Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 PDK vs 991.1 GT3 PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 11:03 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts
Default GT4 PDK vs 991.1 GT3 PDK

I'm in line for a GT4 allocation, on the fence WRT PDK vs M6. I've had a fleet of three pedal cars, but also find a good PDK to be very fun. The car will see some track time and is a fourth vehicle; objective is a lot of fun. A friend of mine's build just locked, but by the time I get to drive his, I expect mine will lock.

I've scoured the internet and so far, can't find a vid that demonstrates how the GT4 PDK behaves in a way that Chris Harris's 991.1 GT3 video conveyed how it responds (see below).

(Go to 8:33 / 513s; the board keeps removing the timestamp I'm linking)

I have some driver's seat time and a ton of passenger seat in a 991.1 GT3 PDK driven in anger and was very impressed with how quickly and smoothly it responds to inputs. For those of you with a GT4 PDK and who have experience with a 991.1 GT3 PDK, how would you compare these metrics? Does the GT4 have the next gear selected before you get your finger off the paddle? Do you find its responsiveness lacking in any way compared with the GT3's PDK?

It also has great response when banging around at lower RPM. For example, below:

(Go to 9:03 / 543s; the board keeps removing the timestamp I'm linking)

Does the GT4 also do this or is there any missing immediacy for commanded shifts?

Last edited by enduro; 03-21-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:04 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Never driven a GT3, but can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be better given it’s a GT derived PDK and time since 991.1.

Think Obsessed Garage has the best 991.1 PDK driving review

There is a thread on GT cars PDK driving impressions.

It’s adaptive and based on throttle position/speed so even non-PDK Sport Auto will zing to 8K.

Essentially 6 modes, non PDK Sport/PDK Sport/ PSM off modes in both auto/manual. These change maps and clutch engagement.

No creep, clutch kick capable, 6500 RPM launch control, etc.

3200 miles in a PDK Spyder so if you have something specific I’ve probably done it.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:30 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

@TXshaggy thx for the input, I'll check out Obsessed Garage for fun & the thread on GT cars for specifics; given the choice and the possibility I won't get seat time ahead of purchase, wanted to know if anyone knew of any surprises for this particular implementation, be it due to emissions or some 'improvement' or whatever. If it behaves very much like a 991.1 GT3, I'll prob do PDK; I was impressed with that transmission.

No creep is one of the big ones for me; I have no use for an artificial behavior to mimic an undesired torque converter behavior.

If you run the TX hill country, try out old road 9 if you haven't already. Just watch out for the nasty jump the first time through. Three sisters are now too full of two wheeled chicanes for my taste.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:46 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’ve run most of the roads up on the Edwards Plateau, but not familiar with “old road 9”...can you give a better georef?

If you mean by “surprise” — “suck”; I’ve experience nothing but positive surprises. It’s a very direct, yet sublime transmission.

I’ve got the Soul OPF delete on so the RL PDK shifts are hair raising. PDK Sport with some PSM off is violent in 1/2 and is accompanied by a note of danger in the OM.

Sisters still good during the week...I don’t work so usually out during the week unless PCA.

You local?
Old 03-21-2021, 01:31 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I’ve run most of the roads up on the Edwards Plateau, but not familiar with “old road 9”...can you give a better georef?
29.9987698,-98.8367047

I always get its name slightly wrong.

I usually run 473 from 281, then head north at the coords above. Works well as part of a loop which includes a few other backroads north of Fredericksburg + 962 to Hamilton Pool road and then a few backroads south of there.

If you mean by “surprise” — “suck”; I’ve experience nothing but positive surprises. It’s a very direct, yet sublime transmission.

I’ve got the Soul OPF delete on so the RL PDK shifts are hair raising. PDK Sport with some PSM off is violent in 1/2 and is accompanied by a note of danger in the OM.
This is what I'm hoping. Leaning hard towards PDK in this car, prob still have a couple months to waffle.

Sisters still good during the week...I don’t work so usually out during the week unless PCA.

You local?
Yep, 3 sisters are where I learned to drive, and I'm often out at Flat Rock Creek ranch which is near Comfort.

Last edited by enduro; 03-21-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:45 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

FM 473 is one of the best roads around...certainly the best close in to San Antonio.

Haha, been on Old 9 Rd many times on my Harley. Picturesque for sure, not sure about any speed iirc. It’s a good route to take to head back south into Boerne.

