Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Procedure for GT4 allocation/deposit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 01:02 PM
Phillip Nguyen
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Procedure for GT4 allocation/deposit?

I’m dead set on getting a GT4 with a manual transmission. Was hoping the RS reveal would say if it would have a manual option or not (most likely not) but since the announcement didn’t come my plan is too... find a GT4 allocation with a dealership and submit deposits etc for a 2021 model.

my question is if the GT4 RS DOES come with a manual. Will I be able to get my deposit back on the GT4? Even if the car is being built? Or am I forced to buy it at that point? (Penalties?)

I know the RS coming with a manual is a mega long shot but was hoping since the initial runs of GT4s had it that they would stick with it having the option.

thanks for any advice
Old 02-17-2021, 01:24 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

Whether a deposit is refundable or not depends on your state and possibly local law and/or, if your dealer makes you sign an agreement or contract, what that document says.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:37 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

I don’t think GT4 RS will come with manual, but I would place a deposit for one just in case. And if you think getting a allocation for GT4 are hard, getting an allocation for GT4 RS will be even more challenging.

Regarding to getting deposit back, it all depends where you live. Here in CA, we can get the deposit back. And it’s pretty common here that buyers place multiple deposits at multiple dealer’s waiting lists for these GT cars.

The following users liked this post:
josephr25 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:43 PM
Phillip Nguyen
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LnC993
I don’t think GT4 RS will come with manual, but I would place a deposit for one just in case. And if you think getting a allocation for GT4 are hard, getting an allocation for GT4 RS will be even more challenging.

Regarding to getting deposit back, it all depends where you live. Here in CA, we can get the deposit back. And it’s pretty common here that buyers place multiple deposits at multiple dealer’s waiting lists for these GT cars.
perfect!! I’m in CA will start calling around =) thanks!
Old 02-17-2021, 02:04 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,880 Likes on 2,191 Posts

OP, you’re showing up way late to the 718 GT4/Spyder production. While not Porsche numbered cars, they’re not walk in and order cars either.

Several RL’rs have been looking for an allocation for awhile.

If you want a build slot better work hard or find a broker. There is an allocation thread you should review.

Short of paying $30-50K over, you’re chance of getting a new GT4RS is less than zero.
The following 5 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
CaptainJack (02-08-2023), Eurotrio (11-04-2021), JohnC4S (02-17-2021), Spike Spiegel (02-17-2021), tigerhonaker (02-18-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 02:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip Nguyen
reach out the James Shin at Stevens Creek Porsche, he should be able to help you! jshin@stevenscreekporsche.com
Old 02-17-2021, 02:17 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,071 Likes on 432 Posts

As others have stated here:

- It appears that the chance the GT4 RS available in manual is very slim
- If you aren't already aware that you're getting a GT4 RS (in line), the chances you will get one without substantial ADM is very slim
- Getting an allocation for a custom build GT4 right now for 2021 may be challenging as well

The good news for you is that I think most of the GT4s on dealer lots are manual transmission, and folks have been able to buy them at MSRP or with some discount. So if you are open to buying an already built car, that can provide 90%+ of the options/color choice you would select anyway, I think you have a good chance of finding a nice build out there for you.
The following 3 users liked this post by KelvinC:
confused66 (02-11-2023), josephr25 (02-18-2021), Spike Spiegel (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 02:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC

- If you aren't already aware that you're getting a GT4 RS (in line), the chances you will get one without substantial ADM is very slim
- Getting an allocation for a custom build GT4 right now for 2021 may be challenging as well

The good news for you is that I think most of the GT4s on dealer lots are manual transmission, and folks have been able to buy them at MSRP or with some discount. So if you are open to buying an already built car, that can provide 90%+ of the options/color choice you would select anyway, I think you have a good chance of finding a nice build out there for you.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC

Yup, you hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:02 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

Unfortunately to say, if you're inquiring about getting a GT4 RS, you're already too late as most everybody that is serious about getting one is more then likely on more than one waiting list. You could certainly bully your way onto an allocation when they become available but you should expect a huge ADM if you do this. What I might suggest is since you're already too late to be at the top of the GT4 RS waiting list, you might as well just wait it out at this point to let the hype die down. Once it does, you might be able to pick one up with a not so crazy ADM or maybe even at MRSP. I thought the 991.2 GT3 started out with huge ADM but then my SA said they ended going for MSRP at some point. I might be mistaken on this so take this with a grain of salt.

