Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Special Edition 718 Spyder - 000 Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 09:58 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Very interesting.

Totally up to you but we viewed them as a defining feature of the 000 Package and one of very few (the only?) unique outward indicators. Spyder + Nacelles > 000 Package car at a glance as it goes away. Were it me, I might request the dealer rectify via the parts dept so they're in place upon delivery for the sake of originality (and include the clear ones). Then again, I am not all that concerned about originality.
I'll ask them to rectify the taillights, most curious. I suspect I might find something else not to 000 package spec, but we'll see. LED Headliights were already dropped from the build months ago.

As for not being overly concerned about originality, me neither I suppose. The first mod I'm contemplating is installing a Sharkwerks close-ratio gearset. Are you particularly bothered by the tall gearing?

Ron
Old 05-06-2023, 10:56 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by peloton
I'll ask them to rectify the taillights, most curious. I suspect I might find something else not to 000 package spec, but we'll see. LED Headliights were already dropped from the build months ago.

As for not being overly concerned about originality, me neither I suppose. The first mod I'm contemplating is installing a Sharkwerks close-ratio gearset. Are you particularly bothered by the tall gearing?

Ron
i was thinking about it on my previous Spyder , and cancel it, plz correct me if I am wrong . You change only 3,4,5 gear , have to beefed up deferential and clutch. Most of driving done in 2 gear and it will stay same . Top speed will be reduced as well. I doing same I did on my previous Spyder , Kline Inconel Exhaust, numeric shifter, Surface Transform ceramic brake disks . Non of this would affect warranty, how ever gear box will. I hope I have a chance to drive friends spyder with 4.5 Demand and gearing change, I drove friends 4.5 demand gt3 and it’s absolute disaster.
i feel long gearing only when drive back to back with my GT3 , otherwise it’s fine , not perfect, but fine.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:07 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 36 Posts

Car arrived at dealership today. I know Albert blue is not common on the 000's and the other colors are great. I think I'll be happy with how this one turned out.

The choice here was to push the ascot a little harder below black beltline, so added leather steering column and shift boot to the lower section.
steering column in Ascot brown is a super nice touch! Well done! Enjoy in the dest of health!
The following users liked this post:
K-Nut (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 11:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Ron
I was bummed to see the LED headlights drop off, but I remember the question and the obvious answer: We'd rather see happy customers than LED headlights—and the standard headlights look just fine. Hard to imagine red taillights were hard to come by, but who knows—it hasn't been easy when it comes to the supply chain.

Re: gearing: I remember being bugged by the 6MT's gearing in my 981 GT4 on backroads, and particularly on CA 91 as the 3.8 had a soft spot between 3500 and 5500 rpm. A number of my friends and I had our cars reflashed, which fixed the issue—though it was back within a week. Felt like the engine was pulling timing. Still, the bigger problem was (iirc) hitting ~82 mph at the top of second and ~112 at the top of third. You had the best Porsche shifter to date, but little need for it. Conversely, range in 6th was abysmal. To my surprise, I found the same gearbox far less frustrating in the 718 Spyder we drove to Pikes Peak. The 4.0 was considerably better, and the cylinder deactivation greatly increased range from way too little to perfectly acceptable for touring. If the car is a long-term keeper (or money is no object), and I was going to use it on the roads over here, I would definitely consider re-gearing it. Not sure which setup I would go with, but I would be looking to get as close to 1-5 and maybe 7 from the 991's 7MT if at all possible. The thing to watch out for is any re-gear that gives you two second gears. Those are out there.

I still think a 718 Spyder + the right exhaust + gears might be one of the all-time keepers. But even in stock form, it's deeply appealing. It isn't wild in any one way, but it's truly exceptional as an analog, three-pedaled, mid-engined roadster with GT bloodlines. Enjoy!
K-Nut (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 11:11 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-Nut
i was thinking about it on my previous Spyder , and cancel it, plz correct me if I am wrong . You change only 3,4,5 gear , have to beefed up deferential and clutch. Most of driving done in 2 gear and it will stay same . Top speed will be reduced as well. I doing same I did on my previous Spyder , Kline Inconel Exhaust, numeric shifter, Surface Transform ceramic brake disks . Non of this would affect warranty, how ever gear box will. I hope I have a chance to drive friends spyder with 4.5 Demand and gearing change, I drove friends 4.5 demand gt3 and it’s absolute disaster.
i feel long gearing only when drive back to back with my GT3 , otherwise it’s fine , not perfect, but fine.
^ Makes a lot of sense to me.

