Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb
View Poll Results: To Auto-Blip, or not to Auto-Blip?
I am a die-hard manual blipper
21.71%
Set it and forget it
67.44%
Have been on auto pilot so far but still interested in seeing if unaided is for me
10.85%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Auto-blip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 09:28 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Auto-blip?

To A-B or not to A-B? That is the question.

I was using the feature during break-in just as I was bonding with the car, learning about it's character and not wanting to over-rev past whatever the break-in RPM was for the mileage range during a botched manual rev-match. Once I started going past 6k on the break-in procedure I figured I'd go back to doing it myself, wow was it hard few days to recalibrate, and I thought based on how bad it started off it was going to take far longer. Thankfully it didn't end up too long to relearn things.

The auto-blip feature is exceptionally well executed, but I have found for me it was ultimately more enjoyable to handle this myself. Like prior Boxsters I have owned, rev matching seems to be far easier when you're taking the car by the scruff of its neck, and I think the dual mass flywheel may be contributing to this phenomenon even more. I'm am guessing that's the same though really for all Porsche models; they like to be pushed.

I have also found two things that were a surprise:
1. There seems to be more overrun and overall exhaust character on a downshift when you're handling this yourself. Maybe that's Porsche's reward to the DIY'ers.
2. There doesn't seem to be that screeching (gear grinding) type noise anywhere near as often from my driver's side intake on a downshift. I assume that terrible noise is piezo injector / high pressure FI related, but I've not verified that in any way. I hope at least that it's not just my car that makes these banshee noises.

Now I am admittedly curious to try A-B again now that I am exploring the upper rev ranges, as the crispness of a computerized rev match may be very rewarding up there, but even if it is lightening fast I will probably still choose to manage the process myself. That is to me 50% of why I bought a manual. The other 50% obviously being going up the gears.

Curious to see what others are thinking on this matter. I don't believe there's been much if any posting about this feature. But I'm sure there's search police out there that will prove me wrong.

Last edited by Jim Rockford; 07-15-2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:38 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Rev matching has just never been something I ever bothered to learn and with all my manual cars I just shifted. Lazy on my part I know and I deserve the grief! I’m looking forward to having the auto-blip feature to make up for my sorry excuse for driving skills
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
cnw126 (07-16-2021), Jim Rockford (07-15-2021), P-car-Vancouver (07-25-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:43 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Rev matching has just never been something I ever bothered to learn and with all my manual cars I just shifted. Lazy on my part I know and I deserve the grief! I’m looking forward to having the auto-blip feature to make up for my sorry excuse for driving skills
No shame Double J. It's a nice middle ground between PDK and a complete manual operation. The fact that you can choose on or off is great. If your car is incoming (sounds like it is), you will really enjoy the feature, it is excellent.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Rockford:
Goodwood (07-18-2021), Jeff Jones (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:47 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

One of the main reasons I enjoy a manual is rev matching and heel toe downshifting. So much fun even if I’m not perfect like the car. Still looking for a way to defeat the auto-blip in sport mode in CGTS.
The following 2 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
Car 6 (08-02-2021), Denny Swift (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:52 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I test drove a GT4 and tried both. I am a rev matcher, and have been for years - I just find it satisfying when you really nail it. The car not jerking around is a bonus LOL. But ya, the auto blip feature is impressive and I will use it as a measure it stick against my own progress (unfortunately limited to Normal Mode in the GTS).
Old 07-15-2021, 09:52 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

"A man's got to know his limitations."
The Spyder is better at rev matching than I am, now I'm set and forget.
The following 3 users liked this post by DFW01TT:
Dan Nagy (07-15-2021), Jeff Jones (07-15-2021), Jim Rockford (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:56 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
One of the main reasons I enjoy a manual is rev matching and heel toe downshifting. So much fun even if I’m not perfect like the car. Still looking for a way to defeat the auto-blip in sport mode in CGTS.
Oh no! I didn’t know the GTS was victim to that. I thought Porsche changed all the 718 4.0s in this regard after learnings from the 981 GT cars when A-B was linked to other settings (or at least I think it was that way).
Old 07-15-2021, 10:05 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

I always do it on my motorcycles and continue on my cars...nice to execute it properly by myself and part of the manual experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Denny Swift (07-16-2021), UncleDude (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 10:08 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Oh no! I didn’t know the GTS was victim to that. I thought Porsche changed all the 718 4.0s in this regard after learnings from the 981 GT cars when A-B was linked to other settings (or at least I think it was that way).
Yeah its not as bad as I expected though. There isn’t too much of a difference between normal and sport like other cars. The suspension and sport exhaust have their own buttons to toggle on/off.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:18 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

The software rev matches better than driver can do 100% of the time. Thing with heel-toe is that once you start doin it it just becomes 2nd nature and you do it automatically on every downshift. I haven't had a MT for 7 years, so be interesting if I revert to manual heel-toe or just enable AB.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:27 PM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

I assume most people Rev match unless they're a highly skilled manual driver that can do it perfectly or you're a double clutch guy. Most people I know that heel toe themselves usually change the brake and accelerator pedal out to extend it and bring it higher. Porsche's pedals aren't exactly set up for heel toe because of their standard pedal positioning is awkward
Old 07-15-2021, 10:34 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

One's ability to heel and toe effectively is very dependent on the anatomy of one's feet. My feet naturally point outwards a fair bit, and, as such, to put my foot into a position to heel and toe is extremely awkward and difficult.
Secondly, if you are going at it on a track, a less than perfect rev match can really unsettle the car, and this is where the auto-blip feature can really add to high speed stability.

Last edited by VVG; 07-15-2021 at 10:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
Goodwood (07-18-2021), phefner (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 10:37 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltfl09
I assume most people Rev match unless they're a highly skilled manual driver that can do it perfectly or you're a double clutch guy. Most people I know that heel toe themselves usually change the brake and accelerator pedal out to extend it and bring it higher. Porsche's pedals aren't exactly set up for heel toe because of their standard pedal positioning is awkward
That’s what I was getting at, the pedal placement is awkward but when you are pushing the car it snaps into focus. You need to be deeper into the brake pedal travel then the throttle pedal matches up.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:49 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VVG
One's ability to heel and toe effectively is very dependent on the anatomy of one's feet. My feet naturally point outwards a fair bit, and, as such, to put my foot into a position to heel and toe is extremely awkward and difficult.
This is true for sure. Skill is a factor but body parts, size and orientation factors in massively. I think mods can be made to accommodate (to a varying degree), but a stock car is going to favour and mesh with one body type and it’s configuration over another for sure. I think it extends well beyond the feet and into at least up to the waist. There is also conversely a resolve to find a way to make a body type or disposition improve against the inherent setup of a car with some determination.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:44 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

With Auto-Blip you get a sense of what rev the ECU wants BEFORE you clutch-out. That gives you a chance to rethink the shift, and save a potential mechanical over-rev if your off a couple of gears.

I look at it as a “safety” feature.

Last edited by phefner; 07-15-2021 at 11:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phefner:
DFW01TT (07-16-2021), UncleDude (07-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Auto-blip?