Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 - Hand gun storage / products?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021 | 09:32 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

What is the desired outcome for a handgun in the car? Do you want it for defense in the event of an attempted carjacking? Do you plan to carry it when you exit the vehicle? Are you planning to leave it in the car 100% of the time? I'm assuming you don't own firearms currently?

Go to firing range. Get instruction. Rent handguns of different varieties and calibers. Find what's comfortable. Get more instruction.

I personally love Sig Sauer and H&K. I own my share of these, especially Sig. However, I carry Glocks. More affordable and I don't have the same emotional connection to the Glocks as I do the others. So the wear and abuse to the finish doesn't bother me as much.

There are a ton of firearms out there and just as many Rambo's running around with them. Get training.
The following 4 users liked this post by iammacey:
abarthguy (06-28-2021), DFW01TT (06-27-2021), Spike Spiegel (06-28-2021), teej05 (02-15-2024)
Old 06-27-2021 | 10:44 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by iammacey
What is the desired outcome for a handgun in the car? Do you want it for defense in the event of an attempted carjacking? Do you plan to carry it when you exit the vehicle? Are you planning to leave it in the car 100% of the time? I'm assuming you don't own firearms currently?

Go to firing range. Get instruction. Rent handguns of different varieties and calibers. Find what's comfortable. Get more instruction.

I personally love Sig Sauer and H&K. I own my share of these, especially Sig. However, I carry Glocks. More affordable and I don't have the same emotional connection to the Glocks as I do the others. So the wear and abuse to the finish doesn't bother me as much.

There are a ton of firearms out there and just as many Rambo's running around with them. Get training.
why do you assume the OP doesn’t have training?
The following 2 users liked this post by JAhmed:
Goodwood (06-28-2021), TheUnscented (07-07-2021)
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:06 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Once you've had some range time with it, you'll find the Glock 26 (9mm) fits securely in the drivers side door stowage panel.
You won't win any quick draw contests, but you'll be ready.
The following 3 users liked this post by DFW01TT:
CDinSing (07-01-2021), Goodwood (06-28-2021), HooosierDaddy (06-30-2021)
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:29 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JAhmed
OP is looking for recommendations on how to carry and what to carry. Someone with firearm training wouldn't ask either question. They would have a preferred firearm to carry and a preferred carry method.

​​​​​I did ask for clarity from OP in my post on whether they own firearms or rather, stated I assumed they do not. With a question mark.

Many things are possible, including that OP is a firearm expert.

Last edited by iammacey; 06-27-2021 at 11:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gatorfast (06-28-2021)
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:30 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

I would pick out a smaller piece of hardware that you can conceal carry with a holster. That is the best place for it. The Glock G26 or Sig Sauer P365 are possible options. Secondly you can lock it in the glove box temporarily in certain situations, as long no, I mean NO ONE sees you doing that. I would study and take a concealed carry class and get your license to carry. If pulled over, the police will respect the LTC, and maybe not even give you a ticket. Finally, if you are going to carry, make sure you go to the range and practice regularly. Safety and experience are always the most important part of packing heat. I would not carry any firearm until you have your license and have been to the range at least a dozen times.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 06-27-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:34 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

CXX
The following 2 users liked this post by JPMD:
josephr25 (06-28-2021), KelvinC (06-28-2021)
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:36 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I would pick out a smaller piece of hardware that you can conceal carry with a holster. That is the best place for it. The Glock G26 or Sig Sauer P365 are possible options. Secondly you can lock it in the glove box temporarily in certain situations, as long no, I mean NO ONE sees you doing that. I would study and take a concealed carry class and get your license to carry. If pulled over, the police will respect the LTC, and maybe not even give you a ticket. Finally, if you are going to carry, make sure you go to the range and practice regularly. Safety and experience are always the most important part of packing heat. I would not carry any firearm until you have your license and have been to the range at least a dozen times.
States treat concealed carry in the automobile differently, so always know the law of the state you are in.

In Texas, you can carry a firearm in your vehicle without your CCW, even in the glove box. You cannot have it in plain view though.