Only way I'd do gears in a 718 is if it's all six replaced as noted above, or the effective final drive is shortened and 6th is made taller. But again, that's just me—and I'd definitely live with it as is for a good long while. These cars are plenty quick, so the only reason I'd do it would be for a sharper power curve in each gear and more fun shifting.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:28 AM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 172 Posts

Only way I'd do gears in a 718 is if it's all six replaced as noted above, or the effective final drive is shortened and 6th is made taller. But again, that's just me—and I'd definitely live with it as is for a good long while. These cars are plenty quick, so the only reason I'd do it would be for a sharper power curve in each gear and more fun shifting.
Was there some kind of durability issue with just having a shorter final drive? I can't remember where I read it (likely here somewhere) but someone said just changing the final drive could have knock on effects of fragility. I think this was in the context of a 997 GT3. Any truth to that or did I misinterpret something? I don't think I'd do any gearbox mod that kept 2nd gear the same as it is stock, but I also haven't driven the car on a track yet.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:44 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

Yes, you can certainly do gears 3,4,5 but with a change of the main shaft do 2 as well, wait there is more... it is my understanding that 6th can also be done, either taller or shorter depending on the goal. You can stay with the same clutch and differential, no need to change them, in fact shorter gears should actually reduce the stress on the differential.

Having said the above, you could change the flywheel/clutch out from the dual-mass unit to a single mass with a higher overall power capacity, but you will notice an increase in NVH and pedal effort. The differential can be upgraded as well, it depends on your intended use for the car, it if going to be mainly a street driver then I personally wouldn't do it, if you are pumping up the power through either a tune or major engine mods then an upgraded flywheel/clutch and diff makes sense.

As for the shortening the final drive, this normally involves the ring and pinion, on the 981/982 this is generally not done as the smaller pinion becomes a weak point, a transmission gearing change has shown to be a better overall option in these cars.

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-07-2023 at 02:50 AM.
K-Nut (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 12:15 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Yes, you can certainly do gears 3,4,5 but with a change of the main shaft do 2 as well, wait there is more... it is my understanding that 6th can also be done, either taller or shorter depending on the goal. You can stay with the same clutch and differential, no need to change them, in fact shorter gears should actually reduce the stress on the differential.

Having said the above, you could change the flywheel/clutch out from the dual-mass unit to a single mass with a higher overall power capacity, but you will notice an increase in NVH and pedal effort. The differential can be upgraded as well, it depends on your intended use for the car, it if going to be mainly a street driver then I personally wouldn't do it, if you are pumping up the power through either a tune or major engine mods then an upgraded flywheel/clutch and diff makes sense.

As for the shortening the final drive, this normally involves the ring and pinion, on the 981/982 this is generally not done as the smaller pinion becomes a weak point, a transmission gearing change has shown to be a better overall option in these cars.
Excellent explanation, I personally had bad experience with messing with transmission (ordered one of the first single mass fly wheel, got it installed, it did not work properly, clutch was biting immediate on release and grinding on shifting, back to the shop, they bleed clutch , same thing, finally send me to Porsche dealer , they took it a part and found that flywheel was wrong size , ended up changing everything new , $6k later car was fine. Shop originally worked on car refund me some money, flywheel provider just refund me money for flywheel so I ended up swallowing most of the disaster cost. From now one I only do simple bolt on , reversible mods. Doing Numeric, Kline inconel exhaust , BMC filters and ST ceramic disks .
000 is my fun cruise car, for crazy day I have manual GT3

peloton (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 12:33 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,711 Posts

