Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

E-Brake Failure on new Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 08:04 PM
Cali
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default E-Brake Failure on new Spyder

I’ve had my 2021 Spyder for about 6mo now, drive it sparingly unfortunately (not by design, but just what work and life allow). It has 1300mi on it, probably driven once every 2 weeks or so. Today I took it out for a early Fathers Day drive. When I pull out of my driveway, I get a “Parking Brake Fault” message, after I’m already on the road. I pull over and do the tried and true “turn it off and on”. This works. While driving I also notice an alert for “Suspension fault, use caution while driving”. I go along my way but notice Auto Blip aka Sport Mode is now off and can’t be activated while the suspension fault is alerting.

Fast forward to the end of a brief spirited drive, roughly 30 min later, and my buddy and I park our cars just to chit chat. I get back in the Spyder and now the “Park Brake fault” won’t go away. We tried everything, disconnected the battery, fiddled with various steering column controls, tried to drive through the e-brake to engage “intent to drive” function. Nothing worked. Also makes towing very difficult since the back wheels are essentially locked.

I’m disheartened that my brand new Spyder is experiencing this degree of electronics failure. Is the long lapse in driving, aka loss of battery charge, to blame? Do I have a lemon?

Thanks for reading this far, I figured I’d commiserate here over a beer while awaiting the next tow truck, on hour 9 of this ordeal.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (06-21-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 08:39 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

I wouldn't so far as to say you have a lemon based on this one experience. Just call the dealer and they'll get it fixed.

Sorry to hear of your problem but they'll get you on the road again. Hopefully, it's just a quick fix.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:45 AM
jake18
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car’s electric problems. Feel free to leave a feedback so that others can easily find your experience with the Spyder.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-feedback.html
Old 06-21-2021, 11:38 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for posting and please follow up with what you discover.

Quick Reply: E-Brake Failure on new Spyder