Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lets "Discuss" adjusting ride "Height" on the 2021 GT4 ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 01:47 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Question Lets "Discuss" adjusting ride "Height" on the 2021 GT4 ...

Guys,

I'm watching every video I can on You-tube regarding the 2020 and of course the 2021 GT4.

As of yet I have not seen or read really anything about where anyone has adjusted the Ride-Height on the 2020 or 2021 GT4's.

Here is why I'm doing this new thread ...........
I'm very much considering having my Porsche Dealer adjust the Ride-Height "Higher" since I'm not tracking it ever.
In my case it's a street car not a track car.
So, guys, since what you constantly see in videos as well as reviews is "Always" Caution driving it as it sits so low.
My understanding is the Ride-Height can be not only adjusted lower for track duties but it could also be Raised for Street use.

What are your thoughts about the above but Pro and Con ???

I cannot think of even one reason not to have the height Raised for a Street Car.

I'm thinking having mine Raised 1-Inch.

Up-Date:
I just now found this video on the subject:

Adjusting Ride Height and Adding Spacers to My 718 GT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3RElCbo3UY

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-21-2021 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Addd useful video ............
Old 02-21-2021, 01:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Guys,

I'm watching every video I can on You-tube regarding the 2020 and of course the 2021 GT4.

As of yet I have not seen or read really anything about where anyone has adjusted the Ride-Height on the 2020 or 2021 GT4's.

Here is why I'm doing this new thread ...........
I'm very much considering having my Porsche Dealer adjust the Ride-Height "Higher" since I'm not tracking it ever.
In my case it's a street car not a track car.
So, guys, since what you constantly see in videos as well as reviews is "Always" Caution driving it as it sits so low.
My understanding is the Ride-Height can be not only adjusted lower for track duties but it could also be Raised for Street use.

What are your thoughts about the above but Pro and Con ???

I cannot think of even one reason not to have the height Raised for a Street Car.

I'm thinking having mine Raised 1-Inch.

Terry
One inch (25.4mm) is higher than the GTS 4.0 SPASM (+10mm), PASM (+20mm), and only 5mm lower than STANDARD Cayman Base/S suspension (+30mm), Maybe you should have picked one of the other models instead?

The following users liked this post:
ronbauer (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 02:16 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hf1
One inch (25.4mm) is higher than the GTS 4.0 SPASM (+10mm), PASM (+20mm), and only 5mm lower than STANDARD Cayman Base/S suspension (+30mm),
Maybe you should have picked one of the other models instead?
Well as a layman I haven't a clue as to the proper ride-height guys.
Of course from Common-Sense I would be asking the Service-Manager his recommendations.
I'm simply posting this thread for hopefully useful comments on what the Ride-Height should be adjusted to ???
To provide additional clearance.
Maybe like the GTS which as you noted above has more clearance.

Maybe you should have picked one of the other models instead?
You know to keep this friendly ...........
I'm actually a little bit surprised at the above comment ^^^
Why would you really, honestly think I should look into a different Porsche simple because I'm giving thought into what might-possibly keep mine from Front "Underneath-Damage" by raising it up a little ?
Seems to me what I'm asking and considering makes perfect sense for a Street driven GT4 versus a Track GT4.
Why take a change on doing Thousands of dollars of Damage to the front-underneath if there is a simple solution to Avoid that Damage.

Terry

The following 4 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
Goodwood (02-25-2021), kart driver (02-23-2021), Russv (02-21-2021), StilettoPat (02-28-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 02:22 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

1 inch is not "a little".
dnimi123 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 03:15 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,497 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Why would you really, honestly think I should look into a different Porsche simple because I'm giving thought into what might-possibly keep mine from Front "Underneath-Damage" by raising it up a little ?
Seems to me what I'm asking and considering makes perfect sense for a Street driven GT4 versus a Track GT4.
Why take a change on doing Thousands of dollars of Damage to the front-underneath if there is a simple solution to Avoid that Damage.

Terry
Terry I think the concern would be that you’re selecting the wrong tool for the job? I certainly don’t mean any disrespect and I think it is a legitimate question based on your post.

Part of what makes the GT4 incredible, IMO, is the stance and the purposeful look it has for track use with the performance to match. Jacking it up 25mm to spare the spoiler goes against the spirit of the car IMO, and who knows what that would do to the aerodynamics. I’m not even sure you could come up an inch with that suspension, but hopefully someone who’s adjusted theirs will chime in.

Did you considered the GTS 4.0 at all?
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Jeff Jones (02-21-2021), Tedster (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 03:18 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

I’m afraid that given the tone of this forum, at least from a very vocal minority, you are doing to get more judgement than you are useful feedback or tips. I’m curious to learn what you find out if you actually go this route. I’ve got a Spyder arriving in April/May and depending on how frequently the front scrapes, I may look to raise 10mm or so. I’m able to avoid scraping my TTS on the road but entry into my garage brings a small scrape every time. I’m good at replacing the front lip but if I could get a few mm extra clearance, I could avoid it completely. I’m hopeful the smaller overhang of the 718 compared to a 911 will be enough to solve the problem.

