Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lets "Discuss" adjusting ride "Height" on the 2021 GT4 ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021 | 09:11 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Both axles can be adjusted and it is an easy DIY project once you own the wrenches. On my 981 GT4 I lowered the front and raised the rear to maintain the factory rake after going to a smaller diameter rear tire.
The following users liked this post:
kart driver (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021 | 09:34 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRZ06
The C8 Z06 is my back-up plan if I don't totally fall in love with my upcoming GT4.

I am going from an SS 1LE to the GT4, also my first Porsche and first mid-engine. The SS 1LE hits way above its weight class and with MRC has amazing suspension, but I am now wanting that level of performance in a more upscale environment and with a much lower center of gravity and dual clutch.

I am taking a shot with the GT4 in hopes it gives me all the performance of that car but in a upscale package. If it does not deliver though, the C8 Z06 will be on my radar in 2 years.

I wish they would hurry up and release the details on it soon. the hype around it is INSANE. Another reason to wait for 2 years before taking the plunge. I am hoping the GT4 is a love affair experience and I feel no need to move from it, but it is nice knowing that the C8 Z06 will be around if it doesn't.
The GT4 is also my first Porsche. I was coming from a GT350 which for the money was an awesome car. No regrets with the GT4. The Z06 will be an incredible car if it really comes with a NA flat plane V8... will see once more info is available... OK back to thread topic sorry for derailing a bit!
Old 02-23-2021 | 12:07 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kart driver
Terry,

Thanks for starting this thread.
I was about to do it on my own as I have the same issue. Some people just don’t get that we are all living in different places and drive different roads.
I have nose lift on my GT3 and have been using it many times every day I drive. If there was no nose lift on my GT3 I would have been simply unable to reach many places. I changed the front lip couple of times already which is absolutely no issue for me as it costs small money but reaching the place where I need to go is of vital importance for me.

The fact that 718 GT4 has no nose lift seems like a complete deal breaker for me to buy the GT4 no matter that I like absolutely everything about 718 GT4.
The aftermarket solution of nose lift like Design By Jacob is partially a solution but it creates another issue when visiting Porsche dealer.
Porsche dealers in my area do not treat well the fact that you have any aftermarket part installed.

A question to all: Is the height of the GT4 adjustable for front axle only or rear axle can also be adjusted?
kart driver,

Keep in mind All my comments/suggestions are based on me in the USA.

Someone has already answered you on the question if both ends of the 2021 GT4 can be adjusted.
The answer is Yes buddy and it's really a simply thing to do.
Watch the video below as you will see exactly how it's done.

Adjusting Ride Height and Adding Spacers to My 718 GT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3RElCbo3UY

•Oct 17, 2020

Oh, before I forget to comment on Porsche Dealers not liking after-market changes.
I worked for new car dealers for plus 16-years before retiring in 2008.
I can say for a Fact if you want to get in a Knock-Down, Never-ever-Ending, No-Win Discussion ???
Alter the GT4 and let something happen to it and get ready for what then takes place.
Full-Disclosure, according to the Authorized Porsche Dealership a Warranty Claim on a Modified car can turn instantly into a Nightmare.
And for those that are going to get into the Legalities of what the Law States ...........
Save it guys I'm well aware of all those arguments/discussions.
Please start your own Dedicated Thread if you wish to Debate the above, please.

I'm going to take the Super-Safe route and have my Porsche Dealership's service department to raise both ends of mine "Before" I take Delivery.
They can then also check Camber/Alignment etc. and it all will be noted in my Service History that they did All-the-Work.

I haven't stopped researching raising the GT4 up a little.
As I noted above from everything I have now seen 1/4" to 1/2" is going to be the ideal change.
And that little bit will add to my peace of mind driving it on all the streets/roads/interstates here and everywhere else I go.

Lastly, kart driver, I'm one of the guy's that tells it like it is I don't choose to talk through my butt.
My advise to you if you wish to play it Safe have your Porsche Dealership's "Service Department" do the work and if for any reason in the fuure a Warranty Claim might arise ???
Your butt is 100% Totally Protected because you kept your hands off the GT4 !!!

Terry

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Both axles can be adjusted and it is an easy DIY project once you own the wrenches. On my 981 GT4 I lowered the front and raised the rear to maintain the factory rake after going to a smaller diameter rear tire.
Bill,

As you noted it's very straight forward.

Originally Posted by kart125
The GT4 is also my first Porsche. I was coming from a GT350 which for the money was an awesome car. No regrets with the GT4. The Z06 will be an incredible car if it really comes with a NA flat plane V8... will see once more info is available... OK back to thread topic sorry for derailing a bit!
kart125,

I have owned a lot of Corvettes over the years.
I liked them a lot.
I also looked into ordering the C8 but Cathy said to me you've been down that road so many times already Terry.
Her words, get some class Terry and get the GT4.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-23-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2021 | 02:57 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Terry,

I have a 981 GT4 and that's coming from a 981 CGTS. My girlfriend had a base 718 with standard suspension and that's being replaced by a Cayman T which rides 20mm lower.