Anyway, when do you lock? If I’m out you way you could experience a PDK first hand.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 01:59 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Currently I'm at the stage of haven given my local Porsche dealer $5000 last week and am supposed to be 'next in line' for an allocation. They gave me expectations of delivery in Q3, unsure how soon that means a lock is likely but I'm guessing in July or so. I need to call my SA or read around here to get a more firm date.

I'd love a ride & appreciate the offer. Will shoot you a PM this evening. Given the above, no rush. I'm out your way periodically and probably vice versa.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:29 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

What about Matt Farrah's review on the PDK GT4? No help?

Old 03-21-2021, 06:38 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donR
What about Matt Farrah's review on the PDK GT4? No help?

https://youtu.be/FBa5QJ4Acl4
No no help...including wrong info.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:10 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

@donR He picked a super tight road. Very few shifts, never got a good idea of how it responded to his inputs. I want to see a vid where, at several different shift RPM and throttle positions, I can see the hands and get a feel for how it responds to upshift and downshift commands.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:43 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

I have the GT4 with PDK - its a dream! Its my daily driver so I wouldnt have it any other way.. also not tracking the car (ok maybe I will a couple times). I think for the most fun you will be happier with the M6... especially if you will drive occasionally.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:52 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro
@donR He picked a super tight road. Very few shifts, never got a good idea of how it responded to his inputs. I want to see a vid where, at several different shift RPM and throttle positions, I can see the hands and get a feel for how it responds to upshift and downshift commands.
Yeah, and he completely got the RL MPH shift points wrong.

Bottomline, if you’re out carving canyons you’re likely only in 1 or 2 gears manual or PDK. Here in the Hill Country with speed limits at 65-70 it’s most likely 3rd for either tranny. Gear - gear...PDK always 10% shorter.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:06 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro
I'm in line for a GT4 allocation, on the fence WRT PDK vs M6. I've had a fleet of three pedal cars, but also find a good PDK to be very fun. The car will see some track time and is a fourth vehicle; objective is a lot of fun. A friend of mine's build just locked, but by the time I get to drive his, I expect mine will lock.

I've scoured the internet and so far, can't find a vid that demonstrates how the GT4 PDK behaves in a way that Chris Harris's 991.1 GT3 video conveyed how it responds (see below).

(Go to 8:33 / 513s; the board keeps removing the timestamp I'm linking)

https://youtu.be/KVdme4ISq8Y?t=509

I have some driver's seat time and a ton of passenger seat in a 991.1 GT3 PDK driven in anger and was very impressed with how quickly and smoothly it responds to inputs. For those of you with a GT4 PDK and who have experience with a 991.1 GT3 PDK, how would you compare these metrics? Does the GT4 have the next gear selected before you get your finger off the paddle? Do you find its responsiveness lacking in any way compared with the GT3's PDK?

It also has great response when banging around at lower RPM. For example, below:

(Go to 9:03 / 543s; the board keeps removing the timestamp I'm linking)

https://youtu.be/KUCRC2IGeo0?t=543

Does the GT4 also do this or is there any missing immediacy for commanded shifts?
See the below Video that was as of yesterday.
Not in English but makes really no difference as all you want to see is the use of the PDK transmission.

Porsche 718 Cayman gt4 pdk 2021 Essai

•Premiered Mar 21, 2021

Old 03-22-2021, 11:34 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

If you haven't already, then maybe you could take a look at this video. Admittedly it is a PDK GTS but there are lots of views throughout the 2nd half of the video of his finger movement and the subsequent response of the box. It's pretty much immediate. I don't see much, if any, difference to my GT3 PDK box. And it's why I ordered a PDK Boxster GTS.

The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 06:36 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
If you haven't already, then maybe you could take a look at this video. Admittedly it is a PDK GTS but there are lots of views throughout the 2nd half of the video of his finger movement and the subsequent response of the box. It's pretty much immediate. I don't see much, if any, difference to my GT3 PDK box. And it's why I ordered a PDK Boxster GTS.

https://youtu.be/21ByhC5wOTg
i drove this car the same day i drove the 992 turbo, well the 718 gts had a manual transmision, i have to say that the 718 was much more fun than the turbo

Quick Reply: GT4 PDK vs 991.1 GT3 PDK