Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

"Why is that guy taking pictures of his car?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021 | 03:57 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Great photos. Amazing roads too!
We just got a DJI Mavic air 2S. Our PECLA road trip is coming up in July. The aerial photos are truly breathtaking. We are going to take a ton of photos and videos for our incoming spyder along the west coast.
The following users liked this post:
bwhip (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 04:51 PM
bwhip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.JDK
Great photos. Amazing roads too!
We just got a DJI Mavic air 2S. Our PECLA road trip is coming up in July. The aerial photos are truly breathtaking. We are going to take a ton of photos and videos for our incoming spyder along the west coast.
Thanks! Drones open up a whole new world for my auto and motorcycle trip photography - and videography too! Just a few years ago you would have needed your own private helicopter for shots like these.

A few drone pics I've grabbed on my weekend trips since I bought the drone early last year:

The following 4 users liked this post by bwhip:
Dr.JDK (05-11-2021), jake18 (06-29-2021), masti99 (05-17-2021), Zeus993 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 05:33 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by bwhip
Thanks! Drones open up a whole new world for my auto and motorcycle trip photography - and videography too! Just a few years ago you would have needed your own private helicopter for shots like these.

A few drone pics I've grabbed on my weekend trips since I bought the drone early last year:
Stunning. We've taken some photos last week in Seattle. You are absolutely right, we were blown away by the technology and the convenience. No need for helicopters for photography anymore. Some of the footage are almost as if it is taking out of a movie.

masti99 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 06:09 PM
ShiGureKaiSei
Advanced

Amazing pictures ! I can staring those beautiful pictures forever LOL
bwhip (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 06:29 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Beautiful shots and sceneries
bwhip (05-11-2021)
Old 05-17-2021 | 10:17 AM
bwhip
Rennlist Member

Did a nice 500+ mile ride with a few friends on Saturday in eastern/central Oregon. This car + those roads = a match made in driving heaven! So much fun to let a couple of my skilled driving buddies drive the GT4 and see their reaction!

The only bad part was seeing my baby get pelted with dead bugs and dirt. Thankfully I was the leader all day, so my car didn't have to take much spray from cars in front of it (except for the couple of times we traded). Of course, the first order of business when I got home was a proper bath, which allowed me to sleep okay on Saturday night

Ahhhhh... Much better.

The following 3 users liked this post by bwhip:
masti99 (05-17-2021), Spike Spiegel (05-17-2021), tigerhonaker (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021 | 12:04 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

More great pics, but what did your friends that drove it think of the gt4?
Old 05-17-2021 | 12:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.JDK
Stunning. We've taken some photos last week in Seattle. You are absolutely right, we were blown away by the technology and the convenience. No need for helicopters for photography anymore. Some of the footage are almost as if it is taking out of a movie.

Nice pictures, but around here you would get busted if caught taking them in those areas, we have very strick rules about drones in and around the city and indeed any where commercial air traffic operates. I live a few miles away from a hospital and even they have a designated no-fly zone that extends nearly to where I live, couple this with 2 military bases, commercial airport, sea plane bases and hospitals and around town you are grounded.

I was thinking of a drone for some aerial photography but it would be mostly out of town for using it.

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-17-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2021 | 12:41 PM
bwhip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
More great pics, but what did your friends that drove it think of the gt4?
Thanks! Oh man, they were completely gobsmacked by it. They were particularly blown away by the quick steering from the mid-engine configuration, and how absolutely planted it always felt, no matter what they threw at it. It was great before, and I recently made it even better with the addition of the DSC Controller and toe links. I was just running my Michelin PS4S winter/spring set of tires, and the grip was still outstanding (and we were pushing). Both Matt (Focus RS) and Bradd (400+ HP Golf) had recently driven one of their friends' 488 Pista (though not at the pace we were driving), so they're no stranger to performance cars.

Bradd was saying that they really needed to do a drive-by for me in the GT4, so I could hear just how incredible it sounds from the outside, which they'd been hearing from their cars behind me all day, particularly when I'd get hard on the gas or on downshifts. I've got the Soul Over-Axle Pipes on it, but otherwise OEM. It sounds great to me from the cockpit, but of course that's not the same as hearing it from the outside. We pulled over at a little roadside park and I had Matt do a couple of passes in it. The first time he took off and I heard that angry, purposeful bark/howl, I got this huge smile and shouted, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!!?" It sounded absolutely incredible. Made me so happy.

They also went out of their way to praise the gearbox and clutch, and the amazing power delivery and sound of the flat six. They both really, really want one, but don't quite have the budget for it.
tigerhonaker (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021 | 02:50 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Question

Thanks! Oh man, they were completely gobsmacked by it. They were particularly blown away by the quick steering from the mid-engine configuration, and how absolutely planted it always felt, no matter what they threw at it. It was great before, and I recently made it even better with the addition of the DSC Controller and toe links.