Having read through this thread I don't feel any sense of being attacked. I think the question "is the GT4 the right car" to be a valid question. The GT4 has a number of things that make it less practical, ride height being one of them. A GTS is a more comfortable car. It's quieter inside, has real door handles. More compliant suspension. And is still incredible in the mountains. If you ordered the LWBs, then all the more sacrifice on entry/egress.

​​​​That said, I'm always about to each their own. No judgement here. Adjusting ride height isn't that challenging and a quarter of an inch should be easily doable.

As others have said, a front axle lift install is possible. The lip spoiler takes most of the scrubbing and it's the one thing Porsche makes accessible and not priced like Porsche.

Personally find the stock GT4 ride height manageable in Georgia. Though driving the 718 base I definitely felt greater confidence on some steep driveways...
The following 2 users liked this post by iammacey:
tigerhonaker (02-24-2021), UncleDude (02-23-2021)
Old 02-24-2021 | 03:14 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

The lip spoiler is plastic and $300. I gave up caring. It’s taken a serious beating, but you can barely see that unless you look under the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
dnimi123 (02-24-2021), LZRD GRN (02-24-2021), phefner (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021 | 12:53 PM
bubbledragon
Advanced

I had absolutely no problem going anywhere with my previous 718 base on standard ride height, and was also very concerned by the 30mm lowered ride when I ordered the Spyder, both for road comfort & practicality, & had to have a lot of reassurance from the salesman before I place deposit.

Had it 1500 miles now, I do avoid going to certain places with it, have scraped the front lip undersurface at least half a dozen times at spots where I misjudged, though sonically dramatic cosmetically can't see the scratches from standing in front of the car to be honest. My colleague has the 2.5 GTS @20mm, he drives to similar places where I go, & he tells me height hasn't been much of an issue. Based on that I guess raising 10 to 15 mm from 30mm is all you need for your purpose?

Ride quality wise for me stock is perfectly fine for daily use. I would be curious also as to how raising the height would affect the handling & conpliance in this particular car.

Perhaps give your car some miles before you decide if raising the height is necessary for you ? But please do share the outcome should you decide to do so.

Old 02-24-2021 | 02:12 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bubbledragon
I had absolutely no problem going anywhere with my previous 718 base on standard ride height, and was also very concerned by the 30mm lowered ride when I ordered the Spyder, both for road comfort & practicality, & had to have a lot of reassurance from the salesman before I place deposit.

Had it 1500 miles now, I do avoid going to certain places with it, have scraped the front lip undersurface at least half a dozen times at spots where I misjudged, though sonically dramatic cosmetically can't see the scratches from standing in front of the car to be honest. My colleague has the 2.5 GTS @20mm, he drives to similar places where I go, & he tells me height hasn't been much of an issue. Based on that I guess raising 10 to 15 mm from 30mm is all you need for your purpose?

Ride quality wise for me stock is perfectly fine for daily use. I would be curious also as to how raising the height would affect the handling & conpliance in this particular car.

Perhaps give your car some miles before you decide if raising the height is necessary for you ? But please do share the outcome should you decide to do so.
bubbledragon,

I'm going to comment on the below but I did read everything you said.

Perhaps give your car some miles before you decide if raising the height is necessary for you ?
But please do share the outcome should you decide to do so.
In my case I'm going to have the Ride-Height adjusted "Before" I take Delivery.
Reason, don't wish to have to make an appointment later and go through all that as it's a pain IMO.
If I have them "Dealership's Service-Department" do it on the front-end then that's what will Always-always be the norm for me from the very 1st day of taking delivery.
Personally, and I speak only for myself.
I'd much prefer the added peace-of-mind even though in my case I am Super Careful with my driving.
I've had much more than my fair share of Low sitting performance cars over the years.

I'll post what I think on my Dedicated Thread found in my signature once I finally get the GT4 which might take place in June/July time frame.
That's ^^^ assuming Porsche of Nashville receives a GT4 allocation in March.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-24-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2021 | 02:33 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
bubbledragon,

I'm going to comment on the below but I did read everything you said.

In my case I'm going to have the Ride-Height adjusted "Before" I take Delivery.
Reason, don't wish to have to make an appointment later and go through all that as it's a pain IMO.
If I have them "Dealership's Service-Department" do it on the front-end then that's what will Always-always be the norm for me from the very 1st day of taking delivery.
Personally, and I speak only for myself.
I'd much prefer the added peace-of-mind even though in my case I am Super Careful with my driving.
I've had much more than my fair share of Low sitting performance cars over the years.