The best solution is always to get your CCW.
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:48 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Having only scant firearm training, I prefer to carry bear spray in the center console. If someone approaches me at a gas station and I sense bad intentions, I'd rather defuse the situation rather than blow somebody's head off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Selo:
DFW01TT (06-28-2021), Frank Torres (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 01:23 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by JAhmed
LOL. I guess you didn’t read the first post in this thread and/or you don’t have much experience with guns. OP is a firearm newb who is most concerned about how his deadly weapon fits in his car. Perfect example of why the Texas unpermitted open carry law is written by and for retards.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
dichael (06-28-2021), The Pinkoboe (07-04-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 01:55 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
LOL. I guess you didn’t read the first post in this thread and/or you don’t have much experience with guns. OP is a firearm newb who is most concerned about how his deadly weapon fits in his car. Perfect example of why the Texas unpermitted open carry law is written by and for retards.
Yeah I don’t know much about guns, that’s why I asked lol
Old 06-28-2021 | 08:41 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Carry is a must where I live in Atlanta, crime is completely out of hand here. Gas stations are the worst place for crime here. I carry a mini-Glock .40 Cal or a Smith and Wesson Body Guard .380 depending on the situation.

I never leave a weapon in the car, most of the car break-ins here are people looking for weapons to steal. I don’t want it locked in a box, I want quick access if I need it.

I had extensive weapons training in the USMC, if you are not familiar with weapons take a shooting course. Go to a range and try a variety of weapons to see what works for you. Practice often to stay proficient. Do not carry a weapon if you do not think you have it in you to kill someone.
Old 06-28-2021 | 08:58 AM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Skip the firearm and get a Trunk Monkey

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 06-28-2021 at 09:25 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
abarthguy (06-28-2021), ausgang (06-29-2021), AviBen (06-28-2021), Feld (07-04-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 09:12 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Not a big fan of car storage. On the other hand, sometimes you encounter a situation where you have to temporarily leave the gun in the car (e.g. US Post Office) for a short time.

https://www.thetacticalwire.com/rele...b-163455c0e755

If you must temporarily store a gun in your car or truck, for your safety and that of your community, we encourage you to take steps to properly store them. Use a secure storage device, keep it out of sight, try not to be away from the vehicle for an extended length of time and, when you arrive home, take the firearm inside with you to your secure home storage area.

There are any number of small, cable-equipped small clamshell type gun vaults. You can loop the cable around a secure part of the car (e.g. a seat attachment anchor) then stuff the vault under the seat or cover it up. Typically being black they are very hard to see from outside. You can get an idea of what's available at Academy Sports, say.

Much more than than probably depends on the car and you'll have more options such as with a pickup center console.

Specifically and as to handgun, the default answer to any "what compact concealable handgun should I buy" is a Glock 19 Gen 5 and two cases of ammo. Use that to take a class, then you'll have more knowledge to make a different choice. But the G19 hits so many positive attributes for "most" that you can buy one and get on with learning. If you don't like it they are extremely easy to sell later.

Pro Tip: Join the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation as a new member, and get a Pistol Purchase Coupon. This allows you to buy one firearm per year at a vastly discounted price.
The following users liked this post:
abarthguy (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 09:36 AM
gatorfast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iammacey

This. While my first post above was brief, this is what I was referring to. Learn about firearms, take some courses, go to a range, get training. Carrying a gun is a lot of responsibility and not something to be taken lightly.
Old 06-28-2021 | 09:45 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackland
Carry is a must where I live in Atlanta, crime is completely out of hand here. Gas stations are the worst place for crime here. I carry a mini-Glock .40 Cal or a Smith and Wesson Body Guard .380 depending on the situation.

I never leave a weapon in the car, most of the car break-ins here are people looking for weapons to steal. I don’t want it locked in a box, I want quick access if I need it.

I had extensive weapons training in the USMC, if you are not familiar with weapons take a shooting course. Go to a range and try a variety of weapons to see what works for you. Practice often to stay proficient. Do not carry a weapon if you do not think you have it in you to kill someone.
I’ve lived in Atlanta virtually my whole life. Currently O4W. Never had a need to carry. When I see people carrying I think they are bad at risk assessment.

I came here to talk about cars. Why did the original poster raise this question here rather than a handgun forum? Why do the admins leave this thread open?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 - Hand gun storage / products?