Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

trust / ppf / what you going to do

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021 | 06:17 PM
space man
Instructor

Default trust / ppf / what you going to do

I have read 100 of opinions on paint protection. i am planning on keeping my naturally aspirated bad boy for many years. So i agree with those who drive there cars it really makes no financial sense. I am of the thought if you drive your cars you are going to get those small dings pings and scratches. But i am going to finally learn to track a car. The dealer offers in house ppf literally applied in the new car delivery spot in the show room. Interesting? The dealer recommends full front, rockers, mirrors and A pillars cost 3200 usa dollars. I asked to speak to the installer they were not keen on that idea. My SA told me i should feel confident that all work done thru the dealership Porsche of West Palm Beach comes with there 100% customer satisfaction. I believe them they have been straight up so far but really they do it basically in the show room?!

I found a independent shop ( CLEAR SHIELD PROTECTION ) whos owner does all the PPF work himself. He has been in business 15 plus years. I went to see him, and his shop is solid and he is basically the same price. He also drives a RY 911 GT-3. it was full wrapped and looked good but he removed the bumpers took out the lights which i would be horrified in anyone attempting doing that to my brand new car. He said he would want the car for three working days to make sure his work was as good as possible and that the film had set properly. He also said the dealership should not touch the exterior of the car upon delivery to me and i should get him the car asap.

So i have read all the good bad do it don't do it comments. I am planning on doing what i think is the best solution knowing this car will be tracked 6-12 times a year. But thought i would throw my thoughts out there for comment as my car is do in soon. Dealership with there guarantee or a independent one person shop probably a better job but what if?? Finally about taking delivery what is a reasonable ask from the dealer are they required to wash and take off all the protective plastic in the new car delivery process? Thanks for listening
Old 01-09-2021 | 06:42 PM
jwalton
Pro

Do yourself a favor and have the car paint corrected before ppf install. It will be well worth the effort. From the factory the paint has minor imperfections . Those will show under the ppf and of course it cannot be fixed without removing and then replacing the ppf. I would also consider a ceramic coat on top of the ppf. Much easier to keep clean after application. Especially track smear. I have done this on several of my cars over the years.ppf and coating have really gotten so much better over the last five plus years . Personally I would have it done by an independent.
Originally Posted by space man
I have read 100 of opinions on paint protection. i am planning on keeping my naturally aspirated bad boy for many years. So i agree with those who drive there cars it really makes no financial sense. I am of the thought if you drive your cars you are going to get those small dings pings and scratches. But i am going to finally learn to track a car. The dealer offers in house ppf literally applied in the new car delivery spot in the show room. Interesting? The dealer recommends full front, rockers, mirrors and A pillars cost 3200 usa dollars. I asked to speak to the installer they were not keen on that idea. My SA told me i should feel confident that all work done thru the dealership Porsche of West Palm Beach comes with there 100% customer satisfaction. I believe them they have been straight up so far but really they do it basically in the show room?!

I found a independent shop ( CLEAR SHIELD PROTECTION ) whos owner does all the PPF work himself. He has been in business 15 plus years. I went to see him, and his shop is solid and he is basically the same price. He also drives a RY 911 GT-3. it was full wrapped and looked good but he removed the bumpers took out the lights which i would be horrified in anyone attempting doing that to my brand new car. He said he would want the car for three working days to make sure his work was as good as possible and that the film had set properly. He also said the dealership should not touch the exterior of the car upon delivery to me and i should get him the car asap.

So i have read all the good bad do it don't do it comments. I am planning on doing what i think is the best solution knowing this car will be tracked 6-12 times a year. But thought i would throw my thoughts out there for comment as my car is do in soon. Dealership with there guarantee or a independent one person shop probably a better job but what if?? Finally about taking delivery what is a reasonable ask from the dealer are they required to wash and take off all the protective plastic in the new car delivery process? Thanks for listening
The following 2 users liked this post by jwalton:
Alan_S (01-14-2021), n4v4nod (01-10-2021)
Old 01-09-2021 | 06:47 PM
Frank Torres
Instructor

