Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 - Hand gun storage / products?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 08:05 PM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

If the OP hasn't run off to another forum by now, I'd add my $0.02 in that I would highly recommend that he consider attending the basic pistol courses (Handgun 101 thru Handgun 104) offerred at The Sig Academy before concluding anything about the pros and cons of having a weapon in the car. The classes are very affordable, well prepared, and consistent.

Pistol / Handgun Training Classes | Progressive Development Courses | SIG SAUER Academy
The following 3 users liked this post by ausgang:
blackland (06-29-2021), DP8 (06-29-2021), Rich_Jenkins (06-30-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 08:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by blackland
Well I have a carry protection policy through the NRA. It pays for any lawyers you might need. But I can afford my own lawyer if needed. If you know the law and follow the law you have nothing to worry about. Georgia is a “Stand your ground state”. You do not have to back down if someone threatens you.

In Georgia your car is considered like your home, if someone is trying to break into it you can defend yourself.

The latest trend here is they bump your car in the back at a stop light. When you get out to look at the damage they carjack your car.
LOL. Do you know how old that urban legend is and how often it gets retreaded on social media?

BTW, how many times have you had to draw your gun in public so far?
Old 06-29-2021, 08:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ausgang
If the OP hasn't run off to another forum by now,
Pancho Villa's long gone by now. Probably over on Calguns asking whether he should go with carbon fiber or painted trim for his interior.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:46 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes;[url=tel:17522821
17522821[/url]]Pancho Villa's long gone by now. Probably over on Calguns asking whether he should go with carbon fiber or painted trim for his interior.
Priceless
Old 06-29-2021, 08:47 PM
shawfm
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
LOL. Do you know how old that urban legend is and how often it gets retreaded on social media?

BTW, how many times have you had to draw your gun in public so far?

Chicago was bad last year... Divvy bicycle car jacking...
It was quite often that I was playing chicken with the rental bikes last year. Wondering where the rest of the bikes were.
And why they would ride down the middle of the street in downtown Chicago
Old 06-30-2021, 08:56 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgang
If the OP hasn't run off to another forum by now, I'd add my $0.02 in that I would highly recommend that he consider attending the basic pistol courses (Handgun 101 thru Handgun 104) offerred at The Sig Academy before concluding anything about the pros and cons of having a weapon in the car. The classes are very affordable, well prepared, and consistent.

Pistol / Handgun Training Classes | Progressive Development Courses | SIG SAUER Academy
A bit closer to the OP's location in central Texas, Karl Rehn runs an excellent school and has a very positive reputation in the training community.

https://www.krtraining.com/schedule.html
Old 06-30-2021, 11:45 AM
brianmch
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And how many times have you had to actually draw your weapon in Atlanta to protect yourself? And how did that turn out for you legally? And why was the situation not avoidable by just some simple risk management techniques?

This logic that crime is bad so I need to pack heat on my person is so flawed for anyone but people in the most unique of circumstances. And the OP, a newb who thinks his best risk mitigation technique is carrying a gun versus just being really careful where he drives his six figure sportscar...

I own multiple firearms and owned and used them for decades. Only a fool thinks the smart solution for them is to carry one around on their person in public.
Open carry without deployment has literally saved my bacon 2 times without ANY legal repercussion. Both times in upscale parts of town to thwart a potential car-jacking and a multiple on one hostile interaction. A draw situation is another level of action entirely but doesn't necessarily rise to an actionable offense.

Recall recently the story of the man sitting in I believe his Maserati convertible in Naples, Fl (pretty nice place) where someone grabbed two wine glasses from the nearby outdoor dining table, broke the drinking parts off, jumped in his car, and began pummeling his chest with the stems.

Who's the fool to be so narrow minded to (a)be a know it all and (b)think that carry can't be useful in an automotive situations.
The following 3 users liked this post by brianmch:
DFW01TT (06-30-2021), Rich_Jenkins (06-30-2021), RolloGigolo (07-02-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 11:55 AM
Russv
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by brianmch
Open carry without deployment has literally saved my bacon 2 times without ANY legal repercussion. Both times in upscale parts of town to thwart a potential car-jacking and a multiple on one hostile interaction. A draw situation is another level of action entirely but doesn't necessarily rise to an actionable offense.

