Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 on order - still have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 10:21 PM
James.T
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts
Default GT4 on order - still have some questions

Hey everyone. I've currently got a deposit down on a GT4 and have been spending too many hours the past few weeks trying to get to my ideal spec on the configurator. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me.

My (current) build:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNYTGIT7

Approach angle. I'm coming put of a C6 Corvette Grandsport which has a pretty low front lip that sticks put pretty far. It gently scraped the driveway at my current house so I have some concerns for the GT4. Can someone measure the height off the ground/distance ahead of the axle centerline?

Door pull colour. My spec has the base interior. Planning to do painted interior trim (shark blue) and white gauges. What colour are the fabric pulls? Trying to match the belts to this colour. Thinking silver grey or chalk.

Last thing, I think my SA made a mistake. When I arrived to make my deposit, he tossed me the keys to a GTS4.0. By the end of that test drive I wasn't sure if the extra expense of the GT4 is worth it. I'm not able to get a test drive in the GT4 so I'm left wondering if the extra 20k is worth it. Insight appreciated.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:31 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

The upgrade to the GT4 isn't in straight line acceleration or speed, it's in the handling via aero, wider grippier tires, higher ultimate grip, more hard mounted suspension pieces, GT3 front suspension, different coil-over shocks, more aggressive looks and if you get PDK, a more aggressive software tuning.

It takes the GTS's handling and ratchets it up to 11.

Only you can decide what fits better for you.

Seeing as you are coming from a C6 GS, I would say the GT4 is gong to be more comparable performance wise. The C6 GS is an amazing handler with high limits, as you already know. I had the C6 Z06, which is basically your car, but with the LS7 motor. You are not getting to get near the high limits of the C6 on the GTS. The C6 GS & Z06 can do about 1.2 to 1.25 lateral G's on the skidpad, you will see maybe 1.02ish in the GTS, while you will see 1.1 to 1.2 in the GT4 with a good alignment.

Last edited by TRZ06; 05-31-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:40 PM
James.T
Intermediate

Relevant information I neglected to share:

I do 3-4 track days per year. I still have an NC Miata prepped for AutoX in STR class and I am regionally competitive. Basically saying I drive well enough to notice a difference but I still spend more time on the street than on the track. Typical driving would be up to the cottage North of Toronto on decent back roads.

In my typical daily usage I think the GTS would be a great choice. The GT4 would definitely shine at the track but the GTS would be no slouch. I'm thankful I have some time to mull it over.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:45 PM
James.T
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRZ06
The upgrade to the GT4 isn't in straight line acceleration or speed, it's in the handling via aero, wider grippier tires, higher ultimate grip, more hard mounted suspension pieces, GT3 front suspension, different coil-over shocks, more aggressive looks and if you get PDK, a more aggressive software tuning.

It takes the GTS's handling and ratchets it up to 11.

Only you can decide what fits better for you.

Seeing as you are coming from a C6 GS, I would say the GT4 is gong to be more comparable performance wise. The C6 GS is an amazing handler with high limits, as you already know. I had the C6 Z06, which is basically your car, but with the LS7 motor. You are not getting to get near the high limits of the C6 on the GTS. The C6 GS & Z06 can do about 1.2 to 1.25 lateral G's on the skidpad, you will see maybe 1.02ish in the GTS, while you will see 1.1 to 1.2 in the GT4 with a good alignment.
Thanks, that's good to know! Hard to tell on a city test drive what the car might feel like closer to the limit. I've spent a bunch of time in a C6Z as well and always liked the LS7.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:45 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Away from my car, so cannot help with splitter height, just plan to replace it annually, very inexpensive by Porsche standards...

Door pulls match deviated stitching (silver is std), at least on my build, but Suncoast has great pulls available in many colors.....

IMHO, the GT4 is worth twice the GTS if you plan to track or drive aggressively!

I have not driven the GTS4.0, but had a 911 GTS and have a GT3, they are not even on the same planet.....

