Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

INCONEL ROLLED or TITANIUM MEGAPHONE TIPS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022 | 02:59 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Assad Jarrahian
Hi folks,

I have an incoming '23 Spyder (GT Silver, PCCB (yellow), Buckets with aftermarket pepita inserts, leather and silver stitching throughout) and I am putting in an order soon for the JCR silenced backbox and not sure which tips to get. I really like how the natural megaphones change color (purple) vs the natural inconel rolled tips (white gold?).

Does anyone have a photo of megaphones on the Spyder? I have seen them on GT4's (in photos) but I wonder how they would look on the Spyder?

Some say they look raw, but not sure if it's too raw for the Spyder configured as a canyon carver.

Thanks.
Congrats on the incoming car! With that said it sounds like you have a very classy and subtle car incoming, and for such a car with classic pepita inserts I think the rolled tips would look cleaner and better suited for the character of the car. I even consider getting them on my car with the adapters for the tips. They do look lovely to my eyes.
Old 10-17-2022 | 04:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Rolled tips in Black and Brushed

I like the look of the rolled tips, sophisticated is what comes to mind, perhaps a little more finished?

What I noticed though is how the black tips get lost in the shadows, the brushed standout, all personal preferences!

FWIW, the PORSCHE script under the spoiler disappears as well in Satin Black.

Last edited by Westcoast; 10-17-2022 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sin911 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 04:51 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I like the look of the rolled tips, sophisticated is what comes to mind, perhaps a little more finished?

What I noticed though is how the black tips get lost on the shadows, the brushed standout, all personal preferences!

FWIW, the PORSCHE script under the spoiler disappears as well in Satin Black.

Agree 100% with you in regards to the tips.

Also, as you said when Porsche script is in black it disappears (I selected the option as well); but now that whole black trim looks somewhat odd on the car as it essentially serves no purpose/function at all. I wish Porsche would paint the panel in body color but leave the customers to choose whether they want chrome Porsche script or black. That would make the car look more 'complete' in a sense.
Westcoast (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 08:00 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast

What I noticed though is how the black tips get lost in the shadows, the brushed standout, all personal preferences!

@Westcoast

As always, great posts

I do not think the tips blend or get lost in the black diffuser nearly as much as your one photo would suggest is typical. You just so happened to catch one lighting condition where the entire rear is in a shadow. Under most lighting conditions the tips are perfectly visible, whether black or chrome.

My car is all black with same black diffuser as everyone else and the black (megaphone) tips are clearly visible. There is plenty of contrast around the tips.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind if my own tips were larger diameter to take up more of the diffuser gap. I chose them because there are claims that the thinner-walled, megaphone design contributes to the high pitched/wailing tone I was after with my JCR Race Pipe. My setup produces the wail in spades, but I cannot confirm how much the megaphone tips contribute to the tone produced.

Avera

Last edited by Avera; 10-17-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Westcoast (10-18-2022)
Old 10-19-2022 | 11:22 AM
Assad Jarrahian
Intermediate

Thank you everyone for your responses and photos.
@Avera are you saying the rolled tips are bigger than the megaphone tips and therefore take up more space with respect to the gap in the diffuser?
I am really hopeful that there is not much of a sound difference between the two tips as I am liking the rolled tips more and more and am about to hit the buy button on JCR's site

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2022 | 11:35 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

No spider pics, but I'm a fan of the megaphone. IMO, better fits the wild nature of the exhaust.

Old 10-19-2022 | 11:42 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would say the outer surround on the rolled tips increases their diameter and fills out the opening.

I thought I recalled @JCR-Porsche Jonny saying that the sound for the megaphone and rolled were either identical or very close.
Avera (10-20-2022)
Old 10-19-2022 | 11:51 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

I have the Kline CF tips on my Spyder and am happy with them.

Old 10-19-2022 | 11:55 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Assad Jarrahian
Thank you everyone for your responses and photos.
@Avera are you saying the rolled tips are bigger than the megaphone tips and therefore take up more space with respect to the gap in the diffuser?
I am really hopeful that there is not much of a sound difference between the two tips as I am liking the rolled tips more and more and am about to hit the buy button on JCR's site

Thanks!
@Assad Jarrahian

I have seen in other posts by Jonny (JCR) that the rolled tips have megaphone tips inside and produce similar tone. This would suggest to me that the rolled tips have an overall larger diameter and would better fill the diffuser gap. I THINK @Westcoast photo supports this presumption.

However, what I cannot confirm is that the rolled tips have the SAME megaphone tips inside, or a smaller version than the stand alone megaphone tips. Further - and I am asking, not disputing Jonny - I cannot see how the rolled tips could produce the same tone if the megaphone is encased? For example, the megaphone tips are quite thin and free to vibrate at a high frequency. Seems the rolled outer housing would mute the frequency? How much does the thin, megaphone architecture actually contribute to the characteristic (wailing) JCR tone? I do not know the answer to that either, but it reasonable to think they make an acoustic impact.

At the end of the day, seems like you are going after an aesthetic in deciding between the megaphone and rolled tips. I think basing your decision on aesthetics is wise because it SEEMS the acoustic difference between the megaphone and rolled tips would not be appreciably significant. Personally, even though the rolled tips MIGHT consume more diffuser gap space than the megaphone tips, I am not a fan of the rolled tip aesthetic. As @enduro states, the megaphone tips just 'fits better' . . . of course, COMPLETELY subjective view.

Avera

Edit: I forgot to mention that when I purchased my developmental (70mm) Race Pipe from Jonny, he accidentally sent me the smaller megaphone tips for the currently marketed 63mm Race Pipe. My point being, the megaphone tips are different sizes, lending to my above suggestion that the megaphone inside the rolled tips might not be the same size as the stand alone megaphone tips. So, again, I cannot confirm whether the diameter of the megaphone and rolled tips are the same, or different?

Last edited by Avera; 10-19-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Assad Jarrahian (10-19-2022)
Old 10-20-2022 | 06:56 PM
Assad Jarrahian
Intermediate

Thank you for all your inputs! Order placed for a silenced megaphone (polished) tip exhaust. @enduro pushed me over the edge with that photo. My religion (in Janko's words) was tied to Beautiful, Understated and Visceral when it came to designing and building my Spyder (and my first Porsche!).

Thanks!
Avera (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022 | 07:07 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

@Assad Jarrahian no prob man! Couple details to set expectations: I track my car often and it took quite a few miles to get the blue, they only really started looking like that in the past couple months. But that's what they look now like with no photo editing and I didn't do anything other than drive the car like it should be driven for its first year. Side effect of the car having to meet modern emissions standards is they're that clean on the inside with minimal effort.
The following 3 users liked this post by enduro:
Assad Jarrahian (10-20-2022), Avera (10-20-2022), Unstock (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022 | 08:31 PM
Unstock
Pro

Was thinking of going with the Kline CF tips when I do my exhaust. But damn, those titanium megaphones would like really good on my Shark blue Spyder .. Will those megaphone titanium tips work with a Kline inconel exhaust?

Quick Reply: INCONEL ROLLED or TITANIUM MEGAPHONE TIPS?