Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

TPMS failure 21 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021 | 01:29 PM
Loud223
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Assuming that you have the correct sensors, the dealer should have the tool to check the TPMS sensors that you have in the track wheels and be able to determine if they are compatible with the GT4... or are you saying this worked before and now doesn't?
No, these are new track wheels and new sensors. I took the OEM tires and wheels off and put winter wheels and tires on when i first got the car. the winter wheels had 991 sensors in them and didn't get recognized. ( I didn't expect them to be). When the weather warmed up, I put the OEM wheels back on and the car recognized the sensors right away. I then bought some track wheels with the new 718 sensors had tires mounted and put them on, but the car will not recognize them. I will bring them to the dealer to see if they're correct. Thanks for letting me know that the dealer can do this.
Old 04-12-2021 | 02:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Loud223
No, these are new track wheels and new sensors. I took the OEM tires and wheels off and put winter wheels and tires on when i first got the car. the winter wheels had 991 sensors in them and didn't get recognized. ( I didn't expect them to be). When the weather warmed up, I put the OEM wheels back on and the car recognized the sensors right away. I then bought some track wheels with the new 718 sensors had tires mounted and put them on, but the car will not recognize them. I will bring them to the dealer to see if they're correct. Thanks for letting me know that the dealer can do this.
When I assembled the pieces for a second set Tire Rack sent me the wrong sensors (RDE048V21), sure they were 433MHz but not the correct channel for the 718, they were for the 991/981, they dealer checked them with their scanner and told right away they would not work. I ended up researching this problem and determined what sensors you needed for the 718's, if you have an order sheet or documentation that came with your 'new' wheel set you may be able to verify what you have:

The specific HUF (BH Sens) units have a part number of RDE047V21, the programable version UVS4040 (must be supplied as programmed for your vehicle) and in both cases I recommend the matching valve stems in the 43mm length.

HTH

The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
LnC993 (04-12-2021), nofferman (07-09-2024)
Old 04-12-2021 | 04:12 PM
Loud223
Instructor

When I assembled the pieces for a second set Tire Rack sent me the wrong sensors (RDE048V21), sure they were 433MHz but not the correct channel for the 718, they were for the 991/981, they dealer checked them with their scanner and told right away they would not work. I ended up researching this problem and determined what sensors you needed for the 718's, if you have an order sheet or documentation that came with your 'new' wheel set you may be able to verify what you have:

The specific HUF (BH Sens) units have a part number of RDE047V21, the programable version UVS4040 (must be supplied as programmed for your vehicle) and in both cases I recommend the matching valve stems in the 43mm length.

HTH
great info! Thanks Westcoast.
Old 04-12-2021 | 06:48 PM
autoxerGT3RS
Rennlist Member

I just swapped out OE wheels, tires and sensors on the GT4 with a set of 19 inch aftermarket wheels for autox and OE sensors (bought from local P dealer) did not encounter any issues at all as car recognized the new sensors within 20 seconds. Interesting that the local discount tire place who mounted the tires could not confirm with their tool that the sensors were correct.
Old 04-12-2021 | 10:19 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

HTH
Oh FFS. Did not realize the 981 and 718 were different channels. That’s my problem. Idiot.
Old 04-13-2021 | 12:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Oh FFS. Did not realize the 981 and 718 were different channels. That’s my problem. Idiot.
Stop that, it must hurt the head!

Channels/protocol or whatever, the system requires the sensors match the car, at least it is an easy process to swap out the sensors for the correct ones.
Old 04-13-2021 | 02:18 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Stop that, it must hurt the head!