Could not check the build, but you should be happy with the GT4....

I think you are fortunate to get an allocation!

Good Luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by LZRD GRN:
1swift1 (06-01-2021), Frank Torres (06-01-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 11:04 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James.T
Thanks, that's good to know! Hard to tell on a city test drive what the car might feel like closer to the limit. I've spent a bunch of time in a C6Z as well and always liked the LS7.

The LS7 was an amazing motor, however I had the dreaded head/exhaust valve guide issue and my motor let go with 11K miles on the clock. GM ended up buying it back.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:21 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

CGTS 4.0 will be the more friendly daily driving car and the GT4 although can be daily driven, it seems that most people on this forum are using the GT4 for track days and weekend fun. The CGTS 4.0 will almost match the GT4 in terms of performance but keep in mind the GT4 actually has bits and pieces from the GT3 and functional aero to create downforce that will be useful at the track. The GTS does not. Also the CGTS 4.0 will give you much more available options to spec that are just not available on the GT4 such as keyless entry and go, memory seats, more color choices, more interior color choices, etc.

For me, no matter what options or color are available or not available, the looks and driving dynamics are what confirmed it for me. The GT4 and Spyder just look perfect. The proportions, front bumper design, rear design with functional diffusor, and wing (on GT4) is just something you can't measure.

Funny thing, when my friends found out we bought the Spyder almost all of them asked about test driving the car and how I decided upon the Spyder. I told them I never test drove the car simply because there were none to test drive and the few and far between dealers that had them were already sold so I couldn't test drive those. I did read a bunch of online and magazine reviews and see a bunch of You Tube reviews and used those as my basis for deciding on the Spyder. They were all shocked that I bought the car unseen, including not seeing the PTS color in person, not seeing the CXX interior options in person and having never even sat in the Spyder when I ordered it. I knew from all of the reviews that the GT4 and Spyder were exactly what I wanted in terms of driving dynamics and fun.
The following 3 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
jake18 (06-05-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-02-2021), Spike Spiegel (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:32 AM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 358 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
... you will see maybe 1.02ish in the GTS, while you will see 1.1 to 1.2 in the GT4 with a good alignment.
its worth pointing out that the difference in lateral acceleration is mainly because of the UHP tires fitted to the GT4 as well as it's larger tire sizes, Put the GT4's wheels/tires on the GTS and the lateral G's would be much closer.
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:48 AM
James.T
Intermediate

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
CGTS 4.0 will be the more friendly daily driving car and the GT4 although can be daily driven, it seems that most people on this forum are using the GT4 for track days and weekend fun. The CGTS 4.0 will almost match the GT4 in terms of performance but keep in mind the GT4 actually has bits and pieces from the GT3 and functional aero to create downforce that will be useful at the track. The GTS does not. Also the CGTS 4.0 will give you much more available options to spec that are just not available on the GT4 such as keyless entry and go, memory seats, more color choices, more interior color choices, etc.

For me, no matter what options or color are available or not available, the looks and driving dynamics are what confirmed it for me. The GT4 and Spyder just look perfect. The proportions, front bumper design, rear design with functional diffusor, and wing (on GT4) is just something you can't measure.

Funny thing, when my friends found out we bought the Spyder almost all of them asked about test driving the car and how I decided upon the Spyder. I told them I never test drove the car simply because there were none to test drive and the few and far between dealers that had them were already sold so I couldn't test drive those. I did read a bunch of online and magazine reviews and see a bunch of You Tube reviews and used those as my basis for deciding on the Spyder. They were all shocked that I bought the car unseen, including not seeing the PTS color in person, not seeing the CXX interior options in person and having never even sat in the Spyder when I ordered it. I knew from all of the reviews that the GT4 and Spyder were exactly what I wanted in terms of driving dynamics and fun.
This is good info, thanks.