Excellent explanation, I personally had bad experience with messing with transmission (ordered one of the first single mass fly wheel, got it installed, it did not work properly, clutch was biting immediate on release and grinding on shifting, back to the shop, they bleed clutch , same thing, finally send me to Porsche dealer , they took it a part and found that flywheel was wrong size , ended up changing everything new , $6k later car was fine. Shop originally worked on car refund me some money, flywheel provider just refund me money for flywheel so I ended up swallowing most of the disaster cost. From now one I only do simple bolt on , reversible mods. Doing Numeric, Kline inconel exhaust , BMC filters and ST ceramic disks .
Wow, that kind of experience would turn me off touching the transmission as well, sorry to hear about it!

Yes, the stock set is pretty sweet, sure the gearing could be shorter but after 3 years of driving I find that it rarely gets in the way of enjoying a great car, the OEM set-up is very smooth and precise, the clutch feel and weight pretty much perfect!

If you mess with it things can change in a way that you don't want or may not like, like NVH from a single mass clutch/flywheel set-up.
The following 3 users liked this post by Westcoast:
K-Nut (05-07-2023), peloton (05-07-2023), UncleDude (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 04:26 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

I'm with you on the manual GT3 love. I've had 991.1, 991.2 and 992 GT3's, all manual. They are just too big of a car for a 911 in my opinion, but all great cars. I now have an 2004 996 GT3 and a 2011 3.8 RS for my crazy Pcar days, the narrow body 996 and the smaller size of the 997.2 compared to the later cars makes them more fun for me. Also, the 996 and 997.2 are so much more analogue adding to the driver involvement and fun. The smaller size of the 718 Spyder is part of the appeal of this 000 car.
K-Nut (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 05:36 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm with you on the manual GT3 love. I've had 991.1, 991.2 and 992 GT3's, all manual. They are just too big of a car for a 911 in my opinion, but all great cars. I now have an 2004 996 GT3 and a 2011 3.8 RS for my crazy Pcar days, the narrow body 996 and the smaller size of the 997.2 compared to the later cars makes them more fun for me. Also, the 996 and 997.2 are so much more analogue adding to the driver involvement and fun. The smaller size of the 718 Spyder is part of the appeal of this 000 car.
I have 992 gt3 and It feels big compared to Spyder (they actually takes same space on lifter ) couple weeks ago I drove 992 gt3rs and got back to my 992 gt3 and it feels small and nimble compared to big brother . New RS is just another level .
I have 992 gt3 and 718 spyder for a year , then trade spyder for GT4RS allocation, 2 month later exchange GT4RS allocation to 000 spyder , so happy . I think Spyder is just one of the best Porsche
Spyder should be done shortly, will post pic , since it went thru massive interior work.
UncleDude (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 05:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Word from people in the right places is you really do not want to do an aftermarket LWF with Porsche's more recent flat sixes. Something down the road of "you'll love it at first, then cry." I seem to recall Harmonics entered the chat.
The following 2 users liked this post by stout:
K-Nut (05-07-2023), Westcoast (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 07:27 AM
James Evans
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh twist my arm! But I don't want to distract from the 000 Spyder focus of this thread.

I had posted an interior photo a while back but here you go:

Thank you for sharing the photos, a truly beautiful Singer 911.

In the photos at least the colour is quite different to the Porsche Linden Green, which appears brighter and more saturated.
K-Nut (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 12:19 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James Evans
Thank you for sharing the photos, a truly beautiful Singer 911.

In the photos at least the colour is quite different to the Porsche Linden Green, which appears brighter and more saturated.
I did not know Porsche has a linden green. I picked this color from the Singer palette.
James Evans (05-15-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 04:56 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Default Albert showroom pics

Last edited by peloton; 05-08-2023 at 04:58 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by peloton:
fxmixer (09-18-2023), IRM (05-28-2023), JAhmed (05-08-2023), K-Nut (05-08-2023), O8X6al (05-09-2023), RxVol (05-08-2023), stout (05-08-2023), timothymoffat (05-09-2023), UncleDude (05-08-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Special Edition 718 Spyder - 000 Edition