I paint correct, PPF, and ceramic coat all my cars. I’ve been able to squeeze just a little more out of people when I sell the vehicle because the paint is basically in new conditions. It also makes cleaning so much easier and the car will general keep a nice shine. I’d get it done privately.
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-09-2021 | 06:59 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

I skipped PPF. I have GT Silver GT4 and after much research and debate with myself I decided against it. I wont track the car, I drive 5,000 miles per year and keep it in a garage. I will do canyon runs and if there are chips or scratches or door dings... Ill live with it as Im not that 'fussy' about cars (and dont care about the next guy as Ill have this for 5 years plus) and Ill hit something anyway that even PPF cant protect like a fender rub, door ding at whole foods, back into a wall, or someone will hit me when parallel parked, etc... so "F" it - its a car! If it gets really bad Ill paint certain parts and yeah yeah yeah to those who say that will depreciate the value of the car - I say I dont care! Those are my final thoughts on PPF. If you want it and it makes you happy, do it!
The following 6 users liked this post by dnimi123:
c1pher (01-13-2021), HelpMeHelpU (01-14-2021), JustChris (01-14-2021), mjw930 (01-09-2021), phefner (01-09-2021), theEnd (01-11-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-09-2021 | 07:02 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

I have had only outstanding service from this dealer, but only a couple of times since I am non resident.

Had some new tires put on my 911GTS and after leaving got a follow up call from Buzz Braman since they recognized my car was from out of state, and wanted to make sure I was happy...

Having owned 14 P cars over many years, I have never had a customer care call from a dealer principal!

Left me highly impressed!

But I wonder why you cannot speak with the installer???
Old 01-09-2021 | 07:02 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank Torres
I paint correct, PPF, and ceramic coat all my cars. I’ve been able to squeeze just a little more out of people when I sell the vehicle because the paint is basically in new conditions. It also makes cleaning so much easier and the car will general keep a nice shine. I’d get it done privately.
Do you squeeze them with your obviously over tight sphincter? Just kidding... it was there so I had to....
aurieg92 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-09-2021 | 09:21 PM
MAHack
Instructor

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN

Many dealers who offer the service sub contract the work to a local installer who comes by for on-site service. If you got to speak with the installer, you would learn that they charge less at their shop and the dealership gets to mark it up.

Mark
The following 4 users liked this post by MAHack:
CaymanCarver (01-11-2021), n4v4nod (01-10-2021), PGTGULF (01-10-2021), The Pinkoboe (02-13-2021)
Old 01-10-2021 | 02:49 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Take it to the independent installer. Any reliable installer will offer some warranty as will the producer of the film.

Removing lights and parts is fairly simple and does end up looking far better than seeing the edges of the film.

Asking the dealer to not remove the shipping wrap and not to wash or touch the paint is no big deal. Tell them your detailer requested it. Might make the initial paint correction easier.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr.Bill:
NHmacan (01-16-2021), PGTGULF (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021 | 03:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I’m a no PPF guy, unless the car is going to be used a lot on the track. And I wouldn’t let the dealer touch the car with a ten foot pole.
Old 01-10-2021 | 03:36 PM
rjag2034
Racer

For what your dealer is quoting just for the PPF I'm paying for full front plus rockers of Xpel Ultimate Plus Self Healing PPF as well as paint correction and 2 coat ceramic Gtechniq Crystal Serum and top coated with Gtechniq EXO ultra durable Hydrophobic coating

I'd use the Independent

Last edited by rjag2034; 01-10-2021 at 03:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rjag2034:
aurieg92 (01-19-2021), CaymanCarver (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021 | 04:24 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
I have had only outstanding service from this dealer, but only a couple of times since I am non resident.

Had some new tires put on my 911GTS and after leaving got a follow up call from Buzz Braman since they recognized my car was from out of state, and wanted to make sure I was happy...

Having owned 14 P cars over many years, I have never had a customer care call from a dealer principal!

Left me highly impressed!

Hello from the USA .............

