Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

TPMS failure 21 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021 | 03:33 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
DAMN IT !!! Now my car has this dreaded TPMS fault. All was well and I was able to use "Race Mode" in a precautionary manner per my 'best practice' post. UNTIL TODAY.

I had service swap my tires left/right to prepare for upcoming track day. Campaign WMD2 is only applicable if you have a fault or "change wheels" and this campaign is to teach in the TPMS sensors. Since I asked to swap wheels, it seemed appropriate. My service tech ran the campaign and was able to see pressures immediately and on a test run to bed some new brake pads.

I get in the car, TPMS shows the usual "measure after 15 mph"... i get up to speed and TPMS then shows "Measure Runs" in the display. After 5 miles i got the "Tire pressure monitoring fault - Service required" message. I cycle the car off and back on, and the fault occurs again after 5 miles.

@jmartpr Any ideas... Anyone else have this after campaign WMD2 ???

There's a fault/error in the TPMS module code...when you change wheels or the position of the wheel you can get the error.
My solution was to get one of those PIWIS 3 clones...I have the sensor numbers and when I get back from the track just teach the system the sensor numbers...again.
There's another option to do it without knowing the sensor numbers but takes a bit longer.
So far my dealer doesn't have any other campaign or recall on this issue...it really sucks big time.
Not sure what Porsche did...on the 981 I never had this problem....
Old 09-29-2021 | 03:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
There's a fault/error in the TPMS module code...when you change wheels or the position of the wheel you can get the error.
My solution was to get one of those PIWIS 3 clones...I have the sensor numbers and when I get back from the track just teach the system the sensor numbers...again.
There's another option to do it without knowing the sensor numbers but takes a bit longer.
So far my dealer doesn't have any other campaign or recall on this issue...it really sucks big time.
Must be a 'new and improved' system. certainly not as stable as the 981 system, doesn't seem to track the pressures as well either...
Old 09-29-2021 | 03:51 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Thanks... this indeed sux big time. My 981 was solid as a rock; I'd change wheels and the system would learn the new sensors after 100 feet !!!

I've got an appointment for Monday to do it all over again at dealership. But I don't have much hope. Seems like once you get this fault, it stays with you like a bad cold. UGH

@jmartpr Did you get a new software load for the module...??? I guess it didn't help ???
Old 09-29-2021 | 04:22 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

@jmartpr Did you get a new software load for the module...??? I guess it didn't help ???
That's what the dealer told me last time......but sounds more like they just did the relearn.
When I took the car for an oil change they told me there was a campaign for the TPMS. Before that I complaint 2 times about the problem.
Need to bring the issue back to the dealer so PAG knows there's a problem....since I got the PIWIS I haven't gone back to the dealer for this issue.

Old 09-29-2021 | 07:00 PM
VoodooUomo
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I ran into this problem 4 days into my GT4's ownership after activating track mode as well (TPMS wouldn't read, but no error messages). I tried a bunch of things that didn't work but one thing did seem to re-activate it: I switched the system to winter tires then back to summers. It seemed to work without a problem after that.
Maybe this works for others having the same problem?
Old 09-29-2021 | 07:05 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VoodooUomo
FWIW, I ran into this problem 4 days into my GT4's ownership after activating track mode as well (TPMS wouldn't read, but no error messages). I tried a bunch of things that didn't work but one thing did seem to re-activate it: I switched the system to winter tires then back to summers. It seemed to work without a problem after that.
Maybe this works for others having the same problem?

Tried that...didn't work. For some reason, in my case, the system recognizes the new TPMS when I swap wheel/tires at the track...but when I change back to OEM it wont recognize the TPMS. It's like the system wont recognize several ID numbers in a short period of time.
Old 09-29-2021 | 09:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Tried that...didn't work. For some reason, in my case, the system recognizes the new TPMS when I swap wheel/tires at the track...but when I change back to OEM it wont recognize the TPMS. It's like the system wont recognize several ID numbers in a short period of time.
I did notice this even on my Spyder, going from one set of wheels to another (with a second set of TPMS sensors), it could take many miles and upwards of 30 minute to register.

But staying with the same wheels and simply getting started for the first time after a shutdown, even though the system shows blanks for pressure at startup, it will pick them up within a very short time, less than a minute and a couple hundred feet.
Old 09-30-2021 | 12:26 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

That's what the dealer told me last time......but sounds more like they just did the relearn.
When I took the car for an oil change they told me there was a campaign for the TPMS. Before that I complaint 2 times about the problem.
Need to bring the issue back to the dealer so PAG knows there's a problem....since I got the PIWIS I haven't gone back to the dealer for this issue.
Does anyone know if there is actually a software update available for the TPMS module?? Several here have posted about an update being available in July, but then slipping out to future date?

Sounds like many are just getting a "reset/re-learn" process as a band-aid. This is definitely a software issue IMO
Old 09-30-2021 | 12:31 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Sounds like many are just getting a "reset/re-learn" process as a band-aid. This is definitely a software issue IMO
100% agree.....will bring it up in October when I visit the dealer.
Old 09-30-2021 | 12:32 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

I know we are all frustrating by the "new" TPMS system. Those of us that had 981/991 vehicles never gave TPMS a second thought - worked like a charm. Although I do and did wish that the MFD would display temps as well as pressure.

My guess is that Porsche got a new supplier for TPMS electronics for the GT4/Spyder, and with it came crappy buggy code... just a theory though, I have no evidence. But the GT4/Spyder TPMS is definitely a step backwards.
Old 09-30-2021 | 12:34 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

100% agree.....will bring it up in October when I visit the dealer.
I'll be bringing it up this coming Monday, as I'm going back in.. I'm like a dog with a bone with these kind of things (LOL) - ain't letting go.
Old 09-30-2021 | 12:35 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I know we are all frustrating by the "new" TPMS system. Those of us that had 981/991 vehicles never gave TPMS a second thought - worked like a charm. Although I do and did wish that the MFD would display temps as well as pressure.

My guess is that Porsche got a new supplier for TPMS electronics for the GT4/Spyder, and with it came crappy buggy code... just a theory though, I have no evidence. But the GT4/Spyder TPMS is definitely a step backwards.

Temps would be great....the sensor already collect the temps and with a PIWIS you can see them.
BMW shows the temps.
Your guess might be right....they did change the frequency the sensors work at from 981 to 718.
Old 09-30-2021 | 12:36 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I'll be bringing it up this coming Monday, as I'm going back in.. I'm like a dog with a bone with these kind of things (LOL) - ain't letting go.
Let us know what they tell you...I gave up as I don't like leaving the car 3 days for a simple re-learn.
Old 09-30-2021 | 12:48 PM
sobiloff
Racer

I didn't have this problem with my '19 GTS, so this issue is specific to the GT4/Spyder. It may be associated with the "track pressure" feature, which is unique to the GT4/Spyder, or it may be reflective of a change in TPMS suppliers.
Old 09-30-2021 | 01:29 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Found this on NHTSA related to campaign WMD2, which is only an interim solution.... FWIW.

Some excerpts:
  • "To avoid this, as an interim solution until new components are available, the wheel electronics must be taught using the PIWIS Tester."
  • "This workshop campaign will be carried out up to 04/22/2026 and will be closed by the specied date. Please note that warranty claims can only be processed before this date."

Quick Reply: TPMS failure 21 GT4