I'm planning on low level of tech options so I don't think the GT4 is a problem there. The GT4 comes in Shark blue which is very close to my PTS preference colour of Voodoo (or Rubystar) so I'm happy there too.

I'm specing the base seats which I found had good comfort for me and likely better longer road trips with frequent in/out. Road trips with fixed buckets would be a hard no from the Fiance...
Old 06-01-2021, 11:07 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,901 Likes on 792 Posts

Both cars are phenomenal. You really can't go wrong. Daily driving a GT4 with 2 way seats is perfectly doable. Personally, if I could only have one, I'd stick with the GT cars.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:12 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

...Approach angle. I'm coming put of a C6 Corvette Grandsport which has a pretty low front lip that sticks put pretty far. It gently scraped the driveway at my current house so I have some concerns for the GT4. Can someone measure the height off the ground/distance ahead of the axle centerline?
This information has been compiled in a few threads in the 718 GT4/GTS forum...at least one thread has it in its title.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:43 PM
James.T
Intermediate

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
This information has been compiled in a few threads in the 718 GT4/GTS forum...at least one thread has it in its title.
I've done some searching and found conflicting information. The front lip heights seem to range between 110mm and 122mm.

From more internet searching I have found that the C6 Grandsport is around 108mm.

The missing piece of the equation is the distance from wheel centerline to the front lip. Does anyone have this dimension?
Old 06-01-2021, 03:31 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Exclamation

I've done some searching and found conflicting information. The front lip heights seem to range between 110mm and 122mm.

From more internet searching I have found that the C6 Grandsport is around 108mm.

The missing piece of the equation is the distance from wheel centerline to the front lip. Does anyone have this dimension?
James,

So if I am reading and understanding this correctly about the GT4 front-spoiler from the ground to the actual bottom of the GT4 spoiler is in inches below ???

110 mm is ... 4.331 inches

122mm is ... 4.803 inches

I'm very much considering having my Porsche service department raise both ends on my GT4 so it has the exact same rake as stock.
I think another 1/2 inch or 12.7mm
Adding to the 122mm + 12.7mm = 134.7mm or converted to inches ... 5.303 inches

So if I'm doing this correctly and honestly I'm not sure I am.

It means even if I do have mine raised Front & Rear an additional 1/2" the Ground to the Bottom of that front-spoiler is .........."ONLY" 5.303 inches !!!
No wonder the GT4 members are dragging them out in the real-world even if they were Raised an additional 1/2" Front & Rear.
If I have done the numbers correctly above that definitely is going to further influence my decision on having mine Raised the additional 1/2".

Terry
Old 06-01-2021, 03:46 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
its worth pointing out that the difference in lateral acceleration is mainly because of the UHP tires fitted to the GT4 as well as it's larger tire sizes, Put the GT4's wheels/tires on the GTS and the lateral G's would be much closer.
Yes, you are correct. Tire compound and tire width does indeed play the biggest part of the lateral g equation.

The next question though is will the bushing set, spring rates, and shock damping match up if you go to upgrade the tire sizes and compounds. In the GTS's case, I have no clue, but in general as you go down that modding route, it had a chain effect on all other components that you also have to upgrade and so the cycle begins where you end up spending more modding than just getting the next step up car from the factory. Suspension, bushings, etc. are all designed around a specific tire grip level and sizes and when you move from that, you become a test pilot of sorts.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:50 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Hey OP...I am also in the GTA (west end).

1. Have had the car for a year and only (lightly) scraped the splitter once and that was on some crappy North York road...and i had the car lowered by 10mm...so at stock height I wouldn't be too worried on most GTA roads.
2. Don't be so sure on the seats...I have the LWBS and the wife hasn't complained once about them being uncomfortable and we have been on some fairly long drives (2+ hrs)...and judging from your picture, your fiancé is likely younger than my wife!! Worth thinking about, b/c the buckets are really, really nice.
3. The extra 20k is worth it.

Quick Reply: GT4 on order - still have some questions