I was just running my Michelin PS4S winter/spring set of tires, and the grip was still outstanding (and we were pushing).

Both Matt (Focus RS) and Bradd (400+ HP Golf) had recently driven one of their friends' 488 Pista (though not at the pace we were driving), so they're no stranger to performance cars.

Bradd was saying that they really needed to do a drive-by for me in the GT4, so I could hear just how incredible it sounds from the outside, which they'd been hearing from their cars behind me all day, particularly when I'd get hard on the gas or on downshifts. I've got the Soul Over-Axle Pipes on it, but otherwise OEM. It sounds great to me from the cockpit, but of course that's not the same as hearing it from the outside. We pulled over at a little roadside park and I had Matt do a couple of passes in it. The first time he took off and I heard that angry, purposeful bark/howl, I got this huge smile and shouted, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!!?" It sounded absolutely incredible. Made me so happy.

They also went out of their way to praise the gearbox and clutch, and the amazing power delivery and sound of the flat six. They both really, really want one, but don't quite have the budget for it.
bwhip,

Would you mind commenting further on the,
I was just running my Michelin PS4S winter/spring set of tires, and the grip was still outstanding (and we were pushing).

I'm having my GT4 Cup 2's switched to the PS4S tires as mine will not be Tracked, street driven only .............
Street driven only and everything I have seen on videos as well as text are positive.
One thing that got my attention were the comments about the Noise-Level of the Cup 2 (Track-Tires) vs the PS4S being much quieter on the road etc.
And of course the PS4S in the rain were great ...........

Thanks,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-17-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2021 | 03:09 PM
bwhip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
bwhip,

Would you mind commenting further on the,
I'm having my GT4 Cup 2's switched to the PS4S tires as mine will not be Tracked, street driven only .............
Street driven only and everything I have seen on videos as well as text are positive.
One thing that got my attention were the comments about the Noise-Level of the Cup 2 (Track-Tires) vs the PS4S being much quieter on the road etc.
And of course the PS4S in the rain were great ...........

Thanks,
Terry
Terry - I've been extremely impressed with the PS4S on this car, both in wet/cold, and in dry/warm conditions. On most surfaces, noise level isn't bad, definitely better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2's that came on the car as OEM. We pushed these hard on Saturday, way harder than anyone should on the street (we were in the forest in the middle of nowhere, with no other cars out there, thankfully), and the grip was extremely impressive. No surprises at all. You could hear them protesting a bit, with just the slightest squirm, but they really gave me nothing but confidence. I just bought a set of Cup 2's for my next track set, so it will be interesting to compare.
Old 05-17-2021 | 03:33 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Terry - I've been extremely impressed with the PS4S on this car, both in wet/cold, and in dry/warm conditions. On most surfaces, noise level isn't bad, definitely better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2's that came on the car as OEM. We pushed these hard on Saturday, way harder than anyone should on the street (we were in the forest in the middle of nowhere, with no other cars out there, thankfully), and the grip was extremely impressive. No surprises at all. You could hear them protesting a bit, with just the slightest squirm, but they really gave me nothing but confidence. I just bought a set of Cup 2's for my next track set, so it will be interesting to compare.
bwhip,

Thanks for the additional input.
And I hope I get to see what you have to say once you get the Cup 2 compared to the now PS4S tires ???
That is going to be interesting ^^^

Terry
Old 05-17-2021 | 04:37 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Great photos and shots of the car!
bwhip (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021 | 06:20 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Oh man, they were completely gobsmacked by it. They were particularly blown away by the quick steering from the mid-engine configuration, and how absolutely planted it always felt, no matter what they threw at it. It was great before, and I recently made it even better with the addition of the DSC Controller and toe links. I was just running my Michelin PS4S winter/spring set of tires, and the grip was still outstanding (and we were pushing). Both Matt (Focus RS) and Bradd (400+ HP Golf) had recently driven one of their friends' 488 Pista (though not at the pace we were driving), so they're no stranger to performance cars.

Great summary, thanks for the response. I recently installed Soul OAPs too - I'll have to get someone to do a drive-by for me!
bwhip (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021 | 08:09 PM
bwhip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Great summary, thanks for the response. I recently installed Soul OAPs too - I'll have to get someone to do a drive-by for me!
There was a nice older family at the park where we stopped to do our drive-by test, having a little picnic. They seemed a bit confused and not too happy with us hooligans and our noisy race cars. I apologized to them for the noise, and told them we'd be leaving soon.

Quick Reply: "Why is that guy taking pictures of his car?"