Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Thoughts when signing documents at the dealership.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021 | 09:38 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Wheel tire coverage is a profit center for stealerships. The exclusion, versus your expectations, are very rarely, if met. Read the fine print. Why do you think its being offered?
The following users liked this post:
westcoastj (02-13-2021)
Old 02-11-2021 | 11:01 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

There are two types of tire/wheel coverage. One is cosmetic and covers wheel rash and dings to the body and is called Ding Shield Ultimate. I paid $1759 for 5 years. Then there is the actual wheel and tire coverage which covers dents, blow outs, and actual damage to the wheels/tires which was $1921 for 5 years. Considering one wheel is $4K I think this is a good deal. The roads around me are complete crap and I've dented wheels before...

Last edited by HydroLogic; 02-11-2021 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2021 | 11:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HydroLogic
There are two types of tire/wheel coverage. One is cosmetic and covers wheel rash and dings to the body and is called Ding Shield Ultimate. I paid $1759 for 5 years. Then there is the actual wheel and tire coverage which covers dents, blow outs, and actual damage to the wheels/tires which was $1921 for 5 years. Considering one wheel is $4K I think this is a good deal. The roads around me are complete crap and I've dented wheels before...
Thats what your dealer called it. But it doesn't mean every dealer in the country offers the same, with the same name, with the same price. It all depends how much profit they can make.
Old 02-11-2021 | 11:34 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Thats what your dealer called it. But it doesn't mean every dealer in the country offers the same, with the same name, with the same price. It all depends how much profit they can make.
yeah absolutely. These warranties are not consistent in any way. I'm just relaying my experience as another data point
Old 02-11-2021 | 11:46 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HydroLogic
One wheel IS NOT $4000. They are closer to $1100 and can be had for less if you have the right contacts. Regardless it doesn’t sound like a bad deal, especially if the way your car is used will increase the risk of these damages. Honestly they aren’t that any more expensive than most higher end OEM wheels these days.

Personally, in 40+ years and well over 1M miles I’ve had exactly 7 damaged wheels and 5 flat tires. 4 of the wheels were on one car that hit a screwed up expansion joint in a construction zone so the state ended up buying those 4 replacements.

Lately my sports cars have become garage queens and I’ve always had a 2nd set of wheels and tires, for winter when I was younger and lived up north and for the track for the last 20 years down here in Florida so none of these insurance programs make financial sense for me, never have. YMMV
Zeus993 (02-13-2021)
Old 02-12-2021 | 07:36 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

best thing is ask your SA to fedex the paper work to you couple of days in advance , so you can look it over at your own pace
the paper work will be clear on what is the extra stuff that the dealer wants to sell
sign the needed stuff and cross the stuff you don't need
bring it with you, give them paper work after inspecting the car
AlexCeres (02-13-2021)
Old 02-12-2021 | 09:15 PM
No Name
Advanced

How does signing the paper work when its going to be a PECLA delivery? Dealship mentions I need to sign the paperwork before PECLA. True?
Old 02-12-2021 | 09:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No Name
How does signing the paper work when its going to be a PECLA delivery? Dealship mentions I need to sign the paperwork before PECLA. True?
true you need to complete the purchase with your dealership before PEC will release the car to you.
Old 02-13-2021 | 01:44 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitt911
best thing is ask your SA to fedex the paper work to you couple of days in advance , so you can look it over at your own pace
the paper work will be clear on what is the extra stuff that the dealer wants to sell
this. Did everything online with some scanned copies and wire transfers before showing up. The only thing I had to sign on day of was the trade in I drove down. They had the car prepped, swapped the tires out, and all the sundries ready to go. Ironically I overpaid them so on day of they also refunded me the deposit I had accidentally included in the final wire.
Old 02-13-2021 | 04:36 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitt911
BINGO! I've bought several cars from out-of-state dealers and always had the documents FedEx'ed over to me. All dealers do add a minor documentation fee and I wasn't worth the trouble trying to talk them out of it.
Old 02-13-2021 | 07:20 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mjw930
One wheel IS NOT $4000. They are closer to $1100 and can be had for less if you have the right contacts. Regardless it doesn’t sound like a bad deal, especially if the way your car is used will increase the risk of these damages. Honestly they aren’t that any more expensive than most higher end OEM wheels these days.

Personally, in 40+ years and well over 1M miles I’ve had exactly 7 damaged wheels and 5 flat tires. 4 of the wheels were on one car that hit a screwed up expansion joint in a construction zone so the state ended up buying those 4 replacements.

Lately my sports cars have become garage queens and I’ve always had a 2nd set of wheels and tires, for winter when I was younger and lived up north and for the track for the last 20 years down here in Florida so none of these insurance programs make financial sense for me, never have. YMMV
In my experience there are repair facilities that can bring almost any damaged wheel back to factory specs for around $300. There is no reason to spend this kind of money on a wheel and tire warranty when you can repair it in about three days for the cost of a good bottle of wine.
TYPE911 (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021 | 10:02 PM
rp2000r
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 ... maybe with the exception of the Porsche wheel&tire coverage
Will the Porsche wheel & tire protection cover aftermarket wheels/tires in OEM sizes?

On my commuter Honda the coverage would cover both as long as within OEM size.

Old 02-13-2021 | 11:38 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rp2000r
Will the Porsche wheel & tire protection cover aftermarket wheels/tires in OEM sizes?

On my commuter Honda the coverage would cover both as long as within OEM size.
good question. I somehow doubt it

Quick Reply: Thoughts when signing documents at the dealership.