedure.

Regarding putting miles on my car, it gives me an excuse to just take the car out and drive around and come back. My kids love it so why not. I'm sure when you get your car, you'll find many reasons/excuses to just go driving with your wife. I'm sure it will bring you many miles of smiles. Keep in mind, this is our first Porsche, first car that we've custom built and first convertible so we're all loving it. My kids even say good morning to the car if they go in the garage to get in one of the other cars to go out. It's funny. I call the car a smurf because it's light blue and so they're trying to be silly and come up with a Smurf name. They're still working on it. I had to explain to them how the smurf's are named like how the jokester is called Jokey Smurf or how the smart one is called Brainy Smurf.
I read you LOUD & Clear on what you said on the Break-in-Procedure.
And actually I'm of the same Mind-Set as you and I might very well end up doing as you have described.
Speaking in general of the Break-in-Procedures ............
I think that some of the Rennlist members don't follow the Porsche Guidelines and for a variety of reasons like, they trade often, could care less what Porsche says, they have lots of Porsches and tons of monies so they do as they see fit.
Guys like the two of us that are not of the Rich & Famous I think have the tendency to be much more careful and in general more careful simply because this Porsche means a lot to us.

As you continue to drive and enjoy your's I hope you will continue to share with us that don't have ours yet.
Especially regarding the 7-speed PDK tranny.

I know your really enjoying the young Crew at your house and their continued interest in the Spyder.

Terry

P-car-Vancouver (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 11:58 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
Same here! Watched SOO many YouTube videos! My car set to arrive in Port of Halifax on Saturday July 17. Then by truck or train to Vancouver. Soon…Then I can also stop living vicariously through other people. Also bought mine without test driving it, as there were no cars to test drive. Thanks again for all the great threads you started halfmonkey ! I keep coming back for more.
As you say I didn't test drive one either.
I have watched on a daily basis YouTube videos and have enjoyed doing so.
There are not hardly any new videos and I think that's simply because of the Conrod issue.
Along with the rest of us waiting to actually receive ours.

Time is passing and all of us waiting will be receiving ours sooner than it has been.
Heck mine was ordered back in December 2020.

I might be wrong but I'm of the opinion that I am Really-really going to love this incoming GT4.

Terry
P-car-Vancouver (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 12:51 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

I read you LOUD & Clear on what you said on the Break-in-Procedure.
And actually I'm of the same Mind-Set as you and I might very well end up doing as you have described.
Speaking in general of the Break-in-Procedures ............
I think that some of the Rennlist members don't follow the Porsche Guidelines and for a variety of reasons like, they trade often, could care less what Porsche says, they have lots of Porsches and tons of monies so they do as they see fit.
Guys like the two of us that are not of the Rich & Famous I think have the tendency to be much more careful and in general more careful simply because this Porsche means a lot to us.

As you continue to drive and enjoy your's I hope you will continue to share with us that don't have ours yet.
Especially regarding the 7-speed PDK tranny.

I know your really enjoying the young Crew at your house and their continued interest in the Spyder.

Terry
I know many people treat their cars differently for many different reasons. We are definitely not of the rich and famous. We didn't lease the car and are planning to keep it for a long time, if not forever so that is why I chose to follow the break in procedure.

I'm so close now to 2000 miles that another 500 miles of keeping it under 4k isn't going to kill me. My kids have even been asking me about the 2000 miles mark. My middle son keeps asking so when I hit 2000 miles, does that mean I can start driving it up to 8k rpm and I say yes? He thens asks what happens when you can drive up to 8k rpm? I tell him, that's where the magic and fun really is to be silly and then I get into the technical explanation and break it down for him. Once I get past 2000 miles, I plan to use the app I found that records using the front and rear camera at the same time and records my family as I take it up to 8k rpm for the first time with them.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do launch control with each of them but if I do, I'm also going to use the app to record them. The reason why I'm still deciding on this is because I would need to do it for 6 people and that's a lot of wear on the clutch.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:12 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

I know many people treat their cars differently for many different reasons. We are definitely not of the rich and famous. We didn't lease the car and are planning to keep it for a long time, if not forever so that is why I chose to follow the break in procedure.

I'm so close now to 2000 miles that another 500 miles of keeping it under 4k isn't going to kill me. My kids have even been asking me about the 2000 miles mark. My middle son keeps asking so when I hit 2000 miles, does that mean I can start driving it up to 8k rpm and I say yes? He thens asks what happens when you can drive up to 8k rpm? I tell him, that's where the magic and fun really is to be silly and then I get into the technical explanation and break it down for him. Once I get past 2000 miles, I plan to use the app I found that records using the front and rear camera at the same time and records my family as I take it up to 8k rpm for the first time with them.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do launch control with each of them but if I do, I'm also going to use the app to record them. The reason why I'm still deciding on this is because I would need to do it for 6 people and that's a lot of wear on the clutch.
Well my Good-Man seems we are of the same Mindset.

Your young-crew are going to have some exciting eyes when you do get to the soon 2,000 mile mark.

And like you this will more than likely be my last Sports car for sure at my age.
So I will be taking care of it.

Terry
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
josephr25 (07-15-2021), P-car-Vancouver (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 02:33 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Also same mindset here. This is my dream car I pined for since my 20’s that I can finally afford / justify and a keeper. On topic of launch control, Porsche PDK’s are build to last and do launch control all day long. So no need to worry you will wear it prematurely by doing 6 launches. Enjoy in good health !!
The following 2 users liked this post by P-car-Vancouver:
JBSea (09-01-2021), tigerhonaker (07-16-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 11:13 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Update: Release The Kraken!

My car has finally hit 2000 miles of smiles! Now it's time to finally turn it up to 11 and hear that 8k redline scream.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 07-17-2021 at 11:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
P-car-Vancouver (07-18-2021), tigerhonaker (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 01:13 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Question

Update: Release The Kraken!

My car has finally hit 2000 miles of smiles! Now it's time to finally turn it up to 11 and hear that 8k redline scream.

Just for you buddy .............

I'm now looking forward to what you have to say if you try the following and report back.

Sport Mode and Wide-Open-Full-Throttle SHIFTS !!!

How hard does it shift if doing that above at WOT/Red-Line in Automatic-Mode ???

Do you have Stock or aftermarket exhaust ???
I'd sure like to know what you think of the sound with Top Closed and Windows Closed/Up ???

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-18-2021 at 01:14 PM.
P-car-Vancouver (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 02:45 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 77 Posts

What a joyful thread -- thanks to all! 7,500 miles here after just under 8 months -- while my 911 TTS and SS (Holden) sit except for some occasional battery-charging errands and spins.
The following 2 users liked this post by AviBen:
halfmonkey (07-18-2021), P-car-Vancouver (07-18-2021)

Quick Reply: So many miles of smiles...