Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 - Hand gun storage / products?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 10:41 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And how many times have you had to actually draw your weapon in Atlanta to protect yourself? And how did that turn out for you legally? And why was the situation not avoidable by just some simple risk management techniques?

This logic that crime is bad so I need to pack heat on my person is so flawed for anyone but people in the most unique of circumstances. And the OP, a newb who thinks his best risk mitigation technique is carrying a gun versus just being really careful where he drives his six figure sportscar...

I own multiple firearms and owned and used them for decades. Only a fool thinks the smart solution for them is to carry one around on their person in public.
I always have it ready at the gas station, lots of carjackings and sliders in the Buckhead gas stations. All of my cars are very nice and would certainly be the target of car jackers. I thought about pulling it once when I witnessed a guy ****** a lady’s purse as I was coming into the Publix on Roswell Rd. One of the bag boys started chasing the guy out to his car, not smart as the guy might have had a weapon. I followed him to the car in case he pulled a weapon on the bag boy. I decided a purse was not worth the hassle of shooting the hood rat unless he drew the weapon first. They got his license plate number, the Roswell police caught him rather quickly.

When we would go out to dinner a long time ago now since Covid my wife and I would probably have more than $100k in Rolex watches and her Jewlery on. She has a lot of handbags that cost $60k or more. You bet I am armed because there are always people looking to steal your stuff in The ATL. Live in fear or protect yourself? It is an easy decision for me, but I respect your decision to not carry if you are not comfortable doing so.
The following 5 users liked this post by blackland:
BA73 (06-29-2021), DFW01TT (06-29-2021), Rich_Jenkins (06-29-2021), RolloGigolo (07-02-2021), StilettoPat (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 10:53 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Regarding magnetic mounts, 2 questions:

Would the magnet impact any electronic components? Should this be considered in choosing a mounting location?

Does the magnet in any way affect the casing, or trajectory once fired? (Seems unlikely but ?)
Yes. A magnet will alter the trajectory of a lead and brass bullet and a brass casing. JFK.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:59 AM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 459 Likes on 260 Posts

Couldnt imagine living somewhere so unsafe that carrying a firearm was necessary. For those who choose to carry I hope you never have to use it.
The following 2 users liked this post by gatorfast:
DFW01TT (06-29-2021), RolloGigolo (07-02-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 11:22 AM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Regarding magnetic mounts, 2 questions:

Would the magnet impact any automotive electronic components? Should this be considered in choosing a mounting location?

Does the magnet in any way affect the casing, or trajectory once fired? (Seems unlikely but ?)
I wouldn't put it near any microchips just in case but even the screens now are uneffected by magnets so I'm sure you're fine

to answer question 2: No
Old 06-29-2021, 11:26 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Once you've had some range time with it, you'll find the Glock 26 (9mm) fits securely in the drivers side door stowage panel.
You won't win any quick draw contests, but you'll be ready.
Some fool in Chicago pulled out a select fire gun at a traffic light.
But that’s where the tire pressure gauge goes.

Peter
Old 06-29-2021, 11:28 AM
Mariomark
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

House Bill 1927 eliminates the requirement for Texas residents to obtain a license to carry handguns if they’re not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a gun. So after September first we can carry one in our pocket without a license. I'm going to need a bigger pocket.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by blackland

When we would go out to dinner a long time ago now since Covid my wife and I would probably have more than $100k in Rolex watches and her Jewlery on. She has a lot of handbags that cost $60k or more. You bet I am armed because there are always people looking to steal your stuff in The ATL. Live in fear or protect yourself? It is an easy decision for me, but I respect your decision to not carry if you are not comfortable doing so.
Good luck with that logic. The first time you draw and use that gun in public you’re gonna blow far more on lawyers than you ‘protected’ in Rolexes and Gucci bags.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Have we decided where Quick Draw McGraw is gonna mount the .50 caliber on his GT4 yet?
The Pinkoboe (07-04-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by iammacey
I'm not a negative person. Not scared. Not awaiting the apocalypse. I live in north Georgia where random crime isn't a big thing. At least crime where lethal action would be defensible.

Two weeks ago at Home Depot a guy I knew from childhood was buying plywood. Another customer wanted said plywood. I wasn't there. No idea if the situation escalated verbally between them. The outcome was my childhood acquaintance was shot and killer running away.

I agree situational awareness is critical. Acts of violence do occur. Random acts of violence also occur.

The larger issue I have is someone with no training buying a firearm and carrying it believing they will have the capacity and capability to use it under pressure and stress.
That last part is what it’s all about, though even what passes for ‘training’ in most quarters doesn’t prepare one for the stress of a shooting or the aftermath.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:03 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackland
I always have it ready at the gas station, lots of carjackings and sliders in the Buckhead gas stations. All of my cars are very nice and would certainly be the target of car jackers. I thought about pulling it once when I witnessed a guy ****** a lady’s purse as I was coming into the Publix on Roswell Rd. One of the bag boys started chasing the guy out to his car, not smart as the guy might have had a weapon. I followed him to the car in case he pulled a weapon on the bag boy. I decided a purse was not worth the hassle of shooting the hood rat unless he drew the weapon first. They got his license plate number, the Roswell police caught him rather quickly.

Live in fear or protect yourself illustrated:

DFW01TT (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 04:37 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Well I guess this thread is just going to continue as is. So be it.

With regard to the justified use of force, it is well worth considering the impacts on ones finances following the decision to use force. A useful primer in this regard is Attorney Andrew F. Branca's excellent book, The Law of Self Defense.