These comments are coming from a 75 year old male that worked for new car dealerships in a variety of positions for approximately 16 years or so.
Including management level ..............
I cannot state for a fact that the Porsche dealer your dealing with doesn't do the actual PPF but ............
I Do-Not know of any New Car Dealership that I've worked for or done business with since the Mid 60's that has an employee that did or does PPF installs.
Ceramic Coating as well as PPF is all done from "Outside-Shops" !!!
That's why your dealer or salesman doesn't want you to talk or converse with the actual installer face to face.

If it was me unless that Porsche Dealer can introduce you one of their Employees that is actually going to being doing the "Hands-on-Work".
Simply pass and let the outside Shop do it.

Read below Carefully buddy:
Lastly, be Very-very careful of not letting the Porsche Dealer do the Full-Blown PDI (Pre-Delivery-Inspection).
If you don't let them do that then you are going to be Held-Responsible for any Flaw/Damage to the paint.
I'm stating the above to you as a Fact and if your Smart you'll take what I'm saying as it's meant, A-Fact not an Opinion.

Good-Luck,
Terry

Jeff Jones (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021 | 06:22 PM
RichSouleRacing
Instructor

Terry is probably correct, but I'd rather have my detailer start from 'as clean as possible' rather than have a dealership employee almost definitely make it harder for the detailer to get the paint to as close to perfect as possible.

The dealership has no incentive to have their employees spend a few days PDI'ing a car. They will do 'a good enough job', but will never be able to do what a professional can.

This was how I dropped the car off at the detailer.

Every dealer can do this if you want them to.

Last edited by RichSouleRacing; 01-10-2021 at 06:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichSouleRacing:
BudgetPlan1 (01-11-2021), HooosierDaddy (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021 | 08:29 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Dealer won’t touch it. Just picked up our Macan, and our detailer goes to the dealer and uses their bay for PPF, paint correction, etc. Same price whether we go direct, or through dealer (in this particular case - not all independents operate that way).

This detailer has done several cars for us and is top notch. He also does Clearplex, paint correction, ceramic coating.

I’d probably go without PPF but hubby is unhappy looking at chips so we’ll do the plastic. Will definitely do clearplex or windshield protection. Also ceramic coating for ease of cleaning. Will have it done at delivery, and since our detailer works with the dealer, the car doesn’t move until its protected. This detailer has also done work in our garage, but at the dealer is best.
BudgetPlan1 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021 | 09:04 PM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

If you're gonna drive your car a lot and stuff like the below pic bugs you, PPF is definately worth it. The below picture is the front of our Cayman which was pretty much pristine when we bought it. One season, 12k miles later and this is now what i see every time i look at my car. There are also a few chips on rocker panel, roof and hood from daily use (no track time) as well. Having hood, bumper and fenders resprayed this winter and full PPF applied.

This car is a long-term keeper for me that will be driven as often as possible and while expensive, PPF will let me enjoy the car more w less worry.

We had wife's new car PPF'd when we got it in April 2019 and it did take me 2 years to become confident in its abilities and maintenance but im now sold on it 100%.

Kept some notes on those first 2 years with PPF along with some install considerations, maintenance notes and overall impressions here if interested: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/li...ek-dynoshield/

I'm a PITA, overly OCD-ish kinda person when it comes to appearance and i also wanna drive the snot out of our toys so PPF fits my needs nicely.

Edit: IMO, the key to PPF satisfaction is the installer. I knew *who* was going to do ours before i knew *what* they'd be installing. Quality shops use quality products and they are the experts. I did a lot of research before embarking on the PPF adventure and thought i knew what I wanted and needed; I was wrong in a few areas. Working with a good shop meant i ended up with a better overall result and saved some money in the process by eliminating unnecessary things that in the end, would have provided no real benefit.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 01-10-2021 at 09:47 PM.
HooosierDaddy (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021 | 09:45 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

I had PPF on my previous 981 CGTS primarily because I took it to the track. I currently don't have PPF on my GT4 as I've seen too many horror stories on bad installs. I do plan to eventually take my GT4 to the track, but will apply some temporary PPF.
c1pher (01-13-2021)

Quick Reply: trust / ppf / what you going to do