As for the GT4 RS production, AP has said over and over that they will build as many as the market demands so it's not a numbers limited production. It's just a low production because it's a higher priced item and the higher priced something is, the less buyers there are but technically you won't be purchasing an item that's limited; it'll be in high demand with the low production numbers relative to the rest of the variants.

I think the GT4 RS will have zero chance of coming with a manual so if you're dead set on manual, a GT4 will more than likely be your only option. Right now, there are no allocations to be had. Nobody knows why this is so your guess is as good as everybody else's but people are hoping that PAG releases allocation soon. I think many people thought there would be no 2022 GT4/Spyder and only 2022 GT4 RS but it seems that maybe there could be a small window for 2022 GT4/Spyder.

It seems that the 'VID has messed up PAG's timeline for the car and the chip shortage is probably a factor too. I guess if you miss out on the 982 GT4/RS/Spyder, you can always wait and hope for the 982.2 GT4/RS/Spyder.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 02-17-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:24 PM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

I’m dead set on getting a GT4 with a manual transmission. Was hoping the RS reveal would say if it would have a manual option or not (most likely not) but since the announcement didn’t come my plan is too... find a GT4 allocation with a dealership and submit deposits etc for a 2021 model.

my question is if the GT4 RS DOES come with a manual. Will I be able to get my deposit back on the GT4? Even if the car is being built? Or am I forced to buy it at that point? (Penalties?)

I know the RS coming with a manual is a mega long shot but was hoping since the initial runs of GT4s had it that they would stick with it having the option.

thanks for any advice
What color/spec are you looking for?
Old 02-17-2021, 04:00 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
OP, you’re showing up way late to the 718 GT4/Spyder production. While not Porsche numbered cars, they’re not walk in and order cars either.

Several RL’rs have been looking for an allocation for awhile.

If you want a build slot better work hard or find a broker. There is an allocation thread you should review.

Short of paying $30-50K over, you’re chance of getting a new GT4RS is less than zero.
I don't buy into this at all.

I am #3 on the waiting list at a high volume dealer in So. Cal and I spoke with my SA yesterday. The new batch of allocations should be released in the next few weeks. I have had multiple Sales Managers from multiple dealerships tell me this.

The 2021 model year has only had 1 allocation window so far. More are coming very soon, then there will be another break, and then a 3rd round to finish out the year. This is the normal cycle for the 718 GT cars and like I said above, has been confirmed by multiple dealers.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:29 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I might be the only person in CA history to get screwed over a "non-refundable" deposit on a Porsche, but it did happen. Fourteen years ago I ordered a 997.1 Carrera S through Michael Porsche in Fresno (had purchased two cars from them before) and two months before the car arrived, decided to cancel and found out that my sales manager contact was no longer employed there. The new *** clown that had replaced him told me "absolutely no way your deposit is refundable". After weeks of trying to go up the chain of command and researching the cost to retain counsel, I decided the cost of trying to recoup the deposit was going to be far greater than the original cost.

Definitely use someone recommended by a member such as Larry, and if possible get something in writing.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:32 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,880 Likes on 2,191 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I don't buy into this at all.

I am #3 on the waiting list at a high volume dealer in So. Cal and I spoke with my SA yesterday. The new batch of allocations should be released in the next few weeks. I have had multiple Sales Managers from multiple dealerships tell me this.

The 2021 model year has only had 1 allocation window so far. More are coming very soon, then there will be another break, and then a 3rd round to finish out the year. This is the normal cycle for the 718 GT cars and like I said above, has been confirmed by multiple dealers.
Lol, well when you progress from #3 "on a list" to an allocation with a commission number then report back. Few others on here reporting same situation

We can all speculate on when/if more allocations will be forthcoming and how long the GT4/Spyder will be produced. Personally, believe that there is more in the bank yet to be built -- how many more and how long who knows.

With respect to 2021 allocations, there has been more than one as you indicate above. I was working my 2021 last summer, it rolled out of production on 16 Sept. There are confirmed commission number builds with deliveries in July in the PTS database. Dealers report allocations generally batch quarterly with some trickling in at other times. So there have already been a few cycles.

Sure it's possible/probable that a few more allocations hit for mid summer -- but also remember plant closes in August for holiday, MY changeover.

Good luck in your hunt.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:43 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 57 Posts

CarGurus currently shows 51 new GT4s nationwide, in case you don't want to play the allocation/ADM game with Porsche dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by JD911:
Spike Spiegel (02-17-2021), Surge74 (02-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Procedure for GT4 allocation/deposit?