I think it all comes down to whether you will push the car hard enough, track or aggressive street, to feel the handling compromise of raising the car. Nobody else can really answer this for you. I drive on tours with people that are pushing their cars to the limit on the street and with people that are using 50% of what their cars are capable of and the impact would be felt differently by each of them.

For those of is that are “crazy” enough to consider raising these GT cars a few mm for street convenience, I encourage you to have a shop raise it, align it and see for yourself. Then report back please

Old 02-21-2021, 03:22 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Sorry to see you are getting "beat up" on this issue!!!

Must be Covid....

Before you raise the front (and likely upset some balance if you do not also adjust the rear) have you considered nearly all front end damage will be absorbed by the front splitter, which in Porsche terms is a pretty low cost option?

On my old 718CaymanS with PASM and H and R lowering springs (seriously lowered) which was tracked and urban driven, after 2 yr there were some serious scrapes on the underneath of the splitter, but only visible when under the car...

The dealer did not even replace the splitter on resale....

You can buy a few splitters for the cost of an alignment...

Just another view...

Cheers!
Jeff Jones (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 03:22 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

It is also much easier to add a front axle lift to these cars than it is retrofitting on other cars. It would have cost $10k+ for my 911 but can be done for a few thousand on the 718. I know, I know...that buys a lot of replacement front spoilers. I’m just one of those that finds the scraping sound very hard to ignore.
UncleDude (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 03:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I’m afraid that given the tone of this forum, at least from a very vocal minority, you are doing to get more judgement than you are useful feedback or tips.
Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
Sorry to see you are getting "beat up" on this issue!!!

Must be Covid....
Lol, tough crowd with short triggers. Guys, maybe ease up with the fake moral indignation. Suggesting to someone to maybe consider another Porsche model (after they reveal that their current one may be one inch too low) is neither an attack on their person nor an attempt to besmirch their good character. Everybody relax, we'll all live.
tigerhonaker (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 04:24 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

I see the rumored 911 Safari version in his future. 😁
The following 2 users liked this post by ExMB:
dnimi123 (02-24-2021), Tedster (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 04:41 PM
dkgreen
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think (hope) what people are suggesting is that the GT4 makes a lot of compromises for track performance. If you're primarily driving on the street, in addition to the low clearance, there are other things the GT4 gives up that would be very nice to have in a street-only car. Things like memory seats, keyless entry, a more compliant (not just lifted) suspension, a heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, et cetera - these are things that are simply unavailable to spec in a GT4. At the end of the day you should get the car that you want, and the one that will actually get you in the seat driving it the most. If that's the GT4, right on. I just think it's helpful to point out some of the other compromises you're making in terms of street livability, of which the suspension height is just a single piece. I'm not trying to gatekeep or anything here, buy what makes you happy and enjoy it in good health!

Last edited by dkgreen; 02-21-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:01 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

OP, unless you have a known large obstacle you must traverse...perhaps wait until you get an allocation/car then evaluate.

This isn’t something to worry about...no one is reporting problems here.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:07 PM
Merlotsj
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 133 Posts

Of course from Common-Sense I would be asking the Service-Manager his recommendations.
I'm simply posting this thread for hopefully useful comments on what the Ride-Height should be adjusted to ???
To provide additional clearance.
Maybe like the GTS which as you noted above has more clearance..

Terry
Hi Terry, any additional ride height will gain you clearance, 1/4” of ride height is 1/4” of extra clearance. How much extra clearance do you need? Are you finding you lightly drag in a place you drive every day, or do you heavily scrape the splitter in several oft-traveled spots. These are questions the service manager will likely ask to give you a recommdation.

I have a Spyder, and have a light scrape about once week. I am considering adjusting mine up maybe 1/8 to 1/4”. I plan to primarily use my car as a weekend fun car, twisty mountain roads, occasional weekend trips, and maybe a track day once a year or so.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:31 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Raise the car?? I actually had the dealership lower my GT4 by10mm all around prior to delivery. I have yet to scrape the lip and I have an inclined driveway. Unless you live in an area with many "high" speedbumps, you should be good with the stock height. You'll be pushing some pretty ugly wheelgap if you raise the car as much as you suggest. Food for thought.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:02 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

Terry, not had any issues with the GT4 OEM height setup, and the lip is disposable. You can get them at Suncoast. I bought a future replacement just in case; looks doubtful it will be needed.

Quick Reply: Lets "Discuss" adjusting ride "Height" on the 2021 GT4 ...