Recall recently the story of the man sitting in I believe his Maserati convertible in Naples, Fl (pretty nice place) where someone grabbed two wine glasses from the nearby outdoor dining table, broke the drinking parts off, jumped in his car, and began pummeling his chest with the stems.

Who's the fool to be so narrow minded to (a)be a know it all and (b)think that carry can't be useful in an automotive situations.
After over 50 years of driving in various parts of the country I have never been in a situation in which I needed a firearm and will never carry one in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by Russv:
josephr25 (06-30-2021), The Pinkoboe (07-04-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 01:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by brianmch

It must be hard living in such fear that you feel you have to carry a weapon on your hip.
The following users liked this post:
The Pinkoboe (07-04-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 01:56 PM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I travel for a few days and come back to this thread... yikes. Sorry to stir up so much drama with this post, I didn't think it would be such a hot topic of discussion with, lets say, "strong opinions" on the subject. It was just a simple ask for options on a particular accessory that fit well in this specific car. I would consider reaching our to a forum as part of my research on the topic and a time saver of product selection from car owners with practical experience.

Not that its anyone's business, but I have been a victim of car jacking before, so I have some sort of interest in this topic.

@inverterman - Thank you for the Amazon link and recommendation on placement, this is exactly the content and feedback I was looking for.

Admins can lock / close the thread if they like, as there are a few helpful responses above that answered my question and may help a future poster.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:26 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 462 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jd-woodlands
I travel for a few days and come back to this thread... yikes. Sorry to stir up so much drama with this post, I didn't think it would be such a hot topic of discussion with, lets say, "strong opinions" on the subject. It was just a simple ask for options on a particular accessory that fit well in this specific car. I would consider reaching our to a forum as part of my research on the topic and a time saver of product selection from car owners with practical experience.

Not that its anyone's business, but I have been a victim of car jacking before, so I have some sort of interest in this topic.

@inverterman - Thank you for the Amazon link and recommendation on placement, this is exactly the content and feedback I was looking for.

Admins can lock / close the thread if they like, as there are a few helpful responses above that answered my question and may help a future poster.
No need to lock the thread. While differing opinions are presented it seems as if everyone is being respectful. Its interesting to hear different points of view on a polarizing topic.

On that note, sorry to hear you have been car jacked in the past. A terrifying experience I am sure and one I hope to never go through. If you had a gun at the time, would you have used it? You seemingly survived with your life though perhaps may have lost your vehicle (hopefully insurance made you whole). Do you think the risk of using a firearm to potentially save your vehicle outweighs the risk of violent escalation should the perpetrator retaliate?
Old 06-30-2021, 04:36 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

to put this back on track, this is my opinion for you. best practices are to carry your pistol on your body while you are in the car, preferably concealed appendix carry. 4 or 6 o clock carry are the worst positions to draw from if you are seated in your car, especially a lightweight bucket seat! Having the pistol holstered on your body concealed is also the best practice, in case you are pulled away from your car.

I recommend a Glock 43 with a good Kydex holster. Sig 365 is also a good option.

Last edited by Five12Free; 06-30-2021 at 04:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Five12Free:
CDinSing (07-01-2021), DFW01TT (06-30-2021), Rich_Jenkins (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 04:50 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

I can respect that; I won't plan to comment further.

Sorry to hear about your experience. That must have been unpleasant, to say the least.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:14 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Recommend a shoulder holster and sport jacket.
Plus one on the Sig Sauer P365, better trigger than Glock.
Agree with training, situational awareness, trying to stay away from trouble, etcetera.
The boy scout motto `be prepared' is appropriate, better to have a tool and not need it, than need a tool and not have it.

Also, don't forget your hearing protection.
Used to carry with silencer attached, but I found this to be more useful and less cumbersome.
Helps with loud exhausts and restaurants too.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by d00d
Recommend a shoulder holster and sport jacket.
Plus one on the Sig Sauer P365, better trigger than Glock.
Agree with training, situational awareness, trying to stay away from trouble, etcetera.
The boy scout motto `be prepared' is appropriate, better to have a tool and not need it, than need a tool and not have it.
So I assume that you also carry a defibrilator around with you as well? You know, because the chance that someone will have a heart attack and need assistance is higher than the probability that you're ever gonna need that gun to protect yourself out in public.

What model of defib do you carry? Hip or shoulder?
The following users liked this post:
The Pinkoboe (07-04-2021)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 - Hand gun storage / products?