Amazon Amazon

In addition, as part of the process of acquiring a LTC/CCW/CWP (varies by state) one should become familiar with the specific laws that apply to you, in your state. And as regards the aftermath, one should consider joining any of the several coverage organizations, such as USCCA, or the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. An annual fee may be highly valuable in the event of having to hire lawyer.

I would certainly also endorse initial and recurring firearms training from a reputable source in your area. This would include concepts beyond the initial licensing proficiency drills, safety, marksmanship, failure drills, legal ramifications, etc. An excellent resource is this web site, which can help identify options geographically: (I have no relationship, just came across it in web browsing.)

http://www.firearmstraininghub.com/

Lastly, although it would be nice to live and work where there is no violent crime, it happens. Here's the story one particularly egregious example, the Petit family..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshi...vasion_murders

Two violent criminals just "liked the look" of this woman and her two daughters, aged 17 and 11. They were beaten, raped, doused with gasoline, set on fire and left to die. This happened in a nice part of Connecticut. I'm sure they didn't think that would happen to them, running out to get food for dinner that afternoon, but it did.

Here's a picture. Nice family. Dr. Petit survived, the other three are dead.

Don't chose to carry? Fine by me. I don't really care, like I said. I firmly believe in situational awareness, making the right decisions, and playing the odds in your favor. A trainer I'm familiar with says "avoid stupid people doing stupid things in stupid places". Unfortunately, you still can get killed just as dead going to the grocery store in Connecticut, as at that filling station on the way to Atlanta Airport in Fulton County. For those who choose to legally carry, it offers them choices in how to respond to an attack. They have the right to self-defense, and "to live without being killed, crippled or raped in an unlawful, immoral attack by a sociopath", as one author puts it. The odds may be low, but the stakes are very high.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 06-29-2021 at 04:38 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Rich_Jenkins:
85Gold (06-30-2021), BA73 (06-29-2021), CDinSing (07-01-2021), DFW01TT (06-30-2021), Dr.Bill (06-29-2021), flynlo (06-29-2021), QWKFLAT6 (07-01-2021), RolloGigolo (07-02-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-29-2021, 05:26 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins;[url=tel:17522338
17522338[/url]]Well I guess this thread is just going to continue as is. So be it.

With regard to the justified use of force, it is well worth considering the impacts on ones finances following the decision to use force. A useful primer in this regard is Attorney Andrew F. Branca's excellent book, The Law of Self Defense.

https://www.amazon.com/Law-Self-Defe...s%2C214&sr=8-1

In addition, as part of the process of acquiring a LTC/CCW/CWP (varies by state) one should become familiar with the specific laws that apply to you, in your state. And as regards the aftermath, one should consider joining any of the several coverage organizations, such as USCCA, or the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. An annual fee may be highly valuable in the event of having to hire lawyer.

I would certainly also endorse initial and recurring firearms training from a reputable source in your area. This would include concepts beyond the initial licensing proficiency drills, safety, marksmanship, failure drills, legal ramifications, etc. An excellent resource is this web site, which can help identify options geographically: (I have no relationship, just came across it in web browsing.)

http://www.firearmstraininghub.com/

Lastly, although it would be nice to live and work where there is no violent crime, it happens. Here's the story one particularly egregious example, the Petit family..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshi...vasion_murders

Two violent criminals just "liked the look" of this woman and her two daughters, aged 17 and 11. They were beaten, raped, doused with gasoline, set on fire and left to die. This happened in a nice part of Connecticut. I'm sure they didn't think that would happen to them, running out to get food for dinner that afternoon, but it did.

Here's a picture. Nice family. Dr. Petit survived, the other three are dead.

Don't chose to carry? Fine by me. I don't really care, like I said. I firmly believe in situational awareness, making the right decisions, and playing the odds in your favor. A trainer I'm familiar with says "avoid stupid people doing stupid things in stupid places". Unfortunately, you still can get killed just as dead going to the grocery store in Connecticut, as at that filling station on the way to Atlanta Airport in Fulton County. For those who choose to legally carry, it offers them choices in how to respond to an attack. They have the right to self-defense, and "to live without being killed, crippled or raped in an unlawful, immoral attack by a sociopath", as one author puts it. The odds may be low, but the stakes are very high.
The Atlanta airport is in Clayton county.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
Live in fear or protect yourself illustrated:

Exactly. And those morons are facing criminal charges. ‘Murica!’

There’s gun ownership, and there’s responsible gun ownership.

Last edited by Archimedes; 06-29-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:27 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Good luck with that logic. The first time you draw and use that gun in public you’re gonna blow far more on lawyers than you ‘protected’ in Rolexes and Gucci bags.
Well I have a carry protection policy through the NRA. It pays for any lawyers you might need. But I can afford my own lawyer if needed. If you know the law and follow the law you have nothing to worry about. Georgia is a “Stand your ground state”. You do not have to back down if someone threatens you.

In Georgia your car is considered like your home, if someone is trying to break into it you can defend yourself.

The latest trend here is they bump your car in the back at a stop light. When you get out to look at the damage they carjack your car.

For the OP I would say how long does it take you to get your weapon out of the lock box?
Goodwood (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:44 PM
shawfm
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Note to self: do not **** off any drivers while in Texas.
Have you seen Chicago's stats for shootings?
We have concealed carry in Illinois, but I can't help but think all these shootings here are by people without a license to begin with.
Goodwood (06-29-2021)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 - Hand gun storage / products?