I'll post what I think on my Dedicated Thread found in my signature once I finally get the GT4 which might take place in June/July time frame.
That's ^^^ assuming Porsche of Nashville receives a GT4 allocation in March.

Terry
Terry:

Far be it for me to say, but if your dealer cannot confirm an allocation right now, I would humbly suggest you search out others across the US!

Allocations are fluid, and it will be no harm in trying.....

I am (fortunately and unfortunately) a 14 P car owner, dealers can leave you "on the hook" for ages and drop you in a second.....

This car is too good to miss (have not seen mine yet)!

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2021 | 03:00 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
Terry:

Far be it for me to say, but if your dealer cannot confirm an allocation right now, I would humbly suggest you search out others across the US!

Allocations are fluid, and it will be no harm in trying.....

I am (fortunately and unfortunately) a 14 P car owner, dealers can leave you "on the hook" for ages and drop you in a second.....

This car is too good to miss (have not seen mine yet)!

Cheers!
LZRD GRN,

I see and read you Loud & Clear buddy.
In my case I am buddies with the G/M where I purchased the Audi RS-3 and Traded it back in on the 2021 GT4 which both Dealerships fall under the Huge Umbrella of the "Sonic Group".
I actually worked with the G/M at the "Audi of Nashville" dealership years ago.
Both the "Audi of Nashville" & "Porsche of Nashville" dealerships sit side by side.
The G/M at Porsche of Nashville actually was trained by my buddy at Audi of Nashville.
So, I don't honestly think I have anything to really be concerned about in regards to the GT4 allocation.
As soon as Cody the G/M receives an allocation for the GT4 it's automatically mine.

But, for what it's worth if I wasn't working with known acquaintances I would be on "Needles & Pins".

Appreciate your consideration on this,
Terry
USA

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-24-2021 at 03:02 PM.
LZRD GRN (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021 | 04:49 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OP, please don’t go safari on your car until you know you need to; stance is perfect!

Lots of clearance.
Old 02-24-2021 | 05:27 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
The lip spoiler is plastic and $300. I gave up caring. It’s taken a serious beating, but you can barely see that unless you look under the car.
Ditto! I am not so slowly whittling away at my front and side rubber splitters. When they form the shape of Trident or some other razor sharp farm implement I will but another one! Its almost impossible to see any damage as its all under the front lip. The car otherwise does not scrape anywhere underneath. And if it did, those parts are cheap to replace as well. I would not raise the height of the car, but if you must... the rale needs to stay consistent back to front...
Old 02-25-2021 | 10:48 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
OP, please don’t go safari on your car until you know you need to; stance is perfect!

Lots of clearance.
Shaggy,

You Sir are a Riot and that's not some cute comment at all I mean it in a friendly way.

Now you and I both know there is No-Way in hell that anyone would ever in a million years know if I have it raised a 1/4" or so.
IMO that certainly includes all GT4 owners ...........

I have No Intention of making mine an SUV or a 4-Wheeler.

It will be raised on both ends exactly the same amount so the Stock Angle will remain as it comes from Porsche.

Of course the 1st most important thing is that Porsche maybe in March will send Porsche Dealers in the USA some additional GT4 Allocations.

Terry
Old 02-26-2021 | 11:12 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
...It will be raised on both ends exactly the same amount so the Stock Angle will remain as it comes from Porsche...

AP says the setup, "is what we feel works best", but as far as changing heights, "it's part of the fun":

Old 02-26-2021 | 11:17 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iammacey
... I think the question "is the GT4 the right car" to be a valid question. The GT4 has a number of things that make it less practical, ride height being one of them. A GTS is a more comfortable car. It's quieter inside, has real door handles. More compliant suspension...
FWIW, there's fixes for making GT4 more "comfortable"...I daily mine, but wanted to sell it after the first two days because suspension was too harsh at low speeds. DSC Controller fixed all that. Out of the box with the DSC unit, suspension was softer than Caymans with X73 kit, and I felt that the GT4 could use stiffer springs "for the street". I've made mine firmer, and still thinking about adding the stiffer springs.
Old 02-28-2021 | 05:57 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
FWIW, there's fixes for making GT4 more "comfortable"...I daily mine, but wanted to sell it after the first two days because suspension was too harsh at low speeds. DSC Controller fixed all that. Out of the box with the DSC unit, suspension was softer than Caymans with X73 kit, and I felt that the GT4 could use stiffer springs "for the street". I've made mine firmer, and still thinking about adding the stiffer springs.
Have not received my DSC unit yet....

By "out of the box" did you receive the DSC with a suspension map installed which you just plugged in?

It is a new product for me...

Cheers!
Jeffrb (03-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Lets "Discuss" adjusting ride "Height" on the 2021 GT4 ...