Channels/protocol or whatever, the system requires the sensors match the car, at least it is an easy process to swap out the sensors for the correct ones.
Didn’t even think about it because the wheels are less than a year old. But they were for a four year old car... D’oh!
Old 04-15-2021 | 02:03 PM
markoware
Instructor

I'm glad I found this thread because I've been going crazy trying to get the TPMS reset for my OEM wheels. I had a set of winter wheels with the sensors @Westcoast mentioned that learned fine. I put the OEM wheels back on last week and haven't been able to get it to learn the sensors again trying every trick I've found online. I think it's time to give up and make a service appointment.
Old 04-15-2021 | 02:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markoware
I'm glad I found this thread because I've been going crazy trying to get the TPMS reset for my OEM wheels. I had a set of winter wheels with the sensors @Westcoast mentioned that learned fine. I put the OEM wheels back on last week and haven't been able to get it to learn the sensors again trying every trick I've found online. I think it's time to give up and make a service appointment.
presume you have tried switching between summer/winter *and* that you are initiating the re-learn away from any other TPMS equipped cars?
The following users liked this post:
Unstock (05-31-2022)
Old 04-15-2021 | 02:15 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

I switched back to my summer OEMs and now I have no problems with it. The weird thing with my winter set is that they worked for a couple of months and then intermittently before they stopped working completely.
Old 04-15-2021 | 02:17 PM
markoware
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
presume you have tried switching between summer/winter *and* that you are initiating the re-learn away from any other TPMS equipped cars?
Yes to all of that. Also tried changing the pressures five pounds and also waiting five minutes with it running after resetting in the cluster and driving off. I just set up a service appointment and the manager mentioned he'd seen several of these occurrences. I hate people touching my car so taking it in was the last resort. Maybe they'll give me their Miami blue base 718 loaner and I can tell my wife I traded.
Old 04-15-2021 | 02:22 PM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

i got this message one. it took awhile for it to disappear. i drove about 16 miles (backroads) to my destination with it not resetting. it only disappeared on my drive home (took highway route). i just assumed it corrected itself when i drove the car faster and the tire pressure went up. its been over a week since. i has not come up again.
Old 04-15-2021 | 04:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes to all of that. Also tried changing the pressures five pounds and also waiting five minutes with it running after resetting in the cluster and driving off. I just set up a service appointment and the manager mentioned he'd seen several of these occurrences. I hate people touching my car so taking it in was the last resort. Maybe they'll give me their Miami blue base 718 loaner and I can tell my wife I traded.
The 718 system is a lot slower at learning the new TPMS sensors, whereas the 981 would learn them in a few hundred meters my 718 takes forever, so long that sometimes even I think it is broken!

The learning only happens when the car is moving and traveling over 25 km/hr and I have seen it take 20 minutes or more to learn a replaced set of wheel/tires, I asked the Service Advisor about this and he said yes it is a slow system and described the local route that it normally take to learn them, sure enough it is about 20 minutes out and back.

The other thing I thought I remembered about the 981, the pressure was always there at start up (?), where as a lot of times when I pull the car after sitting overnight and the TPMS values are blank on the 718 until I drive a bit...
Old 04-21-2021 | 01:15 AM
RichSouleRacing
Instructor

Ours is now broken again. Not from track. Now just shows the message. Back to the dealer.
Old 04-21-2021 | 07:22 PM
markoware
Instructor

The 718 system is a lot slower at learning the new TPMS sensors, whereas the 981 would learn them in a few hundred meters my 718 takes forever, so long that sometimes even I think it is broken!

The learning only happens when the car is moving and traveling over 25 km/hr and I have seen it take 20 minutes or more to learn a replaced set of wheel/tires, I asked the Service Advisor about this and he said yes it is a slow system and described the local route that it normally take to learn them, sure enough it is about 20 minutes out and back.

The other thing I thought I remembered about the 981, the pressure was always there at start up (?), where as a lot of times when I pull the car after sitting overnight and the TPMS values are blank on the 718 until I drive a bit...
I'll try a 20+ minute highway drive this weekend. The longest drive I did so far was eight miles with frequent stoplights. I took that drive six times one morning, but never continuously driving for more than the 8 miles.

Quick Reply: TPMS failure 21 GT4